• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
You know if Shantae does get revealed, part of me wants Sakurai (or whoever would be talking in the video at the time) to elaborate a little bit about some things that led to her inclusion. Maybe soften the potential blow with sound reason, or what have you.

I don't believe this is necessary, but it would be interesting to have some sort of short segment regarding her indie status. It would not have to be long.

Edit: Like a whole "This is the first indie character to get in Smash..." sort of thing.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Not to go too deep into politics, but this is similar to the attack ad in how its executed. While its primary use is to cast doubt on the opposition and make the opinion of the benefactor's seem to be for the best, its use nowadays is mainly to cover up the benefactor's own weak points due to low confidence. That's all I'll talk about this on here xD

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Of course, it's insecurity. That's at the base for every problem, including attacks.

I don't think there's that much hate, it just depends where you look, and what you take to be hate. If you get that it's insecurity, you know they just have trouble feeling good about their characters, or about feeling good in general.

It's better to focus on the support, and to try to be understanding of others who are hurting, and not attack back or lower their characters.
And of course, to focus on our own support to strengthen ourselves rather than weaken others :)

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Convience is real! There was a reddit post about Shantae yesterday night too, saying how she wouldn't get in because "If Shovel Knight didn't make it in, than Shantae definietly isn't." I'll come back for an Edit.

EDIT: Reddit Post Just Recently

Also, Congrats on 100 pages! The support is real!

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Convience is real! There was a reddit post about Shantae yesterday night too, saying how she wouldn't get in because "If Shovel Knight didn't make it in, than Shantae definietly isn't." I'll come back for an Edit.

EDIT: Reddit Post Just Recently

Also, Congrats on 100 pages! The support is real!
Oh look, an actual sensible response from the same thread:

"I mean, I get your point here, but I don't see why this had to be said. This isn't exactly going to create a lot of fun discussion/speculation, and it's just gonna end up causing arguments. Like, if a character is gonna get in, just let it happen. It's needlessly negative to post something like this. I say just let people have their hopes and wait for the directs to let them down, cuz at least that comes from the team."

Reddit doesn't like her either, hence why I came here instead.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Best to ignore the haters. They will be there no mater what. I always hated the argument that a charavter stole anothers slot for ages.

You know if Shantae does get revealed, part of me wants Sakurai (or whoever would be talking in the video at the time) to elaborate a little bit about some things that led to her inclusion. Maybe soften the potential blow with sound reason, or what have you.

I don't believe this is necessary, but it would be interesting to have some sort of short segment regarding her indie status. It would not have to be long.

Edit: Like a whole "This is the first indie character to get in Smash..." sort of thing.
Thats why i feel if she is revealed she will be at the start of a dorect, not the end. Sakurai would want to talk about the significance of shantae

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You can't please everyone. Any character reveal from here on out will have some people not happy about it.
We know that she has decent chances, and we, and many others, will enjoy her when/if she makes it in. That's what I'm gonna try to focus on anyway :)

Last edited:

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Of all the community invented rules, requirements, etc, slots are by far the one I hate the worst.
I get the concept, each character takes time and that's time that can't be used on another character, but if there's a character Sakurai wants in, and they are doable, they will go in, especially in a world where Nintendo has embraced DLC, so if a character's development time runs to long, their chances don't become zero.
What's more, even in the cases that "slots" have been shown to exist (ie Greninja, Robin) it's been very specific criteria.
The idea that two completely unrelated in either game or gameplay characters would be competing for a spot is just silly.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I really hate the logic that some haters have been using of “If Shovel Knight can’t get in, Shantae can’t either”. The main reason is that if Shovel Knight was confirmed as a fighter, people would be saying “Shantae can’t be the indie rep because Shovel Knight is”. IMO, the argument would make more more sense if he was a fighter, but AT’s don’t inherently affect characters from other series, and the “If Shovel Knight can’t get in, Shantae can’t either” seems like it’s just an attempt to grasp at straws.

