• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I always have been supportive of Shantae and will always be. I'm just sharing my thoughts on the recent direct which I think is ok since we are here to discuss it as well, unless you want all the messages from this thread to be like that " yay Shantae ftw <3 "
And don't get me wrong I still love this game so much of course = Having problems in a couple does not mean you don't love each other anymore :p
After everything we've went through, frustrations are completely understandable.
Most of us still havent gotten over it (me too).

Learning to manage our feelings is part of the process. Better when we dont make a mess of things, as much as we can, of course.
This **** has been pretty intense in the last weeks. Lots of people were let down. Getting back to appreciate what's there and hope for future content can take a little bit.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This is Sakurai we're talking about here. The man who made a Piranha Plant playable.

Just because someone says *insert character here* cannot work doesn't mean Sakurai does.
Exactly. Sakurai can make an effective moveset for anything, given enough time. And I doubt Steve would take more than a week of in depth thinking.

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
Here how I see it

-banjo
-steve
-sora
-elma
-bandana dee

Why put a dragon quest while one of the things in sakurai’s room resembles a KH symbol?
While i hate to admit it, Verg isn't just getting lucky. He's got inside knowledge. If he says the first three are a square rep, Granblue rep, and Microsoft rep / Microsoft content, I believe him until he's proven wrong by reveals. I chose Dragon Quest over Sora due to it's popularity in Japan, history with Nintendo, and the fact that supposedly the first DLC character is going to appear at the VGAs where Dragon Quest 11 is most likely going to win several awards. It could be Sora, but I think a Dragon Quest rep is more likely. I also don't really suscribe to room theories, anymore.

I dont see Microsoft getting two separate dlc reps. It's some combination of Steve, Banjo, and their stages.

The first party rep could be anyone, but until we see who all the spirits are, I'm not going to predict a character. And while Elma would be cool, half of the games have had a Fire Emblem promotional character so I think that's likely.

Like I said though, I do think we'll get a season 2 with more popular spirit characters getting promoted to playable status. I just think the majority of the first set of DLC characters will be way more promotional in nature.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Something I thought of; being part of the adventure mode means Shantae will be noticed by anyone playing it, since these encounters are most likely fixed. No pesky RNG to get in the way.

D

Deleted member

Dose anyone know who sung the lyrics for life light? They sound familiar........

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
QUOTE="Connorb0t2, post: 22658962, member: 405306"]Dose anyone know who sung the lyrics for life light? They sound familiar........[/QUOTE]
It was actually Cristina Vee herself who did that voice from what I hear!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Something I thought of; being part of the adventure mode means Shantae will be noticed by anyone playing it, since these encounters are most likely fixed. No pesky RNG to get in the way.
I hope it's not just an optional quest, or at least that it's in a common place that'll get exposure.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
This is Sakurai we're talking about here. The man who made a Piranha Plant playable.

Just because someone says *insert character here* cannot work doesn't mean Sakurai does.
But a Piranha Plant makes more sense than Steve though. The Mario franchise has enough material to justify the possibilities. We know they're mobile, their leaves are actually their arms, not to mention that signature bite of theirs. It's imaginative. Steve I just can't think of anything without the clunky block spam.

I think Minecraft will get at least some representation in the game, it actually kind of deserves it, but I'd think a spirit of Steve would probably be the route they'd go, and it's really the best one at that.
I never said there wouldn't any form of Minecraft content. I personally hope to see an Enderman trophy lol

Teeb147

Smash Legend
But a Piranha Plant makes more sense than Steve though. The Mario franchise has enough material to justify the possibilities. We know they're mobile, their leaves are actually their arms, not to mention that signature bite of theirs. It's imaginative. Steve I just can't think of anything without the clunky block spam.

