• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
So in other words, with all the hate/outbursts, the pressure cooker is being turned up as we're getting down to the wire. However, I'm glad Isabelle killed every fake leak (even fake leaks that haven't happened yet are dead and virtually no one should believe them anymore).

Really wish Vergeben's more recent leaks weren't so vague. If the dude knows, just tell us. Makes me think the vague leaks aren't true. And if they are, the disappointment is just gonna happen all over again. Gotta prepare for every possible scenario.

Either way, as long as his leaks are still technically well and alive (and gaining credibility with each new reveal), no one can fully speculate in peace. There's always going to be that back thought: "What if it is going to be some Pokemon and Square Enix rep for 69/70?"

It would be interesting if all the evidence we have for Shantae turns out to be pure coincidence.

But in all seriousness now, I think Shadow has the biggest opportunity out of everyone else to come in as a (echo?) fighter, now that Isabelle's been revealed.
That's what I immediately thought of during Isabelle's reveal.

Even on a more speculative standpoint and ignoring leaks, this just turned into a possibility and potential problem (for people trying to "fight" for what seems very few newcomer spots remaining).

My other thought was: "What if Shadow is a boss?" On the same grounds as Skull Kid being a potential boss.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Hey how're you all doing today? Recovered a bit from yesterday?
Getting back into gear, though I suspect things will be slower for a little bit, and I think that can be good too.

Just a heads up, I may change my avatar to something Isabelly for a while :)
I'm doing well. Things are certainly going to be much slower than usual, though it's been pretty slow around here for about the past week anyway. Hope things will pick up eventually.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
That's what I immediately thought of during Isabelle's reveal.

Even on a more speculative standpoint and ignoring leaks, this just turned into a possibility and potential problem (for people trying to "fight" for what seems very few newcomer spots remaining).

My other thought was: "What if Shadow is a boss?" On the same grounds as Skull Kid being a potential boss.
Hmm, that'd be an interesting thing to try to do. Though if Sakurai were to do this, would he do it Sonic Adventure 2 style, Sonic CD style, or Sonic 06 Style? Plus, that's assuming he didn't choose Dr. Robotnik and the Death Egg Mecha to be the boss for the Sonic franchise.
If we were to assume from the name "Spirits" that there's gonna be a Direct around Halloween, who'd you guys think would be boss characters?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Hmm, that'd be an interesting thing to try to do. Though if Sakurai were to do this, would he do it Sonic Adventure 2 style, Sonic CD style, or Sonic 06 Style? Plus, that's assuming he didn't choose Dr. Robotnik and the Death Egg Mecha to be the boss for the Sonic franchise.
If we were to assume from the name "Spirits" that there's gonna be a Direct around Halloween, who'd you guys think would be boss characters?
Skull Kid is pretty scary, (well the Majora's Mask is anyway) he'd fit quite nicely in a Halloween direct. King Boo would also be a fitting boss to reveal. Maybe someone like the Masked Man? Porky was already in Subspace, and I can't think of any other Mother villains that would fit, besides of course Giygas, but that would be ridiculous.

The Castlevania stuff would have been fun to announce around Halloween also, but they missed out on that opportunity.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Shantae fans are coming under some severe fire from haters today for some reason. First, DeviantARTists innocent drawings of her are getting removed along with their accounts, now people are coming out of the woodworks targeting vocal supporters like me.
Why are shantae fans coming under fire?

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
After all the butthurt I'm seeing, the fanbase isn't looking too good and are big targets. Keep this up and people will look Shantae the same way as most look at the Ashley and Daisy fanbases.
Except the Ashley fanbase has always generally mild.

