• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know if you guys know, but Link's Awakening was the last appearance of Wart the frog the last boss from Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros. 2. I wonder if he will be in the Switch remake, because it would be the first time we would see him in 3D.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't know if you guys know, but Link's Awakening was the last appearance of Wart the frog the last boss from Doki Doki Panic/Super Mario Bros. 2. I wonder if he will be in the Switch remake, because it would be the first time we would see him in 3D.
Maybe he could appear in Mario Maker 2.
I hear a Mario 2 enemy has been spotted in the trailer.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Maybe he could appear in Mario Maker 2.
I hear a Mario 2 enemy has been spotted in the trailer.
I wonder if it's Shy Guys or Birdos. I know Bob-Ombs were in the last Mario Maker, but they pretty much are in all Mario games though. I would love to see the other Subcon bosses and Wart in Mario Maker, it would be amazing.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I wonder if it's Shy Guys or Birdos. I know Bob-Ombs were in the last Mario Maker, but they pretty much are in all Mario games though. I would love to see the other Subcon bosses and Wart in Mario Maker, it would be amazing.
It's neither of those guys. Maybe I am misremembering, but aren't those gust enemies that appear in the trailer from Mario 2?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Maybe I am misremembering, but aren't those gust enemies that appear in the trailer from Mario 2?
I don't know, I'll have to rewatch the Mario Maker 2 trailer again. I'll be right back in a minute and than I'll tell you if I see something. ;)

Edit: Okay, so I just rewatched it just now and I didn't see any enemy from Doki Doki/Mario 2 in there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

That and him being a despicable jerk who uses autism as a insult among other problems.
As someone who's older brother has autism, even though the direct was bland imo, it also could not have been any better when Verge and his credibility got ****ed.

It honestly felt like a victory and he hasn't posted anything ever since the direct finished. Man was it satisfying lmao

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Did they add a beach setting to Maker 2? I think I could recreate some Shantae areas like Saliva Island or Cape Crustacean if we also have added verticality...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think Verge is out of this game. But I won't lie though, he did throw a good fight before going down. He pretty much got everything about the base roster and base game correct minus the Minecraft content and the Square-Enix rep.
You know. what if there’s no Minecraft content and the leakers who say Steve’s in are just respecting verges words and want all the attention like little fortnite baby’s

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know. what if there’s no Minecraft content and the leakers who say Steve’s in are just respecting verges words and want all the attention like little fortnite baby’s
Similarly, I'm thinking that the Erdrick claim started out as an educated guess on Tansut's part, and then everyone and their mother blew it out of proportion as soon as they heard of it.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Similarly, I'm thinking that the Erdrick claim started out as an educated guess on Tansut's part, and then everyone and their mother blew it out of proportion as soon as they heard of it.
I can't imagine how they felt after this direct had a good chunk of time dedicated to two Dragon Quest games that didn't lead up to a reveal.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can't imagine how they felt after this direct had a good chunk of time dedicated to two Dragon Quest games that didn't lead up to a reveal.
On the other hand, imagine how many would care about DQ after hearing of the Smash announcement? Fact of the matter is, DQ is niche in the US. Overshadowing it with a Smash announcement can hurt the possibility of people caring. So it's not worth taking the risk.

It's the same reason why it's better to not mention Smash during Nindies. People are that focused on Smash in itself that it overshadows everything. It's that huge of a franchise, really. Despite not having that many games, it's that big alone. ...Kind of like Minecraft, heh. So it's better they wait and make sure their other content gets a lot of love.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't know, I just don't know. If Tansut never said a peep and if no one datamined, we wouldn't be stuck in this constant rut of "this run-of-the-mill knight guy better get it over with and get in so it can fulfill/ruin my dreams, so I can get on with my life". It just feels like this entire thing is a case of crying wolf.

Maybe DQ would be a little more popular if Shantae had a spin-off modelled after its game structure. Although The Magic of Scheherazade kinda did that before.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
On the other hand, imagine how many would care about DQ after hearing of the Smash announcement? Fact of the matter is, DQ is niche in the US. Overshadowing it with a Smash announcement can hurt the possibility of people caring. So it's not worth taking the risk.