I never said there wouldn't any form of Minecraft content. I personally hope to see an Enderman trophy lol
With game n watch and rob being there, Steve would be no problem. And minecraft is popular. That said, I'd rather he not be in, but it's still possible.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
This feels really juvenile and naive to say when most of here arent in the industry and arent involved in a series/game as BIG as Smash as the Director of said game/series.
Well I don't find it very professional to always dwell on it. No other game developer has ever done that before, and I can tell you that such huge games as Xenoblade Chronicles 2 probably took at least as much time to do ( if not probably more ). I know smash bros is a huge project coming with lots of pressure which none of us can relate to, but still, this is his own choice to go for it. We are not talking about a volunteering job but something he gets paid for.
And about managing emotions, I'm perfectly aware of my frustrations and don't put them in the way of my thoughts and words.

TJKBird

Smash Cadet
While i hate to admit it, Verg isn't just getting lucky. He's got inside knowledge. If he says the first three are a square rep, Granblue rep, and Microsoft rep / Microsoft content, I believe him until he's proven wrong by reveals. I chose Dragon Quest over Sora due to it's popularity in Japan, history with Nintendo, and the fact that supposedly the first DLC character is going to appear at the VGAs where Dragon Quest 11 is most likely going to win several awards. It could be Sora, but I think a Dragon Quest rep is more likely. I also don't really suscribe to room theories.

I dont see Microsoft getting two separate dlc reps. It's some combination of Steve, Banjo, and their stages.

The first party rep could be anyone, but until we see who all the spirits are, I'm not going to predict a character. And while Elma would be cool, half of the games have had a Fire Emblem promotional character so I think that's likely.

Like I said though, I do think we'll get a season 2 with more popular spirit characters getting promoted to playable status. I just think the majority of the first set of DLC characters will be way more promotional in nature.
Just so we don't spread misinformation, Verg himself did not leak the Granblue character or say for certain that Steve is in that was another leaker that Verg says has been credible in the past and he has discussed with them to cross reference stuff. Verg's sources has only confirmed a Square Enix rep and Minecraft representation of some kind, he has not been told anything definitive regarding the Minecraft content and hasn't heard anything about the Granblue character. Source

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
With game n watch and rob being there, Steve would be no problem. And minecraft is popular. That said, I'd rather he not be in, but it's still possible.
No offense but so is Fortnite and I doubt we're gonna see anyone from there doing disco fever in Smash anytime soon.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
What do you guys suggest we Isaac bros do from here? We seem to be back and forth with assist trophy promotion and I think our best course would be to rally for Matthew or Felix to get in as DLC.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well I don't find it very professional to always dwell on it. No other game developer has ever done that before, and I can tell you that such huge games as Xenoblade Chronicles 2 probably took at least as much time to do ( if not probably more ). I know smash bros is a huge project coming with lots of pressure which none of us can relate to, but still, this is his own choice to go for it. We are not talking about a volunteering job but something he gets paid for.
And about managing emotions, I'm perfectly aware of my frustrations and don't put them in the way of my thoughts and words.
I dont think he dwells on it. I think maybe youre sensitive to that 'bit'. Maybe he really needs a break too. It's not like he's saying it's anyone's fault or anything.
He is under his own pressure to make a great game. I think a lot of people can understand that. It's not really comparable, since everyone does and feels differently. It's like someone sighing, it's not directed at whoever's hears it.

Also, there's no point in debating this, because it's not really important, and I think it matters to you because of how you feel. Anyway. I think it's normal if you feel frustrated. It's just worth making sense of your feelings maybe.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Wow i am gone for maybe 3 hours and we almost gain 3 pages. no sign of slowing down still huh? Perhaps we can pass the Isaac thread/

And since they are toys, who's to say there cannot be duplicates along with their spirits?

