• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
Happy 100+ pages!

I'm glad there's a place like this because honestly reading through other sites especially reddit is exhausting with so much negativity around Shantae. I mean I don't see Shantae fans kicking down other fans for their most wanted characters , so why do people feel the need to do that to us?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Happy 100+ pages!

I'm glad there's a place like this because honestly reading through other sites especially reddit is exhausting with so much negativity around Shantae. I mean I don't see Shantae fans kicking down other fans for their most wanted characters , so why do people feel the need to do that to us?
It's because we're basically like the Ned Flanders of the Smash People. We're sort of the type of people that doesn't really force people to go for her, we stay faithful towards her even at the worst times, and we don't necessarily take leaks in as being the gossip of God. We're easily pushed over, but we sway as effectively as the mountains.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Happy 100+ pages!

It's just the toxic side of Smash in general. I've grown used to it after all the nonstop whining and grumbling after Chrom got in. Like, screw all of y'all, it made me and a bunch of other people happy, and I don't tear you guys down for wanting Issac or whatever, just be happy for people other than yourselves you selfish pricks.

EDIT: just to be clear, I don't mean anyone in this thread or anyone in particular, just the exhausting amount of people who have to complain anytime someone they don't like gets in Smash.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I dunno there's all sorts of people who're fans of many characters, including here. Somehow we have more geno fans than isaac fans here, funnily enough, but then we have a batman fan and all sorts of other ones. Maybe we run less risk like rogue waluigi fans going to far, but from what I've seen we're still all over the place and i've seen some people talk down other characters. I think it's just human nature, we see the worst side of it sometimes on the internet.
happens. But I agree things could be nicer for fans and supporters.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I swear, whenever I go on Twitter there's always some jerk who says that Shantae can't get in because Shovel Knight is only an assist trophy or that her fans only want her in "because she's hot". They keep on dismissing her history with Nintendo or make up some other excuse as to why she won't be playable.

I hate it when fandoms I enjoy get toxic like that.

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
Happy 100+ pages!

I think it's a combination of projection and insecurity. They look at an indie 3rd party character like Shantae and, without knowing anything about the games, assume the only reason someone would vote for a character like her is for her character design. Then, you add on the fact that out of all the obscure characters that people are rooting for in smash, Shantae performed very well on the ballot and has a lot of circumstantial evidence surrounding her. Basically, they see her as an obscure character they don't think deserves to be in smash who actually has a chance at getting in and they feel threatened because it might mean their most wanted won't get in. It's why they attack her at every chance while ignoring all the constant conversation surrounding other obscure characters. Shantae fans aren't even that vocal on other sites, probably because of the attacks.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Then there's one of my mates on Discord, when I've shown them the pastebin, they thought that Shantae was an impossibility, all because of some hearsay between a "big smash player" apparently getting a big fat no from Sakurai.
But yeah, because of all the circumstantial evidence pointing towards Shantae, my rather small ember has erupted into a raging inferno. And I got you fine blokes to thank for that! :p

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
For me, the most annoying dismissal is that "Shovel Knight is the most iconic indie, ergo, Shantae is getting a less important role than him." Meanwhile, Daisy gets in over Waluigi and nobody really complains. How's that work?

Ergo, if she does get in, I humbly request a montage of the non-believers set to this music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p1pCG634Ag

That being said, I don't want us to become Ashley supporters and act like Shantae was personally promised to us by Sakurai. It's bad enough that some of us have brought into "THE CHAIRS ARE A SECRET MESSAGE" conspiracy. Let's stick to the most compelling evidence: Wayforward's silence.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
For me, the main rival for Shantae in smash never was Shovel Knight... But Quote. This guy is another serious indies contender.

Quote is a really iconic character from the indie scene... Cave story is quite historic, one of the first indie game who popularise the retro pixel art etc...
Game has some exclusive version release on various nintendo system. This game represent something huge... and also, Quote has some good mooves with all his weapon.

If an indie character has or had to be playable in smash, its Shantae or Quote, no one else.
Yeah, but like Shovel Knight he really only has one game to his name, the only difference was being remade a few times instead of expanded with DLC. Not to mention the whole Blade Strangers appearance.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
For me, the main rival for Shantae in smash never was Shovel Knight... But Quote. This guy is another serious indies contender.

Quote is a really iconic character from the indie scene... Cave story is quite historic, one of the first indie game who popularise the retro pixel art etc...
Game has some exclusive version release on various nintendo system. This game represent something huge... and also, Quote has some good mooves with all his weapon.

If an indie character has or had to be playable in smash, its Shantae or Quote, no one else.
There is one thing going against him; his creator Daisuke Amaya is seemingly trying to move on to other things, though fans demand a sequel for Cave Story regardless.

Also, he and Curly already showed up in Blade Strangers, so I have no idea if Nicalis would be affected by a NDA.

Then there's the issue of whether or not there was quite a bit of ballot demand.