It's the same reason why it's better to not mention Smash during Nindies. People are that focused on Smash in itself that it overshadows everything. It's that huge of a franchise, really. Despite not having that many games, it's that big alone. ...Kind of like Minecraft, heh. So it's better they wait and make sure their other content gets a lot of love.
I think the argument could be made that, even if it would overshadow the announcement for revealed niche games, the announcement of a character getting in Smash (a very mainstream title) would only get a wider audience interested in trying the games this new character was from.

I'm sure Fire Emblem wouldn't be enjoying the current success it currently has were it not for the fact that people who had never heard of the franchise played the characters in Melee and then liked them enough to give their home games a shot.

All the people who are excited about DQ11S (myself certainly included) wouldn't have thought any less of the reveal had it been followed by a character announcement, but a lot of the people who couldn't have cared less about DQ still would have expereinced whatever opinion they had of the trailer on its first viewing, but then would have gone back to look at it again if they saw that one of their characters was going to be in Smash.

"Well, I love Smash and that character reveal/trailer looked pretty cool. The DQ trailer seemed interesting, might want to look deeper into this" to some effect anyway.

Doesn't mean there isn't a DQ rep in the works, but it is odd that they wouldn't want to combine all the DQ news they had to give all DQ games/dlc the biggest presence possible.

The way I see it, either there isn't a DQ fighter in the Smash DLC, or development of said character is in too early a stage for them to want to talk about it (which is entirely possible) Because i'm sure if they could have they would have wanted to synergize those announcements for maximum effect.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think the argument could be made that, even if it would overshadow the announcement for revealed niche games, the announcement of a character getting in Smash (a very mainstream title) would only get a wider audience interested in trying the games this new character was from.

I'm sure Fire Emblem wouldn't be enjoying the current success it currently has were it not for the fact that people who had never heard of the franchise played the characters in Melee and then liked them enough to give their home games a shot.

All the people who are excited about DQ11S (myself certainly included) wouldn't have thought any less of the reveal had it been followed by a character announcement, but a lot of the people who couldn't have cared less about DQ still would have expereinced whatever opinion they had of the trailer on its first viewing, but then would have gone back to look at it again if they saw that one of their characters was going to be in Smash.

"Well, I love Smash and that character reveal/trailer looked pretty cool. The DQ trailer seemed interesting, might want to look deeper into this" to some effect anyway.

Doesn't mean there isn't a DQ rep in the works, but it is odd that they wouldn't want to combine all the DQ news they had to give all DQ games/dlc the biggest presence possible.

The way I see it, either there isn't a DQ fighter in the Smash DLC, or development of said character is in too early a stage for them to want to talk about it (which is entirely possible) Because i'm sure if they could have they would have wanted to synergize those announcements for maximum effect.
There are lots of ways to tie Smash promotion with home series. Maybe you show the character closer to the game's actual release to decrease the chances of them losing interest as time goes on. Or it happens while the game is already out and you put on a sale to drum up interest instead. Or you announce the character before announcing the game, like with Duck Hunt.

Then again in this case it's kind of muddy since it's not like Erdrick is actually in DQ11... is he?

Anyway, here's a double dose of silky split ends from Wata_Ridley:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There are lots of ways to tie Smash promotion with home series. Maybe you show the character closer to the game's actual release to decrease the chances of them losing interest as time goes on. Or it happens while the game is already out and you put on a sale to drum up interest instead. Or you announce the character before announcing the game, like with Duck Hunt.

Then again in this case it's kind of muddy since it's not like Erdrick is actually in DQ11... is he?

Anyway, here's a double dose of silky split ends from Wata_Ridley:

Erdrick rarely shows up outside of DQIII, and he's usually only name-dropped in some way. So no, he isn't.

This fan art's great tho.

Last edited:

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Well, since Erdrick has temporarily taken over this thread recently, I'll pitch in.

DQ is really good; it basically does what its competition does, but much better. The additions you could add are seemingly endless because of the various options that exist within it, but people keep ranking on it because they've never tried it, thus believing that it'd be a wasteful decision.
I mean, Baskin Robbins is alright, but I prefer the classic DQ.

