• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member

Alright guys so I thought up a little something for you, in your ol' 'tin-foil' realm. It's a theorized story, purely to indulge.
I'm writing this just for entertainment, and it's meant to be taken in amusement. (besides I know that some of you love this **** :p)
Let's call it 'timeline 1C' for now.

Crazy theory #1: Shantae was meant to be announced for smash ultimate since the last smash direct.

1st - The smash direct occurs, and Nintendo leaves 2 hints about the next smash character; one is the background(chairs, pillows, etc), and the other is the weird exeggutor dynamic (character connections with shantae nab and the interview).

2nd - The Nindies direct was a possible option to reveal her (plan A), but for some reason they decide to cancel it (maybe they weren't fully prepared) and thus the missing blog numbers that week. Thus plan B gets put in action, for her to be revealed at the nintendo direct.

mid directs - They decide hey let's put the exeggutor blog post right before the nintendo direct to see if they actually catch on the old weird hint from before.

3rd - The Nintendo direct is delayed because of the earthquake. The special price drop for Shantae in the switch still goes through even though it was meant for after her reveal.

aftermath - They see how shaken and frustrated smash fans are and decide it's not a good time to reveal her in case she'd receive too much backlash. Isabelle can take it cuz she's already too loveable. Shantae's reveal gets postponed, thus going to plan C, dun dun dun!

4th - The Nintendo direct airs later, and like they thought, people are upset from their frustrated impatience even with a reveal. There's even lashing out on Shantae even though she wasn't in. And they go oof, thank god we made the right choice.

And so it continues on to the next phase.. *insert mysterious sound effect*

So there you have it. Hope you enjoyed story time. :)
Is there another one your doing?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Custom moves are clearly not a thing. They've mentioned that Palutena has new moves and they said something similar about the Miis.
Thanks, I'd forgotten about that actually. With that in mind then, it's all the more reason to reuse some of the customs now that clones have a bigger focus this time around.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
What does anything you said in your first paragraph have to do with smash?
That Smash is a crossover fighter and it makes sense for the characters it features to be popular outside of it? I should not have to explain people will react better to a popular character getting in Smash than a relatively unknown character getting in Smash for no other reason than promotional purposes. Believe it or not, Isabelle is actually extremely popular outside of Smash.
1536982866533.png

animal_crosing_merch.jpg
It's also funny you bring up the chainsaw sword thing when Corrin only uses the chainsaw part for one move and the vast majority of his moveset is full of generic Marth-like swipes. Even K. Rool and Simon have proven to be more popular than your average FE character and I will put money down that the reception to someone like Ridley, K. Rool or Isabelle was miles and miles better than the reception to Corrin. Even that dude Etika, who hypes everything, was really only happy to have Corrin because she was a waifu, that's about it.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I have nothing much to add here right now...

I have no idea what's happening.
Well, we could go off of the Echo talk and discuss what customs from Smash 4 might be good to carry over to Ultimate as part of an Echo Fighter's moveset. Though that's not really related to Shantae... and neither is the other argument going on I think.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Well, we could go off of the Echo talk and discuss what customs from Smash 4 might be good to carry over to Ultimate as part of an Echo Fighter's moveset. Though that's not really related to Shantae... and neither is the other argument going on I think.
We're not really bursting at the seams with Shantae news at the moment and the general Ultimate thread is a bit too fast for my taste. I'll willingly discuss anything here till we get news honestly.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
That Smash is a crossover fighter and it makes sense for the characters it features to be popular outside of it? I should not have to explain people will react better to a popular character getting in Smash than a relatively unknown character getting in Smash for no other reason than promotional purposes. Believe it or not, Isabelle is actually extremely popular outside of Smash.
It's also funny you bring up the chainsaw sword thing when Corrin only uses the chainsaw part for one move and the vast majority of his moveset is full of generic Marth-like swipes. Even K. Rool and Simon have proven to be more popular than your average FE character and I will put money down that the reception to someone like Ridley, K. Rool or Isabelle was miles and miles better than the reception to Corrin. Even that dude Etika, who hypes everything, was really only happy to have Corrin because she was a waifu, that's about it.
"I should not have to explain people will react better to a popular character getting in Smash than a relatively unknown character getting in Smash for no other reason than promotional purposes."

