• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Honestly, coming back to Octolings, I don't understand the argument "They won't make it in, because they're too new".
They have been in Splatoon since the beginning, as one of the stronger enemies in the game.
And since they became so popular and fans wanted them playable, Nintendo eventually delivered with redesigned Octolings in Octo Expansion.

When people say "Octolings for Smash" it doesn't have to be the Octo Expansion Octolings from Splatoon 2.
They could very well be the original Octolings from the first Splatoon.
I like the idea of having the base Splatoon 2 Octoling (Agent 8) as the default skin but have the S1 Octos as alt skins. If (more like when) Octolings make it I'm praying for an alt skin based off Marina........
but where I'm having issues is imagining eight colors 100% distinctive from the eight we already have so that playing mixed games of Inklings and Octolings don't become a mess of "Who's color belong to what?"
There's like 30+ different colors in Splatoon multiplayer and that's not even counting the special Splatfest ink colors. I also don't think ink stays on the field long enough for it to be a huge deal.
We already have blue and light blue inklings, no reason we can't have dark green, reddish pink, cyan, blueish green, ect for the Octolings.

EDIT: Here's an image of all the ink colors from just Splatoon 1, I THINK there's enough for 16 different ink colors.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
The funny thing is that I think Octolings would make amazing Echo Fighters and I fully support it, but where I'm having issues is imagining eight colors 100% distinctive from the eight we already have so that playing mixed games of Inklings and Octolings don't become a mess of "Who's color belong to what?"
I was gonna mention that, yeah I’d be on board too with them but I don’t know if the ink colors would pose a problem with that

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Like if you agree that This guy is wrong and is also a j***a**.
While I agree, this is just some random dude on Twitter, just another guy to laugh at if Shantae actually does make it.

Posts like this will come bite me if she gets deconfirmed though :( I wish we had an outright answer from Wayforward so I could move on with my life lmao

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I got a hot take on the potential possible Nintendo Direct on October, more specifically who'll likely be revealed.
And this hinges on Sakurai or the development team actually checking the Internet for whose still popular, but was realizable in the Ballot.
Here are my predictions: We're going to get one unique fighter and possibly two echos this time around (or it could be the opposite and be two uniques and one echo. Or it could just be one unique and one echo). And if it's a Smash Direct, then Spirits Mode will likely make its debut here, and with that an appropriately themed reveal trailer(s). He'll likely then reveal the most obvious mechanics behind Spirits. Likely will introduce the last of the items or Pokeball Pokemons, and a final showcase of the Assist Trophy gallery. It'll end with a run-down of the extra modes, whatever they may be.
Now, for whom I'm going to predict this time around, though I'll just theme it around one topic: Wishes.
1. Shantae. What better way to "rip the bandaid" off than to give "leakers" the proverbial middle finger and show off Shantae? It can also be effective in "calming" us down as well as the more on-the-fence supporters. However, it's inevitable that backlash will arise, so it's also handy to show her off at the beginning, to get us pumped up for the newest features. Of course, why not give her Scuttle Town as her home stage?
2(?). Geno. Being the guardian spirit or whatever of the Seven Stars, he would make sense to show off at the end. Because of his status, the hype would be at maximum overdrive, perfect for an end sequence involving one of the most notoriously missing pieces of the Smash Bros puzzle. With this, there'll be Mario RPG music to come with it, some remixed, some original.
As for echoes, well, it'll be a sort of confusing way to reveal them, but here's my predictions:
1. Either Ken or Akuma as Ryu's Echo. The latter could work if you want to keep the "Good v. Evil" motif, even if Akuma's more a neutral being with a bloody lust for fighting. And both gives the Street Fighter games more creed. Personally, I'd prefer Akuma because Ken is what everyone and their late great-grandma are predicting.
2(?). Medusa as Palutena's Echo. There's no way you can't show her off any other time than October. As for what would make her unique from her base? Why not retool some of Palutena's custom moves to make them work for the Goddess of Evil? Another possible option is Viridi, but I would say her chances are lower than Medusa's, even if they both have justification.

If my predictions somehow comes true, I'll eat a short.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I think if Shantae were announced in a direct, she would be placed at the start of the direct so Sakurai could have an opportunity to talk about why she got in and go in detail about her abilities. If Sakurai goes in depth with her moveset at all there's almost a 300% chance she will have mechanics unique to her which would take time to explain similar to how he went in depths with Simon and Richter and their range.

I don't want her in the next direct because her being fighter #69 would be so terrible for all of us

D

Deleted member

Who agrees with me that our Pokémon rep will be a gen 3?

Makai Wars Makai Wars im sorry. it’s the only price to pay for her to get in besides it dosent matter to me

Last edited by a moderator:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
I think if Shantae were announced in a direct, she would be placed at the start of the direct so Sakurai could have an opportunity to talk about why she got in and go in detail about her abilities. If Sakurai goes in depth with her moveset at all there's almost a 300% chance she will have mechanics unique to her which would take time to explain similar to how he went in depths with Simon and Richter and their range.

