• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Okay, I'm gonna go out and put down my list of hopeful DLC.

1. Geno. Come on, the guy deserves it.
2. Shantae. We all know why.
3. KRYSTAL. But seeing as she's an Assist Trophy...Elma is going to be my realistic pick here.
4. Tails. They nixed Shadow, but Sonic's best bud is just a spirit!
5. Sceptile. Not likely, but still gonna hope for that Gen 3 representation. Gardevoir would be nice too.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Okay, I'm gonna go out and put down my list of hopeful DLC.

1. Geno. Come on, the guy deserves it.
2. Shantae. We all know why.
3. KRYSTAL. But seeing as she's an Assist Trophy...Elma is going to be my realistic pick here.
4. Tails. They nixed Shadow, but Sonic's best bud is just a spirit!
5. Sceptile. Not likely, but still gonna hope for that Gen 3 representation. Gardevoir would be nice too.
Gardevoir is a Pokeball-Pokemon. So nope, she ain't gonna be playable, I'm afraid.

RockOfMind

Smash Apprentice
In my completely honest opinion, I think people are reading too much into the Spirit. I think til others get the game and explore into it more hands on we're all kinda just spit-balling. I'm just taking it as recognition for Shantae as of now.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Exactly. yes.

I do wonder if there's something more to the 4 out of 5, but it might just be a joke (getting in rotty, sky, risky, and .. well shantae, but.. bolo if there's 5?)
If they (or he) are trying to play it off, or make the hype train make light of it, well I guess it worked on some people, but not for me.
It makes me wonder. Wayforward are aware that the DLC for this first season pass was told to have already been decided by Sakurai, right? And with no announcement of a season 2 in sight.

Now, I'm not saying it's unproductive, but doesn't it seem a bit tone death? Especially with there being no ballot, and no where to directly post to, to campaign?

Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't, but I can't help but feel like Wayforward are either intentionally contradicting Sakurai, or taking things a little too for granted with their fanbase?

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Vergeben. :/

I would actually quite like a Granblue character, but the idea of one making it into Smash has not gone down too well with a lot of people. Would you mind it?
I wouldn't mind, she looks cool, in a case that I don't get Saber from the Fate series in Smash, I'll gladly accept her into Smash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It makes me wonder. Wayforward are aware that the DLC for this first season pass was told to have already been decided by Sakurai, right? And with no announcement of a season 2 in sight.

Now, I'm not saying it's unproductive, but doesn't it seem a bit tone death? Especially with there being no ballot, and no where to directly post to, to campaign?

Again, I'm not saying we shouldn't, but I can't help but feel like Wayforward are either intentionally contradicting Sakurai, or taking things a little too for granted with their fanbase?
Well, it's a bit up in the air, since it was unclear whether or not there is a second season, or if even the characters were already decided (I made a post about the Rex thing). But it does seem a bit bleak like you're saying too. People who want to support her have to do it because they want to try, in the hopes that it's still possible.

It's possible that WF don't even know exactly themselves, but want to let the support mount. If they didn't even know that Piranha plant wasnt of the 5 dlc, I dont think they're experts at the details..

EarlTamm

Smash Hero

I don't think anyone needs a ballot to justify campaigning for there character.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I don't think anyone needs a ballot to justify campaigning for there character.
I never said we did. I'm just saying that Wayforward may not have judged the situation clearly and might risk getting the fanbase's hopes up too soon.

It's one thing for fans themselves to do it, that's fine, but the way they've worded things with that hashtag right after Sakurai got done saying that the five dlc characters have already been decided was..... unwise to say the least as it confuses people.

I mean, I didn't even mind the call to action, but implying that she has a shot at the first 5 that way isn't the right kind if information, unless Sakurai as lying to us.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I never said we did. I'm just saying that Wayforward may not have judged the situation clearly and might risk getting the fanbase's hopes up too soon.