Isn't that what people say when bashing Shantae?

Funny you say that when Elma is most likely only going to use her Mech in a Final smash knowing Sakurai and the rest will consist of Shulk like swipes.

And ironic how you try to convince me Isabelle wasn't included for Promotional reasons using a Picture showing Isabelle related Promotional materials.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Isn't that what people say when bashing Shantae?
If Shantae got in Smash it would not be for no other reason than to promote the next Shantae game, the same cannot be said for Corrin. Nothing is wrong with a niche pick but Corrin is a niche pick on top of being a promotional pick for a niche franchise who already had plenty fighters at the time, these are wildly different circumstances.
Funny you say that when Elma is most likely only going to use her Mech in a Final smash knowing Sakurai and the rest will consist of Shulk like swipes.
We don't even know if Elma will be in the game.
And ironic how you try to convince me Isabelle wasn't included for Promotional reasons using a Picture showing Isabelle related Promotional materials.
Yes, popular characters get merchandise. Isabelle get all her merch because people loved her in ACNL and wanted to buy Isabelle amiibos and nendos or race as her in MK8. Note how ACNL had been out for years before Isabelle started getting cameos. Corrin's game wasn't even out in the US when he was announced. He got his promotion before people even had a reason to like him, and even in Japan where his game had been out for like a half year, he still wasn't popular there. This is where the issue arises, Corrin is a character only in the game to boost sales. Isabelle is a popular character in the game thanks to both fan demand and the huge success of the Animal Crossing franchise.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Is there another one your doing?
Not for now. But the door's open for more if ever there's enough to go on :)

Welp, a miracle has occurred. Bless the heavens, because our lord and saviour, WreckitRyan WreckitRyan has graced this planet with another one of his divine creations.
Well looks like there's some interesting data in there. Might be worth looking at.

~
I don't know too much about Elma, but I wouldn't mind her in smash, it feels like she could have some sort of chance :)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I agree with what you were saying but please do not refer to her like this. It's insulting. Female character does not automatically equal waifu. She's not Camilla, and if you need a refresher on what she looks like, see my avatar.
Is there a support thread for her? I'm curious.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Custom moves are clearly not a thing. They've mentioned that Palutena has new moves and they said something similar about the Miis.
I am pretty sure Miis, and Miis alone, will still have custom moves, it's the whole point of the character unlike Palutena. The E3 direct only said they would now be usable online, likely due to the removal of logistics nightmares. Problem with customs legality before was that it had to be all or nothing. You let Miis use their defining feature, then everyone else has to be able to use customs too or it's not fair. If the community still prevents them from using anything other than 1111 movesets at this point then... I don't know what to say. Just can't adapt.
I personally like all the FE characters. I was really happy we got Chrom and I'm among the people who would gladly accept even more FE. But Lord (pun intended) does that last bit frustrate me. This is pretty much the reason why so many people don't like the FE characters (well aside from the number of them), and it's a shame because they don't have to and really shouldn't all be variations of the same thing.

Roy, Lucina, and now Chrom all being based on Marth is understandable due to how they were developed, but I can also understand why people are tired of seeing more characters that play like Marth.

Ike and Robin are fine, as is Corrin aside from the timing of their inclusion being both perfect and horrible at the same time. And though I'll defend the FE characters, I'm also tired of the fact that all of them, save for Robin, have Counters for Down Specials, and almost all of them have chargeable Neutral Specials that are functionally the same. (Robin and Corrin of course have projectiles and the change to Ike's in Ultimate is great for this reason both in terms of buffing him and adding more variety to the FE characters.)
The neutral Bs of Fire Emblem all have very different uses now, even if they look similar. Marcina's for shield pressure (duh), Roy (and I suppose Chrom) is used for baiting (especially now that it can be turned around freely unlike the others) and the occasional shield break punish, Ike's is used for ledge trapping.

