• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
Wait what the hell happened to DyllyBirdy!? I just dipped out of the thread for one day and now he's potentially (knock on wood) dead!? What the **** happened?
A reading of teeb147's post history will tell you all that you need to know as of now.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Wait what the hell happened to DyllyBirdy!? I just dipped out of the thread for one day and now he's potentially (knock on wood) dead!? What the **** happened?
Really It happened pretty fast since last week, and it spiralled downwards since the weekend. I guess it was hard to tell what was going on until recently for some people. We can't do too much for now. Except be open, I suppose.

..I'm tired. If you don't see me much posting news and all that, it's because I need more time. might be slow, so if I'm not awake early, someone like yellowlord could post in dylly's pm if his friend is back. He's gone for the night..

see u later all. keep the good stuff flowing.

Last edited:

Swade

Smash Apprentice
Really It happened pretty fast since last week, and it spiralled downwards since the weekend. I guess it was hard to tell what was going on until recently for some people.

..I'm tired. If you don't see me much posting news and all that, it's because I need more time. might be slow, so if I'm not awake early, someone like yellowlord could post in dylly's pm if his friend is back. He's gone for the night..

Stay safe, buddy.

D

Deleted member

Really It happened pretty fast since last week, and it spiralled downwards since the weekend. I guess it was hard to tell what was going on until recently for some people. We can't do too much for now. Except be open, I suppose.

Be cool my friend

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Nothing but good here. Heck, look at my new avatar and all of it's diabetes-inducing sweetness! lol

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Hey guys, been on twitter just in case Matt Bozon responds and someone tweeted this very old concept animation of Shantae. It's crazy to see how much she changed before the first game came to be...

I should clarify, it is an animation from a fan of one of Shantaes' original concept designs, this isn't from some super early version of a game.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Honestly, I can't even imagine Shantae without purple hair. So weird.
It doesn't even look like it's from the same franchise. She looks more like a member of a humanoid species you'd find in a sci-fi movie. The only things the 2 designs have in common are the red outfit and hairstyle.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hey guys, been on twitter just in case Matt Bozon responds and someone tweeted this very old concept animation of Shantae. It's crazy to see how much she changed before the first game came to be...

I should clarify, it is an animation from a fan of one of Shantaes' original concept designs, this isn't from some super early version of a game.
that is so weird looking haha. COuld be an alt color of her in smash lol.

Wow, you put tons of thought into all that and I'd say your reasoning is very sound. I would like to add that a Medusa echo fighter of Palutena is also very likely because Plautena used to have 12 different special moves in Wii U. Now that custom moves aren't a thing, I could see sakurai wanting to put those unique moves to use on two other fighters, Medusa and Viridi. I could see one being base and theother being DLC, or both being DLC.

But honestly, if we can get Shantae and Dixie in this game from the get go... Then there is very little more i could reasonably ask for.
Yeah thought way too hard about this lol. I wonder if I should make a thread for it or also post it in newcomers... kinda want to start a discussion on it.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
that is so weird looking haha. COuld be an alt color of her in smash lol.

Yeah thought way too hard about this lol. I wonder if I should make a thread for it or also post it in newcomers... kinda want to start a discussion on it.
Do you think the mods would allow a thread for general Newcomer speculation?

Edit: Also obligatory reminder to keep Dyily in our prayers.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Do you think the mods would allow a thread for general Newcomer speculation?

Edit: Also obligatory reminder to keep Dyily in our prayers.
Not sure. I was thinking if anything at least put it in the newcomer discussion sticky already up

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Personally, I don't know how I'd feel if Shantae, Isaac, and Dixie all made it in. I would also not be disappointed if Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X made it in, though if I had to choose a character from the Xeno-series, it would be KOS-MOS from Xenosaga...but I'm a little biased lol.

EDIT: By which I mean I'd be way too happy and would love this game forever and ever no matter what Smashes come later.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally, I don't know how I'd feel if Shantae, Isaac, and Dixie all made it in. I would also not be disappointed if Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X made it in, though if I had to choose a character from the Xeno-series, it would be KOS-MOS from Xenosaga...but I'm a little biased lol.

EDIT: By which I mean I'd be way too happy and would love this game forever and ever no matter what Smashes come later.
You will feel happy your most supportive got in and Elma would make a great dlc

Splendid_Days

Smash Rookie
God this gonna sound dumb but whats the song in his intros?

I feel I SHOULD know it.
Not dumb at all! That would be the City Trial remix for Smash Ultimate.

EDIT: Oh whoops, someone already answered a bit ago hehe

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
A reading of teeb147's post history will tell you all that you need to know as of now.
Really It happened pretty fast since last week, and it spiralled downwards since the weekend. I guess it was hard to tell what was going on until recently for some people.

