• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I would hope that they haven't been grieving for over 3 years. Sometimes the happiest people are the most depressed ones.

Edit: Oh, also, call it a conspiracy theory, but do you figure that there originally was going to be an announcement for Smash, but they cut it out at the last minute since it wasn't ready yet? It would explain why they awkwardly finished the Nindies stream with yet another indie game.
They've been great, having fun at picnics, don't you know? ;p

-
I'm not sure what people need for the wait, but I would just say, love patience.. or live your life, w/e you need to do to stop limboing yourself :p

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I just found this on the #shantae twitter, and I feel like it is a great gif to have in this thread since we do so much speculating(The animation might not show up on this post, so go to the source itself if that's the case).
This is me (over)thinking about all the evidence towards Shantae’s inclusion in Smash.

I love it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They've been great, having fun at picnics, don't you know? ;p

-
I'm not sure what people need for the wait, but I would just say, love patience.. or live your life, w/e you need to do to stop limboing yourself :p
I've been playing games and taking walks outside, most people here could use that. Besides, I would prefer the reveals to happen in actual Directs.

Also, it would be good to keep bombshell announcements once per month, otherwise it'd be overkill. :4pacman:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I found the gif for Nova's animation, here you go.

What is going on with WF an nintendo? hmm....

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I've never actually played any of Shantae's games but the thought of an indie character making it into Smash is just so crazy that I just can't help myself from rooting for the underdog, especially one with a solid history with Nintendo. I'll be genuinely mindblown if she gets in even as an Assist trophy but you know what? I'd like to be signed up as a supporter anyways!

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
I would hope that they haven't been grieving for over 3 years. Sometimes the happiest people are the most depressed ones.

Edit: Oh, also, call it a conspiracy theory, but do you figure that there originally was going to be an announcement for Smash, but they cut it out at the last minute since it wasn't ready yet? It would explain why they awkwardly finished the Nindies stream with yet another indie game.
Probably Nintendo just trolling fans especially when people are thirsty for Smash info.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So generally speaking, how have people reacted to the direct on social sites? Hopefully people are not going overboard.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
From what I seen, people attacking Shantae fans. A lot of people agreeing that a Smash surprise behind this direct was a long shot. Basically the normal mill from what I seen.
I mean, it's not like too many people here expected anything. I know that does not speak for all the fans, but still.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I mean, it's not like too many people here expected anything. I know that does not speak for all the fans, but still.
Emphasis on "here" at SmashBoards, not YouTube or Twitch. From what I heard the chat was a toxic mess of people screaming and spamming SMASH WHEN and REVEAL SHANTAE ALREADY which definitely soured peoples opinions on her a little bit when all they were there for was to hear Nintendo indie news.

EDIT: Nobody was really hating on Shantae herself mind you, just Smash fans for being annoying and intrusive.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
And you shouldn't trust that one either. As far as we know, thousands of voters choose Balloon Fighter, and refused to answer any polls on principle.

As for the next direct, I'm betting it's 09/09.
That’s a point I didn’t think of, glad you brought it up. Collecting data from random internet polls and throwing it in one place always skews results one way or another, especially when it always features exclusively out of nowhere characters like paper mario, who I hadn’t heard for smash until this year. I don’t think I ever saw anything about him in 2015 or 16.
Also, might I ask why specifically the 9th? Is that a significant day? I suppose it does have that out of the blue randomness that directs usually are seeming to have...

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
That’s a point I didn’t think of, glad you brought it up. Collecting data from random internet polls and throwing it in one place always skews results one way or another, especially when it always features exclusively out of nowhere characters like paper mario, who I hadn’t heard for smash until this year. I don’t think I ever saw anything about him in 2015 or 16.
Also, might I ask why specifically the 9th? Is that a significant day? I suppose it does have that out of the blue randomness that directs usually are seeming to have...
Last direct was 08/08. I think they'll do 09/09 just to keep up the theme.

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Anyone have any suggestions to help distract me from Shantae and Smash for a few weeks? I need some time to recuperate after all of this hype and speculation XD

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, if Ultimate has something similar to the adventure mode from Melee and has a stage inspired by the Shantae games, what do you think that stage would be like? Stuff like local, enemies, or even the potential for a boss like Dracula and Rathalos.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, if Ultimate has something similar to the adventure mode from Melee and has a stage inspired by the Shantae games, what do you think that stage would be like? Stuff like local, enemies, or even the potential for a boss like Dracula and Rathalos.
Most likely a scrolling Scuttle Town with Tinkerbats and Risky in her Tinker Tub or whatever as the boss.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Waiting for the next direct and knowing that it will most likely be a mainstream direct featuring little to no smash gives me anxiety. Probably will just feature more dickish teases like this nindie direct did. I actually died inside when they said one more announcement, and it wasn’t Shantae, or anything from Wayforward in general.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Waiting for the next direct and knowing that it will most likely be a mainstream direct featuring little to no smash gives me anxiety. Probably will just feature more dickish teases like this nindie direct did. I actually died inside when they said one more announcement, and it wasn’t Shantae, or anything from Wayforward in general.
any mainstream direct from now till December WILL have at least an at the end Smash Reveal.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Yeah, mainstream directs are a much bigger deal.

