• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Since I'm still here, I might as well say, lots of artists are pretty good these days, replicating certain styles is not that rare. Still depends who though, of course.
Art takes in many different styles on the one who makes it. No art is 100% the same, but can almost look like the original in a different way

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Art takes in many different styles on the one who makes it. No art is 100% the same, but can almost look like the original in a different way
Right, there can sometimes be marks of an artist's style anyway.

Doesn't matter as much when it's not as high quality tho(like blurry).

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
This is the artist I was referring to: Pepy (Twitter)

I suspect who made that leak must of bought a whole bunch of commission work and used those for the leak. Thoughts on my theory?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This is the artist I was referring to: Pepy (Twitter)

I suspect who made that leak must of bought a whole bunch of commission work and used those for the leak. Thoughts on my theory?
No, it's much simpler than that. It only takes one artist leaker, lol. It's like that artist who made the bomberman one, it just takes a bit of effort and a good artist can pull it off, and it's especially easy when it's blurry. This one isnt even blurry at all:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
No, it's much simpler than that. It only takes one artist leaker, lol. It's like that artist who made the bomberman one, it just takes a bit of effort and a good artist can pull it off, and it's especially easy when it's blurry. This one isnt even blurry at all:

(Sighs) what could’ve been, but I won’t complain considering we got Simon in his place

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I didn't say it was him. I said maybe the leaker bought a bunch of commissions from him and did some heavy photoshopping himself to make the "leak".

Again, this is what I think is the case.
That's unlikely and people wouldve found who it is by now if they were public. I mean, not saying something like that isn't possible, if someone wanted to waste money, and if it's someone known they might feel guilty about their art being used like that, ptentially.. , but anyway there's much simpler explanations.

Anyway, I feel like ive overstayed on this topic. and i need to go, cyas.
i'm all for talking back about shantae i think ;p

Last edited:

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
That's unlikely and people wouldve found who it is by now if they were public. I mean, not saying something like that isn't possible, if someone wanted to waste money, and if it's someone known they might feel guilty about their art being used like that, ptentially.. , but anyway there's much simpler explanations.

Anyway, I feel like ive overstayed on this topic. cyas.
i'm all for talking back about shantae i think ;p
You're right. I just wanted to share that theory on that is all.

To change the topic back to Shantae, what do you think her Final Smash should be?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I didn't say it was him. I said maybe the leaker bought a bunch of commissions from him and did some heavy photoshopping himself to make the "leak".

Again, this is what I think is the case.
I think he'd say so instead of pointing out a funny similarity and saying "prolly real."

I mean, he could be hiding it, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Prodis

Smash Rookie
[QUOTE=" To change the topic back to Shantae, what do you think her Final Smash should be?[/QUOTE]

Friends Till The End!: Shantae pulling a Robin and calling in help from Bolo, Rotty and Sky to beat on the baddies while she dances above, preparing to finish em off with a super charged Elephant Stomp!

EDIT: Woops, someone beat me to it

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Has anyone posted this?
Fun little parody.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
To change the topic back to Shantae, what do you think her Final Smash should be?
Similar to Captain falcon, but she calls Sky and wrench who knocks the player into the cinematic and then Rotty gets a shot in, then Bolo, and then end it off with Shantae.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Similar to Captain falcon, but she calls Sky and wrench who knocks the player into the cinematic and then Rotty gets a shot in, then Bolo, and then end it off with Shantae.
Or maybe "Friends to the End" which Sky, Rottytops and Bolo come to help.
Friends Till The End!: Shantae pulling a Robin and calling in help from Bolo, Rotty and Sky to beat on the baddies while she dances above, preparing to finish em off with a super charged Elephant Stomp!

EDIT: Woops, someone beat me to it
Pretty sure I said something like this a few dozen pages back. :p Though I said Obliterate Dance instead of an Elephant Stomp.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
All I want for sure for her Final Smash is
A. You know that the Final Smashes have different backgrounds some of which are character specific?
For her background to resemble the Genie Realm:
FCDD6B46-15AC-497B-8C10-6946E5F34358.png

B. For this to be the final hit that sends her opponents flying:
C0AE2476-9FE1-4EB9-930E-92DA47B83ABF.png

That said I could also see her trapping opponents with Metmaid Bubble and rapidly flying across it the screen with different transformations Super Sonic style.