Staarih

Smash Master

Yeah, I'd like to see that as well. But if not straight up in her reveal, he tends to comment on the characters in his Famitsu columns (like he did with Simon and K. Rool) + the Smash blog updates with at least a little tidbit, so I'm sure we'll hear something at some point from Sakurai regarding Shantae's (possible) inclusion.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
"Shantae can't get in because SK is only an assist trophy" is one of the dumbest arguments I've seen against a character.

If anything, SK's assist trophy only increases her chances.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
It kinda surprises me that people seem to jump on to the "No Shantae" bandwagon, seeing as she's mostly harmless. BUT IT JUST MAKES ME HOPE SHE GETS IN MORE! AAAAAA!!!!!

I guess a lot of people don't know she has that history with Nintendo, or enough staying power to have a bit of popularity even today, and a series that has continued to have additions to it.
Someone in that thread said that a lot of people's choices for indies in Smash are based on recency, too, and I think there's some truth behind that. At least with some picks. (Not saying it wouldn't be cool to get 'em in tho)

Honestly, I'd love a little history thing if/when Shantae gets in, showing how she works, where she came from, etc. It makes sense considering Smash has had a lot of "What date did this character's first game come out on" in the Wii U thing. It could work as a "Where she's from, why she's deserving, what she brings to the table." which would be neat and at least people who would be like "WHO?" would get a short lesson on her!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It kinda surprises me that people seem to jump on to the "No Shantae" bandwagon, seeing as she's mostly harmless. BUT IT JUST MAKES ME HOPE SHE GETS IN MORE! AAAAAA!!!!!

I guess a lot of people don't know she has that history with Nintendo, or enough staying power to have a bit of popularity even today, and a series that has continued to have additions to it.
Someone in that thread said that a lot of people's choices for indies in Smash are based on recency, too, and I think there's some truth behind that. At least with some picks. (Not saying it wouldn't be cool to get 'em in tho)

Honestly, I'd love a little history thing if/when Shantae gets in, showing how she works, where she came from, etc. It makes sense considering Smash has had a lot of "What date did this character's first game come out on" in the Wii U thing. It could work as a "Where she's from, why she's deserving, what she brings to the table." which would be neat and at least people who would be like "WHO?" would get a short lesson on her!
A memory segment on the website for the first Shantae would be likely. And an inclusion in Smash would be the "Ultimate" example of going from a (relative) nobody to the world's foremost indie lady. Not everyone had the luxury of hitting the ground running on their first entry.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I guess some of you want to try to dispel some of the thoughts going against shantae, is that what I'm getting here?
I don't think we need to convince others to change their bandwagonny thoughts, because people will have to adjust if she's in anyway. Really what can you do, when the arguments are unreasonable?
I'm not saying there aren't ways to help people understand, but can you honestly tell me there's times where you've managed to change someone's mind on stuff like this? Or maybe some of you are still venting about people thinking those ways against shantae, which I get, and don't let me stop you from getting it out if that's what you need. :p

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I wake up and see we've not only broken 100 pages but 4,000 posts as well! This is too surreal considering where we were not even a month ago.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm of the mind that even if a character you don't like or care for makes it into Smash, it's an opportunity to develop them into something you may eventually like more. That's how I feel about Geno, anyway.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
For the life of me, I don't think I can understand why Geno is so popular. However, I'm not opposed to him being a fighter. I want to know what all the hooplah is all about, because when I played Mario RPG, I just couldn't click into the game (though I did reach the Axem Rangers), unlike something like Superstar Saga. And from all the people singing Geno's praises, it makes me feel that he's overrated, though that could also be applied to shantae from outside here

Teeb147

Smash Legend
For the life of me, I don't think I can understand why Geno is so popular. However, I'm not opposed to him being a fighter. I want to know what all the hooplah is all about, because when I played Mario RPG, I just couldn't click into the game (though I did reach the Axem Rangers), unlike something like Superstar Saga. And from all the people singing Geno's praises, it makes me feel that he's overrated, though that could also be applied to shantae from outside here
When I first played it, Geno felt like a minor character to me, and now the reason I like him is because he's a rep for the game, and it was an amazing game, really good for introducing people to the rpg genre. It innovated quite a bit and did things no other game did at the time. Its fanbase endured a long time, and it probably wouldn't have if not for the fans coming together for getting him into smash. It's that support itself that kept it going throughout the years, even if geno didn't show up after it.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
At first I'm like, hmmm, yes, this is a solid argument.
Let's have a look at the other third parties :

