• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
It comes off as a stretch. Especially when we consider this trend. Mii Fighter costumes have never debuted in the same game as a character made playable. As in, Chrom wasn't made playable in the game where his mii costume debuted, same for King K Rool, and so on so forth.

Also, why would they pretend to have the dlc pre-planned? Becuase that's how they acted, saying that they can't be revealed yet.

And again, if you're arguing that Rex is being saved for DLC, then that lends all the more credence to the idea that DLC is pre-planned.

Sakurai stated that rex couldn't make it in during the DLC section of the direct. They'd have made it clear otherwise.

That's the thing. The level of detail often suggests that it's the best consolation prize that they can make. Name me one time that a character was made playable in the same game that their mii costume debuted,and were revealed playable after said costume.
I quote:
OH and FYI, we aren't saying Rex will get both a Mii Costume AND DLC. We are just saying Sakurai at the time of planning knew he couldn't be in base, and wasn't set on DLC yet, so went to work on a Mii Costume for it. Maybe thats all he'll don, who knows, only time will tell
Also, what are you even arguing anymore?
(Jova, not zfero)

You said DLC was already determined at this point, because Rex's MII Costume showed up during the DLC-Section.
While we said, why that's not the case. Simply because they made the Costume long ago, and decided to use it as a bonus for the Season Pass.
And it fits the DLC Section, not because it's DLC or anything, but because it's tied to DLC via a bonus you get from it.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I am expressing my thoughts and feelings. I'm having trouble moving on. I'm not choosing to blame them, I'm just explaining why I'm having trouble with this, and having thought about it, I'm pretty sure there's others too, maybe not for the exact same reasons, but similar too.

I dont want to keep talking about this unless people want to. If you dont understand that's ok, then leave it be and I wont respond about it. It's just stuff to deal with. And like I said, Im not leaving, I'm just explaining where I'm at.
zferolie zferolie please dont misunderstand me either. People feel all sorts of things and are always expressing stuff from them anyway. I'm not bashing anyone or anything, so let's not try to blow it out of proportion. It can help to express these things (unless people arent good with it)
Oh i know you arent trying to argue or fight or anything. You just seem really stressed out

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Im sorry some people are feeling a bit upset with the recent direct. Im not going to hassle someone about it, but I will ask that people simply try to get along and try not to tear each other down, as right now there is very little information available and there will likely be nothing much to go on until the games release at the earliest.

As for me, I am definitely going to keep following this thread and participating. However, some of you may have noticed my overall activity has slowed a bit over the last few days. This is because of major class assignments, as with less than a month left before the end of the semester they are really starting to buckle down. I'll try to get back into things once I have more free time!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No, it's not that at all. I just think now, is a good time, to relax a bit...
Same for me, I just keep talking because you keep talking as well. I don't think either of us wants to be the one who forfeits the conversation.
Oh i know you arent trying to argue or fight or anything. You just seem really stressed out
I'm not more stressed out than usual. I'm more sad than worried. It can help to talk some things out. Don't worry about me, I'm still here for a reason, and I'm decent at knowing when to pull back.
Of course, it doesn't feel good to say something and then get friction instead of understanding, but it's a gaming forum so I get it.
I'm not trying to say things to frustrate any of you, let me know if you're having trouble with some part. I'm just trying to make sense of it and help find ways to feel better about it. Or at least feel a little company around the thread I spent a lot of my time in the last months, with the same kind of topics.

Or is there something I'm missing?

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
You know, I've mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating. There's no reason to think Sakurai nailed down the DLC characters at the same time he was nailing down the base roster. That said, I DO think that Sakurai has a short list of DLC possibilities. Hopefully Shantae is ON that short list. But I think if she wasn't up for consideration, Sakurai would've said so to WayForward and Matt. But hey, that's just a theory. A Game The-*IS SHOT*

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You said DLC was already determined at this point, because Rex's MII Costume showed up during the DLC-Section.
Nope. I'm not basing it off of that. What I am basing it off of is that Sakurai clearly stated that Rex didn't make it in before planning for DLC was finished. The mii costume is simply a part of that factor.

And now, we have Wayforward correcting themselves with the DLC hashtag. Which lends credence to support for Shantae as DLC, but not the first 5.

Also, as a part of the recap, in the video I linked, Sakurai made it quite apparent that the characters were already there, secrets to be unraveled.

See, here's how it goes in dlc packs of any game. The DLC is already decided on and being worked on. Especially with fighting games. Otherwise, they'd mention voting campaigns for this.

Not only that, but it's rigid. They're clear on what will be in each dlc pack.

