• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
*shrug*

I honestly am speechless... and not in a good way. With Isaac and Shantae basically out of the running, I don't know what to do now. I'm just... frustrated they would confirm him like that after this long. As for Shantae, it's the same scenario and it's honestly frustrating.
Geno is a spirit. He wasn't even shown in a direct way like Shantae. Geno was just barely seen in a passing menu.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Given that every character under the sun is a Spirit, I think it's safe to assume that most are still viable options for DLC characters. We also don't know how many seasons of DLC there will be. I mean, given that Sakurai's been working on Smash almost non-stop for several years now, it might just be the one. In fact I'd be surprised if there's another, but I'm not going to rule it out as Sakurai might be willing to work on more and go all out before dropping Smash for a decade if not altogether.

Also Piranha Plant is adorable and I love him.

Sakurai certainly outdid himself on the surprise/joke/wtf character. That was the last thing I was expecting to see.
Yeah it seriously took me almost to the end of the trailer before it sunk in that Piranha Plant wasn't an elaborate joke.

You make a good point about Spirit characters too, if they were all deconfirmed, there would be practically nothing left over for DLC. Except for, well, a piranha plant I guess.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
According to Twitter comments, one of the fighters was shown as a spirit?

Someone mind helping me analyze the direct again to see who it was?

If this is true, then Shantae ain't out yet.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Boy, a lot of disappointing things to take away... So when it comes to DLC characters he said they would be making them from scratch, so anyone who would likely be an echo are off the table (tho I could see that changing)

I don't want to have on anyone, but Incineroar was such a terrible choice (and this is come from a big Pokemon fan) we already have a fully evolved fire starter and Incineroar doesn't have the mass appeal that Greninja had. Like pretty much everyone agreed that Greninja was the best starter of it's generation, and those that didn't still liked him. But Incineroar... Let's put it this way, I was all set to pick litten in Soon and Moon then the final evolutions leaked and I was so against believing them, then they were real and I switched to poplio...

As for Spirits, the game mode looks clever and will probably be fun, using spirits in game seems kind of pointless tho as it reminds me of the equipment from 4 that I never bothered with. Most disappointing of all tho is that traditional trophies won't be around this time. I know they took a lot of time, but they were so cool to look at. All these copy paste png files just won't compare. Like they couldn't just port all the ones from 4 just so we could still look at them?

So many characters done in as an assist trophy, Tiki, Issac...

And of course, the Shantae Spirit... I mean, there are no rules set on what could happen with a spirit (and memories rush in of Mewtwo and Lucas being trophies before dlc). But man... If this turns out to be all she gets... Her AND Dixie?!..

I mean I know this game will still be fun and worth playing (Squirtle was enough to make me hey another smash game) but man this direct had really nothing for me and honestly hurt my opinion if the game a little rather than helping.

Also piranha plant what?! Boy, there really is no telling with Sakurai...

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
Honestly im still gonna get the game, the story mode looks interesting (even if sakurais character is going to save the day again just like in brawl), the roster is still good, and like everyone's said, she may still be dlc, like lucas and mewtwo were for smash 4. after all spirits replace trophies now, so there is still hope. not to mention the Official wayforward account hasnt said anything yet, so theres still a glimmer.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
So which of the top Ballot characters are spirits right now?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I don't want to have on anyone, but Incineroar was such a terrible choice (and this is come from a big Pokemon fan) we already have a fully evolved fire starter and Incineroar doesn't have the mass appeal that Greninja had. Like pretty much everyone agreed that Greninja was the best starter of it's generation, and those that didn't still liked him. But Incineroar... Let's put it this way, I was all set to pick litten in Soon and Moon then the final evolutions leaked and I was so against believing them, then they were real and I switched to poplio...
Umm, at least he's a cat, right? Cats are good...

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Yeah I guess we're stuck here till DLC drops hahaha.

I don't know you guys, even if we got taken out, we weren't the only ones. Let's just laugh it off and look forward to Ultimate, she's in!........as a spirit lol

Wwlink55

Smash Ace

Sorry if this is inappropriate, and feel free to delete the image...but its almost shockingly accurate to how the Smash community feels right now.

Did anyone win this speculation scene? Anyone?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
So let's see. The ballot characters that aren't Assist Trophies are so far to my memory.
Shantae
Geno
…...
Can someone fill in the rest?

