• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bestgalaredigital

Smash Rookie
Btw guys, about why shantae could be playable over shovel knight or some other indie... I have another theory. Shovel knight universe wil take more ressource in order to make a stage/trophy etc... because every area in the game are retro pixel art style, then it will demand a lot of time to revamp that into a 3D artstyle.
Btw shantae, has already some 3D environnement assets and her game environment are detailed enough in pirate curse/half genie heroes.
It's really easyer for the smash team to do a Shantae stage and Shantae trophy instead a shovel knight/undertale etc... stage/trophy

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Y'know I've seen this argument against Shantae a couple times and I just don't quite get it, which is people going on about "How WayForward acted during the ballot" or "They begged for her to be in Smash"
Is it just a bit of saltiness? 'cause all I thought WayForward just were like "Hey, we'd be happy if our character was in Smash, if you do too, why not vote for her". And it spawned a buncha support and cute fanart! It just feels weird and salty to me, but maybe I'm not getting the full story, I dunno.

Also I'm not sure creating a level to do with Shovel Knight would be difficult enough to be like "nope, we can't make him viable", I just think it's recency, lack of people knowing about him in Japan, and Shovel Knight isn't exactly an expressive character.

Last edited:

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Honestly, it's NEVER been about Indies competing with each other for Ultimate in the first place.

If Ridley, K. Rool and every single veteran didn't already make it obvious enough, then Shovel Knight even making it into the game AT ALL is 100% undeniable proof that Ultimate's development is focusing completely on the ballot.

I'll be real with everyone and this may as well be fact: The Ballot is the ONLY reason Shantae has any chance of being playable in this game. She and Shovel Knight had no place in Smash Bros. without the ballot, because they may as well have not even existed to Sakurai's team.

So all this talk of Quote or any other Indie being an actual competitor to Shantae is simply not true at all. They simply had no results in the polls. And our mock polls may not be extremely accurate, but the state of Ultimate so far tells us that we're not super far off.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
So all this talk of Quote or any other Indie being an actual competitor to Shantae is simply not true at all.
Exactly this.

Shovel Knight was the only true competitor to Shantae for an "Indie rep" and he's out of the running. It really helps Shantae's chances as well that she ticks every single box according to Sakurai's design philosophy (unique silhouette, brings something new to the table, expressive) and her legal negotiations would more than likely be even easier than a few 1st parties.

I'm hoping that Sakurai gave her the time of day and investigated her by playing her games so that some of that half genie magic could rub off of him and he could become a fraction as fanatic as her fanbase. xD

If he did, I think there's a strong possibility that she could have sold her potential to him. Shantae, as both a character and a series, is basically a wellspring of massive untapped potential waiting to burst.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I always felt that Reimu or Shantae were the only indies that have any shot of being in Smash. Reimu is a literal cultural icon in Japan with a decently sized western fanbase while Shantae has more a more historic relationship with Nintendo with more worldwide appeal. I never considered Shovel Knight or Quote a possibility to be playable.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly, it's just a smart thing to do, making use of fan support. We all want her in smash, and why wouldn't wayforward? Is it wrong to be true to what you want, especially if it aligns with what others want?
She'd be a great addition, she's an indie character that made it to the hearts of some people, both as a game and a character. Did she partly make it cuz she's a cute design? maybe. Though I think the game speaks for itself too. I like platformers, you like platformers, what's not to like when there's a neat adventure of one, leaning on metroidvania?

You like games, you like smash, you can like shantae, it's simple, I mean you can like shovel knight too, haha nothing wrong with that. Is there really need to hate on a character that others like just as much as you like that armored neatoguy, I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate that your character be disliked because it threatened, or didn't, something about the ones others like. If we can accept that someone likes a character, we don't have to be mean just because we can think everyone should like the same thing I like.
And then when you're going to talk about chances, there's ways to talk about those without pointing out everything going against a character as if we don't already know that, we're sensitive to what people say about her, so it's not gonna help to rub it in, and most of us want to be real about her chances anyway, and it's what also lets us know that she has real chances, because we look at everything, and we want to believe, just like we don't want to be too disappointed, especially some people, so that's why we can be both real and when we're not despairing we're hopeful for her, knowing some stuff is pointing in a good direction. We don't know exactly what that direction is, but we can guess and we're a bit torn cuz we don't trully know, but we feel she deserves a spot, and others want spots for their characters so there's tension and they don't know how to go about it but play down the chances and look at what could go against her (and other characters they feel threatened by) in order to justify why their character deserves a spot (instead of the otheres).
And it's that 'instead' that doesn't have to be there, especially in a world of dlc, and looking at it more generously, we wouldn't have to bear as well as deliver the aggression around. I'm pretty sensitive and that's why I notice it quite a bit, even if I dish out sometimes too. I've downplayed some other characters, and sometimes it's just about being realistic but other times it's unnecessary.
I know it's silly to get bent over this stuff, but at the same time I think other people here are putting some part of themselves in here, we all have some reason for being into this, and meaning something or other to us. So I hope this doesn't sounds too weird, I'm just speaking my mind, venting a bit, and I'm tired, but I'm optimistic too, and also kind of passing the time, like a lot of people are doing, talkin' :p

If you read through all that, congrats, if it makes sense, good. if not, oh well. ;) catch ya laters.