It's one thing for fans themselves to do it, that's fine, but the way they've worded things with that hashtag right after Sakurai got done saying that the five dlc characters have already been decided was..... unwise to say the least as it confuses people.

I mean, I didn't even mind the call to action, but implying that she has a shot at the first 5 that way isn't the right kind if information, unless Sakurai as lying to us.
To his defense, he did say it was 'jokey', and took that tweet down because of the confusion.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
To his defense, he did say it was 'jokey', and took that tweet down because of the confusion.
Yeah, but that's my point. The call to action was fine, but I don't think they thought it out swell. And it's already becoming something of a trend, so now folks may get disappointed and whatnot needlessly.

By all means, I will still campaign hard for her in the hopes of Season 2 dlc till the end.

But as for Wayforward, admittedly it's been rather frustrating. I'm glad that they're glad for the Spirit thing. Don't fault them one iota.

But I don't condone mishandling the fans' hype that way, mistake or otherwise.

Do we have any actual confirmation that the 5 characters have already been decided? Sakurai did say that the base roster was decided early on but he didn't say anything about when the dlc characters were decided iirc.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I made this for the #ShantaeForSmashDLC campaign. Feel free to use it.View attachment 175434
Thats some good work there. Will use it for sure.

I dobt anything they are doing is intentionally hurting or insulting ninte do or sakurai. I feel that of anything, they asked sakurai if there was a chance for shantae to be in smash as dlc, and he propbably said yes, but it was still up in the air. If they said no, then i am sure wayforward would have tild use we only are getting her as a spirit. They are quite up front to us.

I wouldn't mind, she looks cool, in a case that I don't get Saber from the Fate series in Smash, I'll gladly accept her into Smash.
Man Saber or any fate character would be amazing(tamamo or nero please?), but since sony co owns or produces or somehow gets money for fate grand order i doubt that will happen. Katalina looks like she would be fun at least

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Do we have any actual confirmation that the 5 characters have already been decided? Sakurai did say that the base roster was decided early on but he didn't say anything about when the dlc characters were decided iirc.
They said Rex couldn't be in because of the timing, right as they were talking about dlc. So while it's not clear, most people take it to mean that he couldn't be in dlc, which means they've already decided who it is.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
We've got more details on Spirits here:

Some spirits can evolve (example given is Naked Snake to Big Boss), you can have duplicate spirits and you can create spirits of your own by sacrificing certain ones.

I wonder if Shantae will be able to evolve? Maybe to her pirate persona, or one of the costumes in Half-Genie Hero?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
They deleted their first tweet and corrected it though. Doesn't sound too ambiguous.
I'm not talking about the tweet but about what Sakurai said; It's not 100% clear to some people wether he talks about the base roster only or about the DLCs as well. If he pushes us to use #ShantaeforsmashDLC it means that he thinks it's still possible to include her.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Why are we trying to determine if DLC is locked or not? It's pointless and misses the point of supporting in the first place. We do it to get her in the game and spread the joys of her character and series. Quit trying to overthink the odds, it only increases the risk of disappointment no matter what end you're on.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Given the past history of DLCs, I believe that the DLC characters were not chosen early on ( look at Corin last time ).

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Why are we trying to determine if DLC is locked or not? It's pointless and misses the point of supporting in the first place. We do it to get her in the game and spread the joys of her character and series. Quit trying to overthink the odds, it only increases the risk of disappointment no matter what end you're on.
What should we talk about then ?"yaaay Shantae for smash" all day long ? What do you call "supporting" exactly?
Talking in this thread and making it grow is a cute show of support in the first place. And it's good to know what everyone thinks, discuss, and try to figure out what we are stepping on.
But I agree that we may have to stop thinking too much ^^

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Saber or any fate character would be amazing(tamamo or nero please?), but since sony co owns or produces or somehow gets money for fate grand order i doubt that will happen. Katalina looks like she would be fun at least
Even though Fate Extalia was on Switch, with Extalia Link coming soon?