You should definitely expect at least one reveal at the very end of them. No reason to get overly pessimistic. xD

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
But I just want them to cover all those juicy solo modes, like all star or maybe even the return of target smash. The hype is basically killing me. We’re back up at almost a month with no new info, so hopefully something happens with one of my top ten soon at the very least (shouldn’t be that hard, they are all recognizable outside Ashley, who was dc’d but I’m still hoping for DLC).

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think mid-september to mid-october should have a direct, so it's just waiting and speculating until then ;p

Anyone have any suggestions to help distract me from Shantae and Smash for a few weeks? I need some time to recuperate after all of this hype and speculation XD
Games, books, sleep, music, fresh air, clouds.. I dunno, there's a good bunch of life that's not related, right? maybe I'm wrong on that one. maybe you can't escape shantae and smash, sorry. :D

I might take the time to meditate or something. XD

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
But I just want them to cover all those juicy solo modes, like all star or maybe even the return of target smash. The hype is basically killing me. We’re back up at almost a month with no new info, so hopefully something happens with one of my top ten soon at the very least (shouldn’t be that hard, they are all recognizable outside Ashley, who was dc’d but I’m still hoping for DLC).
Unfortunately I wouldn't expect info about that until October at the earliest.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
I think mid-september to mid-october should have a direct, so it's just waiting and speculating until then ;p
I think we're getting a normal Direct on October and a final Smash Direct on either late-November or early-December, just a few days before release

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace
So since Direct predictions are being discussed I decided to some calculated guesses to when the next one will be. I'm gonna say a Direct is gonna happen either on September 5th or 12th. Mostly because Nintendo have had a habit this year to release Directs during the mid week. (I think they actually have a reason for it, that being since it's in the middle of the week, all the gaming websites and such have good time to report on it, and include it in a week wrap up kind of segment.) I also looked into when the next Smash focused Direct should take place, and I narrowed it done to most likely exactly on November 7th. I looked back on the 50 fact extravaganza Direct and saw that that it aired on October 23rd. Almost exactly a month before Smash Wii U. November 7th happens to line up very well with a lot of things. It's in the middle of the week and it's exactly one month before Ultimate is released. I'm not saying 100% FOR SURE HAPPENING THEN but it's more of a good estimated date than anything. I turned into Charlie Day in the mail room there for a bit, oof. Anyway, yeah, that's what I "figured out."

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Actually, going back to the Nindies Showcase:

Have any of the previous Nindies Showcases/Directs ever done anything like a "one more thing" announcement?

I can't imagine they would do this to troll Smash fans if there wasn't an actual Indie character in Smash.

If this one more thing business has been done in a Nindie Direct before though, then it doesn't matter.

D

Deleted member

...aaaaaaand, the hype has died down. (when I began typing this, I was the only one here) Granted, since today was a BIG day for the thread, and since everyone had to catch up on like 10 pages last night, maybe a well-earned day of rest could be beneficial. Who knows?

Beyond what Teeb said, maybe if that's too hard for you to just put it all behind you at once, you could try working your way slowly outward, piece by piece. Maybe start by playing some non-Shantae WayForward games, then move out to other video games, then things involving a screen, then just general hands-on activities... you get the idea. ;P And hopefully in that process, you find something to take your mind off this thread enough to where you don't lose any sleep. XD

(Cuz if we miss a night of sleep, it'll throw off the next day of deep interrogation)

D

Deleted member

Have any of the previous Nindies Showcases/Directs ever done anything like a "one more thing" announcement?

I can't imagine they would do this to troll Smash fans if there wasn't an actual Indie character in Smash.

If this one more thing business has been done in a Nindie Direct before though, then it doesn't matter.
Doing a quick check of all three other Nindie Showcases, and the Indie Highlights reel, I didn't see anything of the sort.

In the first of these, since it was a new genre of Nintendo Direct, it would be logical to reveal everything initially, and since they were already overloaded with indie games, no "One More Thing" there.

In the other two NDNS's, they did reserve select games for last, but they would say "And we have one last game to show you," typically because it would be the biggest and best game.