OK. Thank you for the info.

Dylly if you're reading this please know that I'm praying for you no matter what, and that I appreciate your presence on this thread. Even if things seem bleak, fight with everything you got. Nothing is final until the end so keep going and know that everyone here is supporting you.

NukeA6

Smash Master

Kinda blows my mind that Shantae's been around since 1994. That design even looks like it could have been released with games like Plok, Chuck Rock, and all those other quirky platformers.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Kinda blows my mind that Shantae's been around since 1994. That design even looks like it could have been released with games like Plok, Chuck Rock, and all those other quirky platformers.
Imagine how different the series would be if that had been the case; Her being released around that time with those platforming mascots in that design

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy was able to write tonight! I'm sorry he used it on me, I should've asked sooner if he'd post in here.
He said that you're all great people, he likes you, and hopes the best for you too :)

He also wanted me to show you a picture of his cat Darcy

Good night. Let's see how things are tomorow.

Edit: sorry for mixing my pronouns at first.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy was able to write tonight! I'm sorry she used it on me, I should've asked sooner if she'd post in here.
He said that you're all great people, he likes you, and hopes the best for you too :)

He also wanted me to show you a picture of his cat Darcy

Good night. Let's see how things are tomorow.

Edit: sorry for mixing my pronouns at first.
Anyway, thanks for the update.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
She? do you mean the person who is currently using Dyllybirds profile?

Edit: Just saw your edit as i was posting me response, wish you could delete posts lol.

Anyway, thanks for the update.
Yeah sorry I'm tired. Im also gender challenged sometimes. I'm usually more careful.
I'm gonna pretend it doesnt matter for now...
Also, sorry I couldn't quote directly, it wouldn't have worked because of the wording.

goodnight ;)

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
See that's the thing, newcomers, especially those from third parties recently are quite insistent on bringing at least one completely unique thing to the table. Having Shantae bring what is essentially a watered down version of Pokemon Trainer is not what I want to see.

Monkey... what damage? It has lousy reach and I didn't see any combos from it. Ground mobility is all it's good for, and as I said earlier, if you're only using a form for very specific niches or roles, you'd be better off just implementing them naturally instead of forcing an additional step just to use it.

Pokemon Trainer is balanced so that all of it's forms can be viable in any scenario, even if some are better at certain than others. I don't see why I should pick this Shantae over him/her. I couldn't care less if all her moves are represented if they result in something sub-par put together.
know that I thought that as I wrote in PT and thought "oof". Would there even be a way to implement her transformations without her basically being a semi copy of PT?
I don't know what damage from the monkey that's my assumption because I never played the game. The 3 forms look exactly like the 3 forms of PT (except the harpy took air mobility instead of the heaviness of Character). I don't even know if the other forms have recovery moves or smash attacks.
honestly, it's a fun video to watch, it opened convo about Shantae, and is helping to flesh out a character that may not exist.
I agree with you that it'd suck if she is basically PT, but what ways do you think she'd be better implemented? I think they did a good job taking moves and inspiration from all of her games. I get what you're saying.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I think the best way to handle her transformations would be making them directional specials and having each special have its own follow up.
Shantae's transformations kinda only serve one or two purposes and it feels like a whole transformation would be limited and while it seems cool in theory, to me it feels like it would be a little clunky and not feel great in practice.
There's a difference between Pokemon, who have whole move pools to pick from, and something like Monkey Form, which has a high jump, the ability to climb walls, and the monkey bullet. Shulk's monado does have different modes, but they only enhance his base stats, they don't give him moves. I just don't think Shantae's transformations would work well when used like the Monado or Pokemon Trainer.

But who knows, Sakurai is a wizard, he could make something fun and interesting with them for sure.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It's already been mentioned, but be sure to stop by the RTC today to support Shantae. This is one of the big Smashboards events were we can really get our thoughts out there.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
know that I thought that as I wrote in PT and thought "oof". Would there even be a way to implement her transformations without her basically being a semi copy of PT?
I don't know what damage from the monkey that's my assumption because I never played the game. The 3 forms look exactly like the 3 forms of PT (except the harpy took air mobility instead of the heaviness of Character). I don't even know if the other forms have recovery moves or smash attacks.
honestly, it's a fun video to watch, it opened convo about Shantae, and is helping to flesh out a character that may not exist.
I agree with you that it'd suck if she is basically PT, but what ways do you think she'd be better implemented? I think they did a good job taking moves and inspiration from all of her games. I get what you're saying.
LunarLiv LunarLiv already mentioned using transformation moves as specials. You could implement them in other things too, like automatically turning into a monkey when dashing. To take it one step further, a special that performs dances would serve to temporarily enhance moves and actions involving a particular transformation. So doing the monkey dance would increase dashing speed and enhance it's dash attack, for example.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
It's already been mentioned, but be sure to stop by the RTC today to support Shantae. This is one of the big Smashboards events were we can really get our thoughts out there.
How long do we have to do this? I'm at work, and I hate using my phone to type long list of ratings. Plus my lunch break isn't very long.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
Imagine how different the series would be if that had been the case; Her being released around that time with those platforming mascots in that design
She might have been a one-hit wonder and then forgotten. Many times, it's best if things didn't happen as planned. For one, nobody would be thinking of her being in Smash Bros since WayForward's mascot might have been Bolo or something even crazier.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
The Shantae haters still come up with the BS that "if Shovel Knight couldn't get in, then Shantae has no chance", which is something I always laugh it.

