• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
It's not too different from the big one that most people treat almost like exit polls for the time of the ballot.
And you shouldn't trust that one either. As far as we know, thousands of voters choose Balloon Fighter, and refused to answer any polls on principle.

As for the next direct, I'm betting it's 09/09.

Last edited:

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
It's weird seeing Paper Mario that high. I rarely see any threads or support of him on other sites but he's really that high? He wasn't anywhere to be found during the ballot in 2015.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's weird seeing Paper Mario that high. I rarely see any threads or support of him on other sites but he's really that high? He wasn't anywhere to be found during the ballot in 2015.
It's possible that it was a passing popularity, since the game was re-released again in 2015 on VC.
I don't see that much support either for him. Doesn't mean not a contender, but I'd put him lower at this point.

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
That's made out of random polls on the internet, and only one of those polls was directed towards japan audiences. I wouldn't rely on it too much.
In Shantae's case it's pretty good since the monster's share of her support comes from the West anyway. Also, 40k+ votes is a pretty good sample size. Even accounting for cross-over support, you're looking at a few thousand votes and that's still a good sample. It's also a good sign for her that she consistently ranks in the upper crust of votes cast when examining several different polls. It indicates that she has a lot of widespread visibility and a highly proactive base of support.

True that it's not the ballot itself or a guarantee but I can't imagine the exit polling and ballot voting would see such a huge disparity. I severely doubt the presence of some "silent majority" for a character that hasn't been brought to light yet and even if there was one, this game will have multiple newcomers.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
That graphic is made out of polls from different times, including when nobody knew Cloud would be in. Now everyone assumes Paper Mario has no chance, cause all his fans supposedly jumped ship and changed their vote to Geno. No evidence of this, just assumptions and group-think. But don't let that stop you from thinking a side-character is more important than Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger and Paper Mario combined, Geno fans!

Jrhall2

Smash Rookie
Well: if anyone wishes to be added to the supporter list, be it new people or old ones I may of missed, do let me know!
I'd love to be added as a Shantae supporter! She's been my dream character for Smash since the ballot!

My heart did a little leap at the "one more thing" announcement too, but I'll stay hopeful going forward!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nindies towards Smash fans in a nutshell:

Even having a Quote reveal would have been better than this, but at least Dragon: Marked For Death has a release date now.

I watched the video on Youtube, so I did not see the chat, thank goodness.
Same.

That bit at the end was so pointless though, is Into the Breach that popular to merit a "one more thing"?

At any rate, I hope the week ends already, if only so we can know if next month has any direct at all, given there's a rumor for one on the 12th.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just saw the gameplay for the new SK multiplayer mode. Look's pretty fun and I will be glad to play as some of the other knights. I doubt there will be any guest appearences though:laugh:. It does make me wonder what would happen if Shantae tried something similar.

Staarih

Smash Master
I just saw the gameplay for the new SK multiplayer mode. Look's pretty fun and I will be glad to play as some of the other knights. I doubt there will be any guest appearences though:laugh:. It does make me wonder what would happen if Shantae tried something similar.
That does look cool! We may not have gotten Shovel Knight in Smash, but we got Smash in Shovel Knight - kind of!

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
Just another debate topic to be thrown in there, but in light of the Nindies Direct logically not featuring Smash, where/when do you guys think Shantae is most likely to be announced, excluding a Smash Direct?

(For example, since Half-Genie Hero was initially released on Sept. 30, 2016, could that be a likely reveal date?)
Generally how they do reveal trailers, at least for Brawl/Smash 4 is that they reveal all the obvious and most anticipated characters first and then the kind of wild/unexpected characters get revealed last. While Shantae ranked ~5th according to polls on places like smashboards/4chan/gamefaqs during the ballot in 2015 she was pretty much nonexistent in Japan. IF Shantae gets in she'll probably be near the end since I feel like outside of the western smash community she is a pretty unknown character. She'd get revealed in a way similar to Shulk, Pac-man, megaman etc.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
I'd love to be added as a Shantae supporter! She's been my dream character for Smash since the ballot!

My heart did a little leap at the "one more thing" announcement too, but I'll stay hopeful going forward!
You request has been granted as well.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Generally how the do reveal trailers, at least for Brawl/Smash 4 is that they reveal all the obvious and most anticipated characters first and then the kind of wild/unexpected characters get revealed last. While Shantae ranked ~5th according to polls on places like smashboards/4chan/gamefaqs during the ballot in 2015 she was pretty much nonexistent in Japan. IF Shantae gets in she'll probably be near the end since I feel like outside of the western smash community she is a pretty unknown character. She'd get revealed in a way similar to Shulk, Pac-man, megaman etc.
Actually, while yes back in the day she was relatively unknown outside the west, since then she has made her way to Japan and has become a very popular Indie character, even more so than SK, who also got translated over there. I also heard from this thread that Korea is trying to get the game translated, but I might have misrembered that.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
"haha! people actually thought there was going to be a smash announcement in a nindies direct?! "

Yet 99% of poeple just in this thread alone only gave the chances of it happening between 0-15%
People like being condescending.
You see it in politics, super hero debates, forums, etc.

It's ubiquitous, so it's become boring. Terribly boring. End my suffering. :crying:

At least we have Goose game.

Up Tilt: Flip Kick(without the air flip, just the first part)
I think the whole moved with the airflip would be good. We don't really have too many multi hit up tilts. I'd like it to be so that each time you press A you get another hit out sort of like neutral jab but for up tilt. There could be a lot of mix ups like that.

Nair: Twirl Attack. Shantae twirls in the air.

It looks like it might have a small hit box and lag so maybe add wind-box and invisibility frames.

