• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I agree dose sakurai talk about 3rd party fighters first like simon because I feel there’s 1 more to be announced
I think there's two more 3rd party characters left to be announced. Those two being Geno and Shantae/Banjo-Kazooie. Geno will make it due to his legacy with the Smash community wanting him for so many years like Ridley and King K. Rool. Shantae and Banjo though? It's tough to say, but Banjo does have a better chance because of his legacy with the N64 but I believe only one of them are making it into the base roster.
Hollywoodrok12 Hollywoodrok12 wrote this in the spread sheet and I want what you guys think about this

“Assuming Cristina Vee is, in fact, under an NDA, she would need to record new Voice Lines. While not impossible, it is unlikely that an Assist Trophy would need to have new lines recorded, since all they need to do is resuse some of her voice lines. These voice lines would be ""Ret-2-Go"", a few ""grunts"" for when she's attacking, some screams for when she's hit/KO'd, and her saying ""Transform!"" when she transforms, if she uses those to attack. It wouldn't be impossible for her to be recording new voice lines for an AT, but it wouldn't make sense for the Smash team to have to get her on board when they can just reuse voice clips that already fit the roles needed. Also, it is unlikely that they would reuse her voice lines for a fighter, since she would probably need some victory quotes besides ""All Clear!"". Because of this, the most likely result is that she had recorded new voice lines for a fighter.”
I agree.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
It seems like there's too much hype and odd circumstances for her to just be an assist trophy... The only real excuse I can see is "hey, Shovel Knight is much more popular than her, so she cant be a higher status than him!"

Even though Nintendo clearly doesn't treat Shantae any different from Shovel Knight. Not only that, but if I recall correctly she is far more popular in Japan than Shovel Knight.

Nintendo is clearly not factoring in raw sales when it comes to the two indie characters, so either the statistic of "<100,000 sales" is wrong, or Nintendo doesn't care.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Even though Nintendo clearly doesn't treat Shantae any different from Shovel Knight. Not only that, but if I recall correctly she is far more popular in Japan than Shovel Knight.
You would be correct in saying that, yes.

Shovel Knight was a commercial flop in Japan (unfortunately), but, the first Shantae game to be released there, Pirate's Curse, actually performed very well, and has gained quite a following. :)

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace

Shovel Knight was a commercial flop in Japan (unfortunately), but, the first Shantae game to be released there, Pirate's Curse, actually performed very well, and has gained quite a following. :)
What about Half-Genie Hero? I know the producer of BOTW has a copy.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think there's two more 3rd party characters left to be announced. Those two being Geno and Shantae/Banjo-Kazooie. Geno will make it due to his legacy with the Smash community wanting him for so many years like Ridley and King K. Rool. Shantae and Banjo though? It's tough to say, but Banjo does have a better chance because of his legacy with the N64 but I believe only one of them are making it into the base roster.
A legacy that has been tarnished by an ill-advised vehicle spinoff, and never really recovered from. Shantae has yet to release a dud. Not saying it can't happen, but I think Shantae has more going for her at the moment.
Truth to be told, I'd rather just have Shantae use her Hair Whip, Items, Genie Magic and maybe some Fighting Gear Moves in her Smash Moveset.
Because that is the true Shantae.

In Pirate's Curse, as great as it might be, Shantae wasn't really Shantae, gameplay-wise (except for the Hair Whipping)
She was a Risky Boots stand-in. A temporary measure to cover for her lost abilities.
Which I don't think is a good representation of her character. if it were used as moveset in Smash.

Now, I am not against a few moves in her kit referencing moves from Pirate's Curse.
But making her whole Smash Moveset only revolve around Pirate's Curse and tossing everything else aside, that truly belongs to her...
I dunno, I think that would be an unwise decision.

Pirate's Curse may or may not be the best. That's entirely subjective.
But even if that's your opinion, I just don't think it's fair to completely disregard her moves from all other Shantae games.
There are a lot of reasons I can see for Pirate's Curse being the most beloved Shantae game. But the Pirate Gear isn't appreciated just for it's own sake, it was it's implementation that made controlling Shantae very fluid and dynamic. You could easily take that implementation for her magic abilities, or find a happy medium between that and dancing. Frankly, there's a lot of overlap in the abilities granted by either.

Not to mention if she used gear in conjunction with the magic she has, that would carry the implication she stole it from Risky for no real reason. And that would be extremely unwise considering that last time Risky merely thought Shantae took her stuff, she broke into her home and threatened bodily harm if she wouldn't talk. You don't mess lightly with someone who knows where you live and can make your life a living hell.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
A legacy that has been tarnished by an ill-advised vehicle spinoff, and never really recovered from. Shantae has yet to release a dud. Not saying it can't happen, but I think Shantae has more going for her at the moment.
Still, the legacy of their N64 games are more than enough to get them in over any other 3rd party character that isn't in yet.