Oh, wait. Dragon Quest...my bad. Never played it, so I've no preference if Erdrick is coming or not.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Well, since Erdrick has temporarily taken over this thread recently, I'll pitch in.

DQ is really good; it basically does what its competition does, but much better. The additions you could add are seemingly endless because of the various options that exist within it, but people keep ranking on it because they've never tried it, thus believing that it'd be a wasteful decision.
I mean, Baskin Robbins is alright, but I prefer the classic DQ.

Oh, wait. Dragon Quest...my bad. Never played it, so I've no preference if Erdrick is coming or not.
I've played one Dragon Quest game on the DS. Dont remember which one it is, and I played it all the way and beaten the insanely hard boss at the end. I to this day, still didn't really care for it. Mainly cause I found the story a little boring. (Maybe I just couldn't get attached to the characters and their plights)

Mechanics wise, the game was good. Basically Final Fantasy style turn tactics that I enjoy. So personally I don't really know who Ed really is since I only played that one game. But I still don't desire him/her/it. Happy for people who does and actually gets them.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Until there's a leaker/insider/dad who works at Nintendo that has visual proof that confirms that they actually know anything about the DLC at all, I'll take Erdrick rumors with a salt mine. Even if I am fine with the idea.

As it is right now, the nebulous concept of having a new SE character as DLC is impossible for anyone to know clear details about.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Anyone still thinking spirits can become fighters?

Just asking since there are still no confirm evidence yet.

Artist: Dragonith

SSBU_-_Spirits_by_Dragonith.png

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Anyone still thinking spirits can become fighters?

Just asking since there are still no confirm evidence yet.

Artist: Dragonith

View attachment 192836
Recent developments, namely that the fighter pass characters will not get guidances unlike Piranha Plant, puts a severe dent in the stance of those supporting the theory. Many tried to use Plant not having a spirit before his release as proof that it'd be the same for all other DLC. Nobody really knows when the decisions for DLC and spirits took place, but while it's clear now that Plant was decided early enough to plan his spirit around and have a guidance, the same cannot be said for the real DLC. After all, if they were really planned early, surely it would have been easier to plan and give guidances for them, right?

There's still no guarantee we'll see a spirit become playable, but it's become a lot harder to argue why it won't happen.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I still don't think that spirits will become fighters through DLC.

Third party characters had to be discussed early enough that they can make them now, just look at how Jokers trailer happened the day before the game came out.

So I think the third party characters were all decided with Joker.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

It feels weird to say this, but I think you're overrating Smash. If Smash were so huge that it overshadows anything they'd never be able to feature it in normal directs at all. It's big, but it's not that big. The idea that a DQ character reveal in a direct would overshadow the DQ game announcements is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

Honestly, I think this idea that Smash "overshadows" anything is just ridiculous. Smash doesn't have that kind of effect. It's more likely to get people interested in other properties, not the other way around.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I still don't think that spirits will become fighters through DLC.

Third party characters had to be discussed early enough that they can make them now, just look at how Jokers trailer happened the day before the game came out.

So I think the third party characters were all decided with Joker.
Real talk, would there be any reason to put Joker or any other Persona spirit in the game if it didn't also have a fighter? The series has barely touched Nintendo platforms until now. What would people have thought? Meanwhile all of Shantae's games are available on Nintendo platforms, and so are Rayman's latest, not to mention the generally good relationship with Ubisoft.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It feels weird to say this, but I think you're overrating Smash. If Smash were so huge that it overshadows anything they'd never be able to feature it in normal directs at all. It's big, but it's not that big. The idea that a DQ character reveal in a direct would overshadow the DQ game announcements is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