These people always ignore her longer history with Nintendo and I think it's fair to say that the two characters have about the same level of popularity. SK was Shantae's biggest competition for an indie spot, and if he's out of the running, it only increases her chances.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Ok everyone,

Dylly is able to read today (and write some), and he's better than yesterday, but can't move his legs. But he actually does check this site a lot, when he can or when his friend is there. He's having a hard time, but there's still hope & more.

I'll be busy and really I can't be here as much,

Whoever wants to send Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy some messages (pm conversation), please do so, it could really help for him to see how you feel about him and whatever you want to say and wish. He may not respond, depending on his energy and how he feels, but just getting your message can mean something.
(Don't be afraid to message more than once in a day if you feel like it.)

Thank you
Have a good day all, and I hope all goes well from here on out.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
The Shantae haters still come up with the BS that "if Shovel Knight couldn't get in, then Shantae has no chance", which is something I always laugh it.

These people always ignore her longer history with Nintendo and I think it's fair to say that the two characters have about the same level of popularity. SK was Shantae's biggest competition for an indie spot, and if he's out of the running, it only increases her chances.
if they use that as their argument, chances are they don't actually want to have a discussion. Not worth your breath. They're both great characters (never played Shovel Knight because it looked bland, but after reading about it I'm excited to give it a try) who have nothing to do with each other other than their own obscurity.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Ok everyone,
Dylly is able to read today (and write some), and he's better than yesterday, but can't move his legs. But he actually does check this site a lot, when he can or when his friend is there. He's having a hard time, but there's still hope & more.

I'll be busy and really I can't be here as much,

Whoever wants to send Dyllybirdy Dyllybirdy some messages (pm conversation), please do so, it could really help for him to see how you feel about him and whatever you want to say and wish. He may not respond, depending on his energy and how he feels, but just getting your message can mean something.
(Don't be afraid to message more than once in a day if you feel like it.)

Thank you
Have a good day all, and I hope all goes well from here on out.

I'm happy to hear he's doing much better, which to me is a good sign: here's hoping he fully recovers!

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice

I dunno, I do think Shovel Knight is more popular than Shantae over west by a fair bit, buuuut I like Shantae more, and I admire WayForward's devotion to the character and frequent supporting of Nintendo. I guess that's why I just think Shantae should be in a little more.
Also just 'cause a character is popular doesn't mean they'll be a fighter (Which goes for Shantae too I guess), but acting like "Well my character's more popular and they didn't get in so no other similar characters should" is a little silly.

I'm gonna cheer Shantae on for Smash all the way until they have their last DLC if that's what it takes!

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
Well I can't say this is the news I expected to come back to. I really hope Dylly gets better from whatever is marring him he really brought more to this board then he might've thought.

On another note, I find it annoying that people keep comparing Shantae and Shovel Knight just because they're both indies despite the fact that their histories are largely different. I get that Shovel came out a few months before the ballot so the hype was high then to become an indie icon but it seems a little presumptuous to say that he is the be all end all for indie fighters.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
"Shovel Knight is more iconic than Shantae, so she has to have a less important role than him!"

Yeah, shame he's not iconic for appearing in his own games.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey

You know what they're doing? They're moving the goal posts, because I think they're ultimately under a subtle fear that their specific character may not make it. And Shovel Knight is the best guy to shovel that goalpost further away because he is the popular Indie Character of 2014. Though I don't want to raise a big stink on it over at RTC, I'm half-tempted to do so just to see how much of a negative reaction I'll get from it.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
"Shovel Knight is more iconic than Shantae, so she has to have a less important role than him!"

Yeah, shame he's not iconic for appearing in his own games.
Shovel Knight shows up in so much garbage it makes me dislike him which is unfortunate because SK is actually a great game

Seriously what the **** bro

Last edited:
Top Bottom