• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Heck, even if Sakurai says it's impossible, it's still possible ! ( look at Ridley )
And no such thing has been said about Shantae :D

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Alright. Im going to say this, as I feel a lot of people are starting to think it.

First of all, Grinch Leak content is not Shantae content. If there is a theory or speculation that might relate to Shantae regarding it, than it is acceptable. Otherwise, it is not only irrelevant content, but it is also just driving up negativity and derailing the thread. Random videos or images discussing the leak, unless it pertains to Shantae specifically, only ends up making people upset and irritated, and contributes very little to what is supposed to be a Shantae support thread.

Second, all of us here realize the strengths and weaknesses of Shantae getting into Smash. We are here to drive up support, discuss information to see if there is another point to add to her inclusion, and overall talk together about a shared newcomer. Claiming an early defeat by assuming she is just an assist trophy, despite no real change in information, does not contribute to this discussion, and yet again only contributes to a negative atmosphere. This is further reinforced if you are purposefully asking people to give up as well.

Third, please try to take a second to consider information before assuming the worst. The recent Blade Strangers response from WayForward means next to nothing for Shantae being in Smash. Take an extra second to discuss what effect it may have, and keep an open mind.

Fourth, and probably my harshest point. People who seem to be making it their goal to just derail this great thread into pointless negativity, all of you should heavily reconsider why you are in this thread if you are just trying to do just that. This is a support thread, not a "Time to give up guys" thread. It's okay to be pragmatic, but if you are going to let every little thing destroy your faith in Shantae, than maybe you never had any in the first place.

One additional point... Stop posting that Steve image. It was created to troll, and all it does now is troll. It's okay to support Steve in Smash, but that Steve render is not only irrelevant, but its quickly becoming a nuisance.

Last edited:

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
Alright. Im going to say this, as I feel a lot of people are starting to think it.

First of all, Grinch Leak content is not Shantae content. If there is a theory or speculation that might relate to Shantae regarding it, than it is acceptable. Otherwise, it is not only irrelevant content, but it is also just driving up negativity and derailing the thread. Random videos or images discussing the leak, unless it pertains to Shantae specifically, only ends up making people upset and irritated, and contributes very little to what is supposed to be a Shantae support thread.

Second, all of us here realize the strengths and weaknesses of Shantae getting into Smash. We are here to drive up support, discuss information to see if there is another point to add to her inclusion, and overall talk together about a shared newcomer. Claiming an early defeat by assuming she is just an assist trophy, despite no real change in information, does not contribute to this discussion, and yet again only contributes to a negative atmosphere. This is further reinforced if you are purposefully asking people to give up as well.

Third, please try to take a second to consider information before assuming the worst. The recent Blade Strangers response from WayForward means next to nothing for Shantae being in Smash. Take an extra second to discuss what effect it may have, and keep an open mind.

Fourth, and probably my harshest point. People who seem to be making it their goal to just derail this great thread into pointless negativity, all of you should heavily reconsider why you are in this thread if you are just trying to do just that. This is a support thread, not a "Time to give up guys" thread. It's okay to be pragmatic, but if you are going to let every little thing destroy your faith in Shantae, than maybe you never had any in the first place.

One additional point... Stop posting that Steve image. It was created to troll, and all it does now is troll. It's okay to support Steve in Smash, but that Steve render is not only irrelevant, but its quickly becoming a nuisance.
"Makes us look like a bunch of jokers! Let's not lose our heads though!" How was that? Voice acting just another one of Holly's mastered skill sets including sand sculpting. Sighhhhh... Sometimes even I don't know she got to be so amazing.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Also why are we still thinking just because wayforward mentions blade strangers means no shantae in smash... why are some of you guys super negitive some times?
Exactly. Can't a company talk about another game? You guys make it sound like if WayForward makes one peep, "It's all over folks." Even if Nintendo did secure rights to Shantae, it can't banned them for talking about different games.
Whenever it's Toy or Connor posting something, I dont see the point of lobbing others into the odd thoughts they have.
I think people should realized that bynow.

Anyway, I'm a bit impatient about it right now, so I'm going to lay off and cool off, as much as I can.

Moving on to shantae maybe.. :)

Last edited:

Swade

Smash Apprentice
With my tendency to capitulate at the smallest sign of danger, I'm surprised I haven't given up on Shantae...

I'm not at all complaining, it's great! It's just a little, odd for me...
That is a sign of good spirit on believing in your most wanted characters, my buddy.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
People are pointing to Nintendo recently renewing the trademarks to Banjo, Mach Rider, and Golden Sun as being evidence for the Grinch leak. Didn't Shantae's trademark also get renewed recently?

I also can't help but note that James recently tweeted that picture with him and Sakurai again, which PushDustin also retweeted.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yeah, that is nothing to worry about at all, they are just shifting the question. We already know Nicalis' stance on having Shantae in, they said they would love it, but it would be up to WF and Matt Bozon.