P.S. Nuts & Bolts never happened.

Last edited:

A1Again

Smash Cadet

Not to mention quite a bit of Japanese artwork from big artists, most recently being the artist behind Disgaea... which was a huge deal to Matt.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Not to mention quite a bit of Japanese artwork from big artists, most recently being the artist behind Disgaea... which was a huge deal to Matt.
WAIT.
The artist for Disgaea drew her!?

As someone who loves Disgaea, I would like to ask you to post it. Thats awesome!

D

Deleted member

I would die in exitement to have banjo but then I remembered Phill said he would still like to see banjo meaning there is no nda but that doesn’t mean he’s not coming He be perfect for dlc I can see him as a lock GUH-HUH!

As for geno I don’t think he be a new third party he would likely be in the super MARIO franchise

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
You know the entire spreadsheet we've got under BillyBo's eyes? Welp :p

We got ourselves a straggler. XD With all due respect to Geno fans on here, of course. It's just funny how coincidental that a few days after the Shantae spreadsheet went onto KYM, this came in.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace

We got ourselves a straggler. XD With all due respect to Geno fans on here, of course. It's just funny how coincidental that a few days after the Shantae spreadsheet went onto KYM, this came in.
It was pretty likely that, if an image leak was real, it was going to be a Geno one due to the sheer amount of them that exist.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

It was made by a couple of people in the Geno thread, as they were finding the leak to become more-likely to be real, and then we all hit a brick wall, so we don't know if it's real or not. I will say that the model's lighting and polygon-count seem to fit Ultimate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

SHANTAE AND GENO CONFERMED!!!!

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Huh, it's presented pretty nicely actually. Props to the guys in the Geno thread. :)

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I was already considering Geno almost confirmed simply because he is one of the big 3 in terms of fan speculation picks (Geno, Ridley, King K.Rool), and so far he has been the only one not to get in.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would die in exitement to have banjo but then I remembered Phill said he would still like to see banjo meaning there is no nda but that doesn’t mean he’s not coming He be perfect for dlc I can see him as a lock GUH-HUH!

As for geno I don’t think he be a new third party he would likely be in the super MARIO franchise
Geno would be a 3rd party character because he is not owned by Nintendo, he is owned by Square-Enix.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Geno would be a 3rd party character because he is not owned by Nintendo, he is owned by Square-Enix.
So would SMRPG be counted as it’s own thing and not be classified under the Super Mario series?

I’m assuming this was brought up in the Geno thread, but I am not searching through that many pages on my own

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So would SMRPG be counted as it’s own thing and not be classified under the Super Mario series?

I’m assuming this was brought up in the Geno thread, but I am not searching through that many pages on my own
It's a weird grey area, and it is one thing I think is a bit undecided on in the Geno thread. I think he would have to be separated to make it very clear what is and is not owned by Square in this deal.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

It's funny because he's technically a Mario character, while also being owned by a third-party so that sucks, feels similar to Banjo-Kazooie as they are seen as Nintendo characters, but are owned by Rare who were bought by Microsoft.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
It seems like there's too much hype and odd circumstances for her to just be an assist trophy... The only real excuse I can see is "hey, Shovel Knight is much more popular than her, so she cant be a higher status than him!"

Nintendo is clearly not factoring in raw sales when it comes to the two indie characters, so either the statistic of "<100,000 sales" is wrong, or Nintendo doesn't care.
I'm not sure I agree with that, since I haven't really been seeing Nintendo promote Shantae since the ballot ended beyond a couple RTs. Unlike Shantae, I recall Shovel Knight making appearances in directs and stuff, but not her.

I'm not so sure how I feel about the "one real image leak" thing, since if the guy knew, he could have just said who it is.

D

Deleted member

Even if Geno is a Mario character, he is still owned by Square-Enix so he will be classified as a fighter from the Mario RPG series and not the Mario series.
So what your saying is that he’s gonna waste a third party slot?

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I'm not sure I agree with that, since I haven't really been seeing Nintendo promote Shantae since the ballot ended beyond a couple RTs. Unlike Shantae, I recall Shovel Knight making appearances in directs and stuff, but not her.

I'm not so sure how I feel about the "one real image leak" thing, since if the guy knew, he could have just said who it is.
Earlier this year she was on the splash screen for the "indies" section of 3DS, sometime in late April to early May

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I'm pretty positive Geno will use the Mushroom icon, which represents every character from the Mario series.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Just bought 1/2 genie hero ultimate edition, looking forward to playing through it.

Top Bottom