• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I will say...just saw another fake leak that had Shantae...but as an Assist Trophy. Pretty sure it's fake cause anyone who claims to have datamined the game but only lists "Pokemon from Sun & Moon" and not which Pokemon that is is a filthy liar. Still...hate the idea of such a potentially creative character being reduced to just hair whipping as an AT.
What I’m really worried about is that she wouldn’t even be a unique AT, but a copy of Sable Prince. They both transform into animals, and Sable Prince isnt confirmed yet. All Sakurai would need to do is replace the Prince with the Genie, the Frog with the Monkey, and the Snake with the Crab.

And also, listing "Pokemon from Sun & Moon" doesn’t mean anything, since Greninja was listed as “Pokémon from X & Y”

Edit: But yeah; all leaks not from Vergeben, Loz18 or an accident at Nintendo are fake until proven real.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I will say...just saw another fake leak that had Shantae...but as an Assist Trophy. Pretty sure it's fake cause anyone who claims to have datamined the game but only lists "Pokemon from Sun & Moon" and not which Pokemon that is is a filthy liar. Still...hate the idea of such a potentially creative character being reduced to just hair whipping as an AT.
And if she is an assist trophy, why not show her right after Shovel Knight to show off the two indie characters at once? Why drag this out when they know the demand is there for Shantae to be playable and not have her potential wasted as a trophy?

The sheer amount of "leaks" speaks volumes about their lack of validity alone.
The fact that so few of them can collaborate what they're saying should also tell you how credible they are.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
If Shantae does get revealed in a direct, who would you guys hope she be revealed with? Or just a solo reveal of her? Maybe even pulling off a King K. Rool shocker reveal?
I feel she'd end up with a solo reveal, while the other trailer would reveal two characters, the two characters I could see working best together for a trailer would be Geno and Skull Kid given they both have a "lost woods" theme to play off of for the trailer.

What I’m really worried about is that she wouldn’t even be a unique AT, but a copy of Sable Prince. They both transform into animals, and Sable Prince isnt confirmed yet. All Sakurai would need to do is replace the Prince with the Genie, the Frog with the Monkey, and the Snake with the Crab.

And also, listing "Pokemon from Sun & Moon" doesn’t mean anything, since Greninja was listed as “Pokémon from X & Y”
Sable Prince is an interesting point of conversation actually. as much as it'd hurt, I could see them upgrade Sable Prince to a playable character, and relegate Shantae to an assist trophy. the only flaw there though is that they're looking more at fan favorites this time around, and Sable Prince (at least from what I've seen) hasn't had much vocal support. perhaps they intend to reveal him (as an AT or a alongside Shantae as they both have that animal transformation niche?

as for the Pokemon bit, it's important to note how the leak was presented. if they say it was a datamine, it doesn't correlate with Greninja's naming convention for the X/Y leak, as that leak was from a source and not a datamine.

either way, I'm not really paying much attention to leaks outside of determining whose "popular," otherwise it's much safer to assume them all as fake.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Sable Prince
He doesn't seem to be better than Takamaru in that he is Japan only. On which Sakurai's reply was on the level of "lol no".

Which has a higher possibility…The Mysterious Murasame Castle getting another entry in it’s series, or Takamaru joining the fight in the next Smash Brothers?​
Both are extremely unlikely (dang).​
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/04/10/smash-reader-response-page-25-beam-sword-takamaru/
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/03/22/mewtwo-dlc-takamaru-and-sakurais-nico-nico-appearance/
At the same time Sable manages to step on both Isaac's and Shantae's toes while being extremely unlikely so into the trash he goes. :warioc:

Last edited:

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
That's good to know, though some exceptions I see would be Lucas, Marth and Roy (Melee), but those exceptions are also from popular games or franchises, so i guess it works in that regard. either way, it just eliminates a possible competitor. though I can still see them saving Sable's AT to be shown in Shantae's trailer.

also i can see why he'd urk Shantae due to the transforming, but why Issac?

A1Again

Smash Cadet
Edit: But yeah; all leaks not from Vergeben, Loz18 or an accident at Nintendo are fake until proven real.
And this is the problem. ALL leaks, no matter who they are from, are false because not even they have predicted everything they've put out 100%. Believing them wholly and completely will only set yourself up for disappointment when they get something wrong.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
And this is the problem. ALL leaks, no matter who they are from, are false because not even they have predicted everything they've put out 100%. Believing them wholly and completely will only set yourself up for disappointment when they get something wrong.
They are super fun to speculate about though, gotta admit. But, I too, hold them up pretty high if they're consistant. Thats my fault, but if you're getting "lucky guesses" more times than you're wrong, I'm willing to believe. I ain't praising you as God, but I'll keep an eye out.