Bring me a cited case of dlc with such specifications that hasn't been decided yet, and you've got my attention. Otherwise, the burden of proof lies with proving that this is somehow different from every other case.

The voting ballot was different. They explicitly stated that the vote was open and encouraged players to give their say.

Now, obviously enough noise could sway a second Season of DLC, but from what they've said, there's a good reason that most folk have come to terms with it apparently being already mapped out, at least for Season 1.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, I've mentioned this before, but I think it bears repeating. There's no reason to think Sakurai nailed down the DLC characters at the same time he was nailing down the base roster. That said, I DO think that Sakurai has a short list of DLC possibilities. Hopefully Shantae is ON that short list. But I think if she wasn't up for consideration, Sakurai would've said so to WayForward and Matt. But hey, that's just a theory. A Game The-*IS SHOT*
I guess that makes a bit of sense. Heck, that could be why Matt is asking for support now, to possibly have Sakurai think about raising Shantae on the list. Now, I don't think it would be for any of the 5 DLC slots we know for sure are gonna happen, but I think a season 2 is likely.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
I don't think Matt would have told us to start promoting if Sakurai had denied Matt. As I told the Discord Shantae Campaigners. Work with Matt Bozon tell him to get in touch with Sakurai and we'll get done whatever the man needs to show Sakurai that our favorite half-genie is indeed wanted.

Shadowknight1

Nope. I'm not basing it off of that. What I am basing it off of is that Sakurai clearly stated that Rex didn't make it in before planning for DLC was finished. The mii costume is simply a part of that factor.

And now, we have Wayforward correcting themselves with the DLC hashtag. Which lends credence to support for Shantae as DLC, but not the first 5.

Also, as a part of the recap, in the video I linked, Sakurai made it quite apparent that the characters were already there, secrets to be unraveled.

See, here's how it goes in dlc packs of any game. The DLC is already decided on and being worked on. Especially with fighting games. Otherwise, they'd mention voting campaigns for this.

Not only that, but it's rigid. They're clear on what will be in each dlc pack.

Bring me a cited case of dlc with such specifications that hasn't been decided yet, and you've got my attention. Otherwise, the burden of proof lies with proving that this is somehow different from every other case.

The voting ballot was different. They explicitly stated that the vote was open and encouraged players to give their say.

Now, obviously enough noise could sway a second Season of DLC, but from what they've said, there's a good reason that most folk have come to terms with it apparently being already mapped out, at least for Season 1.
EXCEPT IT ISN'T. Sakurai confirms that they aren't working on it until the game is released.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Nope. I'm not basing it off of that. What I am basing it off of is that Sakurai clearly stated that Rex didn't make it in before planning for DLC was finished. The mii costume is simply a part of that factor..
He was talking about planning for the BASE ROSTER!!!
Rex came too late to make it into base roster, since the planning for it was long finished when he first showed up.

He simply was present at the DLC-Section, because they made him a special gift for those who purchase the season pass.
It had nothing to do with him being planned for DLC.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Jovahexeon Joranvexeon Jovahexeon Joranvexeon And Paragon-Yoshi Paragon-Yoshi

You're both sticking to oppositive stances on something that's clearly up to interpretation. We dont know for sure yet, and the in the direct what's said is not clearly one or the other. Anyway you chalk it up, it can give an impression, but there just isn't enough to go on. Time will tell better.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

You're both sticking to oppositive stances on something that's clearly up to interpretation. We dont know for sure yet, and the in the direct what's said is not clearly one or the other. Anyway you chalk it up, it can give an impression, but there just isn't enough to go on. Time will tell better.

I agree. We wont know till later. The soonest we will hear about the dlc will be at the game awards, if leakypandy was right. Otherwise, expect nothing till next year

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
EXCEPT IT ISN'T. Sakurai confirms that they aren't working on it until the game is released.
Working on=/=planning.
He was talking about planning for the BASE ROSTER!!!
Alright, you're screaming it at me, so I'll ask. I've provided proof. Drawn connections to how this DLC train goes. Whenever they mention that they've got a pack planned, that pertains to stuff they've already chosen.

You've provided suggestions, but nothing rock solid that supports the claim that things would go so radically different this time.

So, where's your evidence that they were talking about the base roster? My claim falls on past history and facts. Not saying that means your idea is wrong, but it has less stuff backing it, unless we get something else to suggest otherwise. And again, Sakurai has stated how long fighters can take to make. And given that the first one is liable to be released as early as a few months from now, well.