I don't want her in the next direct because her being fighter #69 would be so terrible for all of us
69 is nothing more than a number. Yes, it may have sexy connotations, but it's nothing more than just a number with no inherent meaning, aside from being greater than 68, but less than 70. If people want to use the sexy definition, let 'em. It's no skin off my bones.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I still think everyone is jumping the gun assuming that the Smash reveal will come in a Smash-centric Direct. It makes no sense for them to have a Direct this far out from the release date and reveal only one character in such Direct. If they were going to have one now, they would have to have another in November in order to finish off the character reveals, because there's no way we only have one more character left to be revealed. Having two Smash presentations in back to back months is silly and highly unlikely. This is most likely going to be a one-off Smash reveal where they just stream a trailer and maybe announce the final Smash Direct to come in very late October/early November.

grizby2

Smash Lord
69 is nothing more than a number. Yes, it may have sexy connotations, but it's nothing more than just a number with no inherent meaning, aside from being greater than 68, but less than 70. If people want to use the sexy definition, let 'em. It's no skin off my bones.
69 also looks like the zodiac sign for Cancer :awesome:. (albeit shifted 90 degress)

also, I like your predictions, you have good taste.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Alright, quick question. What are going to be some games that's gonna possibly be queued up for a release during the holiday seasons of 2018? Because I feel there might not be enough for a Direct that won't have an absolutely large amount of time dedicated to Smash Bros. And Smash Bros is going to be a holiday blitzkreig hit, which may have Nintendo deciding to hype Smash Bros up even more. Of course, I'm likely wrong in my assumptions that October 10th will be the time that we're going to see a Smash-oriented Direct and that it'll likely be November, when the game has likely gone gold, though I could dream.

also, I like your predictions, you have good taste.
Thank you! Though it's "good taste" from a Shantae-centric viewpoint XP I do like me some good risky, yet still possibly safe picks, however!

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Alright, quick question. What are going to be some games that's gonna possibly be queued up for a release during the holiday seasons of 2018? Because I feel there might not be enough for a Direct that won't have an absolutely large amount of time dedicated to Smash Bros. And Smash Bros is going to be a holiday blitzkreig hit, which may have Nintendo deciding to hype Smash Bros up even more. Of course, I'm likely wrong in my assumptions that October 10th will be the time that we're going to see a Smash-oriented Direct and that it'll likely be November, when the game has likely gone gold, though I could dream.
LGPE is a big name even if it's uh, got a less than stellar public opinion, the fact is that Nintendo considers it a big deal and I'm entirely certain we're getting a direct detailing some stuff about LGPE followed up with a Pokemon reveal trailer not unlike how we got Isabelle followed up with the AC2019 announcement.
After that though it's Smash, Smash, Smash. Even LGPE is being eclipsed by it. As I see it, the timeline is gonna be something like
  1. General direct that focuses on Pokemon ending with a Pokemon reveal trailer (please anything but the tiger)
  2. LGPE's release
  3. The final Smash direct which goes into detail about online and Spirits mode
  4. Ultimate's release
I could see the first direct happening in October maybe?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Damn, I didn't think the Shantae hate was this bad that they would make fan art of it. Just don't give them reasons to hate her
Do it after she's confirmed as playable :D
It seems like its just a poke at the "Hard Core Mode of HGH" you see the text in the background.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

Yeah, I imagine if she got revealed, they would have to do it in the beginning so he could follow up with an explanation of why she was selected (i.e. as the first indie character and why her over other indies) plus all the talk of inklings and Octolings got me thinking...

What if her reveal trailer was some inklings running around splatting octarians(as they do) when suddenly a shadow casts over them and they turn to see the Squid Baron. As he looks more like an octopus than a squid they would start attacking him, sending him into his usual teleporting and dashing rage, to which Shantae bursts in to put him in his place. The trailer would then go on to show off her moveset, her stage and a Squid Baron boss.

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Damn, I didn't think the Shantae hate was this bad that they would make fan art of it. Just don't give them reasons to hate her
Do it after she's confirmed as playable :D
Eeh.. I mean, is that really hard art though? Its just shantae badly beaten trying to get through hardcore mode.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Best case scenario IMO, next reveals are Shantae and Medusa as an Echo. That would blow so many holes in the leakers that they'd drown in their own salty tears.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Best case scenario IMO, next reveals are Shantae and Medusa as an Echo. That would blow so many holes in the leakers that they'd drown in their own salty tears.
The whole Smash community needs a Robin/Lucina esque shake up.

The problem with Box theory isn't so much that there's only two characters, it's that it's a theory based on shaky evidence and people are treating it as the one and only truth.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

Just be debunked already I hate your choices and Steve

No offense geno your good

Also thanks Shadowknight1 Shadowknight1 for the aluminum:)
The answer's probably yes, but am I the only one who thinks that Vergeben is more real than before every time he speaks? Like I'm gonna start calling him "Dark Lord Vergeben" when everyone else here is calling him "annoying leaker".