I don't think even using different weapons will result in drastically different playstyles, you're still in the general "swordfighter" archetype that fights mainly by spacing. I guess an axe wouldn't have a counter since you can't reasonably parry with that kind of weapon but that's about it. So.. pretty much only Micaiah or Tiki could bring something completely new to the table while also being popular/notable enough.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I agree with what you were saying but please do not refer to her like this. It's insulting. Female character does not automatically equal waifu. She's not Camilla, and if you need a refresher on what she looks like, see my avatar.
I apologize. She is a good looking character, but that's literally almost all we know about her so far.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
The neutral Bs of Fire Emblem all have very different uses now, even if they look similar. Marcina's for shield pressure (duh), Roy (and I suppose Chrom) is used for baiting (especially now that it can be turned around freely unlike the others) and the occasional shield break punish, Ike's is used for ledge trapping.

I don't think even using different weapons will result in drastically different playstyles, you're still in the general "swordfighter" archetype that fights mainly by spacing. I guess an axe wouldn't have a counter since you can't reasonably parry with that kind of weapon but that's about it. So.. pretty much only Micaiah or Tiki could bring something completely new to the table while also being popular/notable enough.
Oh I'm well aware (and glad) that the Neutral Specials have been tweaked in Ultimate, hence why I mentioned Ike given how big a change it is for him in particular. My point was more that before, Shield Breaker, Flare Blade and Eruption were somewhat similar moves in concept; stand still and charge a really strong attack. Of course the utility was always different, but it was more of a thematic similarity like how all the Star Fox characters have a Blaster, a variant of Fire Fox, Reflector and some form of advancing attack like Fox Illusion.

In both cases it fits all the characters, but now that we have Marth and 3 additional fighters based on his moveset, with two of them being Echo's which makes them even more similar to Marth/Roy, it's starting to get to the point where I have to concede to FE detractors that they start to feel a bit samey. Even Chrom who doesn't share an Up B with Roy is still borrowing it off of Ike, and among the unique FE characters, even Corrin has yet another counter which isn't even just an FE issue (we have 17 characters with counters), but with 6 out of 7 FE having them it's makes them easy pickings for further complaints.

And you're absolutely right, a different weapon may not result in drastically different playstyles, but the thing is that you could do so even with the same weapon as they did when they added Ike in Brawl who while thematically similar moveset wise was in no way similar to Marth outside of a Counter, a chargeable strong Neutral B, and the fact he's a blue haired, sword lord. People do want other classes and weapons, but it's mostly the idea of getting a character who isn't as similar to what we've continually gotten in regards to FE characters in past.

And again, that's not to say I have a problem with any of the FE characters as they are right now (I mean I wish less of them had counters at least), but I can understand why people get upset about them. A lot of people aren't familiar with FE and hold no attachment to the characters. Then add in the fact that a lot of them seem so similar (even if it's only on a surface level like with Marth and Ike) and you start finding it a bit harder not to concede a little bit because there are some fair criticisms there. Obviously I'm against the blind hatred for FE, but I get where they're coming from. Well the reasonable one's at least.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I apologize. She is a good looking character, but that's literally almost all we know about her so far.
Fire Emblem wiki says she’s part of a new class called Aristocrat which is a combination on axes, swords, and magic. I know it’s not much, but judging on axes in previous games, I just think she has the potential to be a power-based
female character, something I don’t think we have in Smash yet. (And that she also has Shantae’s voice actress)

I don't see two people disagreeing as having a flame war, we're just wasting time till some shantae news pops up
I just got caught up after work, so it looked like a bigger mess to me

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
You try saying Chrom sucks to one of his fans and pass it off as "not flaming".
I didn't realize something like that counts as flaming I guess? I consider flaming attacking Chrom FANS, I don't see anything wrong with not liking a character, especially when I was asked.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I didn't realize something like that counts as flaming I guess? I consider flaming attacking Chrom FANS, I don't see anything wrong with not liking a character.
Well it certainly doesn't demonstrate tolerance to those that do like him. You come off as equally disliking anyone who supports him just because you personally do not.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
For now, until we see more of Three Houses and more of her, I think I’ll replace that suggestion in my character wishlist with either Mona or 9-Volt from Warioware (inbox someone harps on me for not picking Ashley despite her already being an assist)

