• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah it may be pushing it i admit. Most likely Risky is going to be a stage boss or someone in the adventure mode

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Saying Risky could be a 1:1 clone of Shantae is like saying Dr. Mario actually deserves to be more than just an echo of Mario. (Especially now that we’ve seen that Chrom borrows from both Roy, technically Marth, but whatever, and Ike, having his aether recovery) Literally all Dr Mario has that Mario doesn’t is Luigi’s down special.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Overall it would kinda depend on how they approach Shantae’s moveset to begin with. Even if her moveset is more based off the Pirate gear, there’s so much more to consider aside from that to make Risky viable. Nega Shantae would make sense, but what could be done to make her different enough to justify making it as an echo?

Personally I don’t think Shantae really needs an echo fighter, I’m not opposed to the idea but I’d rather the devs focus on making her moveset unique rather than holding back her potential just to make room for another character. Her alone is more than enough to represent the series.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
i think the one thing echo fighters are not allowed to have is different normals. every animation for their normal attacks are going to have the same hitbox or hurtbox. whenever they differ from this, they're no longer an echo as they now differ from their base moveset.

Special moves can be different as proven by Chrom, but regarding jabs, tilts, smashes, and aerials. all animation hitboxes are nearly identical. which is why i think Dr. Mario and even Pichu are not considered to be Echo fighters. Dr. Mario has already shown he has a new Dair, and I imagine Pichu will be retaining his Nair, which Pikachu traded in for his new one.

Edit: this said, i don't think any character can Echo Shantae except for Nega Shantae, and personally i feel she'd be better suited for an alternate costume.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I think there's enough dark versions of characters already. Unless one is pretty popular, I think it's better to look at other options lol.

Maybe in the future where making versions is effortless, we could have some of everything with everybody.
Dr.Shantae?? ...

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Saying Risky could be a 1:1 clone of Shantae is like saying Dr. Mario actually deserves to be more than just an echo of Mario. (Especially now that we’ve seen that Chrom borrows from both Roy, technically Marth, but whatever, and Ike, having his aether recovery) Literally all Dr Mario has that Mario doesn’t is Luigi’s down special.
*Ahem* And his new Docter Stomp D-Air.

Anyway, the only possible echo that Shantae could get is Nega Shantae, but it's very unlikely... I don't really see Shantae coming in with a second playable character.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Hey, if other indies were to appear and get the Shovel Knight treatment as an assist trophy, what indies would you guys want to see?
As far as other WF characters go, I think Alta from Mighty Flip Champs would be an interesting one. Maybe she can turn the stage upside down or something?

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
*Ahem* And his new Docter Stomp D-Air.

Anyway, the only possible echo that Shantae could get is Nega Shantae, but it's very unlikely... I don't really see Shantae coming in with a second playable character.
Yeah, honestly just hoping that we can get Shantae first and foremost.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Honestly I can't believe how surreal this all feels. The only character I've ever been this invested in when it comes to campaigning for Smash was Mega Man, and I missed Nintendo's E3 the year he was revealed so that was disappointing. Every time I think about how exponentially the support for Shantae is growing in recent days it makes me realize just how real and possible this all could be. I went from Shantae just being wishful thinking straight to "holy s*** this is actually a legitimate possibility" and that's crazy. I think I'm gonna take the next couple of days off to calm down and recuperate before the indie showcase.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Honestly.... I have a feeling that we may get more then Shantae during the Nindies direct. Not playable, but other trophies and AT of other Indie characters. Like a Runbow one, Patrica wagon, and some others that I am just pulling a blank on atm. Then that leads into the Shantae announcment trailer.