Yo. Off topic, I had a shower thought. What if SSBU was able to Crossplay with Microsoft, since we're all buddy-buddy now? Like, SSBU comes out on Switch, AND Xbox, and we get to Crossplay online? With friends? I think that'd be awesome.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
They are super fun to speculate about though, gotta admit. But, I too, hold them up pretty high if they're consistant. Thats my fault, but if you're getting "lucky guesses" more times than you're wrong, I'm willing to believe. I ain't praising you as God, but I'll keep an eye out.

Yo. Off topic, I had a shower thought. What if SSBU was able to Crossplay with Microsoft, since we're all buddy-buddy now? Like, SSBU comes out on Switch, AND Xbox, and we get to Crossplay online? With friends? I think that'd be awesome.
Wouldn't happen.

They may allow crossplay on 3rd party titles and Minecraft (Mojang is run kind of like the Pokemon Company is in Nintendo in that it gets special treatment) but the two will keep their exclusives just that.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Wow if they show Shantae as an A.T. and Prince Sable as the transforming fighter, my heart would break apart.
And if she is an assist trophy, why not show her right after Shovel Knight to show off the two indie characters at once? Why drag this out when they know the demand is there for Shantae to be playable and not have her potential wasted as a trophy?
This.
They are super fun to speculate about though, gotta admit.
This time around they're getting debunked in less than 10 mins lul leaves no time to speculate about them

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I think all of Vergeben’s leaks should be taken with a grain of salt, because even if he did get some things right, we have yet to see anything Minecraft related, and he is blandly saying Square character and pokemon from sun and moon that isn’t Lycanroc, Decidueye, or Mimikyu, which goes to show he’s just an attention hog with a few lucky guesses and is just trying to blandly predict what the final roster will look like. (he obviously was piggybacking off the leaks that came before him that were right.)

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I think all of Vergeben’s leaks should be taken with a grain of salt, because even if he did get some things right, we have yet to see anything Minecraft related, and he is blandly saying Square character and pokemon from sun and moon that isn’t Lycanroc, Decidueye, or Mimikyu, which goes to show he’s just an attention hog with a few lucky guesses and is just trying to blandly predict what the final roster will look like. (he obviously was piggybacking off the leaks that came before him that were right.)
So much this. He's gotten just as much wrong as he has right, and yet the Smash community is treating his word as gospel. I don't trust the guy at all and I find him to be incredibly sketchy, especially with his Pokemon prediction. We might not even get a new Pokemon in the base roster this time.

Even if you do believe him, he's said nothing about Shantae, so he probably doesn't know about her at all which I suspect is true with these other "leakers".

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Verge also had a source that said there would be no new Donkey Kong characters before King K.Rool's reveal so nobody should take his word as gospel

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Vergeben might also discreetly be one of Shantae's haters, refusing to include her in any of his "findings". Quite frankly, I prefer that he doesn't mention her because he would most likely just resort to blindly labeling her as an Assist Trophy anyway.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Thanks. I guess the only close one is NYC... but I hate driving into the city... may skip this.

Well first off I doubt we are only getting 1 more per direct. We have gotten 2 new fighters last time, and I am sure if those 2 leakers were right they don't know everyone. Verg has never said shes not in either.

Plus Dante was confirmed not in from capcom itself. that's a fake leak. Plus no way Capcom is getting another rep thats not an echo.

And nothing about this was even slightly noteworthy?

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I would not be surprised if Verg is trolling us at this point as he knows how quick people are to believe him. The fact that he's been wrong and can't get into specifics is why I find him so shady and dishonest. It's probably a good thing that he hasn't mentioned Shantae yet.

zferolie

Smash Hero

And nothing about this was even slightly noteworthy?
I think Sakurai is only adding that as a boss for story, plus and AT. Monster hunter is huge, but the most reconizable characters in it are the monsters themselves. no way he can shrink Rathalos down to be playable.

We have seen Bomberman being made an AT, makes sense for a Monster hunter rep to only be an assist. But because it fit so well Sakurai made it a boss for Story mode.

And before you say it gets a stage, that stage is clearly a story mode only one. flat empty plan, no platforms, nothing but rathalos. Pretty sure he's just a story mode boss.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Since people were mentioning Sable Prince above, I think it would be in poor form for Sakurai to make him playable and Shantae an assist trophy. We know he's using the Ballot, and I doubt that Sable came in the top 20. Shantae is far more popular, relevant, and I think she'd be a much more expressive and unique character that more people are asking for. I know Sakurai is unpredictable, but I don't think he would add a character so few people are asking for in a game all about fan service.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Question for all of you guys personally.