Honestly, I think this idea that Smash "overshadows" anything is just ridiculous. Smash doesn't have that kind of effect. It's more likely to get people interested in other properties, not the other way around.
This. Funny fact is, before Ultimate dropped, the series only had a fairly modest reception in Japan, not exactly head-explodingly popular like DQ is over there. It got huge all over the rest of the world.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There's so many characters that are spirits and if they couldn't be made into characters that'd limit a lot of possibilities they might like. There'd be no Elma or any of a lot of nintendo characters..
Looking for fun at the list of spirits, it just seems like it would cut away too much potential, especially if nintendo would like to add more characters. And I still think there can be a second season of dlc.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There's so many characters that are spirits and if they couldn't be made into characters that'd limit a lot of possibilities they might like. There'd be no Elma or any of a lot of nintendo characters..
Looking for fun at the list of spirits, it just seems like it would cut away too much potential, especially if nintendo would like to add more characters. And I still think there can be a second season of dlc.
At least, if spirits come with this batch of fighters, it'll probably be safe to assume those won't be getting promoted in the current wave.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
That's what I've been saying for a while. If you look at all the Nintendo characters that are highly requested/anticipated, nearly all of them are currently spirits. Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, Geno... If Spirits really were off limits they wouldn't have left themselves many options.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That's what I've been saying for a while. If you look at all the Nintendo characters that are highly requested/anticipated, nearly all of them are currently spirits. Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, Geno... If Spirits really were off limits they wouldn't have left themselves many options.
Not to mention, if they wanted everyone to be off-limits, there wouldn't be so many odd absences (like Sylux, Porky, Adeleine, everyone from Pro Wrestling on NES, Professor Hector, all of Hyrule Warriors' original characters, etc).

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Smash is a lot bigger than people realize. It definitely overshadows stuff in a non-normal Nintendo direct like Nindies. Smash is just that big. It severely overtook e3 to the point almost nobody cared about anything that wasn't Smash. Even if it wasn't as big of a showing of information, it'd still have overshadowed the other stuff. It's the AAA Nintendo-owned Crossover. There's a reason quite a few companies would love to have their character in Smash. Companies tweeted to ask for players to vote for their own IP's in the Smash Ballot. It has that huge of an influence. It's the ultimate way to promote their IP's and is as close as guaranteed to make 'em more known worldwide. It's why things like Mother is more well known, why characters like Roy are even popular, despite it not even being his home game proper, and has kept multiple series somewhat alive(F-Zero included) for people to know about.

People vast underrate how big of a deal it is now. It is definitely that big. It's why they got it out by 2018, being the biggest game of that year for Nintendo itself. And DQ is niche in the US. People were already groaning at how long it took to finish the information. Throw in something like a Smash announcement, and many are going to ignore DQ since it's nowhere near as big as Smash in most regions(Japan is literally the only place where Dragon Quest is treated as a holiday). And Smash has had that effect for a while now. There's no point in downplaying how big it is. In fact, the lack of any decent Smash information, like Joker's gameplay, left a ton of people disappointed in the direct alone. Which honestly is the least that would've made sense, cause people are hungry for information. Any droughts are taken a bit too seriously here, with lots of fighting that breaks out because people are antsy for even the tiniest scrap of real information. Coupled with the Smash Blog being mostly useless as well, and you have a rabid fanbase as is.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Smash is a lot bigger than people realize. It definitely overshadows stuff in a non-normal Nintendo direct like Nindies. Smash is just that big. It severely overtook e3 to the point almost nobody cared about anything that wasn't Smash. Even if it wasn't as big of a showing of information, it'd still have overshadowed the other stuff. It's the AAA Nintendo-owned Crossover. There's a reason quite a few companies would love to have their character in Smash. Companies tweeted to ask for players to vote for their own IP's in the Smash Ballot. It has that huge of an influence. It's the ultimate way to promote their IP's and is as close as guaranteed to make 'em more known worldwide. It's why things like Mother is more well known, why characters like Roy are even popular, despite it not even being his home game proper, and has kept multiple series somewhat alive(F-Zero included) for people to know about.

