• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but Vergeben's word is gospel. And it makes sense, too, since there was a boatload of trolls who voted for Steve thinking "hurt durr Shrek and Goku and Steve". Sakurai could have easily mistook those ironic votes for serious ones. And Nintendo and Microsoft's surprisingly "good" relationship, especially involving MC only makes it seem like they're building up to it happening. And Steve, being from Minecraft, would fill the role of "indie rep", meaning that no one else would reasonably be added to fill that role.

Steve's stealing Shantae's slot (along with Banjo's).

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I'm sorry, but Vergeben's word is gospel.
Do not open that ****ing nut up again, Hollywood. We have had enough of this ****ty argument about Verge being "the god" of leaks around here. Look, it's not bad to talk about leaks, it can actually be kind of fun to dissect bad leaks, but all this talk about "Oh, we gotta trust Verge because he got some fighters right" is nothing more than bull****. Purge that out of your mind. And purge that "Stealing the Slot" argument as well, that's nothing more than a paperweight argument at this point.
Also, no, there was no push for Minecraft Steve at least I think there wasn't. There might have been, but not as big as Shantae's push.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
It is foolish to take Vergaben's word as gospel. The guy can never commit to anything and I think he's speculating more than predicting or leaking.

Remember - leaks are dumb.

Last edited:

TJKBird

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't take Vergeben's leaks as gospel but they are worth keeping in mind at least. You can argue whether or not his statements were "easy" guesses, the fact he has consistently been right in his guesses lends him at least the time of day to be considered.

Basically I see it the same way we view all of our circumstantial evidence for Shantae's inclusion. While none of it definitively proves Shantae, it certainly gives a reason to entertain the notion.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Yeah, it would absolutely repulse me as well.

I wrote up a giant spiel about why it would piss me off but decided to refrain because I'm sure someone is going to get butthurt over it and drag me into a debate I'm not interested in having. But basically it would tick me off because it means that "clout" is more important than the voices of the fans.

Keep in mind, I wouldn't even mind his addition if Shantae was also added. But if he gets in over Shantae, that's a totally different thing. It would personally make the ballot a joke to me.
Can I see it? I hate Steve aesthetic too. Ive seen people suggest.. the Telltale designs.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
WreckitRyan WreckitRyan and AlphaStouland had a chat about the recent Direct and Smash(including Shantae of course).

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Can I see it? I hate Steve aesthetic too. Ive seen people suggest.. the Telltale designs.
I've already deleted it.

But anyways, going back I see that Minecraft wasn't released on Wii U until after the Smash ballot was already over. Given that, and given that I couldn't find any presence for Steve during the Ballot era, I highly doubt that he cracked the Top 100 in the ballot (he would need more than 18k votes to do so). I don't think troll posts would have been enough either since Goku, Spongebob (both characters already mentioned by Sakurai), Shrek and Magnemite were all more popular troll picks.

Which means if he gets in, he'll get in because of reasons outside of the ballot. That's what pisses me off about it.

Edit: On the flipside, he could crack the Top 100 with less than 18k votes if any character above him (and let's face it, multiple characters probably did this) garnered more than 1% of the vote but then he would have a fraction of a percent which is less impressive than 1%. And it looks a lot less impressive when you have characters gobbling up 3-4% (or more). So my point would still stand. 18k is the absolute minimum for cracking 1% of the ballot.

Admittedly different than cracking the Top 100.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Oh god no...
As much as I don't want to entertain the possibility of Steve from Minecraft being a legit fighter in Smash Bros, what if the caveat of having him in Smash Bros means that it includes the friggin' songs that this kid sings, clicks and bad loops and all, with no conductor allowed to alter it. XD

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
In case you all missed my Edit.

Like they said it is too weird for Shantae to not be in Smash in one form or another.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
As much as I don't want to entertain the possibility of Steve from Minecraft being a legit fighter in Smash Bros, what if the caveat of having him in Smash Bros means that it includes the friggin' songs that this kid sings, clicks and bad loops and all, with no conductor allowed to alter it. XD
My reaction:

D

Deleted member

those 2 spots are still suspicious. like at first they were planning to reveal her there, but changed their mind early enough that the didn't also need to change numbers or remove posts planned for her stage and music, but late enough that her reveal and spotlight were gone. If she was planned there, they may have moved her to the october direct, as the september really couldn't fit her in it.
I still feel like into the breach was supposed to be on Nintendo’s twitter after the nindies direct he didn’t even explain about it I find this out of place.........do you?