So now I'm gonna list my Shantae spirit/fighter combos I promised earlier today:

Sky: Yoshi, uses up special a lot along with Poke Balls that summon bird-like Pokemon
Bolo: Someone beat me to this, but yeah. Richter who trips a lot and is stunned by female assists.
Rottytops: Ridley. Uses forward tilt a lot. Stamina battle, but Ridley revives if not pushed offstage quickly, and speed is increased.
Risky Boots: Wolf. Uses his specials more, also has a Killing Edge.
Techno Baron: King K. Rool. He is tiny and flees from battle, but is accompanied by a giant Palutena.
Ammo Baron: Bowser. Has an infinitely spawning team of small Bowsers, all have permanent jetpacks. The main one just hovers behind his team while they attack.
Squid Baron: King Dedede. Alternates between using up special and dash attack. Food spawns periodically
Holly: Pokemon Trainer (Leaf). Uses a giant Ivysaur. Explosive items only.
Dagron: Ridley (again). Giant and jumps high in the air before descending to attack, then flies up again.
Warrior guy: Simon. Black silhouette and giant, but only uses moves involving punches and kicks.
Thats true. This could also explain in universe multiple of the same character in a fight and those alt colors too! Multiple toys or other veriants of the toy!

The Verge leak of the Granblue character makes perfect sense. Two of the 7 DLC characters for Smash 4 were promotional (unless you believe Bayo really won the ballot), combined with the fact that Nintendo has been worming their way into the mobile market with FE:H and DL, a GBF character almost feels inevitable. Mobages are disgustingly massive in Japan, and GBF characters can easily fit into Dragalia Lost, combined with the fact that Sakurai clearly has no issue giving up fighter slots for promotional purposes everything comes together to create an extremely disappointing roster pick which was exactly what I suspected, only I thought it would be Fire Emblem again.

I don't know you guys, this combined with PP on top of Wayforward seeming to accept the sticker is as far as Shantae goes does not make me feel good about her being DLC, even IF Sprits =/= deconfirmation.
Yeah I don't beleive for a second Bayonetta actually won the ballot. I feel Ridley or K Rool did, shantae easily being in top 10. Thats why she got a spirit and is most likely in talks for DLC. perhaps Sakurai didn't want to put too many 3rd parties in the base roster, just konami and ken.

Katalina makes perfect sense for those reasons though. I will say I kinda wish Saber had a shot, but Sony has close ties to the fate series so i doubt that would ever happen. I love Fate Grand Order...

However, i don't think that hurts Shantae's chances. Wayforward is always willing to work with nintendo and love them, so they could have other plans tied with this deal too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un44CDKDqIY

Chrom is playable and is STILL in Robin's Final Smash ? wtf...

Every logical outcome we can come up with ends up being false anyway ...
And it's pretty lazy
Again, same with with Peach & Daisy's FSs
EDIT : look around 1:57
Well thats Just lazy... but I actually like Peach and Daisy's FS. Its super unique and actually really helpful. At least they gave Daisy flowers instead of Peachs... wish they actually changed the turnips to carrots to be more Sarasara land like.

Apparently the internet ate my actual post earlier... I've seen bits of footage for the PS4 Granblue and it's on my radar of games I want! So a magical rapier wielding female fighter is A+ material in my book! I don't see why certain people are giving her a hard time, I think she'd be cool!
I think its due to being from a Gatcha game. That is a reasonable counter for it. I think she would be cool, and I don't think she hurts shantae at all.

Here you go. :)
View attachment 175143

Sora, Banjo, Edelgard, a character from Granblue Fantasy, a retro maybe...
Love that artwork, who did it?

I don't think we should be too worried about the Minecraft content. Sakurai only adds fighters that he thinks works and is unique enough from the rest and Steve, dude swings pickaxes and shoot arrows. Of course he can stack blocks, that would admittedly be his one unique trait, but I can't help but feel any attempt to make that an ability would be too clunky and game breaking.
I would have agreed with you... but Sakurai made a Piranha plant playable. If that can be playable, then Steve can.

Right now I am guessing/hoping steve is just a Mii costume. that fits minecraft content

Teeb147

Smash Legend
No offense but so is Fortnite and I doubt we're gonna see anyone from there doing disco fever in Smash anytime soon.
Is fortnite even popular in japan?
But also, it all depends on what nintendo feels like doing. Minecraft is kid friendly, nintendo is kid friendly. maybe that's enough reason, or maybe they wanted to get something from microsoft, i mean who knows. why does it matter. And we dont even know if it's true or not, it's just based on verge, which may have more weight to it now, but could still be wrong, and as far as i know it's not necessarily steve either.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Can we talk about how creepy yuri's assist is?
BTW what's this about a granblue character?
Yeah, that's to be expected, since she's from a horror game series.