The Indie Highlights obviously had nothing interesting. And fast-forward to this Direct, where again they were much more cramped with indies, and...

I can't really take too much away from him "forgetting one very important announcement," since it would be extremely out of character for Sakurai, WayForward, or anybody else tied to them to purposefully have a clue like this in the Nindies Direct and not announce at least something... Although it is definitely a weird move regardless.

Especially since Hyper Light Drifter is the far bigger game, and it would've made more sense to swap it around with Into The Breach, to save what would actually be the biggest reveal for later.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Doing a quick check of all three other Nindie Showcases, and the Indie Highlights reel, I didn't see anything of the sort.

In the first of these, since it was a new genre of Nintendo Direct, it would be logical to reveal everything initially, and since they were already overloaded with indie games, no "One More Thing" there.

In the other two NDNS's, they did reserve select games for last, but they would say "And we have one last game to show you," typically because it would be the biggest and best game.

The Indie Highlights obviously had nothing interesting. And fast-forward to this Direct, where again they were much more cramped with indies, and...

I can't really take too much away from him "forgetting one very important announcement," since it would be extremely out of character for Sakurai, WayForward, or anybody else tied to them to purposefully have a clue like this in the Nindies Direct and not announce at least something... Although it is definitely a weird move regardless.

Especially since Hyper Light Drifter is the far bigger game, and it would've made more sense to swap it around with Into The Breach, to save what would actually be the biggest reveal for later.
Yeah the whole thing really was just strangely put together. I guess the weirdness of it is what made me suspicious, but it's probably just a rushed Direct due to PAX, like many said yesterday.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824

It was definitively a reference of the character announcements from previous Directs.
I feel like they were hinting at something... Could it be..?

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
How would you guys feel if all we had left for smash info was given in a two hour direct mid November?

D

Deleted member

How would you guys feel if all we had left for smash info was given in a two hour direct mid November?
Really great, actually. Sure, it may kill the hype of waiting for reveals, but not only would there still be the hype of the full release date (which GREATLY overpowers other hype), but it'd take off the vast stress of wondering what's coming to Ultimate, and I could peacefully spend my time doing other productive tasks...

It most definitely won't happen, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I feel like we're probably getting 1-2 regular Nintendo directs between now and December, along with 1 more Smash direct (obviously to detail the "Spirits" mode).

I think it's possible to get 1 newcomer for each general Nintendo direct, and then maybe another 2 for the last Smash direct. I'm not sure about echos, though. We're bound to get a few in the Smash direct at the very least. If Smash has a small segment in either of the general Nintendo directs, maybe we could also get like 1-2 echos in them. However, I'm not certain.

According to the stage selection screen, there's room for 6 more stages (or 5 plus a potential DLC button). I think it's safe to assume that not every newcomer will come with a stage (especially after Ridley and K. Rool), and therefore there's a pretty good chance that some remaining stages will not be tied to newcomer franchises. We might get 1-2 "wildcard" stages like Pictochat, or maybe some new stages from pre-existing franchises.

All-in-all, I'd say somewhere between 3-5 newcomers and 5-8 echos have yet to be revealed. Here's to hoping Shantae's one of those 3-5 newcomers.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
It's not the first nor will it be the last. Even if she is confirmed, there will be some sort of fan backlash. Can't please everyone.
And then Sakurai did the single impossible thing in gaming: please everyone by giving every character that isn’t a joke and has been requested decently a spot on the roster by the end of dlc.
According to the stage selection screen, there's room for 6 more stages (or 5 plus a potential DLC button). I think it's safe to assume that not every newcomer will come with a stage (especially after Ridley and K. Rool), and therefore there's a pretty good chance that some remaining stages will not be tied to newcomer franchises. We might get 1-2 "wildcard" stages like Pictochat, or maybe some stages from pre-existing franchises.
I’m calling it now, we’re getting Gangplank Galleon for dlc due to extremely popular demand.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Do any of you see us getting new ATs revealed in a direct, outside of being part of a series from a new 3rd party rep?

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
Do any of you see us getting new ATs revealed in a direct, outside of being part of a series from a new 3rd party rep?
I think there's a really good chance they'll have another segment for items/assist trophies in the next Smash direct specifically (especially ATs). But I could be wrong. I mean, what if we've seen every single AT in the game? That'd be kinda weird TBH, given that we're still a fair bit out from December...

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Nope. Doubt we’ll being seeing any first party ATs in a general direct, but think that if the at has enough to do with the character, it could be revealed alongside it, example being if Kat&Ana show up, Ashley would finally be formally announced.

Top Bottom