Tybalt: Herbal One

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry, but Vergeben's word is gospel.
You probably shouldn't deal in absolutes. Yes he may have "leaked" characters, but remember, he may "leaked" Simon, but certainly not Richter. Not to mention he says a source predicts no new DK characters, and supposedly he didn't believe it. However that statement shows it is no longer a leak. It is simply speculation and cannot be used as evidence for his correct "leaks".

Isabelle has been pushed as a mascot character for the AC series. Her appearance in Mario Kart 8 as part of DLC 2 helps to solidify this. So it honestly isn't surprising that she ended up in Smash. As for Ridley, he is an immensly popular character from what fan polls and such have shown (personally not a fan, but hey lots of people were happy). And this is a game for the fans.

Currently is almost 1AM for me and I don't really wanna follow up on old "leaks" but according to GameFaqs user DraculaDuchvony "Uh... Except he specifically said "I knew about Chrom and Richter, I just forgot to put them on the list."" Once again this is second-hand knowledge however Chrom is one of the three main characters in Fire emblem awakening... you know... the game recognised as the entry that saved the series. Its also easy to claim "whoops" on the internet. Especially in when all you give is text leaks. And this last bit is more my own personal feeling but consider this: if he was really leaking stuff, and wanting to keep credability to his name then why wouldn't he make sure that his list is correct?

With all this said, you are free to believe what you want to but it's important to look at... well everything with a critical eye. Personally, I believe that these characters weren't exactly difficult to guess (Richter definitely threw me off too, seems cool though) and thus I am inclined to disbelieve that he has any sources at all (his vagueness reeeeally doesn't help him).

I know this has been a long one but if you want to take anything away from this post, then let it be this: rather than accept what you are told, question everything. You might just find that something doesn't line up.

And for those who don't want to read this text barrage (not that I blame you):
TL;DR: It is not impossible to make educated predictions and that Holly really shouldn't believe everything that comes from Vergeben.

I need sleep -_- Good night!

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Also, no, there was no push for Minecraft Steve at least I think there wasn't. There might have been, but not as big as Shantae's push.
No, there was, I say even more than Shantae, unfortunately. But most of it was trolling. Keep in mind, some people might take that trolling seriously..

I've already deleted it.

But anyways, going back I see that Minecraft wasn't released on Wii U until after the Smash ballot was already over. Given that, and given that I couldn't find any presence for Steve during the Ballot era, I highly doubt that he cracked the Top 100 in the ballot (he would need more than 18k votes to do so). I don't think troll posts would have been enough either since Goku, Spongebob (both characters already mentioned by Sakurai), Shrek and Magnemite were all more popular troll picks.

Which means if he gets in, he'll get in because of reasons outside of the ballot. That's what pisses me off about it.

Edit: On the flipside, he could crack the Top 100 with less than 18k votes if any character above him (and let's face it, multiple characters probably did this) garnered more than 1% of the vote but then he would have a fraction of a percent which is less impressive than 1%. And it looks a lot less impressive when you have characters gobbling up 3-4% (or more). So my point would still stand. 18k is the absolute minimum for cracking 1% of the ballot.

Admittedly different than cracking the Top 100.
Not really outside, but he just won. I hate Steve being in the game too, but we HAVE to respect the ballot. Otherwise, don't disrespect others if you don't like it. Hope I'm not TO harsh..

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Does anyone know about that game they revealed at the end of the Nindie Direct? Like was that worthy of the "One more thing" reveal? Cause I'd never heard of it.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Not really outside, but he just won. I hate Steve being in the game too, but we HAVE to respect the ballot. Otherwise, don't disrespect others if you don't like it. Hope I'm not TO harsh..

Respect the ballot?