Look, I'm not saying to give up on Shantae for DLC. Just saying that the evidence speaks that her shot comes with Season 2's DLC, not Season 1's, until there's bulletproof evidence for the opposite case.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

Except Sakurai literally said, that Rex was one of those characters, who simply came too late for base roster.

Heck, I even quote to you what Sakurai says during the Direct:
Masahiro Sakurai said:
We decided which characters to use, when we started the planning. So we couldn't add characters from titles like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which was announced after planning had started.
And when was Xenoblade Chronicles 2 first announced?
In January 2017!

And surely DLC wasn't on the table back then.
Ergo, Sakurai was talking about the planning for base roster.

And Rex's MII Costume was only featured in the DLC-Section, because it's a special gift if you buy the Season Pass.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Anyhow, the game is gonna be amazing, our girl is part of this wide smash world and we still have chances for DLC one day ! yay !
Good night everyone, and keep it positive :)

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
You know, this may be kinda side stepping what is being talked about(Though some of you might enjoy the change is topic), but I feel like bringing this up. After all of the stuff that went down in Smash in thew last 2 days, I found myself inexplicably returning to a moment of a show I used to watch regularly, and to a moment that I think very much represents what some Smash fans have gone through, are starting to go through, or are are currently going through.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Except Sakurai literally said, that Rex was one of those characters, who simply came too late for base roster.

Heck, I even quote to you what Sakurai says during the Direct:

In January 2017!

Ergo, Sakurai was talking about the planning for base roster.

And Rex's MII Costume was only featured in the DLC-Section, because it's a special gift if you buy the Season Pass.
He never said base roster. It could easily be taken that dlc were also planned during the development cycle.
You made a good argument about dlc probably not being on the table before its release, and I tend to agree with you, but it's still not solid enough for a lot of people. I think that I actually lean more towards your take (of base roster), but that doesn't mean it's going to be convincing for those that dont think it matters. It's in those times where it's best to agree to disagree until more information comes out. (or straight up leave it open)

'We decided which characters to use, when we started the planning ' can easily be taken to mean dlc too, because of the context (dlc section).
-I'm not saying that to continue the debate. I'm just letting you know that it's easy to see it that way too.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Anyhow, the game is gonna be amazing, our girl is part of this wide smash world and we still have chances for DLC one day ! yay !
Good night everyone, and keep it positive :)
I think that Shantae had just gotten her invite and was running to meet with everyone before the whole world went ka-boom. Poor thing. No wonder she possessed Samus!

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

Alright Teeb. You sound reasonable there. I can agree with the wait-and-listen line of thinking.

I mean, most people are leaning in the scenario that the DLC is already planned, and I think I've done my part listing why, which hasn't been debunked yet. I mean, regardless of whether or not DLC is planned, that doesn't stop us from campaigning Shantae. Arguing the status doesn't really matter anyway. It'll be what it is.

And my original point anyway, also ties into the whole mess on poorly wording stuff. Something Wayforward did in the first place.

Well, aside from that, I can say that I'm enjoying the trend of Shantae taking Samus' body for joyride.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
But it all depends on if Rottytops gets any representation alongside her...
Well, she may not be represented in the first place, but she is totally here somewhere wandering around as a spirit too since Shantae's world has been touched as well.
I'm out now xD

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
He never said base roster. It could easily be taken that dlc were also planned during the development cycle.
You made a good argument about dlc probably not being on the table before its release, and I tend to agree with you, but it's still not solid enough for a lot of people. I think that I actually lean more towards your take (of base roster), but that doesn't mean it's going to be convincing for those that dont think it matters. In those times it's those times where it's best to agree to disagree until more information comes out.

'We decided which characters to use, when we started the planning ' can easily be taken to mean dlc too, because of the context (dlc section).
-I'm not saying that to continue the debate. I'm just letting you know that it's easy to see it that way too.
It's simply logic and Sakurai confirming they won't work on DLC, until after the game's release.
So planning for something you're not gonna touch for almost 2 whole years doesn't seem right.
Plus, it's Sakurai we're talking about, who doesn't like thinking about DLC, until after he's done working on the base game.

So Sakurai's ideals and the timing could be used as evidence to prove that he was talking about Rex for base roster.

But then again, this is the internet.
If people want me to be wrong, they come up with any number of reasons to declare me so.
I said why Sakurai's words for Rex's MII Costume mean Rex for base, not DLC.
But if they don't wanna believe and keep saying I'm wrong and a moron, screw them!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Working on=/=planning.

Alright, you're screaming it at me, so I'll ask. I've provided proof. Drawn connections to how this DLC train goes. Whenever they mention that they've got a pack planned, that pertains to stuff they've already chosen.