And, um, I dunno why that was brought up actually.
It would be really cool though. :)
Love that artwork, who did it?
It was done by one, "AutomaticGiraffe". I have no idea what that could mean, but here's a link. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While i hate to admit it, Verg isn't just getting lucky. He's got inside knowledge. If he says the first three are a square rep, Granblue rep, and Microsoft rep / Microsoft content, I believe him until he's proven wrong by reveals. I chose Dragon Quest over Sora due to it's popularity in Japan, history with Nintendo, and the fact that supposedly the first DLC character is going to appear at the VGAs where Dragon Quest 11 is most likely going to win several awards. It could be Sora, but I think a Dragon Quest rep is more likely. I also don't really suscribe to room theories.

Let me object you in a calm way

1.there was something that might resemble a KH symbol in sakurai’s room
1E92F467-9ADC-4422-9AAD-72DC1A93311F.jpeg

2.verge and some other dude said Steve? Was in and papagenos papagenos had a trusted source that said banjo is in so both of them are coming to represent Microsoft as playable fighters. plus phill and sakurai both wanted banjo so yeah

3.there was a lack of xenoblade X content in it so they’re Saving it for Elma and sakurai knows there’s too many fire emblem characters. Also there was no bandana dee spirit except for a regular waddle dee

4.:ultpiranha: Is my new main I am part of the plant gang now. And you will not escape me from my leafy wrath! Muahahahahaha!!!!!!!:demon:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I would have agreed with you... but Sakurai made a Piranha plant playable. If that can be playable, then Steve can.

Right now I am guessing/hoping steve is just a Mii costume. that fits minecraft content
Piranha Plant has fluidity on his side though. Steve as a block shaped human is lucky if he can bend down enough to touch his knees let alone his feet O_o

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
What do you guys suggest we Isaac bros do from here? We seem to be back and forth with assist trophy promotion and I think our best course would be to rally for Matthew or Felix to get in as DLC.
Campaigning Golden Sun in general?
But Isaac makes more sense still, considering the popularity already there. Do you really think you can reach all isaac supporters and say promote the other ones instead? Better to focus on isaac, in my opinion at least. Or golden sun in general, i suppose.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Um, well you'd kind of be better off creating a Matthew/and or Felix thread then...

But, I just want to see a Mia thread, please. :p
I agree with dylly, you should campaign Mia ;)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Found another really, REALLY REALLY good shantae spirit art just now! BTW, should I post the twitter or direct image post is better? I'll do both this time

Shantae spirit.jpg

Let me object you in a calm way

1.there was something that might resemble a KH symbol in sakurai’s room
View attachment 175163

2.verge and some other dude said Steve? Was in and papagenos papagenos had a trusted source that said banjo is in so both of them are coming to represent Microsoft as playable fighters. plus phill and sakurai both wanted banjo so yeah

3.there was a lack of xenoblade X content in it so they’re Saving it for Elma and sakurai knows there’s too many fire emblem characters. Also there was no bandana dee spirit except for a regular waddle dee

4.:ultpiranha: Is my new main I am part of the plant gang now. And you will not escape me from my leafy wrath! Muahahahahaha!!!!!!!:demon:
Holy **** more room leaks lol. I mean that really does look KH related for sure, and I do think of all the SE reps, its gonna be out of 3: Geno, Sora, and Dragon Quest Slime. I feel like we will first hear about it at the game awards, if that rumor is true. Don't expect anything more then just a very breif tease like just the model like with mewtwo.