Like at the end of the direct they say they have a special Guest, and Sakurai appears, saying that they want to honor Indie creators, as they are shaping the gaming world so much, and Shovel Knight was just the first.. So we Get a short trailer showing them off. The guy that was just a trophy in Smash 4 is now an Assist trophy, Reimu Hakurei is an Assist trophy(I consider ZUN and touhou an Indie, and probably japan's biggest Indie), Curly Brace from Cave Story, Sans from Undertale(Gets the old Mr. Resetti AT effect, seems fitting for Undertale honestly), and ending with Patrica Wagon(also been mostly on nintendo systems first). However, as that ends, Sakurai says he wants to give us 1 more thing... and trailer starts.

Its the open sea, and Young link is sleeping on his boat. Suddenly a cannon ball splashes near him, waking him up. He jults up and looks and sees a port town being attacked by what seems like pirates. He quickly sails in, and makes land fall, and sees the Arab style town is being attacked by Kremlings and Space pirates. He jumps in and starts fighting them off, but soon he is overwhelmed. Surrounded he's about to do a spin slash when a small purple dash flies from of screen and slams into the face of one of the pirates. It then zips back and forth knocking a few of them away before stopping, shoing to be a purple monkey. It waves, then a puff of smoke invelops it. When it clears the monkey is gone replaced, as we see as the camera pans up, is shantae. The splash screan says Shantae is Ret-2-go, then she whips her hair towards a stunned space pirate, and then it cuts to gameplay and her stage, Scuttle town. And the end of the trailer after the title drops, it goes back to Shantae and Young Link shaking hands, when suddenly a Laugh is heard, "Ohohoho, I knew those pirates were useless," As tinkerbats start to Surround the two and the Camera pans out, showing the bakc Of Risky Boots, standing over them and surronded by more Tinkerbats(hinting her to be a stage boss like with Metal Face in Shulks trailer). Then the trailer ends with Shantae being added to the art piece.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
We'll be lucky if we get Shantae. I highly doubt we'll get any echo of her.

Honestly.... I have a feeling that we may get more then Shantae during the Nindies direct. Not playable, but other trophies and AT of other Indie characters. Like a Runbow one, Patrica wagon, and some others that I am just pulling a blank on atm. Then that leads into the Shantae announcment trailer.

Like at the end of the direct they say they have a special Guest, and Sakurai appears, saying that they want to honor Indie creators, as they are shaping the gaming world so much, and Shovel Knight was just the first.. So we Get a short trailer showing them off. The guy that was just a trophy in Smash 4 is now an Assist trophy, Reimu Hakurei is an Assist trophy(I consider ZUN and touhou an Indie, and probably japan's biggest Indie), Curly Brace from Cave Story, Sans from Undertale(Gets the old Mr. Resetti AT effect, seems fitting for Undertale honestly), and ending with Patrica Wagon(also been mostly on nintendo systems first). However, as that ends, Sakurai says he wants to give us 1 more thing... and trailer starts.

Its the open sea, and Young link is sleeping on his boat. Suddenly a cannon ball splashes near him, waking him up. He jults up and looks and sees a port town being attacked by what seems like pirates. He quickly sails in, and makes land fall, and sees the Arab style town is being attacked by Kremlings and Space pirates. He jumps in and starts fighting them off, but soon he is overwhelmed. Surrounded he's about to do a spin slash when a small purple dash flies from of screen and slams into the face of one of the pirates. It then zips back and forth knocking a few of them away before stopping, shoing to be a purple monkey. It waves, then a puff of smoke invelops it. When it clears the monkey is gone replaced, as we see as the camera pans up, is shantae. The splash screan says Shantae is Ret-2-go, then she whips her hair towards a stunned space pirate, and then it cuts to gameplay and her stage, Scuttle town. And the end of the trailer after the title drops, it goes back to Shantae and Young Link shaking hands, when suddenly a Laugh is heard, "Ohohoho, I knew those pirates were useless," As tinkerbats start to Surround the two and the Camera pans out, showing the bakc Of Risky Boots, standing over them and surronded by more Tinkerbats(hinting her to be a stage boss like with Metal Face in Shulks trailer). Then the trailer ends with Shantae being added to the art piece.
I have to admit, that would be the perfect way to end the Direct. What better way for Nintendo to thank their Indie developers than by putting a popular Indie character in Smash?