Who are all your current mains?

Second Question.

Are you a casual player or a competitive player? And if you're a competitive, would you consider taking Shantae to tournaments if she's mid to high tier?

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice

Second Question.

Are you a casual player or a competitive player? And if you're a competitive, would you consider taking Shantae to tournaments if she's mid to high tier?
Ike was my Brawl main while Little Mac was my Smash 4 main.

I am much more of a casual player since to me that's always been the core of this series personally.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Second Question.

Not fussy on mains, though I mostly gravitate towards Luigi, Peach and whoever else that seems the most fun to use.

I'm more of a casual, although granted I never got to fight other players much at all before 4 happened.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice

Second Question.

I'm assuming we're talking for Smash 4 and not who we're thinking will be our mains in Ultimate, but my current main is Bowser, though i dabble in others for less favorable matchups.

I've mostly been a Casual player, but have only recently been trying out being competitive by attending events, and It'd depend on if i feel comfortable using her. usually if I don't feel like I understand a character right away, I gravitate away from them. so here's hoping Shantae suits me should she get in.

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice

Second Question.

Currently it's Villager.

Mostly casual, but looking to get slightly more competitive with Ultimate, at least in the local scene.
And heck yeah! If she is in and she and Inkling are even remotely playable, Shantae/Inkling two trick right here.
And if they're not very competetive same deal, I'll just lose a lot earlier.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

Second Question.

I rather enjoy playing as Lucas and I am a more casual player.

Calane

Smash Ace
Since people were mentioning Sable Prince above, I think it would be in poor form for Sakurai to make him playable and Shantae an assist trophy. We know he's using the Ballot, and I doubt that Sable came in the top 20. Shantae is far more popular, relevant, and I think she'd be a much more expressive and unique character that more people are asking for. I know Sakurai is unpredictable, but I don't think he would add a character so few people are asking for in a game all about fan service.
I don't know, I'd actually love to see Sakurai pull out a surprise character like Prince Sable. Not only do I love the idea of reviving old Nintendo characters in Smash, but I think that the prince and his game really have what it takes to stand out from the current roster (even if Shantae was in it). I mean, I believe his only two transformations are a frog and snake, and I don't think Shantae has ever transformed into either of those as of yet. Not only that, but Prince Sable also has the whole cartoon "fight cloud" thing and a sword, so I don't see him clashing with Shantae much at all.

I don't think he's very likely (unfortunately), but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing both him and Shantae make it in. They really don't have much in common besides the whole transformation thing (even though Shantae has far more and none of them overlap with Prince Sable), so I don't really see a problem with including them both if Prince Sable were to make it by some miracle.

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone think they'll use a majority of music from Pirate's Curse with half from Risky's Revenge and only some from the latest one or do you think they'll split it 50/50 between tracks representing 1/2 Genie Hero and Pirate's Curse.

If so then these three from each game are an absolute must for me.

Pirate's Curse:
Steamworks
Back to Roots
Rave in the Grave

Half Genie Hero:
Risky's Song
Counterfeit Mermaids
Cape Crustacean

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I don't know, I'd actually love to see Sakurai pull out a surprise character like Prince Sable. Not only do I love the idea of reviving old Nintendo characters in Smash, but I think that the prince and his game really have what it takes to stand out from the current roster (even if Shantae was in it). I mean, I believe his only two transformations are a frog and snake, and I don't think Shantae has ever transformed into either of those as of yet. Not only that, but Prince Sable also has the whole cartoon "fight cloud" thing and a sword, so I don't see him clashing with Shantae much at all.

I don't think he's very likely (unfortunately), but I definitely wouldn't mind seeing both him and Shantae make it in. They really don't have much in common besides the whole transformation thing (even though Shantae has far more and none of them overlap with Prince Sable), so I don't really see a problem with including them both if Prince Sable were to make it by some miracle.
I just have a sinking feeling that Sakurai would pick him over Shantae, and I would much rather have Shantae than Sable. Then again, we do have over a dozen sword fighters, so why not two characters who can do transformations?

zferolie

Smash Hero

Second Question.

I had a few mains. Yoshi was my main since the first game. Actually won some local tournies with him in high school and college. After that I guess I also started maining Zero suit Samus, Peach, and Zelda.