• Cloud : Face of Rpg
  • Ryu : Face of fighting games
  • pacman : face of arcade
  • Megaman : One of the most popular plateformer
  • Snake : Face of infitration
  • Simon Belmont : One of the co namers of the Metroidvania sub genre
  • Sonic : Sega's mascott, rival to Mario
  • Bayonetta : Some what of a special case with the Ballot, tho these days she's nearly a Nintendo character
None of these characters had a need for a popularity push, why would we be getting a third party to make it popular ?. ["The character must carry game history with them] (https://sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/), said Sakurai on third parties in the past, which is not the case for Shantae and characters of her caliber. They are no names next to the other third parties.

Beside, characters picked for a popularity push aren't many and are always first party.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9cgej9/i_dont_see_shantae_making_it_in/
But Geno was seriously considered for Brawl. Argument negated. :awesome:

I'm of the mind that even if a character you don't like or care for makes it into Smash, it's an opportunity to develop them more into something you may eventually like more. That's how I feel about Geno, anyway.
Yeah, like Pit and the rest of the Kid Icarus characters.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think this is best answered by the video "Why Geno" made by papageno. It's very well done and it's a good look at the history of Geno speculation.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I'm sorry, but if you're pushing Shovel Knight as the "deserving" indie rep, you can't put up an argument about needing game history. Shovel Knight has ONE GAME. It may have expansions, but it's only one game. And if you want to count those as games of their own, then Shantae STILL has more games than Shovel Knight because of all the expansions for HGH.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
The game was great for it's time, but I feel that every other Mario RPG, whether it be Paper or Mario & Luigi, have it outclassed. Geno specifically was as bland a character as they come. He just didn't fit in well with the humourous atmosphere. Even the villains were kind of funny with their weapon designs and quirks.

Even so, I still would not be opposed to seeing more of him because I'm fairly confident more could be done with him if he made more appearances. His main issue is just being too "safe" in characterization.

When I first played it, Geno felt like a minor character to me, and now the reason I like him is because he's a rep for the game, and it was an amazing game, really good for introducing people to the rpg genre. It innovated quite a bit and did things no other game did at the time. Its fanbase endured a long time, and it probably wouldn't have if not for the fans coming together for getting him into smash. It's that support itself that kept it going throughout the years, even if geno didn't show up after it.
It's between Geno and Mallow for a Seven Stars rep. But no one likes Mallow.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Current progress report on the infographic. Nothings final, just blocking some stuff out rn and editing a crap ton of images. Going to work soon so I won't be able to get back to working on it until around midnight. How does it feel?:

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Current progress report on the infographic. Nothings final, just blocking some stuff out rn and editing a crap ton of images. Going to work soon so I won't be able to get back to working on it until around midnight. How does it feel?:
...bloody hell, veodok, that shantae in those clothing is nothing short of beauty

Though on a more serious note, I'm sorry I'm just being a negative nancy with Geno. I know he's a good character with a cool moveskill coming from one of the best RPG Game creators at that time, coming out on one of THE best video game consoles of all time. I'm just sick of everyone going over to Geno as if he was nothing short of a godly being, while a lot of characters, regardless of creed and place in history, has some potential to get in over him.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I haven't kept up with a few pages, but daaang you went ham on this, it looks so good.. .and that's quite a pick of a picture for Shantae :D
Is it going to be about her for smash? are you going to make that clear? anyway, thumbs up veo :O

...bloody hell, veodok, that shantae in those clothing is nothing short of beauty

Though on a more serious note, I'm sorry I'm just being a negative nancy with Geno. I know he's a good character with a cool moveskill coming from one of the best RPG Game creators at that time, coming out on one of THE best video game consoles of all time. I'm just sick of everyone going over to Geno as if he was nothing short of a godly being, while a lot of characters, regardless of creed and place in history, has some potential to get in over him.
Sarkurai said he's wanted Geno in since Brawl, that's why he's put up so high. And I don't blame people who do, that's one of the strongest statements you can get. Doesn't mean it prevents other characters from getting in. So, I say let Geno slide in, and then we'll see what comes next :)

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
I haven't kept up with a few pages, but daaang you went ham on this, it looks so good..
I just think we need something really presentable and pretty to show other people. It needs to look really well done. Thank you so much!

