• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I do think a Direct for this month is very likely. They'll want to talk about the online service, other games they have coming up until early next year, and of course Smash. Since the online service is slated for the second half of September, it would be a safe guess that a Direct would happen this week or next week.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I agree with that, but probably more like a 40 minute Direct I'd say so they can really hammer home some games coming this year and early next year. Some surprise reveals as well like maybe the Spyro HD Collection.
Normally i would say 40 minutes is long... but with how much they still need to tell us about the online service, i can see that happening. Just proves there is plenty of time for 2 newcomers and 2 echos for smash too.

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
This thought just occurred to me that still doesn't destroy my hope for her strong chances but if and when they get around to adding western third parties, would someone like Shantae be the first one they really consider?

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
This thought just occurred to me that still doesn't destroy my hope for her strong chances but if and when they get around to adding western third parties, would someone like Shantae be the first one they really consider?
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I would say yes, considering how popular she could have been. Yeah, Dixie Kong would likely go before her, but there are not too many western 3rd party females that could really give Shantae too much trouble.

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
I would say yes, considering how popular she could have been. Yeah, Dixie Kong would likely go before her, but there are not too many western 3rd party females that could really give Shantae too much trouble.
But...Dixie isn't 3rd party...even if she is a western Ninty creation.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Actually, I realized something that could be big trouble if we don't address it. And that's what if sites like 4chan or even "moral guardians" attack Shantae once she's revealed to try to cut her out of Smash? That's something that sort of scares me about it, because considering their mindsets, they would just attack mindlessly.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Actually, I realized something that could be big trouble if we don't address it. And that's what if sites like 4chan or even "moral guardians" attack Shantae once she's revealed to try to cut her out of Smash? That's something that sort of scares me about it, because considering their mindsets, they would just attack mindlessly.
Best to just ignore them. Theres nothing wrong with shantae and if they want to try something let them blow their hot air out

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I don't remember anything like that happening for Bayonetta. And if we can have a shirtless Shulk...

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Completely ignore them. I've seen on various sites that a lot of people consider Shantae fans tend to "stick to themselves", so let's just keep that up. When it happens, just completely avoid the conversation. If she's already in, then there's no reason for us to even reply. They aren't going to just change Sakurai's mind if he's already poured resources into her development and released the character.

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I don't think they'd remove her from Smash in that case, probably just work with WayForward to tone her outfit down in a way that's still true to the character.

Honestly tho, I'm not sure if they'd bend to the demands of trolls or moral outrage groups, but who am I to really say what Nintendo will do if that's the case.
Although there are many things that are probably more worth getting up in arms about for those moral groups than a fighting game like Smash.

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Bask in glory as I use the salt for my FRIES.

In all seriousness though, I would personally enjoy it. They can get salty all they like. Same with Daisy and the Waluigi fallout. If she's in, I get to see a fallout and a lot of people in confusion, if not, I'm happy with what we got. Shantae still has her chances as DLC.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
The way I see her design "issue":

If she's already in, it would be a non-issue. Though I would hate for Sakurai and the Smash devs to bear the front of such attacks (should they happen), I have a feeling they (Smash devs / Sakurai) would not back down. Western companies are more influenced by "virtue signalling" than Japanese companies.

The only time I can remember...

Actually, no. That was the localization of Fire Emblem: Fates. Key word: localization. Meaning the Japanese version was unaffected.

And since Smash is a much bigger game, I don't think Sakurai would allow for such a change to occur for localized versions of Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I'm cool with Shantae getting a vest if it means getting her in Smash. It's not a huge deal anyway.

As long as they don't mess with the butt-shake when she crouches. That's probably her most trademark pose that isn't a dance.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Shantae's a traditionally E/E10+ game. Her design shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So if the ballot was represented in the form of battle royale for spots in Smash, how would Shantae's win be, and how close to losing would it be?

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Imma just slide this here. Taking a break from working at the moment. On topic though, I really hope she just doesn't get toned down at all.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Now THIS I could get behind.

Honestly, I never cared much for the Pirate's Curse vest. I'd much prefer her arm band thingies. And frankly, I want them back in her design regardless. xD
I like the vest, but I think it should be used to fill out the Pirate costume if they include it, otherwise it’s just a bandana/removed tiara and belt on her leg. If they don’t use that costume then I’m more than okay with the vest being included in her default look.

No. Even if she's in a full-body spacesuit, haters would still whine.
Eh let them whine, it shouldn’t really matter in the end as long as the rest of us get to enjoy her being in the game.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Technically the vest was in Risky's Revenge, just in the sprite, not the artwork.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Actually the reason HGH was rated T was because of the Giga Mermaid and not Shantae herself.

GoombaSSB

Smash Rookie
Ima admit, I've never played Shantae's game. BUT, I am fairly supportive of her. This being because it opens doors for indie games that have never been opened. It may gain a chance for another indie rep in the next smash (if there is one). And it will all in all gain popularity for indie games. Which is great, there's a lot of amazing indie games out there that deserve more credit for being good games.

Shadowknight1

Ima admit, I've never played Shantae's game. BUT, I am fairly supportive of her. This being because it opens doors for indie games that have never been opened. It may gain a chance for another indie rep in the next smash (if there is one). And it will all in all gain popularity for indie games. Which is great, there's a lot of amazing indie games out there that deserve more credit for being good games.
You should give her games a try. They're fun to play, not too terribly difficult(though the first has a bit of the old Nintendo style "Where the **** do I go" stuff), and full of all kinds of charm!

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Let the haters hate. It only shows how immature they really are.

If she's in, then I don't think Sakurai and the development team would drasticaly change her. We're talking about a game that has Bayonetta, a shirtless Shulk, and Palutena's panties. I don't see why Shantae's outfit would be a problem for them.

Oh, and there's Krystal's rather skimpy outfit. I'm surprised that alone didn't up it to a T rating.

Last edited:

GoombaSSB

Smash Rookie
You should give her games a try. They're fun to play, not too terribly difficult(though the first has a bit of the old Nintendo style "Where the **** do I go" stuff), and full of all kinds of charm!
I certainly do plan on giving it a try. Honestly the fact I just preached that Indie Games are good and haven't played her games may be a little bit of blasphemy. LOL

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
I don't think they'd remove her from Smash in that case, probably just work with WayForward to tone her outfit down in a way that's still true to the character.

Honestly tho, I'm not sure if they'd bend to the demands of trolls or moral outrage groups, but who am I to really say what Nintendo will do if that's the case.
Although there are many things that are probably more worth getting up in arms about for those moral groups than a fighting game like Smash.
If that was the case, then Sakurai would changed the fates of a lot of AT to be playable then. (Mainly because of the evil side of the WAA)

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Let the haters hate. It only shows how immature they really are.

If she's in, then I don't think Sakurai and the development team would drasticaly change her. We're talking about a game that has Bayonetta, a shirtless Shulk, and Palutena's panties. I don't see why Shantae's outfit would be a problem for them.

Oh, and there's Krystal's rather skimpy outfit. I'm surprised that alone didn't up it to a T rating.
Don't forget Zero Suit Samus's 2 Alt costumes.

Top Bottom