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
For now, until we see more of Three Houses and more of her, I think I’ll replace that suggestion in my character wishlist with either Mona or 9-Volt from Warioware (inbox someone harps on me for not picking Ashley despite her already being an assist)
I'm gonna harp on you for not picking Captain Syrup. We gotta rep some Wario Land too.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Fire Emblem wiki says she’s part of a new class called Aristocrat which is a combination on axes, swords, and magic. I know it’s not much, but judging on axes in previous games, I just think she has the potential to be a power-based
female character, something I don’t think we have in Smash yet. (And that she also has Shantae’s voice actress)

I just got caught up after work, so it looked like a bigger mess to me
Really, shantae's voice actress?? That's kinda neat.

She'll be neat for dlc. No need for more FE in base roster, but I think dlc is fine. (And yeh if she can be powerful that'll be cool, agreed)
Also, I was going to say something about the Aristocrats joke, but this site is supposed to be family friendly so nevermind XD

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I'm gonna harp on you for not picking Captain Syrup. We gotta rep some Wario Land too.
You know what, why the heck not? And while we’re at it, why not have Risky be an echo of her instead?

She'll be neat for dlc. No need for more FE in base roster, but I think dlc is fine.
Also, I was going to say something about the Aristocrats joke, but this site is supposed to be family friendly so nevermind XD
I did mention in a previous post that I think she could be DLC around or sometime after the game’s release, which is said to be Q2 2019

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
No it’s the thing I posted last night to everyone
Oh, ah yes, that was some good hentai you sent me there, very detailed...

She'll be neat for dlc. No need for more FE in base roster, but I think dlc is fine. (And yeh if she can be powerful that'll be cool, agreed)
Family friendly, huh?

Look above you. :p

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
If we're talking Echoes, how would a Nega-Shantae Echo fighter work? I always thought she'd just be an OP version of Shantae, but you fight normal Shantae at the end of Risky's storyline in HGH and she's actually way more powerful than any incarnation of Nega Shantae, so I guess Shantae is just OP in general.

Risky is sadly even more OP if you max her out though so the bossfight was just me throwing 99 bombs in Shantae's face and dealing like 24DPS and it STILL took like 4 minutes.

Well it certainly doesn't demonstrate tolerance to those that do like him. You come off as equally disliking anyone who supports him just because you personally do not.
I feel like that's a stretch. It literally went "I guess you don't like Chrom huh?" "Yep, he sucks", I didn't go after any Chrom supporters at all, you don't see me dropping down in the Chrom support thread and saying everyone there is stupid for liking a character I don't. On that note I'm not going to lie and say I do like Chrom, there's really no point in that either. Sorry if I came off as non tolerant but again, I was asked outright for my opinion and told the truth.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Also just throwing my two cents into the "flame war". Everyone is free to express themselves as they please, but just going "x sucks" or "x is garbage" (as many here are wont to do about Minecraft for example) isn't really going to get you anywhere either. If you don't like something that's fine, but you could also just say "I don't really like it", "Personally not a fan" or "It's not my cup of tea" or something else along those lines. Just comes off a little better imo.
Maybe try different wording before going straight into your dislike of something, and maybe even go into why you don't like said thing if you really want to.

Or don't because free expression as I said above. Just a suggestion to maybe prevent misunderstandings.

Last edited:

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
I agree with what you were saying but please do not refer to her like this. It's insulting. Female character does not automatically equal waifu.
Agreed.
Also, let's not forget male waifus. Like Snake.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Male waifus? You mean husbandos? Also I probably missed it from earlier but why are waifus a bad thing? I know there are some people that go overboard, but I've always seen it as a pretty harmless engrish meme...thing?

Top Bottom