Is it going to be about her for smash? are you going to make that clear?
Yes and yes.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
One thing I’ve noticed with Shantae’s VA is that she has been in quite a few Nintendo-related roles since the Ballot ended, including Pokémon Genrations, FE Heroes, Echoes, Three Houses, Sushi Striker and Warioware Gold.

The two that stand out most to me are Three Houses and Warioware.

In FETH, she’s gotten the role of Edelgard, which, from the looks of it, is a major role, comparable to that of Xander and Ryoma.
In Warioware gold, she voices 5-Volt and 13-Amp, who, interestingly enough, are the only two female characters who fit into the 9-Volt sub-plot, which is based around Nintendo Crossovers.

So one thing I’m wondering is wether or not Nintendo got Cristina to voice act for Smash, and decided to use her for other characters since they had her closeby (that and the Warioware part looks pretty fishy).
Veodok Veodok sorry if this counts as double posting, but I have some possible evidence about Cristina Vee that I feel got overlooked when I originally posted it that might be useful for your infographic. (After looking it over, it’s also worth noting that for Sushi Striker, she voiced the female protagonist)

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Wayforward has been suspiciously quiet about Shantae and Smash haven’t they? Bozon also recently followed Sakurai on Twitter so I’m beginning to wonder if she’s in the game or not. I feel it’s beginning to feel like a possibility.

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
Veodok Veodok sorry if this counts as double posting, but I have some possible evidence about Cristina Vee that I feel got overlooked when I originally posted it that might be useful for your infographic. (After looking it over, it’s also worth noting that for Sushi Striker, she voiced the female protagonist)
Noted. Ill see if I can get it in somewhere where it feels natural.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, tomorrow is the 4th of September. Not really expecting the Shantae conception year number theory to come true, but we'll see what happens.

Of all the community invented rules, requirements, etc, slots are by far the one I hate the worst.
I get the concept, each character takes time and that's time that can't be used on another character, but if there's a character Sakurai wants in, and they are doable, they will go in, especially in a world where Nintendo has embraced DLC, so if a character's development time runs to long, their chances don't become zero.
What's more, even in the cases that "slots" have been shown to exist (ie Greninja, Robin) it's been very specific criteria.
The idea that two completely unrelated in either game or gameplay characters would be competing for a spot is just silly.
If anyone would be stealing a slot, it's Waluigi, and even then Sakurai is clearly not making it easy for him. :p

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
wh
Well, tomorrow is the 4th of September. Not really expecting the Shantae conception year number theory to come true, but we'll see what happens.

If anyone would be stealing a slot, it's Waluigi, and even then Sakurai is clearly not making it easy for him. :p
what was that again? the 94 theory?

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
what was that again? the 94 theory?
I didn't know at that point that '94 was the year Shantae was essentially created. And so I suggested the outlandish possibility that, since September 4th was 94 days away from Smash Ultimate's release, she could have been revealed then in a direct.

But of course seeing as how we don't have a direct announced, it's not going to happen either way.

Last edited:

Bestgalaredigital

Smash Rookie
For me, the main rival for Shantae in smash never was Shovel Knight... But Quote. This guy is another serious indies contender.

Quote is a really iconic character from the indie scene... Cave story is quite historic, one of the first indie game who popularise the retro pixel art etc...
Game has some exclusive version release on various nintendo system. This game represent something huge... and also, Quote has some good mooves with all his weapon.

If an indie character has or had to be playable in smash, its Shantae or Quote, no one else.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
For me, the main rival for Shantae in smash never was Shovel Knight... But Quote. This guy is another serious indies contender.
If an indie character has or had to be playable in smash, its Shantae or Quote, no one else.
Oh! I actually forgot about Quote! Yeah, he seems to be one of the few Indies that can really challenge Shantae at this point.

Top Bottom