Last edited:

Louisacommie

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to be on my commute to work on Tuesday during the direct. Need any smash announcement, got an avatar bets on resetera on the line

Teeb147

Smash Legend

You have a good imagination :)

Im not expecting too much from the nindies, but I like your take :colorful:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
We'll be lucky if we get Shantae. I highly doubt we'll get any echo of her.

I have to admit, that would be the perfect way to end the Direct. What better way for Nintendo to thank their Indie developers than by putting a popular Indie character in Smash?
I still think it would be amazing if Smash Ultimate had a Nindies section in the Trophy Gallery. Easily the best way to thank the smaller supporters, and it's not like they wouldn't love to be a part of Smash Bros.

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
So Alpha Stouland made another video and there's some good stuff in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaJwf1UOL6o

According to the video this graphic says she was the most requested on reddit in 2015 (In Japan I'm guessing? Does Japan have it's own reddit?)
This link is in japanese so i can't tell exactly what it says, can anybody translate? anyway you can tell that it's another indicator of her popularity being recognized in Japan.
www.0-amuzio.co.jp/games/shantae-pirates-curse/shantaetoha.html

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I still believe the Nindies direct is just going to be about indie games and nothing Smash related.

However, we could get cues beforehand if otherwise (i.e. Sakurai retweeting it or something like that--then we'd obviously be on high alert). Even in the case of not having clues, I won't deny the slim possibility something Smash-related might happen. I think it's only even possible because we're kind of deep into the cycle of Smash before its release. Smash Ultimate was "revealed" (more like "teased") on March 8th, and although the previous Nindies direct was on March 20th, Smash Ultimate wasn't even fully known by that point. We only had a teaser then. But now things are different post-E3.

Since this will likely be the last Nindies direct of the year, and given Smash Ultimate releases in December, this will likely be the only time we would ever see something Smash-related in a Nindies direct (barring possible DLC next year). And that's assuming if there's even something to be shown. In other words, the "timeline" makes some sense.

If not, then our next best bet is some kind of general Nintendo or Smash direct in September--which seems the general consensus. Of course at that point, we begin to run out of time before Smash Ultimate's release, and thus the number of remaining characters to be revealed begin to run out as well. DLC would always be on the table as an option, but we won't know for sure until some time after Ultimate's release. It's a somewhat-depressing thought, to be sure.

If Shantae is eventually confirmed not to be in Smash (playable or otherwise), I would quite like to see what WayForward would have to say. On the other hand, if she's an AT, their radio silence would unfortunately make sense.

Only time will tell. I feel like we're only going to feel more and more anxious the closer we get to Ultimate's release date.

Last edited:

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
I've been a supporter of Shantae since the Smash Ballot, she was the character I voted for if I recall correctly. Anyway, I came to this thread just to pledge my official support to this character, I feel like she has a high chance of being in the game.

I'm not certain she will be announced for the Nindies direct, I'm pretty adamant that there won't be smash news on it, but if we do see something, I'm almost betting it will involve Shantae being playable.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, when and if they have Shantae's reveal trailer, I hope they touch up on why she was chosen. And I'd love it if they quickly go over her history, because for an indie game character, it's pretty interesting and it would show her journey up to this point. I guess it'd also be quite important for those who don't know her or are against her.

Oh, and I've got a question for you guys just for fun:
If Shantae were to get in Smash and got her own Amiibo. What uses do you think this Amiibo would end up having outside of Smash in the future? Or what would you like to see?

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to see an amiibo be compatible with some future WayForward games on the Switch for some fun stuff like costumes. Actually, use it to give Link a Shantae outfit in Breath of the Wild :p

Also having Shantae's history talked about if/when she's announced would be neat, and she'd be the first playable indie rep and really it'd feel like a huge step for indies. Also it'd feel like Nintendo's really embracing their whole Nindies thing.