EDIT: Sorry again for the double post. Something went wrong with my computer this time.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Why are shantae fans coming under fire?
Basically because haters perceive them as "Perverts" who only want her in because "she's hot". It's gotten so bad to the point where haters even made Deviantart take down Shantae fan art. Basically, haters are everywhere and will stop at nothing to do harm to their least favorite characters and their fans.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if I found out that they'd unironically take Steve over her. (Given Vergeben, that might not be much of a theoretical tho)

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Basically because haters perceive them as "Perverts" who only want her in because "she's hot". It's gotten so bad to the point where haters even made Deviantart take down Shantae fan art. Basically, haters are everywhere and will stop at nothing to do harm to their least favorite characters and their fans.

Edit: I wouldn't be surprised if I found out that they'd unironically take Steve over her. (Given Vergeben, that might not be much of a theoretical tho)
Who the haters or Nintendo?

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace

I forgot Vergeben mentioned Minecraft.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Who the haters or Nintendo?
I was talking about the haters, but given how Vergeben mentioned MC content in Smash, *cringes* it might be both.

Edit: Before anyone says that he said Stage or Assist, he(?) was unsure, so he(?) could have messed up and it's a fighter.

Edit 2: I remember hearing someone say that Goku was better and/or more likely.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Most of us here don't buy into vergeben. Or any leaks, for that matter.

As part of speculation, it's all fine, but it really limits things to believe one person's say, even if they've gotten a few predictions right.

So, some people said there was stuff targetted at Shantae today? Why would people take it out there? I dont think we or other shantae fans have been that vocal since the nindies, right? Anyway, probably doesn't matter..

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Most of us here don't buy into vergeben. Or any leaks, for that matter.

As part of speculation, it's all fine, but it really limits things to believe one person's say, even if they've gotten a few predictions right.

So, some people said there was stuff targetted at Shantae today? Why would people take it out there? I dont think we or other shantae fans have been that vocal since the nindies, right? Anyway, probably doesn't matter..
I have seen quite a lot of vocal Shantae fans around the web, and I expect some of them are a bit intrusive. I'd say that most of the people here keep to themselves however, we aren't a very vocal minority.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I have seen quite a lot of vocal Shantae fans around the web, and I expect some of them are a bit intrusive. I'd say that most of the people here keep to themselves however, we aren't a very vocal minority.
Where are they vocal? I hardly see anything besides the actual places they'd be. I havent seen them bother anyone, but I could be wrong. I've mostly just seen people downplaying her on gamefaqs, in terms of smash.
Anyway, I'll chalk it up as people being pissed by the latest direct and not knowing where to take it out.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Where are they vocal? I hardly see anything besides the actual places they'd be. I havent seen them bother anyone, but I could be wrong. I've mostly just seen people downplaying her on gamefaqs, in terms of smash.
Anyway, I'll chalk it up as people being pissed by the latest direct and not knowing where to take it out.
I'm gonna presume there's a vocal fanbase over on /v/, though it's drowned out by quite a lot of people.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
They're here and there.
Though, almost everyone that wasn't an Isabelle fan was slightly pissed off at that direct, some more than others.

Did you hear about the online? It keeps getting worse and worse:
Seems just like a shameless cash-grab now. :( I don't think Nintendo will ever be able to redeem it.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
They're here and there.
Though, almost everyone that wasn't an Isabelle fan was slightly pissed off at that direct, some more than others.
When I was looking at various videos on youtube, most people were ok and even glad for isabelle. The salt mostly seems to be around certain smash bases, like on smashboards. I think here people were expecting a lot more, well really craving for more. Me too, which made me kind of have a few mixed feelings about Isabelle (or at least the direct). I'm actually really glad she's not an echo, but her grab being like Villager's kind of irks me because of that too. I'm sure I'll settle too, probably sooner than some others.

I just don't think Shantae fans have been annoying to others. I mean we know some of what's being said, if not a lot, is undeserved. Anyway, all we can do is try to be supporters the best we can, I guess. She deserves to be in, and it sucks if other people feel differently, but it's still 'off'.
I don't think it matters much, and I hope eventually people will cool off and let fans have more of their place. you know?

