• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
It's not a certainty, just a theory. JamesPopStar on Twitter, a major dev at WayForward, uploaded an image back in 2015/16 that basically was a picture of him with Sakurai. We have no context from him as to when it was taken or where except for at the bottom of the tweet it tagged the location at Santa Clarita, CA. This only means that's where the photo was uploaded and not where it was taken.
https://twitter.com/JamesPopStar/status/650072302378315776
I believe this is misinformation (been discussed before in another thread). Unless anyone can provide a credible source that Sakurai met with Wayforward at some point.

I've listened to the 2 hour interview with James in 2016, and the 30 min one with james in 2017, and he holds Sakurai in high regard, so I think there is a good chance it really is just a photo for memories.
I see, well at least it tells us that they have met, though the timeframe of the tweet is both intriguing yet questionable (Tweet posted in October, first proposal for Ultimate was in December.) i'd say it was a random meeting for the photo given what's going on in the background and how casual the photo was taken. i'd expect a better taken photo if Sakurai actually visited WayForward.

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I see, well at least it tells us that they have met, though the timeframe of the tweet is both intriguing yet questionable (Tweet posted in October, first proposal for Ultimate was in December.) i'd say it was a random meeting for the photo given what's going on in the background and how casual the photo was taken. i'd expect a better taken photo if Sakurai actually visited WayForward.
Yeah and in the comments James says he knows nothing about the ballot, so we can assume that it wasn't a visit at all.

zferolie

Smash Hero
It could be from the past that photo. I thought they mentioned it was during the Pac man reveal. but could be wrong.

But boy, an HD remake of the first shantae game would be awesome.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I've always been skeptical of the James and Sakurai image.

I looked at it from as many angles as I could
Looking at official Nintendo events that could explain why hes in cali at the time.
(Nothing)

Looking though hundreds of pictures of Sakurai at live events in 2015 to see if i could find a picture of him wearing that shirt, Nothing on that front,

But the high back wall, more industrial doors and Exit sign scream Convention building to me, and I know WF guys tend to wear their WF shirts at conventions.

Haven't been able to prove it one way for another.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think I managed to find a pretty good Genie in a Bottle remix for victory purposes! :idea:

The hope is that they're doing a remake of the original GBC Shantae.

Pirate's Curse style or Half Genie Hero Style tho?
Yo please give me a Shantae HD collection of the first three games. I'd be so down for that.

Also WOOOO 2,000 POSTS
We'll see, don't they consider the original something of a masterpiece, warts and all, and don't feel the need to remake it?

I would be down for a HD remake of Xtreme Sports, though.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We'll see, don't they consider the original something of a masterpiece, warts and all, and don't feel the need to remake it?
Even if that's the case, I think it's in their best interest to do so, as the only way you can get it now is through 3DS VC and I'm not sure what the legalities on Game Boy Color Emulation are for other consoles.

zferolie

Smash Hero
We actually have Video of James in the audience for the Round table Pacman was announced. (Hes the dude in white talking)
https://youtu.be/BDsmjbifWUk?t=308

Both of them are wearing different clothes then in the picture.
Since I saw someone asking earlier what Shantae's victory music could be, I think the item get music from HGH could be a good candidate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj8aQ8KwJDo

Or the stage clear music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1mnA-_WjF0
Stage clear sounds like the perfect victory jingle.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Speaking of the Game Boy Color, what if we had a Duck-Hunt styled trailer featuring the other fighters in their Game Boy sprites (colors or no) visiting Shantae at her house?

My money for a victory jingle is on the boss clear theme for Pirate's Curse. The mid-air spinning for that game would be a nice victory animation too.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Speaking of the Game Boy Color, what if we had a Duck-Hunt styled trailer featuring the other fighters in their Game Boy sprites (colors or no) visiting Shantae at her house?

My money for a victory jingle is on the boss clear theme for Pirate's Curse. The mid-air spinning for that game would be a nice victory animation too.
I loved that trailer, it's my personal favorite of the Smash 4 ones, and I'd love to see a follow-up of sorts to it. Bonus points if they have DK use the '94 sprites.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Personally, the perfect trailer would involve some smashers fighting on a pirate ship. K Rool's cannonball gets knocked into the distance...