You've provided suggestions, but nothing rock solid that supports the claim that things would go so radically different this time.

So, where's your evidence that they were talking about the base roster? My claim falls on past history and facts. Not saying that means your idea is wrong, but it has less stuff backing it, unless we get something else to suggest otherwise. And again, Sakurai has stated how long fighters can take to make. And given that the first one is liable to be released as early as a few months from now, well.

Look, I'm not saying to give up on Shantae for DLC. Just saying that the evidence speaks that her shot comes with Season 2's DLC, not Season 1's, until there's bulletproof evidence for the opposite case.
If you say that it falls on past history and facts, then you can't deny Corrin.

That's the last thing I'll say about it for now because I can see it's not getting anywhere much..
I think it's best to drop it at least for now.
Edit: saw your last post, glad things might be good to wait and see more. Im not totally sure about it myself.

It's simply logic and Sakurai confirming they won't work on DLC, until after the game's release.
So planning for something you're not gonna touch for almost 2 whole years doesn't seem right.
Plus, it's Sakurai we're talking about, who doesn't like thinking about DLC, until after he's done working on the base game.

So Sakurai's ideals and the timing could be used as evidence to prove that he was talking about Rex for base roster.

But then again, this is the internet.
If people want me to be wrong, they come up with any number of reasons to declare me so.
I said why Sakurai's words for Rex's MII Costume mean Rex for base, not DLC.
But if they don't wanna believe and keep saying I'm wrong and a moron, screw them!
I agree, it's a good point. At least to question the other side enough (but not prove totally). It just doesnt seem to cut it for the person you're debating with :/
And like I said, sometimes it's better to agree to disagree until new information comes out, if it's not getting anywhere. (and i think staying open is good too)

Last edited:

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
If you say that it falls on past history and facts, then you can't deny Corrin.
Oh really?

Alright then, lay it on me. Where's the contradiction?
Actually planning well in advance is quite the recommended thing to do for any kind of project. Espeically if you wanna release it in packs, or at a uniform pattern of release date.
I mean, nobody was expecting a DLC announcement before the game released for that very reason, yet here we are. Also, what Sakurai likes or doesn't like can get easily overturned if the head honchos at Nintendo demand otherwise.

Corrin being promotion for Fire Emblem Fates, serves as quite the example.
In January 2017!

And your evidence to suggest such is? Again, there was a time when people assumed that this game was a port becuase of how quickly it came after Smash 4's campaign ended. But here's the thing. A lot of the development and planning was done right off the tail end of Smash 4. So you can bet that much of it was done prior. Remember, we also need to factor in all the time spent on developing the base game. That would've taken a good chunk of the dev time, while simultaneously they were discussing DLC plans, getting contracts, deals, etc, before moving on to working them. Not to mention,
at this stage of the game, the base game is pretty much done, and they'd already be moving on to DLC work. Now, it doesn't guarantee that all the DLC has been planned....on its own. If they have all that stuff factored in, and haven't closed all the deals required to facilitate the quantity of DLC they've promised...they as a business would never promise that stuff with their being any risk of it not going through.

Take it from someone with a double major in business communications and videogame design.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
With the full roster being revealed, our goal needs to shift.

We shouldn't be fighting among our selves about the status of the 5 DLC picks. That is a fruitless fight. And when we do know the answer it will of been too late.

We should instead use our energy on planning and executing support for Shantae.
If you can draw fanart, draw!
If you have an active YouTube channel. Make videos about her.
Buy your friends a copy of one of her games.
Make memes.
Tweet Shantae stuff.

We need to be the community Matt and WF know we are. It's our actions, however small it may seem, that will make her playable.

So stop fighting and get to work.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oh really?

Alright then, lay it on me. Where's the contradiction?

Actually planning well in advance is quite the recommended thing to do for any kind of project. Espeically if you wanna release it in packs, or at a uniform pattern of release date.

I mean, nobody was expecting a DLC announcement before the game released for that very reason, yet here we are. Also, what Sakurai likes or doesn't like can get easily overturned if the head honchos at Nintendo demand otherwise.

Corrin being promotion for Fire Emblem Fates, serves as quite the example.