Tis just further means there are no plans to have her in the game which just makes things all the more suspicious.

zferolie

Smash Hero
People are pointing to Nintendo recently renewing the trademarks to Banjo, Mach Rider, and Golden Sun as being evidence for the Grinch leak. Didn't Shantae's trademark also get renewed recently?

I also can't help but note that James recently tweeted that picture with him and Sakurai again, which PushDustin also retweeted.
Nintendo cann't renew the copy right for banjo, they don't own them

Wwlink55

Smash Ace

I don't know anything about this myself, but I would love to see it if true.

Nintendo cann't renew the copy right for banjo, they don't own them
They can be added as a partner.

Last edited:

A1Again

Smash Cadet

I believe it was renewed in 2015, seven whole years too early. It was supposed to be renewed in 2022, supposedly.

I don't know anything about this myself, but I would love to see it if true.

They can be added as a partner.
Nintendo were listed as the previous owners. Also the trademarks for Banjo, Mach Rider, and Golden Sun were close to their renewal date along with a ton of other things so this one can be chalked up to coincidence.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Man we see that we are close to another milestone.

#ShantaeForSmash

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hachimitsu-ink posted a neat new fan art, I really like it.
This has been on my mind for a while now, but seeing Shantae & Risky's lamp has cemented it. The two of them are nearly perfect foils to each other.

Maybe you all have already realized this, but I'll explain anyway. Both of them have had their lives shaped by the Pirate Master in one way or the other. Shantae struggles with self-doubt (or at least used to) and believes in the bond she shares with her friends while Risky is unwavering and sees almost everyone around her as a means to an end. And when it comes to fighting, Shantae primarily uses her magic abilities while Risky relies on her physical prowess and technology, not to mention the obvious light/dark pairing. They also work well together because of this... when they have a common interest anyway.

Which brings me to series's portrayal of dark magic again. Is it possible the Pirate Master is actually still alive and influencing others with it as a spirit, just as he was at the start of the series? We don't really have concrete evidence that he was truly destroyed at the end of Pirate's Curse, and Risky seems just as determined to carry on his work despite her intense dislike of him (incidentally I'd like to point out an interesting deconstruction of piracy she shows: never once does she show interest in accumulating wealth or treasure. After all, what use is it if you're accustomed to stealing whatever you need?). Could she have been mistaken over the curse being broken? And... could Shantae potentially learn to use dark magic from settings where it does not directly influence it's wielder?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Nintendo were listed as the previous owners. Also the trademarks for Banjo, Mach Rider, and Golden Sun were close to their renewal date along with a ton of other things so this one can be chalked up to coincidence.
The question is, what other games (that arent those) have gotten trademark renewals in the same time period range?

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
The question is, what other games (that arent those) have gotten trademark renewals in the same time period range?
Well, thats the thing. It seems like the timing for when trademarks are updated, if they even are, happen rather sporadically.

If I recall correctly, the King K.Rool trademark was updated less than two weeks before the August direct.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well, thats the thing. It seems like the timing for when trademarks are updated, if they even are, happen rather sporadically.

If I recall correctly, the King K.Rool trademark was updated less than two weeks before the August direct as far as I know.
It could be coincidence, but also what Im wondering is what other games were renewed because there's probably a ton of other ones that happened in these last months (or years?), but people dont focus on those because they're not about characters they think might be in :p
Just a line of thought I'm wondering about.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
It could be coincidence, but also what Im wondering is what other games were renewed because there's probably a ton of other ones that happened in these last months (or years?), but people dont focus on those because they're not about characters they think might be in :p
Well, I've noticed quite a few have had them renewed at weird times. Simon was (supposedly) done before even E3, even though he wasn't announced until August. Unless we missed it already, a Shantae trademark could easily appear extremely shortly before any bit of news we'll receive within the next month.

Last edited:
This thread should be of some use https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1055964654998962176

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
This has been on my mind for a while now, but seeing Shantae & Risky's lamp has cemented it. The two of them are nearly perfect foils to each other.

Maybe you all have already realized this, but I'll explain anyway. Both of them have had their lives shaped by the Pirate Master in one way or the other. Shantae struggles with self-doubt (or at least used to) and believes in the bond she shares with her friends while Risky is unwavering and sees almost everyone around her as a means to an end. And when it comes to fighting, Shantae primarily uses her magic abilities while Risky relies on her physical prowess and technology, not to mention the obvious light/dark pairing. They also work well together because of this... when they have a common interest anyway.