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Did you not see the past 500 pages of speculation?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
What should we talk about then ?"yaaay Shantae for smash" all day long ? What do you call "supporting" exactly?
Talking in this thread and making it grow is a cute show of support in the first place. And it's good to know what everyone thinks, discuss, and try to figure out what we are stepping on.
But I agree that we may have to stop thinking too much ^^
This entire thread grew the way it did because it thought too much. For a long time this thread was just one big conspiracy board.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
See it for yourself. It's up to interpretation (I saved the right time):
subtitles
To those arguing that Rex is lock in dlc, this video begs the question. Why make a mii fighter costume out of him, implying his fanbase couldn't wait?

As for the bit itself, Sakurai states that Rex didn't make it in, because they'd finished the character planning by that time.

Unless he was somehow talking about the base roster during what was clearly the dlc section, there you go.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
To those arguing that Rex is lock in dlc, this video begs the question. Why make a mii fighter costume out of him, implying his fanbase couldn't wait?

As for the bit itself, Sakurai states that Rex didn't make it in, because they'd finished the character planning by that time.

Unless he was somehow talking about the base roster during what was clearly the dlc section, there you go.
Yeah that's what I mean.
They talked about it in the dlc section so most people assume that it's about dlc.
It could be base roster and simply explaining that rex isn't in the base roster for that reason, and a mii costume could be a waiting gift. Or it could be a consolation for him not being in dlc.

Right afterwards they say that they havent created the dlc characters yet.
Which to me almost counters it out and I dont know what to think anymore.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Did you not see the past 500 pages of speculation?
Yes, that was the age of speculation, when we knew the roster was locked and thus could only hope and theorize.

But that age is gone now. Until they announce they won't do any more DLC and it hasn't all been announced, the best thing to do now is just to raise our voices for support, not try to rationalize what's going to happen when it has proven to be unreliable at best. By all means take a break if you're feeling bummed for whatever reason, but thinking about the odds isn't going to help with that.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
They simply said, Rex couldn't make it into the base roster, because Xenoblade Chronicles 2 only first came up, after the planning of Smash Bros Ultimate was already completed.
Simply put, Xenoblade 2 came too late, so Rex couldn't make it into base roster.
So they made him a MII Costume instead.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes, that was the age of speculation, when we knew the roster was locked and thus could only hope and theorize.

But that age is gone now. Until they announce they won't do any more DLC and it hasn't all been announced, the best thing to do now is just to raise our voices for support, not try to rationalize what's going to happen when it has proven to be unreliable at best. By all means take a break if you're feeling bummed for whatever reason, but thinking about the odds isn't going to help with that.
I dont know why you expect people to understand this as if it's obvious. You can talk more about it if you think it's important, but people dont suddenly change after 500 pages of being a certain way. We ALWAYS could've supported more for dlc, and not think or worry about her chances for base.

The age of speculation has ended? Now suddenly because there' dlc it's support time?
What if the dlc is already locked in? Oh we dont know? well we didn't know before too. Dlc was pretty guaranteed, imo.

They simply said, Rex couldn't make it into the base roster, because Xenoblade Chronicles 2 only first came up, after the planning of Smash Bros Ultimate was already completed.
Simply put, Xenoblade 2 came too late, so Rex couldn't make it into base roster.
So they made him a MII Costume instead.
They never said base roster, and it was in the section for dlc that they talked about it., that's the thing.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
They never said base roster, and it was in the section for dlc that they talked about it., that's the thing.
Oh come on, use your head!
When was the roster of Smash Bros Ultimate finalized? 2015 or 2016.
When did Xenoblade Chronicles 2 come out? December 2017, aka almost a year ago.
And you seriously think they already thought about DLC back then?

Rex was simply in the rough middle.
He was too late, since they were already in the middle of development when he came up.
And yet it was way before they even thought about DLC.
So MII Costume it was for him.

Top Bottom