And your evidence to suggest such is? Again, there was a time when people assumed that this game was a port becuase of how quickly it came after Smash 4's campaign ended. But here's the thing. A lot of the development and planning was done right off the tail end of Smash 4. So you can bet that much of it was done prior. Remember, we also need to factor in all the time spent on developing the base game. That would've taken a good chunk of the dev time, while simultaneously they were discussing DLC plans, getting contracts, deals, etc, before moving on to working them. Not to mention,
at this stage of the game, the base game is pretty much done, and they'd already be moving on to DLC work. Now, it doesn't guarantee that all the DLC has been planned....on its own. If they have all that stuff factored in, and haven't closed all the deals required to facilitate the quantity of DLC they've promised...they as a business would never promise that stuff with their being any risk of it not going through.

Take it from someone with a double major in business communications and videogame design.
"Corrin was announced alongside Bayonetta during the Super Smash Bros. - Final Video Presentation on December 15th, 2015, and both released on February 3rd, 2016 "

Fire Emblem Fates release date:
"JPJune 25, 2015
NAFebruary 19, 2016 "

XenoBlade Chronicles 2 was released December 1, 2017

Edit: Maybe the dates werent what I thought before. I'll leave that info there and look at it.
But XBC2 was still released a year before smash ultimate releases.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

We shouldn't be fighting among our selves about the status of the 5 DLC picks. That is a fruitless fight. And when we do know the answer it will of been too late.

Make memes.
Tweet Shantae stuff.

We need to be the community Matt and WF know we are. It's our actions, however small it may seem, that will make her playable.

Pretty much this. Trying to come up with reasons Shantae won't be in serves no purpose except convincing people to give up, and reasons that she will that aren't indisputable hard evidence may cause them to rest on their laurels and/or worse, build unrealistic expectations that leads to cause-damaging vitriol.

Make memes.
Tweet Shantae stuff.

Well said, even a simple #ShantaeForSmashDLC retweet will help. We're lucky enough to have the full support of Matt Bozon and even SomecallmeJohnny, which is amazing considering all any big content creators can talk about is Geno, and tons of other Shantae supporters ready to raise their flags. Keep fighting!!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I don't disagree with ProtoTwi ProtoTwi
Though I do think there's more to consider when it comes to people who may need more to get into it, for whatever reason. Including weighing things. If they can get through limiting ways and just support regardless then that's great. And I think meleebrawler meleebrawler makes a good point for cutting through limiting thoughts, and I think it can be a good focus, though maybe unrealistic to think that everyone will be able to do that, especially depending on how they're used to dispensing their energy, or how they feel.

I think it was conTAgi0n conTAgi0n who said to go at it with positive energy, and to just go for it as much as it feels good (passion or otherwise), and that's the line of thought I agree with the most. Especially because right now my motivation is shot. I'll love to see what everyone's able to accomplish, whatever comes from that kind of supportive energy :)

I think it's ok to discuss anything people want to too, it's still a forum, but we can also get better at how we do things to aim for what's good at the same time. Just be yourself, too.

I say enjoy whatever trek you decide to do as much as you can, and when you feel something brewing or are inspired to share or plan something to help the cause of shantae in smash, then go for it :)

#ShantaeforSmashDLC

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Take care of yourselves and hype well.
I might take more breaks from the thread for now. (i'll see)

Keep fighting the good fight. And feel good. <3

Dukefire

Smash Master
As long that spark still shines, we will not fall.

Right now, lets take it easy. We may have something later down the road.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
I really wonder what's up their sleeves for future Shantae titles. It feels like HGH is coming to a close for content. Where's the series going from here? Just wanted to change things up a bit.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I really wonder what's up their sleeves for future Shantae titles. It feels like HGH is coming to a close for content. Where's the series going from here? Just wanted to change things up a bit.
I think HGH did everything after Jammies Mode was released. Now we are just waiting for the next game.

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Maybe she IS DLC and he's just hyping us up for it.
Y'know, at this point, I'd say anything is possible.
Piranha Plant is a playable character. There's NO way to predict Sakurai. For all we know, he could have told Matt to keep doing business as usual to make people think she won't happen and make her inclusion even more surprising if it happens.

I mean, which would you do if you were in Sakurai's shoes and wanted to keep things a surprise? Tell the character owner they should be totally silent and draw attention to themselves or tell them to just keep driving hype for the character to get in?
Phil Spencer has said stuff about wanting Banjo in, and at this point he's super likely as DLC. Anything can happen.

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
I still cant believe how dark smash bros has become. The toys are fighting for their freedom, spirits roam because there's no trace of their physical bodies, everyone is dead.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I still cant believe how dark smash bros has become. The toys are fighting for their freedom, spirits roam because there's no trace of their physical bodies, everyone is dead.
Super Smash Bros? Dark?
There was a problem fetching the tweet
I have no idea where you got that idea.
But seriously, some of this artwork breaks my heart.

Top Bottom