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping that Sakurai gave her the time of day and investigated her by playing her games so that some of that half genie magic could rub off of him and he could become a fraction as fanatic as her fanbase. xD

If he did, I think there's a strong possibility that she could have sold her potential to him. Shantae, as both a character and a series, is basically a wellspring of massive untapped potential waiting to burst.
Thats...actually a really good point.

I mean think about it. How many people actually KNEW about Richter? Call me crazy, but I think I figured out how Sakurai picks his characters.

What if it isn't just popularity, but rather how fun is this character? I know its easy to say, "Yeah, we know this." But here me out. Shovel Knight is the most popular indie in the west, sure. Have you guys realized that charcters are nore likely to get in if Sakurai is able to get his hands on them? Who even remembers Richter? Or Geno? Or Isaac for that matter? If Sakurai doesn't get his hands on the game, then they can't stay true.

Simple, again, but now take a look at Shovel Knight. I love Shovel Knight, but its weird I never considered him competition. I played his game, but he never seemed all that fun to play if he were in Smash. To convuluted, no reward, no fun. Shovel Knight isn't fun as a character to play with. As a game, sure, but as a character, nowhere near.

So this REALLY means that Shantae has a huge chance. But she IS fun. She's fun to watch, and fun to PLAY with. We don't just love her games, we love HER. The way she plays is what makes her stand out.

Or...maybe I got to into it. Idk...

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
The next direct should hopefully burn all these try-hard leaks in an incinerator.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Yeah this is pretty much exactly the case. The only chance Shantae possibly has of being playable is if Sakurai fell in love with her potential as a fighter when investigating her.

Those who have kept up with his interviews will know that this is point for point why he picked Robin as the new FE rep over Chrom, when Robin was in this similar position of obscurity (as a possible Smash fighter at least.)

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Yeah this is pretty much exactly the case. The only chance Shantae possibly has of being playable is if Sakurai fell in love with her potential as a fighter when investigating her.

Those who have kept up with his interviews will know that this is point for point why he picked Robin as the new FE rep over Chrom, when Robin was in this similar position of obscurity (as a possible Smash fighter at least.)
Not only that but I'm hinging on that for Geno as well. xD

Who, according to Sakurai, "looks like he'd be absolutely perfect for Smash".

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

I mean think about it. How many people actually KNEW about Richter? Call me crazy, but I think I figured out how Sakurai picks his characters.
If I can take it on a tanget, I noticed that instead of the new unified gothic Castlevania designs for either of them, Simon got his original Conan-esque look, which is popular in the west and Richter got his original anime-esque look, which is popular in Japan. Matter of fact nearly all of the 3rd parties got their original looks: Pac-Man has the pie eyes and no teeth, Mega Man is a 1 to 1 of his NES sprite's proportions and Cloud and Bayonetta have their original looks and most recent looks as alt costumes.

The exceptions are Ryu, who took one game to get his design down, Snake who is an amalgamation of two or three looks and Sonic who is his modern self.

What I'm getting at is, will Shantae rock her original look, her most recent look or a mish-mash of them?
I'm thinking they go for the HGH look on her tiara and baggy genie pants but use the proportions from Pirate's curse and the arm bands from the first two games.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

What if it isn't just popularity, but rather how fun is this character? I know its easy to say, "Yeah, we know this." But here me out. Shovel Knight is the most popular indie in the west, sure. Have you guys realized that charcters are nore likely to get in if Sakurai is able to get his hands on them? Who even remembers Richter? Or Geno? Or Isaac for that matter? If Sakurai doesn't get his hands on the game, then they can't stay true.

Simple, again, but now take a look at Shovel Knight. I love Shovel Knight, but its weird I never considered him competition. I played his game, but he never seemed all that fun to play if he were in Smash. To convuluted, no reward, no fun. Shovel Knight isn't fun as a character to play with. As a game, sure, but as a character, nowhere near.

So this REALLY means that Shantae has a huge chance. But she IS fun. She's fun to watch, and fun to PLAY with. We don't just love her games, we love HER. The way she plays is what makes her stand out.