And all of a sudden, we get a recreation of the opening of the original Shantae.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There was also some talk of Final Smash speculation a little while back. Personally I'd have it be Friends To The End, where Sky, Bolo and Rottytops help Shantae deliver a beatdown. Obliteration Dance sounds really boring, whereas this one would help sell her super-friendly attitude.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
There was also some talk of Final Smash speculation a little while back. Personally I'd have it be Friends To The End, where Sky, Bolo and Rottytops help Shantae deliver a beatdown. Obliteration Dance sounds really boring, whereas this one would help sell her super-friendly attitude.
I prefer that as well, and it feels more like the perfect Final Smash for Shantae. She summons each of her friends to use their own attacks on her target.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Skull Kid, Sakurai is clearly aware of his popularity as he had to state that he wasn't a character in his AT reveal in 4, his assist trophy is suspiciously absent, Majora's Mask was a mii hat, Majora's Mask 3d came out around the time, and although he wasn't big on the ballot due to him being an AT, he has always been the most popular Zelda newcomer since Brawl.
By this logic, I could say Sceptile is just as likely as Skull Kid, being the most popular Pokémon newcomer since brawl (the only one that ever out-did him was Zoroark for a short time, and he’s already been deconfirmed). In fact, this arguement could’ve been used for Krystal or Waluigi as well if they weren’t deconfirmed.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I prefer that as well, and it feels more like the perfect Final Smash for Shantae. She summons each of her friends to use their own attacks on her target.
Real talk, her heart and positive attitude and the friendships she fosters because of them are low-key the biggest strengths she has. They've gotten her out of far more desperate scrapes than all of her magic, transformations, dances or acquired pirate tools ever did, namely giving her the light magic needed to defeat the Pirate Master, resisting point-blank dark magic corruption and saving the entire genie realm.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Shantae is a badass. She was on the front cover of a Nintendo Power magazine.

That automatically makes her one of the best.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
If the Smash devs are willing to make 3D models out of all her friends, then I certainly wouldn't mind that idea (were you thinking more along the lines of Robin's FS or Shulk's?) The FS idea I've currently decided on for her is that Shantae would transform into the mermaid to trap her opponents in bubbles which would gather into one, then all her main transformations from HGH (Mermaid, Crab, Bat, Mouse, Spider, Harpy, Monkey, and Tinkerbat) fly back and forth across the screen to attack the captured opponents, and finally she’d fly up off-screen to smash the opponents to the ground with the giant elephant and send them flying. (inspired by several attacks Shantae uses for her boss at the end of Pirate Queen’s Quest).

Though I recently had an idea for a cinematic one where it starts of the same with the mermaid transformation bubbling opponents, but instead they float into an underwater scene with Shantae still as a mermaid attacking the trapped characters alongside other mermaids and the Giga Mermaid comes out from behind and she shoots them with a laser coming from her gem, launching away her opponents.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If the Smash devs are willing to make 3D models out of all her friends, then I certainly wouldn't mind that idea (were you thinking more along the lines of Robin's FS or Shulk's?) The FS idea I've currently decided on for her is that Shantae would transform into the mermaid to trap her opponents in bubbles which would gather into one, then all her main transformations from HGH (Mermaid, Crab, Bat, Mouse, Spider, Harpy, Monkey, and Tinkerbat) fly back and forth across the screen to attack the captured opponents, and finally she’d fly up off-screen to smash the opponents to the ground with the giant elephant and send them flying. (inspired by several attacks Shantae uses for her boss at the end of Pirate Queen’s Quest).

Though I recently had an idea for a cinematic one where it starts of the same with the mermaid transformation bubbling opponents, but instead they float into an underwater scene with Shantae still as a mermaid attacking the trapped characters alongside other mermaids and the Giga Mermaid comes out from behind and she shoots them with a laser coming from her gem, launching away her opponents.
The thing is, I feel those are too laser-focused on one game. Shantae's friends have been there since the beginning, not to mention many of the transformations you mentioned are nonoffensive by default with optional attacks, and the Giga Mermaid is really a very minor character in the grand scheme of things.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Real talk, her heart and positive attitude and the friendships she fosters because of them are low-key the biggest strengths she has. They've gotten her out of far more desperate scrapes than all of her magic, transformations, dances or acquired pirate tools ever did, namely giving her the light magic needed to defeat the Pirate Master, resisting point-blank dark magic corruption and saving the entire genie realm.
I'm thinking the same. She can summon Rottytops, Sky, and Bolo to help her out in her Final Smash, similar to Shulk and Robin's Final Smashes.