Piranha Plant has fluidity on his side though. Steve as a block shaped human is lucky if he can bend down enough to touch his knees let alone his feet O_o
haha, thats true. Also why I am pulling for just a mii fighter outfit

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Found another really, REALLY REALLY good shantae spirit art just now! BTW, should I post the twitter or direct image post is better? I'll do both this time

View attachment 175165

Holy **** more room leaks lol. I mean that really does look KH related for sure, and I do think of all the SE reps, its gonna be out of 3: Geno, Sora, and Dragon Quest Slime. I feel like we will first hear about it at the game awards, if that rumor is true. Don't expect anything more then just a very breif tease like just the model like with mewtwo.

Dont think it'd sora (disney's pretty complicated). Also, nobody should pay attention to room hints after it didnt amount to anything last time.
Also, nice art, though I wouldve toned down some of the assets there..

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I dont think he dwells on it. I think maybe youre sensitive to that 'bit'. Maybe he really needs a break too. It's not like he's saying it's anyone's fault or anything.
He is under his own pressure to make a great game. I think a lot of people can understand that. It's not really comparable, since everyone does and feels differently. It's like someone sighing, it's not directed at whoever's hears it.

Also, there's no point in debating this, because it's not really important, and I think it matters to you because of how you feel. Anyway. I think it's normal if you feel frustrated. It's just worth making sense of your feelings maybe.
Yeah to summ up I'd say that everyone has a different reception of things and I'm glad I was able to share my point of view and hear other's opinions on that matter ^^ That's how we make this thread so big after all anyway :p

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah to summ up I'd say that everyone has a different reception of things and I'm glad I was able to share my point of view and hear other's opinions on that matter ^^ That's how we make this thread so big after all anyway :p
There's certainly nothing wrong with expressing things, including feelings. It's unfortunate that sometimes they get tangled and how we take things is pretty different from others or how things make most sense, but that's the sucky part. It's great being able to share with everyone, and get different perspectives.
Also, it really speeds up brainstorming in some cases :p

D

Deleted member

View attachment 175165

Ohhhhh boy.......her recognizability.........it’s growing.......ITS GROWING!!!!!!

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
There's certainly nothing wrong with expressing things, including feelings. It's unfortunate that sometimes they get tangled and how we take things is pretty different from others or how things make most sense, but that's the sucky part. It's great being able to share with everyone, and get different perspectives.
Also, it really speeds up brainstorming in some cases :p
I have been slightly annoyed with his attitude regarding that for a while and I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who once again rolled their eyes at that the other day ^^ I repsect you guys' opinion and in that perspective I wouldn't say that mine makes more sense. :)

Pakky

Smash Hero
Being real with you I can see her in season 1 or 2 as DLC.

I KNEW she would have some presence in Smash but still, the level of secrecy seems to warrant more.

Spirits, don't deconfirm you as a character.

Getting in the door is a big accomplishment.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
I'm naming my PP Steve. And if people gets why I naming it Steve I tip my imaginary hat towards you. (the only thing I'm saying is it's not Steve from Minecraft as the name.)

I'm still going to hope and support her for smash. Maybe she can/will be DLC. We just need cool heads, and not raged because she didn't make it in as DLC. It's amazing she is even mentioned in the game at all.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm naming my PP Steve. And if people gets why I naming it Steve I tip my imaginary hat towards you. (the only thing I'm saying is it's not Steve from Minecraft as the name.)

I'm still going to hope and support her for smash. Maybe she can/will be DLC. We just need cool heads, and not raged because she didn't make it in as DLC. It's amazing she is even mentioned in the game at all.
I understood that reference.

Glad to see you're not giving up hope.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Not sure if brought up, but I had a thought. What do you guys think we'll get for beating Classic and All-Star modes? Those modes usually reward you trophies, so are we getting spirits for the main cast?

If so, that blows the whole "spirits can't be fighters" argument right out of the water.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Getting in the door is a big accomplishment.
I mean, just seeing her in Smash, is really cool. :)

It's still quite a big accomplishment for her, and Wayforward.
I don't know who that could be. I'm going to dwell on this for a long time.

Top Bottom