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Did you hear about the online? It keeps getting worse and worse:
Seems just like a shameless cash-grab now. :( I don't think Nintendo will ever be able to redeem it.
It's not as robust as other paid services, but its also only 20 bucks for a year, and IMO the NES games that come with it kinda make it worthwhile. I see it as harmless.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
When I was looking at various videos on youtube, most people were ok and even glad for isabelle. The salt mostly seems to be around certain smash bases, like on smashboards. I think here people were expecting a lot more, well really craving for more. Me too, which made me kind of have a few mixed feelings about Isabelle (or at least the direct). I'm actually really glad she's not an echo, but her grab being like Villager's kind of irks me because of that too. I'm sure I'll settle too, probably sooner than some others.

I just don't think Shantae fans have been annoying to others. I mean we know some of what's being said, if not a lot, is undeserved. Anyway, all we can do is try to be supporters the best we can, I guess. She deserves to be in, and it sucks if other people feel differently, but it's still 'off'.
I don't think it matters much, and I hope eventually people will cool off and let fans have more of their place. you know?
I just want all of the communities to be able to coexist, and I'd say we're already doing it pretty well here. I hope that some of the communities on other sites learn to get along with each other, it's very depressing watching their pointless arguments, and hatred towards other character's fans, even if they did nothing wrong.

It's not as robust as other paid services, but its also only 20 bucks for a year, and IMO the NES games that come with it kinda make it worthwhile. I see it as harmless.
it's not like I've already bought all of these nes games on other platforms previously or anything

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
At the same time, though, I would have to agree that Nintendo was too vague about their services and why you should buy the $20 a year service. If you can't give a definitive answer, that simply raises more questions and doubt.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

How can they make DeviantArt take the fan art down? Are they claiming it's sexually explicit or claiming copyright?

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
They're here and there.
I can only imagine how the Animal Crossing community reacted to the double announcement.

Meanwhile every other fighter supporter kinda just sulks in the distance waiting for the next Smash announcement,

D

Deleted member

Shantae is still coming as a fighter #69 right next to daisy don’t lose hope y’all and stop talking about vergaben he’s a fraud remember? (I bet Isabelle was shown just to promote the new animal crossing)

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Everyone already considers that Shantae fans only want her in because of "she's hot, durrrrrr." That'll just make trolls and haters mock us worse.
Well, I'm not saying it's a huge negative, just I would prefer not to deal with the jokes, heckling, and dumb stuff like that.
It's like stubbing your toe, you don't want it to happen because it's a minor inconvenience, but if it does it's just a small thing that lasts a couple seconds.
You guys do realize that people will do it, regardless of the game number, right?
Take one excuse away to bash her, and they will create another.

It's just like school bullies, bullying you for playing Mario.
And then when you stop playing Mario and play COD instead, they will bully you, because your shoes are blue.
Point is: People want to hate on stuff, just for the sake of it. And they will come up with any number of excuses to do it.

Stop taking a stupid number so seriously.
You will only keep feeding the trolls this way.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You guys do realize that people will do it, regardless of the game number, right?
Take one excuse away to bash her, and they will create another.

It's just like school bullies, bullying you for playing Mario.
And then when you stop playing Mario and play COD instead, they will bully you, because your shoes are blue.
Point is: People want to hate on stuff, just for the sake of it. And they will come up with any number of excuses to do it.

Stop taking a stupid number so seriously.
You will only keep feeding the trolls this way.
You have to understand that there is a bigger context to this, and you might not understand it yet. I don't think it's going to be like a huge problem or anything, but we've talked about it because it's still a big enough deal. We don't want shantae to be the butt of a joke. People might do it anyway, but we'd rather they not have gas and a lighter, does this make sense?

Anyway, either way I just want her in :)

Last edited:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Now when I say I'm worried about her being #69 I'm being facetious. Yes there will be jokes but I won't be bothered by them all that much.
It has the potential to be really annoying but it's not something I'm afraid of.

Heck, if the theory pans out, that literally means Shantae is going to be the next full newcomer announcement and that's only good news.