Steve had NO PRESENCE in the ballot. It's Sakurai that's not "respecting the ballot" if Steve is added. That's not to say he can't be in. But it's virtually guaranteed to be for reasons outside of the ballot.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Actually, I have just thought up a killer hypothesis that might just sink Steve's chances further down this time!
You know those two missing blog spots that appeared on the date of the Nindies Direct and the day after? And the whole "We have a special announcement!" type announcement at the end of the Nindies Direct? Why would they say that if it was just going to be a Minecraft stage for Smash Bros Ultimate? Furthermore, at the time of the Ballots, Mojang was bought out by Microsoft, making them a 1st party company under Microsoft. So by this definition alone, it can be definitively stated that Minecraft is no longer an Indie game, but rather a 1st party game by the time of the Directs, let alone a qualified Nindie! So not only would Steve face off against Banjo and Kazooie, but also against the likes of Master Chief and the Arbiter, among god knows how many more Xbox 1st party characters and not against the likes of indies like Shantae and Quote!

Oh dear god, I hope I didn't force open yet another conspiracy theory involving the Smash Ballot being "segregated" by First, Third, Indies, etc. in here! If that happens, I'll just become a giant roll of tin foil!

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sorry for opening a bag of worms bring up Verg and steve. I told myself i wouldn't do that but RL **** pissed me off and seeing that just exponded it, and had to get it off my chest.

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
Does anyone know about that game they revealed at the end of the Nindie Direct? Like was that worthy of the "One more thing" reveal? Cause I'd never heard of it.
Into the Breach, if memory serves me correctly. Turn based strategy Mecha game.

Made by the Faster Than Lights devs.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Actually, I have just thought up a killer hypothesis that might just sink Steve's chances further down this time!
You know those two missing blog spots that appeared on the date of the Nindies Direct and the day after? And the whole "We have a special announcement!" type announcement at the end of the Nindies Direct? Why would they say that if it was just going to be a Minecraft stage for Smash Bros Ultimate? Furthermore, at the time of the Ballots, Mojang was bought out by Microsoft, making them a 1st party company under Microsoft. So by this definition alone, it can be definitively stated that Minecraft is no longer an Indie game, but rather a 1st party game by the time of the Directs, let alone a qualified Nindie! So not only would Steve face off against Banjo and Kazooie, but also against the likes of Master Chief and the Arbiter, among god knows how many more Xbox 1st party characters and not against the likes of indies like Shantae and Quote!
Miles_Edgeworth_4_PLvsAA.png

That is fairly obvious to everyone.

zferolie

Smash Hero
here guys, to help brighten the mood and forget about steve, some nice new shantae art.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Respect the ballot?

Steve had NO PRESENCE in the ballot. It's Sakurai that's not "respecting the ballot" if Steve is added. That's not to say he can't be in. But it's virtually guaranteed to be for reasons outside of the ballot.
I'm not one to argue, but thats just ignorant. Its YOU who believes its a guaranteed outside of ballot. If people have been asking him (which they have, before and now, and some are entirely okay with it), then They have been asking for him. You, nor I, have no right to be disrespectful to the people who want him in. Do not become the same bullies who bully us for our belief in Shantae.

Respect the ballot. Or you can do two things:

Don't play the character, Or Don't buy the game. Take it or leave it.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I'm not one to argue, but thats just ignorant. Its YOU who believes its a guaranteed outside of ballot. If people have been asking him (which they have, before and now, and some are entirely okay with it), then They have been asking for him. You, nor I, have no right to be disrespectful to the people who want him in. Do not become the same bullies who bully us for our belief in Shantae.
My dude, no one was asking for Steve though, go check the Steve support thread and compare it to this one if you want. People associate Minecraft with it's world and the gameplay, but people are not rallying behind Steve in Smash, especially not in the numbers of Ridely or K. Rool.
Of course he got meme votes, but thinking any meme is enough to force a character into Smash is foolish, else we'd be looking at playable Goku and Waluigi right now.
IF Steve gets in it will absolutely be unrelated to the ballot, Steve was never in the ballpark compared to other ballot contenders. No one is attacking Steve supporters, we're just saying that the GENUINE fan demand for him is minimal compared to the behemoths that have been mainstays in the Smash fandom for like a decade now.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord

Oh dear god, I hope I didn't force open yet another conspiracy theory involving the Smash Ballot being "segregated" by First, Third, Indies, etc. in here! If that happens, I'll just become a giant roll of tin foil!
So basically, best case scenario, it’s debunking the blog post theory?