EDIT: Oh and Mii Fighters costume also deconfirms character since Sakurai did state this about Rex.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It seems weird that WF would be silent all this time just for a spirit.

The way they reacted makes me think she isn't in with DLC. But they havent responded to questions about her in smash, so it's hard to tell

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Alright so far more update:
Shantae
Geno
Banjo-Kazooie
Sora

Was Mach Rider high in the ballot?

A1Again

Smash Cadet
About 10:05, male Wii Fit Trainer was shown. I'll post if anything else is shown.

Literally breathed a sigh of relief when I saw she was a Spirit and not an AT. After all Mewtwo was a regular trophy in Smash 4 and he was that game's FIRST dlc character. Time to start a new hashtag I guess, #ShantaeForSmashDlc. Anyway it sucks that box theory ended up being true and I still think Kencineroar was the absolute WORST note to end on but Spirits Mode more than makes up for that. We have an even longer road ahead of us but I ain't bowing out, let's keep this train running everyone!

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I think I gotta step away for a bit as well. I was thinking I was going to be a bit too hyped to really focus on other things for the next week, but now im just really unsure how to feel. If at least a few others had a chance to be happy it would have been nice, but it just feels like nobody at all won that direct.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Oh and Skull Kid is deconfirmed because he is now an Assist Trophy.

So yeah that is another ballot person out of the running.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
According to Twitter comments, one of the fighters was shown as a spirit?

Someone mind helping me analyze the direct again to see who it was?

If this is true, then Shantae ain't out yet.
Well this is the way to go in order to keep speculation going.

It's still quite a let down, and i hope WF and Matt respond to questions now. But if not, does it mean she's still possibly more than spirit?

D

Deleted member

Well looks like Shantae is a spirit. Now Spirits are basically the new trophies and Mewtwo still made it as DLC in Smash Wii U despite being a trophy beforehand. So technically it's still possible, but I don't find it likely. If nothing else, at least some recognition of her was made in the game.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I think that since Spirits are basicaly trophies ith more functions We STILL have a chance!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
1541086792524.png

Yep I can confirmed that Male Wii Fit Trainer is also a Spirit.

Shantae's chances for DLC has gone up thanks to this.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
So right now for Ballots that aren't Assist Trophies are:
Shantae
Geno
Sora
Banjo-Kazooie
Rayman

Anyone else I am missing?

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I still have hope :) We NEED to keep supporting her, now more than ever !!
Im sure all of us are excited to jump in and support. To be honest, though... I think a lot of us need a bit of time to recover. There's being a bit disappointed, and then there's not having a real reason to be happy. Can't even try to get together with our friends over on the Isaac or Geno boards to be happy because they got hit hard too.

I'll be able to swing back around, but I'd be lying if I said I was in a good mood to just jump straight back into things. We won't really know much until after release, anyhow.

We should at least start a Discord and invite some of the other threads. There's a lot of good people here.

Last edited:

GoodShepperd

Smash Apprentice
Oh and Skull Kid is deconfirmed because he is now an Assist Trophy.

So yeah that is another ballot person out of the running.
where was skull kid's assis trophy? There are two skull kid spirits, one with the mask (at 16:49 attached to dark samus) and one without (at 15:20 in a menu screen), I didn't see his assist trophy anywhere

I def have mixed feelings about the direct, and man what a bummer for Shantae to get shown as a spirit in the very last second of the direct after surviving the assist trophy section and the spirits mode reveal. Here's to hoping that doesn't disqualify her as dlc

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Flashing back to arguing in favor of the box theory. Turns out my gut was right back then.
My gut about Incineroar was wrong :/

But at least my discernment about the banner leak was right. Not sure Im glad about it tho cuz i wanted more characters.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master

Don't give up hope just yet, the sparks are still flickering. We can still save the light that remains to us and also to the other communities.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Kind of weird how Wayforward was so vocal about Shantae in the Smash Ballot, went completely quiet during Smash Ultimate's development, made a Jammies mode that hints at Ultimate, forbid Shantae from appearing in Indie Fighting games, all that for a glorified sticker! Well, at least there's DLC to look forward to, but Wayforward's behavior was implying that she was in the base roster. They were quiet since 2016 and they wanted Shantae as a DLC playable character in Smash 4. How'd she miss her chance?

Top Bottom