• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Im surpriseed that we have yet to had a trophy reveal like how we did during Smash 4. Methinks Shantae isnt a trophy and isnt an AT.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Just in case, I wanted to correct myself here because I misread it. It's actually the 18th when Undertale will be out.
Undertale will be an amazing game to have portable.

Well tons of Indies are, that's pretty much why they are thriving so much on the Switch

SimonferSmash

Smash Apprentice
This might be silly of me to ask but do we know for sure how well Shantae did in the official ballot?

Like compared to those who seemingly did incredibly well such as K Rool, Issac, and B-K?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
This might be silly of me to ask but do we know for sure how well Shantae did in the official ballot?

Like compared to those who seemingly did incredibly well such as K Rool, Issac, and B-K?
The best we have is the 40k votes sample at the time. It's been shared around. She's #5 now with everyone revealed.
And it's still not clear how they all actually did.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
You know what would be funny (and what would never happen)? If Sakurai appeared in a direct wearing pajamas. WayForward potential nods to Smash Brothers in Jammies mode, then Smash Brothers potential nod to WayForward's Jammies mode in HGH through Sakurai wearing pajamas.

But then again, that pillow...

Nah, couldn't be...

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

All I know is I voted for her. I hope she at least gets some representation. Still would prefer playable, but I guess I could live with her as an AT.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
You know what would be funny (and what would never happen)? If Sakurai appeared in a direct wearing pajamas. WayForward potential nods to Smash Brothers in Jammies mode, then Smash Brothers potential nod to WayForward's Jammies mode in HGH through Sakurai wearing pajamas.

But then again, that pillow...

Nah, couldn't be...
that pillow?

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I wouldn't take background stuff as too much of a hint.

Unless it's a freaking GENIE LAMP or something like that.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I was making a joke in reference to over-analyzing the background of Sakurai's office in Smash Ultimate directs. The E3 direct was jungle-themed. The 8/8 direct had two peculiar chairs (purple / yellow) on the right and a red/(black or purple?) pillow on a futon on the left.
Yeah those chairs particularly stand out way too much to not be another hint.

But while I wish it was Shantae, I am definitely 100% on the Skull Kid side of the speculation for that one.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah those chairs particularly stand out way too much to not be another hint.

But while I wish it was Shantae, I am definitely 100% on the Skull Kid side of the speculation for that one.
It's not going to be something other than speculation, no matter how many people think the connections make sense, for whatever reason they hop on.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

As others have said, we don't. We don't even know if Isaac and Banjo-Kazooie did well at all. I have a feeling Isaac didn't do as well as people want to believe he did considering he didn't even get a Mii costume. We only know for sure that K. Rool did well because Sakurai said so.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
As others have said, we don't. We don't even know if Isaac and Banjo-Kazooie did well at all. I have a feeling Isaac didn't do as well as people want to believe he did considering he didn't even get a Mii costume. We only know for sure that K. Rool did well because Sakurai said so.
Yeah it was so weird to not see Isaac get even such an obvious easy Swordfighter skin.

That on top of him just being COMPLETELY removed in the transition from Brawl to Smash 4, I wonder if there is actually just an internal issue with him at Nintendo we don't know about.

A1Again

Smash Cadet
Yeah it was so weird to not see Isaac get even such an obvious easy Swordfighter skin.

That on top of him just being COMPLETELY removed in the transition from Brawl to Smash 4, I wonder if there is actually just an internal issue with him at Nintendo we don't know about.
I remember hearing something along the lines of the creators behind Golden Sun actually don't want a revival of the series, but I can't seem to remember where I read that...

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I remember hearing something along the lines of the creators behind Golden Sun actually don't want a revival of the series, but I can't seem to remember where I read that...
Yeah I refuse to believe Isaac didn't score extremely high on the ballot.

I should think he would be in the top picks for a new fighter, but if he doesn't even get so much as an AT revival, then I am basically going to interpret that as a silent confirmation that either Camelot or Nintendo are purposefully trying to make him forgotten.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Of commonly speculated characters, Bandana Dee didn't get a costume, Shadow didn't get one, Skull Kid's "skin" was just Majora's Mask on the Link costume, and Ashley got one but she's not playable.

It seems more likely to me that not every character who performed well didn't get a Mii costume simply because Sakurai didn't want to make Ultimate's newcomers predictable once the first few started to trickle out. You could just look at the costumes and deduce who might be next. Remember that he has put an emphasis on stamping out leaks and maintaining surprises for this game, so going to such measures wouldn't be beyond him.