That's of course if they had the time to create 3D models of them.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm thinking the same. She can summon Rottytops, Sky, and Bolo to help her out in her Final Smash, similar to Shulk and Robin's Final Smashes.

That's of course if they had the time to create 3D models of them.
If Shantae is playable, they will make 3D models of the Shantae cast for trophies regardless.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
That sounds like a perfect Final Smash to me. It'd be great to have her friends involved. It'll show that her friends are always there to support her even in the world of Smash.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Hey, if other indies were to appear and get the Shovel Knight treatment as an assist trophy, what indies would you guys want to see?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
The thing is, I feel those are too laser-focused on one game. Shantae's friends have been there since the beginning, not to mention many of the transformations you mentioned are nonoffensive by default with optional attacks, and the Giga Mermaid is really a very minor character in the grand scheme of things.
I was planning on having those transformations just tackle the opponents during that sequence like with Super Sonic, initially it was gonna be just the monkey in that part so it would only be the three transformations from Risky's Revenge for her Final Smash, but I wanted to put in the other transformations to add a bit more variety and show what all she could turn into. And 6 of the transformations I listed have been there since the first two games, so I wasn't really thinking it'd be that based off just on HGH aside from the designs (Admittedly I also wanted to incorporate the mermaid form somewhere since I couldn't find a place for it anywhere in my own moveset). The cinematic one I give you was a throwaway idea that I wanted to share.

It's just the idea I've settled on for now, but I'm still willing to make changes to it, especially since I've made a bunch of changes to my moveset ideas lately.

If Shantae is playable, they will make 3D models of the Shantae cast for trophies regardless.
There's also the possibility they could just pull the portrait art and place them on trophy stands (they've done those with the Warioware characters that aren't assists), I would much rather see them make 3D models, but if they don't have enough time, then I'd understand if they went for that option if they don't plan on including them in her Final Smash.

Hey, if other indies were to appear and get the Shovel Knight treatment as an assist trophy, what indies would you guys want to see?
I would love to see a Quote/Curly assist trophy.
I know it's not an assist, but I think Quote and Curly Brace would make perfect Mii Gunner costumes.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I would love to see a Quote/Curly assist trophy.
I see no one more worthy than those two. While technically Shantae is older than them, they are often cited as the first indie characters and are indie icons all on there own. Plus, I imagine they would pretty fun AT.

A1Again

Smash Cadet
I know she's from Wayforward as well, but I think the officer from Mighty Switch Force would be very interesting as an assist.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I know she's from Wayforward as well, but I think the officer from Mighty Switch Force would be very interesting as an assist.
I'd think she'd be perfect for an assist. She'd run around the stage and fire off her Pellet Gun to damage opponents and when she's summoned, faded out blocks will appear on the stage and they can become tangible by her helmet automatically like in the last levels of her game, they'd act as platforms and screen KO opponents if they're caught in front when they become tangible similar to Bowser's new Final Smash (or just do damage and KO at higher percentages if that'd be too OP), but she can also be screen KOed if caught in her own blocks

and how about an Inti Creates assist like Gunvolt from Azure Striker Gunvolt (attacks with both his gun which would tag opponents and his electrical field which would do more damage to tagged opponents)

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
How would you all react to not only Shantae but if they showed Nega Shantae as an echo?

zferolie

Smash Hero
How would you all react to not only Shantae but if they showed Nega Shantae as an echo?
Nega shantae seems too easy or not popular enough. I am still on the band wagon that Risky could be shantaes echo. If shantae uses pirate gear for some of her b moves it would be easy for it to happen

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, it would not be the first time we got the dark version of a character, but I would be surprised with the Shantae series getting two reps, even if the secound is just an echo of the first.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I can see Risky as an echo, but it really depends on the moveset they go for with Shantae. How would you work around the transforming and hair whipping?

zferolie

Smash Hero
I can see Risky as an echo, but it really depends on the moveset they go for with Shantae. How would you work around the transforming and hair whipping?
Replace transformation with tinkerbat summon(could be like bowser jrs down b)

Hair whiping could be replace with sword slashing

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If the transformations are integrated into Shantae's moveset as opposed to being full modes (which is what I anticipate), then you could give Risky moves with identical hitboxes and whatnot even if she doesn't transform during them. And of course scimitar slashing replaces hair whips.

Top Bottom