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
My dude, no one was asking for Steve though, go check the Steve support thread and compare it to this one if you want. People associate Minecraft with it's world and the gameplay, but people are not rallying behind Steve in Smash, especially not in the numbers of Ridely or K. Rool.
Of course he got meme votes, but thinking any meme is enough to force a character into Smash is foolish, else we'd be looking at playable Goku and Waluigi right now.
IF Steve gets in it will absolutely be unrelated to the ballot, Steve was never in the ballpark compared to other ballot contenders. No one is attacking Steve supporters, we're just saying that the GENUINE fan demand for him is minimal compared to the behemoths that have been mainstays in the Smash fandom for like a decade now.
If you forgot, I said that of course most of it was trolling, but...

No, there was, I say even more than Shantae, unfortunately. But most of it was trolling. Keep in mind, some people might take that trolling seriously..
Of course there's meme votes, but how does one know that it came from the ballot? Or even an outside force? Or, idk, People who don't come to smashboard who voted for Steve? Its ludicrous to JUST believe that is the only option. We don't know till it comes out of Sakurai's mouth. If he does say this, I'll eat my own words, probably blended though...

I don't want Steve in either, but I HAVE to respect the ballot. You know Sakurai is WAY smarter than to let Steve into Smash. You know this! You think Steve got in being buddy buddy and Sakurai just suddenly said "**** the fans"?

Ya know Sakurai has rules as to why Goku and Waluigi didn't get in. We know for sure Ashley was begged, and she was an AT. For whatever reason of the Team's thinking, it happened.

I cannot change your mind. You have the absolute right to believe what you want to believe, but like I said earlier, if he gets in, it can be a numerous of reasons, but it most likely was the ballot. I hate it too, and you have no idea how I want Daddy Sakurai to smite these false leaks, but again, if he makes it in, respect the choice.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?

Respect the ballot. Or you can do two things:

Don't play the character, Or Don't buy the game. Take it or leave it.
Where was his presence on Smashboards during the Ballot era? Oh right, he had none because he NEVER APPEARED ON A NINTENDO SYSTEM at the time. Where was the clamor for him on GameFAQs? On /v/? On Reddit? On Tumblr? On Facebook? On anywhere? You'll always have stragglers voicing their support for a character, but where was the clamor?

Meanwhile, you couldn't turn a corner without seeing Shantae all over the internet in Smash speculation. Read the comments.

I'm not being disrespectful towards the fans. Good for them if they get him. I'm airing a concern that I have as a potential customer of this game. You sound like an idiot suggesting that a product meant for public consumption, is immutable from criticism. Doubly so if you suggest this game is "art". It absolutely follows that it would be criticized in the latter case. In the former, this directly has to do with customer feedback. Why would I NOT be upset?

I could just as well suggest that "Galaga" was a Top 20 choice in the ballot cause why not? You couldn't prove it one way or the other. The question is, does it make sense? And when held up to scrutiny, no it doesn't.

How dare you suggest that I have only two choices in regards to how I handle this game with no corroborating evidence to back your own argument.

Forget it. You can keep this thread. I'm done with this.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
If you forgot, I said that of course most of it was trolling, but...

Of course there's meme votes, but how does one know that it came from the ballot? Or even an outside force? Or, idk, People who don't come to smashboard who voted for Steve? Its ludicrous to JUST believe that is the only option. We don't know till it comes out of Sakurai's mouth. If he does say this, I'll eat my own words, probably blended though...

I don't want Steve in either, but I HAVE to respect the ballot. You know Sakurai is WAY smarter than to let Steve into Smash. You know this! You think Steve got in being buddy buddy and Sakurai just suddenly said "**** the fans"?

Ya know Sakurai has rules as to why Goku and Waluigi didn't get in. We know for sure Ashley was begged, and she was an AT. For whatever reason of the Team's thinking, it happened.

I cannot change your mind. You have the absolute right to believe what you want to believe, but like I said earlier, if he gets in, it can be a numerous of reasons, but it most likely was the ballot. I hate it too, and you have no idea how I want Daddy Sakurai to smite these false leaks, but again, if he makes it in, respect the choice.
The ssimple fact is you have no proof that Steve had a sizable presence in the ballot, and even looking at fan polls from then and now shows him having no real numbers.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I can say that we are currently in a spot where the shantae community is near the point of turmoil if she's getting in or not.

Of course, other communities does understand the position we are standing on the train to Smash Ultimate.