Nothing so far seems to truly imply Isaac and Banjo didn't do well. Is it possible the small sample size of voters is misleading and their fanbases stop there? Sure, but K. Rool almost always topped those same polls (and when he didn't, Isaac or Banjo were marginally ahead of him) and he's playable.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
They said if there is enough demand it would naturally lead into the development of the fourth game, they never expressed disinterest from what I know. Temple of Bask in Mario Tennis Aces is called Sol Sanctum in the Japanese version so they are still calling back to it and they even said that special shots were inspired by the critical attack unleashes using artifact weapons in Golden Sun

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
And that’s why I think the character is dead. He didn’t even get a basic trophy. I don’t think the ballot went how we all think it went. I mean, it’s obvious that K. Rool got first, just look at how many people have been pushing in that regard, especially when Ridley was seemingly out of the running, + the fact that Sakurai hasn’t given us a dk character in a decade, which also only happened due to extreme popularity. I somehow think Isaac is out, and is gone from Nintendo for good.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
The suspense on this entire WayForward/Shantae playable in Smash has become poisonous to my mind; the majority of my dreams get consumed by her lately.

I'd rather them say she's not in if she isn't (hopefully that is not the case), but because of the inconspicuous vibes they've been giving means that she has a shot, DLC or not, I'll keep my optimism up, but not full-throttle hype.

I've also been wondering if Sakurai and the other devs even know such support groups like these even exist?

Last edited:

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
Also keep in mind that official ballot results were never published. The ballot results and charts we have are based on data collected by polls hosted on sites like this and 4chan while the actual ballot was anonymously held on Nintendo's site. The casual/general gaming audience is likely to vote for much different characters. Even though characters like Isaac and Shantae did well on our polls it's possible those characters are a bit too obscure for general gamers.

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
The suspense on this entire WayForward/Shantae playable in Smash has become poisonous to my mind; the majority of my dreams get consumed by her lately.

I'd rather them say she's not in if she isn't (hopefully that is not the case), but because of the inconspicuous vibes they've been giving means that she has a shot, DLC or not, I'll keep my optimism up, but not full-throttle hype.

I've also been wondering if Sakurai and the other devs even know such support groups like these even exist?
I don't know if he specifically monitors gamefaqs or smashboards(I think it would be incredibly smart if they had someone who did) Sakurai did briefly mention the Waluigi meme fallout after E3 and has said he enjoys watching reaction videos to smash reveals. He's even retweeted Etika and some other reactions before. Also, I personally think the chairs in the background were actually just there to poke fun at Waluigi even though people think it is a reference to Skull Kid because of the oriental pillow.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
That oriental pillow seems more like Shantae to me, but you’re right, people are taking it way too far when it probably is just Sakurai trolling waluigi. Also people saying the chairs point to skull kid need to remember: Shantae has far more prominent yellow and purple coloration.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I don't know if he specifically monitors gamefaqs or smashboards(I think it would be incredibly smart if they had someone who did) Sakurai did briefly mention the Waluigi meme fallout after E3 and has said he enjoys watching reaction videos to smash reveals. He's even retweeted Etika and some other reactions before. Also, I personally think the chairs in the background were actually just there to poke fun at Waluigi even though people think it is a reference to Skull Kid because of the oriental pillow.
Where'd he mention the Waluigi thing?

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
He didn't mention it directly, but Reggie mentioned in an interview in June I think that Sakurai is aware of it and that it's ultimately his decision to make.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Those last couple pages were a ride. BIG NEWS! Wait no...

I guess the big problem is just the wait. The wait! There's a couple neat games coming out over the next couple months tho, so that'll help.

I do enjoy the overanalysis of the background though! The cushions, man! The chairs! Hopefully Shantae either did well in the ballot, or by the time they start making DLC Nintendo sees some of the demand for Shantae. I just want Shantae in there ;~;

Last edited:

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
I think it's much more likely she's in as an AT if at all but I'm crossing my fingers regardless.

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
Those last couple pages were a ride. BIG NEWS! Wait no...

I guess the big problem is just the wait. The wait! There's a couple neat games coming out over the next couple months tho, so that'll help.

I do enjoy the overanalysis of the background though! The cushions, man! The chairs! Hopefully Shantae either did well in the ballot, or by the time they start making DLC Nintendo sees some of the demand for Shantae. I just want Shantae in there ;~;
It's funny - this will be the shortest wait we've had until the release of a Smash game, yet it somehow seems like a bigger wait! Not knowing when the next announcement is and how many characters will be revealed. It's too much!

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I'm also convinced that if she's not in the base roster, she's DLC.

And I still can't get over how WayForward has been acting so out of character recently. Their silence and non-answers doesn't sound like them at all. I'd honesty rather they tell us that she wasn't in than go through this song and dance. This also seems like so much effort to cover up for an assist trophy.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm also convinced that if she's not in the base roster, she's DLC.

And I still can't get over how WayForward has been acting so out of character recently. Their silence and non-answers doesn't sound like them at all. I'd honesty rather they tell us that she wasn't in than go through this song and dance. This also seems like so much effort to cover up for an assist trophy.
Without a doubt, I’m convinced of one of these things:
1. She’s in as a fighter on the base roster (best scenario)
2. Assist Trophy (Why go through all this just for an assist? I don’t believe Yacht Club did the same with Shovel Knight though obviously they were under an NDA.)
3. Nothing Whatsoever (plz no... though DLC is a thing)

Top Bottom