Did I scare everyone off again?

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
All I want for sure for her Final Smash is
A. You know that the Final Smashes have different backgrounds some of which are character specific?
For her background to resemble the Genie Realm:
View attachment 172841

B. For this to be the final hit that sends her opponents flying:

That said I could also see her trapping opponents with Metmaid Bubble and rapidly flying across it the screen with different transformations Super Sonic style.

Did I scare everyone off again?

Personally, if there was going to be a background for Shantae's final smash, I would prefer it to be Scuttle Town. I think thats more fitting for her.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Personally, if there was going to be a background for Shantae's final smash, I would prefer it to be Scuttle Town. I think thats more fitting for her.
Scuttle Town would probably already be part of her stage, I’m referring to the motion effects for the ones that take place on the stage. If it was a cinematic one then maybe, but if she doesn’t take you out of the stage then that’s the background effects I think would fit her while performing her FS.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Well, actually for once you found a good claim for the leak being real.
It's a good possible explanation for certain things not looking the same. Not all, but it does raise the bar a little higher.

Edit: It doesnt mean the video quality was bad like he points out though. and the characters' quality would say differently. (It's not consistent with the types of effect suggested, from artifacts)

Here's the quote of the post, for people to see:

It explains a possibility for artifacts of the 'video' quality the picture was from making the background looking like it does.
I don't think it explains all the differences, but it does show that it's possible for some things to look quite different depending on the artifacts.
So what it's saying is that anybody could've photoshopped their own version of the banner by playing with one simple setting. I think that helps it be more fake than anything.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Personally, I don't even think the Shantae franchise has enough fanservice...

Senran Kagura probably has the perfect amount. ;)
My only problem With Senran Kagura is a lack of diversity. I mean what about the guys like me who prefer the B and A cup ladies?

Anyway, I've been gone for a day. Have I missed anything?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
My only problem With Senran Kagura is a lack of diversity. I mean what about the guys like me who prefer the B and A cup ladies?

Holy **** somebody other than me shares that opinion.

You haven't really missed anything huge. Just people still talking about leaks and debates happening.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So what it's saying is that anybody could've photoshopped their own version of the banner by playing with one simple setting. I think that helps it be more fake than anything.
Well I thought that was already a given, but there's no point in pohtoshopping it to make it inconsistent with the real thing, you'd want it to look real to convince people. Though yes some of it could be to cover up the quality of the character art, in comparison..

But the point of the post was to show a way to imitate video artifacts and show that it could simply be the quality of the video (and picture) of snapcahtting the banner leak that made it look like it did, and explain not just the blurriness but the inconsistencies of the background. Sure enough, it's a good point, but it's just a possibility, and it still remains that the leak background doesnt look good, and the snapchat video quality doesnt quite explain how bad it is, especially compared to the character quality.

Could still be real. But I think the best it has for it is the 'effort' it would take to make it all, which isn't really solid.

A few things, but here mostly just leak arguments and then shantae stuff.. ;p

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
You bring up incineroar a lot, but it could be leak bait like some are saying. I dont think it'll be in (though i dont have anything to back that up ;p)

I agree with that, but i still see that as unlikely, considering that there's less stuff as well as detail in the leak one. (some of it could be explained by blurriness, but not all of it at all)
I only bring him up as every single insider mentions him. I suppose it could be leak bait but has nintendo ever done that before? Only SE seems to do that. and wouldn't leak bait be better if you give out multiple pokemon names?

The game has Katsuragi, truely best girl, so the game is perfect.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I only bring him up as every single insider mentions him. I suppose it could be leak bait but has nintendo ever done that before? Only SE seems to do that. and wouldn't leak bait be better if you give out multiple pokemon names?

Maybe it's just to discount the credibility of leakers in general, else one of them would have it right. Seeing as how a lot of them say incineroar.. If/when he doesn't show up, people would be like 'say what? they didnt know ****', and then bam people trust them less.

It could also just be that they share a same source, someone who was willing to share that with different people. Or even piggybacking.