Which brings me to series's portrayal of dark magic again. Is it possible the Pirate Master is actually still alive and influencing others with it as a spirit, just as he was at the start of the series? We don't really have concrete evidence that he was truly destroyed at the end of Pirate's Curse, and Risky seems just as determined to carry on his work despite her intense dislike of him (incidentally I'd like to point out an interesting deconstruction of piracy she shows: never once does she show interest in accumulating wealth or treasure. After all, what use is it if you're accustomed to stealing whatever you need?). Could she have been mistaken over the curse being broken? And... could Shantae potentially learn to use dark magic from settings where it does not directly influence it's wielder?
i wasn't expecting to see something like this but this was spot on. i had the idea to make a youtube video based on the dichotomy between the two and a lot of the theming and writing behind Shantae as a franchise.

well, nintendo themselves didn't renew the trademark, as they do not own Banjo or Kazooie. however you are for the most part correct and i had not even considered this. more suspicious circumstancial evidence for the Shantae support spreadsheet? :)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
i wasn't expecting to see something like this but this was spot on. i had the idea to make a youtube video based on the dichotomy between the two and a lot of the theming and writing behind Shantae as a franchise.

well, nintendo themselves didn't renew the trademark, as they do not own Banjo or Kazooie. however you are for the most part correct and i had not even considered this. more suspicious circumstancial evidence for the Shantae support spreadsheet? :)
uhh.. what makes it evidence for shantae??

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Well, I've noticed quite a few have had them renewed at weird times. Simon was (supposedly) done before even E3, even though he wasn't announced until August. Unless we missed it already, a Shantae trademark could easily appear extremely shortly before any bit of news we'll receive within the next month.
I'll point you to this post. :)
I believe it was renewed in 2015, seven whole years too early. It was supposed to be renewed in 2022, supposedly.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Hello guys, has anyone seen the crop image thing thats been going around about that mural?
Yes, and me and someone in the Geno thread found how it doesnt really add up, because of the blog numbers.

for those who dont know, Basically there was an edit in the character banner at the time of the nintendo direct, and it ends up being where Isaac is in the leak. So Isaac fans think that it means he was supposed to be in but got cut due to the earthquake.

But the blog numbers say differently.

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
No. What happened?
Basically what teeb just said.
Yes, and me and someone in the Geno thread found how it doesnt really add up, because of the blog numbers.

for those who dont know, Basically there was an edit in the character banner at the time of the nintendo direct, and it ends up being where Isaac is in the leak. So Isaac fans think that it means he was supposed to be in but got cut due to the earthquake.

But the blog numbers say differently.
So what does the blog numbers have to do with it? :0

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Im not sure why he would be cut from the direct, considering the Earthquake happened very shortly before the original date. Assuming the directs are filmed ahead of time, they would have had to cut Isaac out of the direct entirely...for some reason?

If the direct was already completed, why remove him at all?

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Im not sure why he would be cut from the direct, considering the Earthquake happened very shortly before the original date. Assuming the directs are filmed ahead of time, they would have had to cut Isaac out of the direct entirely...for some reason?

If the direct was already completed, why remove him at all?
Because showing off a guy making earthquakes when a very real earthquake killed people just last week is a guaranteed PR trainwreck.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Because showing off a guy making earthquakes when a very real earthquake killed people just last week is a guaranteed PR trainwreck.
I believe that Isaac possibly was meant to be shown at that time due to the direct feeling a little choppy in some areas with the transitions. When luigi's mansion 3 was shown, its reveal just felt awkward in the pacing.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Hello guys, has anyone seen the crop image thing thats been going around about that mural?
I posted this in the main Smash discussion thread but everyone ignored it:

Haven't followed the thread in awhile so sorry for the repeated points, but two points I have:

-The website banner has the characters spread out to better account for the fact that it loops. The Grinch mural is the version with the characters more condensed since it doesn't need to loop. Thus why are we comparing them to each other over Isaac's potential spot in it? Basically we have no idea where Issac would be scooted to in the website mural but it wouldn't match the Grinch Mural.

-Assuming Isaac was cut last minute, why would he be in the same spot from September 13 all the way to when the Grinch mural is shown off, when basically everyone moves or shifts with the addition of new characters?

Whether the leak is real or not, I don't think Isaac was planned for September 13 and this is just a website glitch that happens to be coincidental.
This is why I hate this leak as it's more people wanting it to be real than people thinking it could be real.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Basically what teeb just said.
So what does the blog numbers have to do with it? :0
The blog numbers are in order, but when the nintendo direct was delayed it got messed up, so isabelle was #134 but showed up out of order because she was supposed to show 1 week before. There were not enough other spaces for a second character to be revealed. (The other numbers showed up too.)

That said, it's still possible in some cases, but I think it's pretty unlikely.
And what are the odds that Isaac wouldve been shown at that time and would had to be cut for pr reasons. Though again, anything's possible..

I posted this in the main Smash discussion thread but everyone ignored it:

This is why I hate this leak as it's more people wanting it to be real than people thinking it could be real.
The post you made has really good points too. I had thought it seemed odd for possible reasons like that, but I focused on the blog numbers.
And to back up that it could just be a website/image glitch, there's other places that had cuts of sorts too.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Im not sure what to think when it comes to blog and music theory... I feel like they are above weird patterns like that, especially if we are loud enough to make them aware of it (if such a pattern does exist). I somehow get the feeling that any surprise announcements are going to be made as unpredictable as possible, rather than like clockwork.

I just have an odd feeling of a big surprise around the corner...

Last edited:
Top Bottom