Staarih

Smash Master
If Shantae gets in Smash, I’d like the Japanese Smash blog to have a ”Today’s memory” (as they have for some characters) with Shantae’s GBC game - even if not released in Japan, it would give more insight as to where she has started.

And as for any possible amiibo support... I dunno, I think any future WayForward game could make use of it. As long as we get one in the first place I’d be happy: a great collectors item if nothing else!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Come on guys, I am disappointed. What about seeing Wario draw Shantae? If anyone can capture Shantae's image, it's Wario. Just look at this man's art skills.

Beautiful.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Honestly, the Nindies Direct is the best time to show her since she is such a big indie character, and it would be a great way for Nintendo to show them support.

However, if she's not confirmed as playable by Ultimate's release, then there's always DLC. I'm still on the side that she's probably not in the base roster, but would be a perfect DLC choice. Though I hope I'm proven wrong before December and she's in the base roster.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I think Sakurai would've retweeted the Nindie Tweet if there was going to be a playable character.

Or maybe not. Maybe he wants it to be a complete surprise. Only two days away so I guess we'll know very soon.

Staarih

Smash Master
I think Sakurai would've retweeted the Nindie Tweet if there was going to be a playable character.

Or maybe not. Maybe he wants it to be a complete surprise. Only two days away so I guess we'll know very soon.
He could retweet it closer to when it’s presented - I’m thinking the indie devs featured in the showcase would also retweet it closer to presentation as a reminder to watch it. But yeah, if all is silent from Sakurai and Japan in general, there likely won’t be anything Smash related there. That’s probably the mentality best to have when watching it anyway, not expecting much other than indie news.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Add me to the list! Even though my roster prediction would come to 4 different third party franchises; I still can't shake the feeling that she's likely, at least a little bit. Plus we need more Indie love!

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
So, what does that mean for speculation? Sure, he is now replying, but it's right before the indies direct as well as being after a long period of complete silence.
It likely doesn't mean anything to big. I'm sure he was just more focused on the art/animation than the word "Smash". They never reply to any "Smash" Tweet unless art is involved.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
It likely doesn't mean anything to big. I'm sure he was just more focused on the art/animation than the word "Smash". They never reply to any "Smash" Tweet unless art is involved.
I'd be careful in reading too much into it. This doesn't sound like anything that would break an NDA. He's known for replying to and sharing Shantae fan art.
Both true. Still, it makes me more anxious for the Nindies Direct. In all likelihood nothing Smash related will happen, but maybe Wayforward will show off something new?

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I've spent the last week elbow deep in Matt's Twitter. This is ther first time I've seen this happen. If it happened before I must of missed it

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So other than Shantae, what other Indies have even the slightest chance of getting in Smash? I mean trophy, Assist Trophy, playable (assuming there is a playable indie and its not Shantae)

I see Gunvolt, Sans, Reimu, Commander Video and Quote/Curly Brace. those are the only indies I see having any representation in Smash here besides her.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
I've spent the last week elbow deep in Matt's Twitter. This is ther first time I've seen this happen. If it happened before I must of missed it
I'm sorry! Not always replies. Sometimes it is just likes. WayForward and Matt liked a few artworks that featured the word Smash but never said anything about Smash specifically.

Their damn silence to saying Smash at all is so suspicious to me. If she's not in; just say it, y'know. Let us down easy.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So other than Shantae, what other Indies have even the slightest chance of getting in Smash? I mean trophy, Assist Trophy, playable (assuming there is a playable indie and its not Shantae)

I see Gunvolt, Sans, Reimu, Commander Video and Quote/Curly Brace. those are the only indies I see having any representation in Smash here besides her.
There are only 3 characters(Or I guess 4) that I can see as of now becoming playable at some point in the future. SK, Shantae, and Quote/Curly. A lot of the others I would bank on AT status or being a regular trophy.

Top Bottom