I know it sounds weird to discount many of them saying his name, but my gut says he's not actually in. If I'm wrong then I'll be like ok I cant always trust my gut, or that part of it :p

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

Everything is subjective, of course. Personally I don't care for much more than a handful, and blonde is my least favorite hair color: red>brown>black>blonde.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Everything is subjective, of course. Personally I don't care for much more than a handful, and blonde is my least favorite hair color: red>brown>black>blonde.
Depends who's rocking which hair, imo ;p
But yeh to each their own favorite flavour ;)

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Depends who's rocking which hair, imo ;p
But yeh to each their own favorite flavour ;)
Oh that goes without saying. There is always the chance that a person may have just the right combination of features that makes them perfect even if they don't have your usual triggers. I'm just talking in general.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I like Katsuragi more for her personality then anything else. she is just so fun

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh that goes without saying. There is always the chance that a person may have just the right combination of features that makes them perfect even if they don't have your usual triggers. I'm just talking in general.
Glad we agree. Some really have a great combination. Some grow on ya too ;p

on that note. :tired:..
Goodnighty

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
>Talking about Senran Kagura girls

>Nobody mentions Ryobi

Man... not a lot of good taste here tonight.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Just to remind people AGAIN that with fake leaks anyone can put in effort if they wanted to. Artsy and the Palutena 3DS screenshot leak should tell you all you need to know. Heck the recent Geno leak was another case.

Artsy became well known after he did that Rayman leak so whose to say that someone else would not repeat history.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
The more I think about it...the more and more I feel like that, if there is an indie rep, it just HAS to be Shantae. Im trying to think of another character that is not only popular, but is also relevant, has an easy-to-craft kit, and has had developers openly-voicing their support for her inclusion.

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
I think all of the circumstantial evidence for shantae is just lining up soo well and is showing such a consistent pattern not too mention the favoritism and good will she's gained for Nintendo it's very safe to say she's in (as a fighter following the narrative of her evidence). I look at it less now as if she will be in and more how will she be shown of as a fighter?

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I think all of the circumstantial evidence for shantae is just lining up soo well and is showing such a consistent pattern not too mention the favoritism and good will she's gained for Nintendo it's very safe to say she's in (as a fighter following the narrative of her evidence). I look at it less now as if she will be in and more how will she be shown of as a fighter?
Exactly. It feels like too many things are lining up, way more than other fighters who only reach the limelight because of "leaks". Ken and Incineroar would be nobodies without Vergeben, and the latest handful wouldn't even be on the radar without the banner "leak". Shantae, meanwhile, has many other things behind her that dont even need fake leaks to justify her chances and popularity.

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. It feels like too many things are lining up, way more than other fighters who only reach the limelight because of "leaks". Ken and Incineroar would be nobodies without Vergeben, and the latest handful wouldn't even be on the radar without the banner "leak". Shantae, meanwhile, has many other things behind her that dont even need fake leaks to justify her chances and popularity.
And I know a lot of people like to use shovel knight as a way to cut down her popularity but it's one that has persisted for way longer! Even with the first shantae it was seen as almost a lost gem that needed to come back. (I remember reading that it in gaming magazines!) And when she does come back what do you know it's the best game on that platform! (dsi ware) And it's still very relevant and personal to Nintendo to this day!

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
And I know a lot of people like to use shovel knight as a way to cut down her popularity but it's one that has persisted for way longer! Even with the first shantae it was seen as almost a lost gem that needed to come back. (I remember reading that it in gaming magazines!) And when she does come back what do you know it's the best game on that platform! (dsi ware) And it's still very relevant and personal to Nintendo to this day!
While she was definitely less of an immediate hit than Shovel Knight, the way Nintendo treats her is very similar, almost as if they see no real difference between the two. If Nintendo themselves feel she is deserving of a place right next to Shovel Knight, no amount of popularity debates is going to change that.

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
While she was definitely less of an immediate hit than Shovel Knight, the way Nintendo treats her is very similar, almost as if they see no real difference between the two. If Nintendo themselves feel she is deserving of a place right next to Shovel Knight, no amount of popularity debates is going to change that.
Yeah that's kind of my point too they're popularity is at a very even level playing field. But i do think her other strengths for being chosen play more into Nintendo's favour and ultimately that's what it comes down to... Kinda like bayonetta.

Top Bottom