I am more casual now, since I don't have anyone around me to play regularly.

I think there are 5 Retro Characters that have the highest chance of getting in (And I am sure we are getting a retro, Sakurai always puts one in.) Those are

1. Lip
2. Mach Rider
3. Ayumi
4. Prince Sable
5. Donbe and Hikari

Lip because she is still the only character in the game with an item representing her with no character assigned to it. Mach Rider and Ayumi were both considered by Sakurai in the past, and Prince Sable because he is still a missing AT. Donbe and Hikari has had music since brawl and I personally want them the most. Any one of those have a good shot.

And I doubt if Prince is in it hurts Shantae's. They have different types of transformations, and everything else plays much differently.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I feel that logic doesn’t work, since during Smash 4, people were expecting something to top Cloud, but ended up with Corrin and Bayo.
Cloud will never be topped, unless we get like Goku or something which is never happening. But Bayo was still a big deal and a new franchise to be represented, and considering there are still plenty of highly requested 3rd parties that could be in, making something huge for a final reveal involving a new franchise sounds very possible.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Cloud will never be topped, unless we get like Goku or something which is never happening. But Bayo was still a big deal and a new franchise to be represented, and considering there are still plenty of highly requested 3rd parties that could be in, making something huge for a final reveal involving a new franchise sounds very possible.
I think one way to top Cloud, besides the obvious bear and bird, is to bring in a third party that people like, but has been practically dead for ages to the point that they got less support than Banjo-Kazooie. You never know what might happen in the end, at least as far as DLC goes.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I've always had two characters placed upon the most hype chart as far as 3rd parties.

Banjo-Kazooie and Sora

Shantae would of course be the most hype for me but those two would cause an eruption in the Earth's core.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Anyone else feel this song would fit Shantae's reveal to the Smash community perfectly since a lot (a good chunk of us included ) wouln't see it coming?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFVj0Z6ahcI
just the overall tone and lyrics fit her inclusion.

Also to answer things recently said I'm a casual player but I've won against tourney players at my college when I was still going there.

Current Mains are WFT, Sonic, Lucina, and Pikachu

zferolie

Smash Hero
I've always had two characters placed upon the most hype chart as far as 3rd parties.

Banjo-Kazooie and Sora

Shantae would of course be the most hype for me but those two would cause an eruption in the Earth's core.
Sora has no chance thanks to disney. look how much they meddled in MvCI, it would be a nightmare for him in smash.

I got you:
Nice.

Phoebee

Smash Cadet
I had a few mains. Yoshi was my main since the first game. Actually won some local tournies with him in high school and college. After that I guess I also started maining Zero suit Samus, Peach, and Zelda.

I am more casual now, since I don't have anyone around me to play regularly.

I think there are 5 Retro Characters that have the highest chance of getting in (And I am sure we are getting a retro, Sakurai always puts one in.) Those are

1. Lip
2. Mach Rider
3. Ayumi
4. Prince Sable
5. Donbe and Hikari

Lip because she is still the only character in the game with an item representing her with no character assigned to it. Mach Rider and Ayumi were both considered by Sakurai in the past, and Prince Sable because he is still a missing AT. Donbe and Hikari has had music since brawl and I personally want them the most. Any one of those have a good shot.

And I doubt if Prince is in it hurts Shantae's. They have different types of transformations, and everything else plays much differently.
I think if anything it sort of increases her chances. Maybe they didn't want a character AND assist trophy who turn into animals like that to attack. Would be pretty sad for Sable Prince if that were the case, but still.

Oh, and I'd like to be added as a supporter, s'il vous plait.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, if this game really does have a heroes vs villains theme, I wonder what Shantae would think of the individual villains? Quite a few of the villains in the roster are not the sort of evil she usually deals with, so it's interesting to think about.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
You know, if this game really does have a heroes vs villains theme, I wonder what Shantae would think of the individual villains? Quite a few of the villains in the roster are not the sort of evil she usually deals with, so it's interesting to think about.
Well, I dunno. Sure many of the Barons aren't exactly super threatening, but Risky is a pretty big threat. And there's the Pirate King. Sure, they're not in the same realm of destruction as Ganondorf, but I think they could stand aside the likes of Bowser and K. Rool.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
She'd probably find Bowser kinda familiar in a way. She can fight her villains one day and then just have a chat with them or invite them to a slumber party the next day, much like in one game Mario could be fighting Bowser to save Peach, and in another he's go-karting with the guy or playing tennis with him.

Same with Dedede. He's basically a baron. Penguin Baron!

Last edited:
Top Bottom