You got it, man. Sakurai is the type of person who would pass over Bomberman as the "obvious" Hudson Soft pick simply because Master Higgins and/or Bonk can be more fun and interesting to play with. Between a guy that plants bombs, a native that throws hammers, rides a skateboard and needs health badly, and a cave man that uses his head to fight, there's no question who might get in first.

If I can take it on a tanget, I noticed that instead of the new unified gothic Castlevania designs for either of them, Simon got his original Conan-esque look, which is popular in the west and Richter got his original anime-esque look, which is popular in Japan. Matter of fact nearly all of the 3rd parties got their original looks: Pac-Man has the pie eyes and no teeth, Mega Man is a 1 to 1 of his NES sprite's proportions and Cloud and Bayonetta have their original looks and most recent looks as alt costumes.

The exceptions are Ryu, who took one game to get his design down, Snake who is an amalgamation of two or three looks and Sonic who is his mmodern self.

What I'm getting at is, will Shantae rock her original look, her most recent look or a mish-mash of them?
I'm thinking they go for the HGH look on her tiara and baggy genie pants but use the proportions from Pirate's curse and the arm bands from the first two games.
I'd be down for that. They might even toss in her slightly deeper skin tone from the first game, if possible.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

The exceptions are Ryu, who took one game to get his design down, Snake who is an amalgamation of two or three looks and Sonic who is his mmodern self.

I have also wondered that. It doesn't help that Shantae's design, both stylistically and cloth wise has changed a bit every game. I do kinda hope they try to do a sort of mish-mash of all her designs. Hey, maybe the Shantae alternate sheet can give us a good idea of what they can take?

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
I had forgotten about the awesome Rottytops alt they made, that would probably not make it in the game even if Shantae does...

And now I want it.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Just thinking, with all of Shantae's 4th wall leaning, they could have some fun with the codecs and Palutena's guidance.

Pit: Wow, whoever this is, she sure keeps her hair well conditioned.
Palutena: That's Shantae. She's the Half-Genie guardian of Scuttle town. Even if she doesn't have a full genie's power, she can use her magical dances to take all different forms.
Pit: So I ahve to watch her moves and her dance moves? Got it!
Shantae: Hmm... who are you talking to?
Pit: Woah! She just used her Genie magic to hear our telepathic conversation!
Shantae: Telepathic? You talking out loud to thin air.
Pit: Oh... that's embarrassing.
Viridi: Figures you don't know when to stop running your mouth.

And taking advantage of two characters sharing the same VO...

AUX press SELECT
Risky Boots: So you're the one trying to defeat that Half-Genie brat?
Snake: What?! How did you hack this line?!
Risky: The "how" is unimportant. The "why" is that she's stood in my way three too many times and the enemy of my enemy is my ally.
Snake: *assorted grumbles*
Risky: Shantae is Half-human and Half-genie so she can use magical dances to change her form. Each has different strengths and weaknesses so you need to counter each one.
Snake: So what you're saying is, I need to think one step ahead of her?
Risky: ... That's exactly what I said in different words! Now I remember why I never got a parrot.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Oh dear. If they give Shantae that Rottytops alt, I'm gonna be stuck maining that while playing Rottytops' Theme/Nightmare Woods on infinite loop.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Honestly, the only thing I can think of that holds Shantae back would be if Sakurai chooses another character over her. I'm sure he knows who he is due to meeting WayForward and hopefully she was in the back of his mind enough for him to consider her.

What Shantae had over Shovel Knight is not just her long history with Nintendo, but she has much more moveset potential and she's a far more fun and expressive character. She checks all the boxes for a Smash character and frankly her potential would be wasted as an assist trophy.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone seen this graphic on Twitter? It basically sums up everything that we've been saying about Shantae's chances in Smash.

The Twitter user @Egderp94 posted it, although I'm not sure if they created it or not.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmO4IRmUwAAOAbG.jpg:large
seen it days earlier on 4chan, when there were support and hatred for Shantae. I didn't postbit because I have a memory of a goldfish.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hey guys: I don't usually ask stuff like this and I haven't done it on here before until now, but how have you guys thought of me as the thread owner? I do admit to being inactive sometimes mainly due to my occasional bouts of laziness or being genuinely busy, but I always try my best to be the best thread owner I can be, especially in light of Ultimate. And from that, I intend on continuing to be here beyond December and/or Shantae gets confirmed.

Thought I'd ask either way as feedback never hurts. :)

Last edited:

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys: I don't usually ask stuff like this and I haven't done it on here before until now, but how have you guys thought of me as the thread owner? I do admit to being inactive sometimes mainly due to my occasional bouts of laziness or being genuinely busy, but I always try my best to be the best thread owner I can be, especially in light of Ultimate. And from that, I intend on continuing to be here beyond December and/or Shantae gets confirmed.