No matter what, don't get yourself too tangled in the Forest of the Unknown or else risk yourself getting consumed by the overwhelming worry and eventually losing your hold.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I can say that we are currently in a spot where the shantae community is near the point of turmoil if she's getting in or not.

Of course, other communities does understand the position we are standing on the train to Smash Ultimate.

No matter what, don't get yourself too tangled in the Forest of the Unknown or else risk yourself getting consumed by the overwhelming worry and eventually losing your hold.
Oh, yeah. The Lip thread is having a meltdown right now...

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Where was his presence on Smashboards during the Ballot era? Oh right, he had none because he NEVER APPEARED ON A NINTENDO SYSTEM at the time. Where was the clamor for him on GameFAQs? On /v/? On Reddit? On Tumblr? On Facebook? On anywhere? You'll always have stragglers voicing their support for a character, but where was the clamor?

Meanwhile, you couldn't turn a corner without seeing Shantae all over the internet in Smash speculation. Read the comments.

I'm not being disrespectful towards the fans. Good for them if they get him. I'm airing a concern that I have as a potential customer of this game. You sound like an idiot suggesting that a product meant for public consumption, is immutable from criticism. Doubly so if you suggest this game is "art". It absolutely follows that it would be criticized in the latter case. In the former, this directly has to do with customer feedback. Why would I NOT be upset?

I could just as well suggest that "Galaga" was a Top 20 choice in the ballot cause why not? You couldn't prove it one way or the other. The question is, does it make sense? And when held up to scrutiny, no it doesn't.

How dare you suggest that I have only two choices in regards to how I handle this game with no corroborating evidence to back your own argument.

How do you miss my point??

The ssimple fact is you have no proof that Steve had a sizable presence in the ballot, and even looking at fan polls from then and now shows him having no real numbers.
I don't have evidence. And as I keep saying it earlier, I hope it isn't real. I genuinely do hope that he isn't in.

The point was that we should respect it, because who knows if he was genuinely requested. There could be MANY reasons on how this could happen. Heck, You could be right and I'll eat my words. We shouldn't be bullies about this.

My ENTIRE point, was that if he was requested, we should believe its the ballot, unless Sakurai says otherwise. It'll be like the Isabelle fallout when people were upset she was a newcomer. You have that right to be. I never disagreed. But if you're still buying the game, just don't play Steve. Or do! Idk. You can be angry, I would be too, but we have to respect that he's in, if he's in.

Nothing wrong with spicy opinions lol, we're just REALLY stressed over this character. Nothing wrong with that.
Seriously...I really hope he doesn't make it in. But yeah, I am stressed over life rather than Smash.

Oh, yeah. The Lip thread is having a meltdown right now...
Really? How bad is it?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Nothing wrong with spicy opinions lol, we're just REALLY stressed over this character. Nothing wrong with that.
Though we shouldn't be so stressed out over leaks and possible theories. At least not to the extent we are scared here.
It doesn't help when we have people actively worshipping leakers as if they speak nothing but the truth.
And then there's the entire argument whether Steve had a presence in Smash Bros Ballot or not. And then there's the whole "Respect the Ballot" thing.
We're just ****ing falling apart at the first sign of a perceived threat. And it doesn't help when we have prolific "bloodline" members like Jazzy just ragequit because of an argument with another guy over said Steve presence. All because I had to ask "Oh, did Steve have a Ballot presence like Shantae did?"

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
How do you miss my point??

I don't have evidence. And as I keep saying it earlier, I hope it isn't real. I genuinely do hope that he isn't in.

The point was that we should respect it, because who knows if he was genuinely requested. There could be MANY reasons on how this could happen. Heck, You could be right and I'll eat my words. We shouldn't be bullies about this.

My ENTIRE point, was that if he was requested, we should believe its the ballot, unless Sakurai says otherwise. It'll be like the Isabelle fallout when people were upset she was a newcomer. You have that right to be. I never disagreed. But if you're still buying the game, just don't play Steve. Or do! Idk. You can be angry, I would be too, but we have to respect that he's in, if he's in.

Seriously...I really hope he doesn't make it in. But yeah, I am stressed over life rather than Smash.

Really? How bad is it?
Yeah I respect the ballot, but if Steve does get in, I highly doubt its due to the ballot unless Sakurai or something says otherwise.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

I think each and every one of us is a giant roll of Reynolds Wrap deep down.

Top Bottom