People vast underrate how big of a deal it is now. It is definitely that big. It's why they got it out by 2018, being the biggest game of that year for Nintendo itself. And DQ is niche in the US. People were already groaning at how long it took to finish the information. Throw in something like a Smash announcement, and many are going to ignore DQ since it's nowhere near as big as Smash in most regions(Japan is literally the only place where Dragon Quest is treated as a holiday). And Smash has had that effect for a while now. There's no point in downplaying how big it is. In fact, the lack of any decent Smash information, like Joker's gameplay, left a ton of people disappointed in the direct alone. Which honestly is the least that would've made sense, cause people are hungry for information. Any droughts are taken a bit too seriously here, with lots of fighting that breaks out because people are antsy for even the tiniest scrap of real information. Coupled with the Smash Blog being mostly useless as well, and you have a rabid fanbase as is.
You kind of contradicted yourself here. Let's take a look:
"There's a reason quite a few companies would love to have their character in Smash. Companies tweeted to ask for players to vote for their own IP's in the Smash Ballot..... It's the ultimate way to promote their IP's"

Why? Why do companies want their characters in Smash? Because it makes people aware and promotes their game, as you stated. But this goes completely against the point you just tried to make in the second paragraph; if, say, a DQ character had been confirmed for Smash in this direct, that quote I snipped out says this would draw more people to DQ, but the rest of what you said suggests the opposite.

Smash is certainly a huge influencer, but the only people who forget everything else are the ones who only really care for Smash in the first place...which doesn't even make a whole lot of sense in itself, because the most hardcore Smash fans are the ones who really care about the Nintendo cast and, therefore, are big fans of at least some other Nintendo franchises.

Smash overtook E3 simply because that's how Nintendo planned it. Half of their presentation was Smash (more than any game has ever gotten in a general direct) and their show floor was clearly tailored for Smash. It doesn't have to be that way, though; Isabelle's announcement certainly didn't overtake that direct, and the Smash 4 reveals didn't overtake their directs. In fact, after E3 there were memes and complaints of how Nintendo's presentation was only good if you're a Smash fan (which I, as a huge FE fan, disagree with, but the opinions were there).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There are some indie games that get so big that they tend to be treated separately from others. Half-Genie Hero Ultimate and Undertale were both announced in non-indie focused directs... I'm starting to think we won't ever see anything Shantae-related in a Nindie direct. It's gotten to the point where Nintendo likely thinks Shantae, period, would overshadow most everything in there.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
There are some indie games that get so big that they tend to be treated separately from others. Half-Genie Hero Ultimate and Undertale were both announced in non-indie focused directs... I'm starting to think we won't ever see anything Shantae-related in a Nindie direct. It's gotten to the point where Nintendo likely thinks Shantae, period, would overshadow most everything in there.
That would certainly be funny if true.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Shantae might overshadow a stream for me, but that's because I like her a good amount :p
Maybe if we think in terms of potential, a lot of people could technically like her too? Give it a nice long exposure, like DQ11 got in the last direct, and make people enjoy seeing some gameplay and story elements, maybe a good amount of cute and cool stuff in there, and ya get some people hooked XD

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You kind of contradicted yourself here. Let's take a look:
"There's a reason quite a few companies would love to have their character in Smash. Companies tweeted to ask for players to vote for their own IP's in the Smash Ballot..... It's the ultimate way to promote their IP's"
Which has nothing to do with how Directs are done. Nindies have nothing to do with Smash itself, which is a regular Nintendo product. So they keep it out of it because it's such a massively known series that people would barely care about the rest. It's not contradictory. They're just different situations. Seeing Smash alongside your game will not promote it. Seeing your game content in Smash will. You're acting like they are the same thing. Smash overshadows tons of games due to how huge it is in reality.

Why? Why do companies want their characters in Smash? Because it makes people aware and promotes their game, as you stated. But this goes completely against the point you just tried to make in the second paragraph; if, say, a DQ character had been confirmed for Smash in this direct, that quote I snipped out says this would draw more people to DQ, but the rest of what you said suggests the opposite.
Except it wouldn't really do much for the actual games within the Direct. Because those were the important part, not just a Smash character. They're trying to draw people to the game in itself. How can they do that if Smash overshadows the rest of the DQ content? Actual DQ fans(not just people who might be interested after seeing good information) are going to buy it anyway. But if you want new viewers, you don't let anything overshadow your current video content. The reality is, major Smash information overshadows any Direct because of its massive influence. This'll continue to happen as is as long as the series exists.