I'm gonna go conspiracy level here, but it relates to WayForward and their 60k thanks tweet. Essentially, certain people on here seem to think that the 60 portion of the 60k is important in relation to Smash. Then the range of the 60's goes from 60-69. This conspiracy hinges on Shantae being confirmed before 70.
Good God we take everything from tweets at face and conspiracy values XD
Yup! Like I said before:

Oh I'm not, it would be amazing though.

Still, I'm kinda holding on to my crackpot theory of Shantae being one of the next two fighters revealed, because of all the milestones Wayforward celebreated, it was 60k when they did nothing for 50k and such.The next 2 slots are in the 60's range. K. Rool is number 67. So we still have 68 and 69.
And they used the same artwork of Shantae as when they celebrated their fans when the ballot ended and haven't used it any other time.

This is completely unsubstantiated and I do not expect it to pan out at all and I'm not encouraging anyone else to do the same lest they face disappointment and blame me. :p

BUT!
If it happens, I totally called it xD
xD

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
You have to understand that there is a bigger context to this, and you might not understand it yet. I don't think it's going to be like a huge problem or anything, but we've talked about it because it's still a big enough deal. We don't want shantae to be the butt of a joke. People might do it anyway, but we'd rather they not have gas and a lighter, does this make sense?

Anyway, either way I just want her in :)
Do you seriously think every single person on the planet will consider Shantae a butt-joke, if her number ends up being 69?
Heck, I think I can confidently claim, that most people won't care or even know what the 69 "joke" is.
I know I didn't, until you guys repeatedly brought it up and I had to ask.

Again, stop buying into the garbage that trolls and haters are feeding you.
Keep doing that and they win!

If Shantae's number ends up being 69, then it's because she is the 69th character to ever join Smash Bros.
Nothing more.

The 69 in the sexual sense, is completely unrelated to Smash Bros in every way.
So again, just stop getting upset over a goddamn number.
It's embarassing to see everyone freaking out over something so meaningless.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the topic of number jokes:

Nobody said anything about Peach and Daisy being the unluckiest fighters. Or sex jokes involving Mewtwo's position. Or joking about a male version of Bayonetta.

Yet people suddenly got up at arms when we got all the way to 68 and 69's coming next. My point is, number meanings didn't matter before, they really shouldn't matter now.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Do you seriously think every single person on the planet will consider Shantae a butt-joke, if her number ends up being 69?
Heck, I think I can confidently claim, that most people won't care or even know what the 69 "joke" is.

If Shantae's number ends up being 69, then it's because she is the 69th character to ever join Smash Bros.
Nothing more.

It's embarassing to see being freaking out over something to meaningless.

I'm certainly not freaking out about it. I mean, anyone who is the 69th character is going to be the butt of some jokes, it's inevitable. There would be a bit more of them if that character was Shantae, but it wouldn't matter too much. It's only a couple of numbers, what harm could it do?

Last edited:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Ok guys? Dial it back a bit. No one is "freaking out" and I think you're all reading too much into this.

No one is going "NOOO, NOT NUMBER 69, ANYTHING BUT THAT! WE'RE DOOMED, DOOOOOMED!" but that's what it feels like you're all reacting to.

Calm down please.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Eh, Shantae is only 16 in canon, though I bet most people who did make Shantae fanart made her 18. But why go through all the effort to just get a reaction out of us? It's not going to work too well on people like us.
No, but it sure hurts the artists who apparently lost their accounts, probably because DeviantArt is like YouTube. All the "take down" stuff is handled by an automated system with little to no human oversight.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Nothing more.

It's embarassing to see everyone freaking out over something so meaningless.

Oh trust me, people know. It's really annoying to hear people diss a character you like and using excuses to further their point. I'd rather they not have that excuse, but other than that I agree with you, and it's better to not care what others say like that. but we care too, so we don't want it to keep roling down a hill. The more we have things in our favor, the better. We'll still deal with it however we want to and we're allowed to be upset over it, so let us have our talk about it, and we can get it out of our system.