Like if you agree that This guy is wrong and is also a j***a**.
*cries because I'm a Shantae and Bandana Dee fan living in Dark Lord Vergeben's world* It's gotten so bad that I will be happy with the game if Shantae (and Bandana Dee) are not deconfirmed. Literally what I want at this point is for them to have a chance to be DLC, because I'm convinced that we already know the full base roster thanks to Dark Lord Vergeben.

The page count increased by eight. What did I miss?
Besides the same old leaks and hate, the "New" on the fighter page on the website is gone, so we're probably getting a reveal soon. I just hope it's her (or Bandana Dee, or at least someone who'll debunk Dark Lord Vergeben and/or the Box Theory).

Last edited:

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
If the P.O. (Percent Offshoot) is 5%, what is zeta for a unit-step Time shift of 2 seconds?
-ln(5%)/sqrt((PI^2)+(ln(5%))^2)) = 69% :smirk:

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys so I thought up a little something for you, in your ol' 'tin-foil' realm. It's a theorized story, purely to indulge.
I'm writing this just for entertainment, and it's meant to be taken in amusement. (besides I know that some of you love this **** :p)
Let's call it 'timeline 1C' for now.

Crazy theory #1: Shantae was meant to be announced for smash ultimate since the last smash direct.

1st - The smash direct occurs, and Nintendo leaves 2 hints about the next smash character; one is the background(chairs, pillows, etc), and the other is the weird exeggutor dynamic (character connections with shantae nab and the interview).

2nd - The Nindies direct was a possible option to reveal her (plan A), but for some reason they decide to cancel it (maybe they weren't fully prepared) and thus the missing blog numbers that week. Thus plan B gets put in action, for her to be revealed at the nintendo direct.

mid directs - They decide hey let's put the exeggutor blog post right before the nintendo direct to see if they actually catch on the old weird hint from before.

3rd - The Nintendo direct is delayed because of the earthquake. The special price drop for Shantae in the switch still goes through even though it was meant for after her reveal.

aftermath - They see how shaken and frustrated smash fans are and decide it's not a good time to reveal her in case she'd receive too much backlash. Isabelle can take it cuz she's already too loveable. Shantae's reveal gets postponed, thus going to plan C, dun dun dun!

4th - The Nintendo direct airs later, and like they thought, people are upset from their frustrated impatience even with a reveal. There's even lashing out on Shantae even though she wasn't in. And they go oof, thank god we made the right choice.

And so it continues on to the next phase.. *insert mysterious sound effect*

So there you have it. Hope you enjoyed story time. :)
I don't know if someone already said this, but you're not far off. It would make sense with the release of Jammies Mode. When you build hype like that you want it to lead somewhere. An earlier reveal for Shantae would fit with that timeline. Fun speculation ish stuff!

So Everyone!
want something that makes stretch-armstrong look inflexible?
so as my name suggests I'm moderately obsessed with Shantae, speculation, and Smash Bros. So I've been looking for that Blue book in the background of the 8/8 direct. Hard as ****!
BUT what if I can't find it because it's a caricature of a book? What if I can't find it because they wouldn't be allowed to have/advertise a book that's not theirs? It got me thinking...
I did a little sifting and I found This... The background is blue, it appears to have a bird, a boat, and the ocean on it. The lettering on the book in the direct looks as though it could be CotL (Children of the Lamp) .
is it likely? Probably not, but I need to find a conclusion for this obsession so I can stop.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
So Everyone!
so as my name suggests I'm moderately obsessed with Shantae, speculation, and Smash Bros. So I've been looking for that Blue book in the background of the 8/8 direct. Hard as ****!
BUT what if I can't find it because it's a caricature of a book? What if I can't find it because they wouldn't be allowed to have/advertise a book that's not theirs? It got me thinking...
I did a little sifting and I found This... The background is blue, it appears to have a bird, a boat, and the ocean on it. The lettering on the book in the direct looks as though it could be CotL (Children of the Lamp) .
is it likely? Probably not, but I need to find a conclusion for this obsession so I can stop.
You're moderately obsessed... with double posting!

Oh, gottem. ;)

Last edited:

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
So Everyone!
Nice catch! I'm sure it's nothing (the blue and composition of the cover are pretty different), but nice digging nonetheless. ^^
By the way, I've read the entire series of Children of the Lamp, years ago. XD (really like the first few books, but absolutely hate the two last ones)

What would be interesting might be if there's a japanese translation of the CotL-Books and if the japanese cover is closer to the one in the picture? ;D

D

Deleted member

So Everyone!
Nice catch

Also why would you put skull kid in when he is unlikely after that troll massacre with loz18

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
The books were actually translated to japanese but the japanese cover also doesn't match the color scheme. Oh well. ^^

Top Bottom