A character getting in Smash will promote their game, but only after people actually play Smash. That's where all the stuff is. The trailer's key point is to appeal to Smash fans first and foremost. Or those who are already fans of the IP the character is from. Cloud's trailer wasn't to promote FFVII. It was to promote Smash Bros. itself by making people hyped for the character in question. Imagine if you aren't already a FF fan. The trailer won't do anything for you. And for good reasons. It's not designed to do so. At best it might explain a thing or two to the FF fans about how Cloud works(in which case it did), but it would not really make anyone care about FFVII either. They're focused on Smash. This is why Smash overshadows other games with its announcements as well. It's because it's not designed to really promote other games, even within the trailers. Appealing to the fans of a franchise is not necessarily promoting the franchise as is. Now, it can be done that way. But it has to be intentional, like Isabelle's reveal was tied into the reveal for AC Switch. But that's pretty much... the only time where they used Smash's own trailer to promote a game without overshadowing it. However, this is also DQ, which is niche in the US but also godly in Japan. It's too risky to try and overshadow it. Even if Erdrick(or Slime, etc.) were revealed, the DQ stuff alone wouldn't be talked about nearly as much. Even the casual Smash fanbase doesn't talk much about stuff other than Smash during directs. It's pretty much always the biggest highlight of a direct as long as any gameplay or a trailer is shown(hence why few cared about the Smash information in the last direct, but it's still heavily talked about as is anyway).

Smash is certainly a huge influencer, but the only people who forget everything else are the ones who only really care for Smash in the first place...which doesn't even make a whole lot of sense in itself, because the most hardcore Smash fans are the ones who really care about the Nintendo cast and, therefore, are big fans of at least some other Nintendo franchises.
The hardcore Smash fans aren't necessarily Nintendo fans. Some just care about the 3rd party options alone, which is the reason they even got interested in it. That's why some are willing to buy a Nintendo system just for Smash. Smash fans are not inherently Nintendo fans anyway. Not when it appeals to more than just Nintendo fans(which is part of why 3rd parties exist, to gather multiple players who don't own Nintendo systems. It's meant to be a gaming crossover at this point, as said by the man himself. A lot changed).

Smash overtook E3 simply because that's how Nintendo planned it. Half of their presentation was Smash (more than any game has ever gotten in a general direct) and their show floor was clearly tailored for Smash. It doesn't have to be that way, though; Isabelle's announcement certainly didn't overtake that direct, and the Smash 4 reveals didn't overtake their directs. In fact, after E3 there were memes and complaints of how Nintendo's presentation was only good if you're a Smash fan (which I, as a huge FE fan, disagree with, but the opinions were there).
Even if Smash wasn't almost the entire focus of E3 it would've still overshadowed it heavily. It had Ridley, for cripes' sake. That was enough alone. It didn't need to have 'Everyone is here". It already had a huge reveal that immediately changed everything. The rest was a bonus at that point, really. Smash Character announcements are pretty much always going to be the biggest deal of any direct, but it's only going to be a big deal in the context of Smash(as in, to be clear, it will only actually promote Smash in itself with people not caring nearly as much what games the character comes from... if they aren't already fans of that series), nothing else. As I said above, it isn't going to help people care about the franchise a character is from just by having an announcement or trailer alone. Only if the game is talked about as well, or promoted alongside of it in a similar manner(like with AC Switch) will it not entirely overshadow it. Though really, Isabelle's reveal easily overshadowed AC Switch's announcement anyway. Which was inevitable.

D

Deleted member

Found this little gem when I was going through my stuff my first drawing of shantae.
621F4EEF-4268-48D1-BB95-880F8D540F90.jpeg

Thanks for bringing that list up so I can remember that final fantasy still has the exact same content from smash 4 and square is a bunch of stingy ****s

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I still find it comical that Into the Breach somehow has enough clout to have its own "one more thing" reveal in one of the Nindies directs. It's a good game, but not exactly one I would call notorious enough to be treated differently.

Last edited:
Top Bottom