You're doing fine Yellow, nobody here is going to start a coup just because you can't be here 100% of the time. We're not GameFAQs :laugh:
And we're happy to have this thread, I mean look how well it's been doing! I'm super hopeful for Shantae's chances these days

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
It's been so long since i've posted here, not since brawl really but put me on support for Shantae, yes you probably have seen me post on Gamefaqs, but i mean no harm really xD

I'd like to see her in!

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019

I think you're perfect as our thread owner.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I just blocked a hater on Twitter who refused to listen to the arguments in favor of Shantae. The guy kept on going on about "if Shovel Knight is only an assist trophy, Shantae won't be playable" while ignoring her history with Nintendo.

I hate toxic fans.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
I just blocked a hater on Twitter who refused to listen to the arguments in favor of Shantae. The guy kept on going on about "if Shovel Knight is only an assist trophy, Shantae won't be playable" while ignoring her history with Nintendo.

I hate toxic fans.
Sadly that's just how it is on the internet, some people you just can't reason with, they'll do the online equivalent of plugging their ears going "lalala I can't hear you!"

Honestly the people who bag on Shantae and use Shovel Knight as a reason don't strike me as actual Shovel Knight fans. I mean if you really liked that character, why would you put down another character and their fans? Isn't Shovel Knight supposed to be an embodiment of chivalry and goodness? Seems antithetical to me.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sadly that's just how it is on the internet, some people you just can't reason with, they'll do the online equivalent of plugging their ears going "lalala I can't hear you!"

Honestly the people who bag on Shantae and use Shovel Knight as a reason don't strike me as actual Shovel Knight fans. I mean if you really liked that character, why would you put down another character and their fans? Isn't Shovel Knight supposed to be an embodiment of chivalry and goodness? Seems antithetical to me.
I have a feeling a lot of haters will be on suicide watch the minute Shantae gets revealed. :4pacman:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I have a feeling a lot of haters will be on suicide watch the minute Shantae gets revealed. :4pacman:
Someone should draw Shantae IF she gets revealed, have her drinking from one of those huge water towers you see sometimes, with "Shantae haters' tears" written on it. Smugly slurping away with a really long straw. Sky standing next to her saying "Should you really be drinking all that?"

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Although yeah, I will say that I'm not all that interested in indulging in the "hater tears" if she were to get in. I don't like the idea of being sore winners (or losers, let's not forget that possibility either). It reflects poorly on the fanbase and by extension, the character.

It's an unfair criticism, in my opinion, but there are quite a few characters out there that are hated solely due to the toxicity of the fanbases.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman

Okay, wow. Been here for a couple weeks and this one crazy theory is my most liked. Well, here's some of my MORE crazy theory that goes off but comes back to Shantae.

Anybody remember that "leak" with Skullkid? Where he's a potential boss? Lets think about that for a second. What if it were true?

Now, I never played any of the Legend of Zelda games, but it seems Skullkid is the most favorite. Only game I have played was Windwaker, and even then its not my forte. But anyway....

I assume Skullkid is in Breath of the Wild. Probably. But lets say that Sakurai takes some of his moves from that game (or Majoras Mask is where I'm guessing he came from) and makes them into Smash Bros. Would they be any fun to play with? I honestly don't know, so someone who HAS played it, let me know.

Even Bomberman is an odd choice as a playable character. Nothing wrong with him, we have Shantae. But if he's any fun is the real question.

I watched walkthroughs of bomberman, and his playstyle isn't exactly fun for or against. If for, he'd be an absolute stage hazard, making it completely difficult to even land a hit. PLUS, different types of bombs too? Its chaotic! I love me chaotic, but its not fun for bomber to constantly leave bombs that he himself could be hurt by, or pass of as nothing, and against if he has absolute stage control the moment he sets foot. We already have Bayonetta.

It makes sense why Sakurai put him as an assist trophy. He wouldn't be fun to implement.

Where it BACKFIRES is someone like Rayman. Rayman is a good game. Rayman is fun. HE is fun. To play with, AND would be fun to play against. Rabbids too. Yes, we'd be a little annoyed, but its just the sound they make, rather than their character. If they tone down how they shout, everyone would warm up to them.

If we think like this, we can potentially see who has the most LIKELY chance of getting in, EVEN if they fit ALL of the requirements.

I think I have a picture too. Its somewhere around it, but it should give us an idea if Shantae fits the deal. I'll come back with an edit if I find it.

EDIT:

Last edited:
Top Bottom