Up Smash: Storm Puff. Shantae Raises a hand during the charge, and then makes a storm puff appear slightly above her(about half her body height above her), which then shoots down lightning onto shantae, which spooks her a bit, making her jump back slightly. The puff ball and lightning strike abover her are the hitbox and damaging part. The damage is strong and has a high hitbox, but long ending lag due to her getting spooked.

View attachment 157967
And when she’s charging her up smash she could be looking up at the cloud like “huh, what’s going on?”
Maybe after 10 uses she looks up suspiciously. HMMMMM THAT CLOUD IS UP to SOMETHING.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
That graphic is made out of polls from different times, including when nobody knew Cloud would be in. Now everyone assumes Paper Mario has no chance, cause all his fans supposedly jumped ship and changed their vote to Geno. No evidence of this, just assumptions and group-think. But don't let that stop you from thinking a side-character is more important than Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger and Paper Mario combined, Geno fans!
I agree that the data isn't perfect, but it's clear that Sakurai caters to the votes. especially with he latest news on that, and characters that received mii fighter outfits are indications of which ones were popular and have good chances of making in. Geno is one of those.

Generally how they do reveal trailers, at least for Brawl/Smash 4 is that they reveal all the obvious and most anticipated characters first and then the kind of wild/unexpected characters get revealed last. While Shantae ranked ~5th according to polls on places like smashboards/4chan/gamefaqs during the ballot in 2015 she was pretty much nonexistent in Japan. IF Shantae gets in she'll probably be near the end since I feel like outside of the western smash community she is a pretty unknown character. She'd get revealed in a way similar to Shulk, Pac-man, megaman etc.
Actually, the poll data included Japan a decent amount. There's even joke characters that were popular at the time, namely Magnemite was high on there, and that was a japanese joke character. Also, Bandana Dee is much more popular in japan than here, even if it grew here too.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
By the way, guys: if I end up being incredibly busy starting on September 10th and beyond due to going back to school then and potentially being much busier then before, would a few of you mind gathering up any future supporters that come on in? Once I get the time, I'll be sure to add them, but that's how I'd favor the process going.

Again, this is only for future reference: I can still handle adding new supporters for right now.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
A theory I have is all this teasing and silence fron WF is their way of helping her get into Smash. If they just deconfirmed her then that just shuts down the conversation on her.

So don't be upset with WF if there hints lead to nothing.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
A theory I have is all this teasing and silence fron WF is their way of helping her get into Smash. If they just deconfirmed her then that just shuts down the conversation on her.
It's been said many times, but Wayforward is not that kind of developer, and I doubt they would try to do that when there previous way of showing support was so out in the open and enthusiastic.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

So don't be upset with WF if there hints lead to nothing.
I had a thought like that too, but it was just a musing. I wouldn't take a business to actually do something weird like that.

btw, has anyone seen a colored version of this animation? it's pretty good:

Jrhall2

Smash Rookie
It's likely just a coincidence of what the news channels look like right now and probably doesn't mean anything, but did you all notice the Smash channel when they announced the dedicated news page for indies...???

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I had a thought like that too, but it was just a musing. I wouldn't take a business to actually do something weird like that.

I've seen a particular user in Sprites Inc. use a colorized sprite version of that as an avatar at some point.

Before anyone asks, said user is a big Shantae fan.

Last edited:

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
It's likely just a coincidence of what the news channels look like right now and probably doesn't mean anything, but did you all notice the Smash channel when they announced the dedicated news page for indies...???
It was just showing the 8.8 Direct. Same icon has been on my switch since then.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
As for the next direct, I'm betting it's 09/09.
Considering that is my birthday, a direct confirming Shantae then would be the greatest birthday present I'd have gotten in years

I remember downloading a colored version awhile back, lemme see if I can attach it.

Attachments

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I really like finding animated sprites. Does it show?

If someone knows a good site that has a lot of them let me know plz :D
I'll check out the spriters resrouce sometime for starters.

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97

Well, there's a YouTube video of the animation in color set to Dance Through the Danger.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Though I'm thinking, with the Ballot we were all worried that Shantae would have to be held back due to 3DS limitations. Now the Switch can handle it no problem would you like to see Shantae's moveset revolve around transformations?

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Watched the Nindies direct, partly hoping for a surprise Shantae reveal or information on the final Shovel Knight expansion. Disappointing, but expected. The "one more thing" really got me for a second.

Still hopeful for Shantae, if somewhat less optimistic. I think at worst she'll be in as an AT, but here's hoping for playable.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And with that the viewership is coming back down to more normal range lol.

Let's just look forward to the smash directs, probably one in september/october.
:shyguy:

Wondering who's actually going to be next.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
god this "Limbo" Shantae is in regarding Smash suuuucks.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I just found this on the #shantae twitter, and I feel like it is a great gif to have in this thread since we do so much speculating(The animation might not show up on this post, so go to the source itself if that's the case).

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
god this "Limbo" Shantae is in regarding Smash suuuucks.
Haha, yeah. I'd almost feel relieved if Wayforward just came out and said she wasn't in. At least it wouldn't be in the back of my mind constantly.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Haha, yeah. I'd almost feel relieved if Wayforward just came out and said she wasn't in. At least it wouldn't be in the back of my mind constantly.
I would hope that they haven't been grieving for over 3 years. Sometimes the happiest people are the most depressed ones.

Edit: Oh, also, call it a conspiracy theory, but do you figure that there originally was going to be an announcement for Smash, but they cut it out at the last minute since it wasn't ready yet? It would explain why they awkwardly finished the Nindies stream with yet another indie game.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Just remember that I am also a Shantae supporter so incase my name isn't on the list then please add me.

This Nindies Direct was fine for the most part at least.

Top Bottom