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I just find it baffling when people use pure sales numbers or relevancy to try and argue why a character that was only one years old, released in a single game, would be more likely to be playable just because he was more popular mainstream. I feel like even if Shovel Knight had sold 100 million copies worldwide, Sakurai would still go for a much older character like Geno or Banjo from classics that still maintain fans today.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
That being said, I don't want us to become Ashley supporters and act like Shantae was personally promised to us by Sakurai. It's bad enough that some of us have brought into "THE CHAIRS ARE A SECRET MESSAGE" conspiracy. Let's stick to the most compelling evidence: Wayforward's silence.
Haha, yeah, sorry about the chairs thing. Though the tale of Ashley should be something like a legend. In a sense of way, of course.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Well, to be honest, I just want more Shantae. If she gets in Smash as a character, that'll send me over the moon. I'll be a little disappointed if she's an assist trophy because she'll likely just be whipping people with her hair when we all know she has so much more potential than that. But if this is just teasing for a new Shantae game, be it a remake/remaster of the first or Shantae 5, I'll be happy with that too.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Well, to be honest, I just want more Shantae. If she gets in Smash as a character, that'll send me over the moon. I'll be a little disappointed if she's an assist trophy because she'll likely just be whipping people with her hair when we all know she has so much more potential than that. But if this is just teasing for a new Shantae game, be it a remake/remaster of the first or Shantae 5, I'll be happy with that too.
Why not remaster the original game and give it the HGH paintjob? It'd be interesting to see OG Sky's design again.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Know what should be an Assist trophy? Cat Girl Without Salad. That would be hilarious

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well you never know. It could be or it could not be but that is the fun with speculating.

Can't wait to see what comes next(crosses fingers for Smash Bros. inclusion).

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sadly, no. It was briefly available for free earlier this year, too.

Seriously, who on Earth thought that selling it on Humble Bundle and not Steam was a good idea? It's not even a licensed game?
I always just assumed it was a joke game and totally missed it got an actual release... :(

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
can you imagine.png

oof i posted this in the geno thread and the isaac thread but forgot to put shantae in there, OOPS

but just imagine, that this is possibly what smash bros ultimate might look like, let this image sink in that we live in this timeline

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Count me in as a supporter, that Jammies mode DLC is definitely a tease, coupled with the dev's current silence on the subject of smash when they were very vocal before, not to mention her popularity in the ballot in all regions and I'd say she's very likely.

Last edited:

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
A Redditor suggests that there may be a Direct upcoming this week.

Now he is saying a MAYBE. Its just what he thinks, so please don't spread it as fact. I honestly thought it was interesting to share, so here ya guys go.

View attachment 161695
oof i posted this in the geno thread and the isaac thread but forgot to put shantae in there, OOPS

but just imagine, that this is possibly what smash bros ultimate might look like, let this image sink in that we live in this timeline
Now THAT is what I call a colorful cast of newcomers!

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
Shantae lookin pretty tall there next to the other guys! Geez, I would not mind that.
the Elesis Knight model of Shantae is much more realistically figured and taller than her Smashified appearance. it was hard to pick which one would look better as a Smash Ultimate render but i picked the Elesis knight one because the shading is much better ^^;

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
the Elesis Knight model of Shantae is much more realistically figured and taller than her Smashified appearance. it was hard to pick which one would look better as a Smash Ultimate render but i picked the Elesis knight one because the shading is much better ^^;
I think it's a better idea of what she would actually look like than Smashified too.

I really don't think Sakurai would make her a chibi, but she IS tiny, so she would probably be even shorter than Mac but with normal proportions.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

zferolie

Smash Hero
A Redditor suggests that there may be a Direct upcoming this week.

Now he is saying a MAYBE. Its just what he thinks, so please don't spread it as fact. I honestly thought it was interesting to share, so here ya guys go.

Now THAT is what I call a colorful cast of newcomers!
If best buy took down that announcement then yeah they said it early. I could see it beimg tied to a direct this week too. Lets wait and see!

I mean...its pretty certain there will be a general direct with one smash reveal given they HAVE to release one to explain the online stuff happening on the 20th this month.
I think they can still give us 2 newcomers and 2 echos in a general direct. One at the start(shantae) about a 2 minute trailer at most. Then 3 minutes or so to describe her and the stage. Then normal direct stuff for 8 minutes or so. Then show the 2 echos at the half way piitn, isabelle and dixie king, at 2 minutes. Then more general direct stuff. Then as it ends another trailer, 1 minute and a half or so, then add them all to the artwork. Boom, only about 9 minutes for smash out of a 30 minute or so direct, i say that length since they will talk in depth about the online

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
View attachment 161695

While I don't care for Issac, I'd be happy if those were the final characters added. They all have a decent chance of making it into the base roster.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I think it's a better idea of what she would actually look like than Smashified too.

I really don't think Sakurai would make her a chibi, but she IS tiny, so she would probably be even shorter than Mac but with normal proportions.
I will say the Smashified isn't bad, but the proportions are weird. I like the Smashified one that WreckitRyan has as his avatar better. But that Elesis Knight model is pretty good too.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
If best buy took down that announcement then yeah they said it early. I could see it beimg tied to a direct this week too. Lets wait and see!

I think they can still give us 2 newcomers and 2 echos in a general direct. One at the start(shantae) about a 2 minute trailer at most. Then 3 minutes or so to describe her and the stage. Then normal direct stuff for 8 minutes or so. Then show the 2 echos at the half way piitn, isabelle and dixie king, at 2 minutes. Then more general direct stuff. Then as it ends another trailer, 1 minute and a half or so, then add them all to the artwork. Boom, only about 9 minutes for smash out of a 30 minute or so direct, i say that length since they will talk in depth about the online
I agree with that, but probably more like a 40 minute Direct I'd say so they can really hammer home some games coming this year and early next year. Some surprise reveals as well like maybe the Spyro HD Collection.

Top Bottom