Ok guys? Dial it back a bit. No one is "freaking out" and I think you're all reading too much into this.

No one is going "NOOO, NOT NUMBER 69, ANYTHING BUT THAT! WE'RE DOOMED, DOOOOOMED!" but that's what it feels like you're all reacting to.

Calm down please.
Yeah, but there's also just one person (or a few) worried about us talking about it, so it's no biggie.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
On the topic of number jokes:

Nobody said anything about Peach and Daisy being the unluckiest fighters. Or sex jokes involving Mewtwo's position. Or joking about a male version of Bayonetta.

Yet people suddenly got up at arms when we got all the way to 68 and 69's coming next. My point is, number meanings didn't matter before, they really shouldn't matter now.
Exactly.

Let morons rot in their own cesspool and stop letting them affect your life.
Move on!

I'm certainly not freaking out about it. I mean, anyone who is the 69th character is going to be the butt of some jokes, it's inevitable. There would be a bit more of them if that character was Shantae, but it wouldn't matter too much.
Trolls and Haters can create any arbitrary "rule" to connect anything to anything.

Referring back to my school bully example:
They bully you, because you play Mario Games.
Stop doing that and they will still bully you. This time, because your shoes are blue.
Bullys will bully you, because they are predatory people and they see you as prey.
Whatever reason they give is just an excuse. They bully, because they love to torture and ruin people.

And with Shantae and her haters, it's a similar thing.
They hate her, because they want to hate her, period.
Shantae possibly being 69 is just an excuse.
And if Shantae doesn't end up with 69, they will create another excuse and keep hating on her.

You can't stop haters or convince them otherwise.
Just give it up and write them out of your life.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
The imperfect---and perverted---human mind will often conjure up sexual images to basically anything, especially these days. You can't even say "balls" when referring to spherical objects anymore, nor can you freely say other things like "lotion" or "kitty" anymore without that one person's sex-alarm going off. I'm not referring to anyone in here in particular, just in general reality.
I guess 69 is now illegal and should be skipped as a numerical value? Because clearly it's been reduced to a vulgar word now.

Going back on-topic...
I honestly wouldn't care if Shantae would be #69 in the roster. All I'd care about is being able to play as her, and then be able to go to sleep knowing that it wasn't a dream for once.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Exactly.

Let morons rot in their own cesspool and stop letting them affect your live.
Move on!

Trolls and Haters can create any arbitrary "rule" to connect anything to anything.

Referring back to my school bully example:
They bully you, because you play Mario Games.
Stop doing that and they will still bully you. This time, because your shoes are blue.
Bullys will bully you, because they are predatory people and they see you as prey.
Whatever reason they give is just an excuse. They bully, because they love to torture and ruin people.

And with Shantae and her haters, it's a similar thing.
They hate her, because they want to hate her, period.
Shantae possibly being 69 is just an excuse.
And if Shantae doesn't end up with 69, they will create another excuse and keep hating on her.

You can't stop haters or convince them otherwise.
Just give it up and write them out of your life.
I don't quite understand why you're making a big deal out of this, and I'll say again before this, that it is what it is and we'll deal with whatever happens, but since you brought it up, I'll say that it does still matter. People carry charges of emotions, and that doesn't mean it's always directed at someone or something at first. It's not just 'bullies' or whatever that this falls into, it's everyone. When you have someone you know turn against you, doesn't it hurt? I don't want other people to turn against shantae, I'd rather people feel good about her. Having more excuses prevents some people from seeing how great she is.

I rather more people love Shantae for what she is than she be lumped in that stuff. It's not like we can't deal with it if it does happen, but if we care, it's normal that we'll have a few upsets about it, and some of us are sensitive, so we can't just be 100% rocksolid against all haters. I don't know anyone like that, even if some people are decent at ignoring it. Most people fight back and it ends up in stupid struggles. I'm tired of all that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom