• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Oh well but hey there is still DLC. Remember Mewtwo's Smash 4 trophy? Well he became DLC so maybe WayForward's silence is because she is one of the 5 DLC characters we will be getting next year.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Shantae is in Smash!
....As a Spirit.
I guess this begs the question on whether being a Spirit is deconfirmation, I mean like Sakurai just murdered a ton of Smash hopefuls including Octolings who I considered a DLC lock. . Will Wayforward finally speak out now?

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
1. I feel soooooo bad for Isaac and Shadow fans.
2. Who expected that at the end? Not even the so called insiders leaked it out!
3. So Shantae's a spirit? Can we still campaign for DLC? I mean, she's not technically out.
She still has hope!

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
wow so uh........................................

.....**** this game

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, Gamefaqs are sure going to be laughing for a month...

Damn, Spirit. I mean, I'm glad she's in, but still. Also, I feel like if we don't see any DLC updates for the current indie fighting games, I have some questions for WayForward lol
If so, they were silently mourning her this entire time. Let's just be praying until then.

Now hold on everyone REMEMBER Mwtwo in Smash 4 started out as trophy TOO before being DLC and the Spirits are essentially this game's replacements for trophies!
Yeah, I didn't actually think the spirits were trophy equivalents, and not stickers. Guess Sakurai really was tired of making trophies (I don't blame him there, really).

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Well, she is not going to be a fighter. Check Matt's Twitter. This is a load of Bull F******* Dog S***. A freaking sticker...... A F****** Sticker. THAT IS ALL SHE IS? A series that has been with Nintendo since 2002 gets a sticker.......
Screw this game, I would have rather her not even be mentioned in this game period for her to be treated like this.
I'm so mad.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Well I'm a little disappointed... but life goes on! And hey, DLC is still a thing.
But for now let me listen to a sad Japanese man singing on repeat for an hour to make me feel better :D

logicandreason

Smash Journeyman
i want to believe she's a dlc fighter, but its hard to tell now. I don't think wayforward would hype us this much for a glorified sticker from brawl, but they are tweeting it now, but also since she was technically reveled to be in the game the nda might be mute. however that still doesn't explain why she's not in other indie fighting games like indiepogo when she's clearly a wanted fighter for them. Im so confused.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Hey! You're a Spirit! Sure, it's not a playable character! Or an assist trophy. Or a Mii costume...

But hey, they know she exists!

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I can't stop laughing, I've been in a laughing fit for the last 20 minutes, EVERYONE GOT DECONFIRMED. Dixie, Isaac, Chibi Robo, Black Knight, Ray, Spring Man, and EVERYONE ELSE ON THE GRINCH LEAK. And us too!

I CANT STOP LAUGHING

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
While I really wish it was something larger (either a character or even an assist) I am really happy that Shantae is still being acknowledged in game.

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
Ha ha ha!! I guess theirs still DLC but yeah I can't have anything that i want. It is what it is... Still stings though.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
...................ugh

Well, you guys are right, DLC is still a hope, and at least they acknowledge she exists, but this was quite discouraging.

Most importantly for now, did I understand Sakurai correctly at the end? Are there really only going to be five DLC fighters? Considering they picked a literal ****ing piranha plant as the first one, I am a lot less hopeful about DLC than I was before this Direct.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Man...

The fun little trio of Isaac, Shantae, and Geno got crushed hard this direct.

Isaac is just an assist trophy, while Shantae and Geno are spirits.

While im happy they are there at all...that really, really takes the wind out of my sails.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Given that every character under the sun is a Spirit, I think it's safe to assume that most are still viable options for DLC characters. We also don't know how many seasons of DLC there will be. I mean, given that Sakurai's been working on Smash almost non-stop for several years now, it might just be the one. In fact I'd be surprised if there's another, but I'm not going to rule it out as Sakurai might be willing to work on more and go all out before dropping Smash for a decade if not altogether.

Also Piranha Plant is adorable and I love him.

Sakurai certainly outdid himself on the surprise/joke/wtf character. That was the last thing I was expecting to see.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
So..... anyone still buying the game? I mean I do have Ridley and two Belmonts + Zero Suit Samus with exposed skin. Can't ignore that.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
...................ugh

Well, you guys are right, DLC is still a hope, and at least they acknowledge she exists, but this was quite discouraging.

Most importantly for now, did I understand Sakurai correctly at the end? Are there really only going to be five DLC fighters? Considering they picked a literal ****ing piranha plant as the first one, I am a lot less hopeful about DLC than I was before this Direct.
The plant is a bonus. so there's still 5 characters.
It's a pass, so there might be another one after the first year.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I honestly have a hard time placing my thoughts right now.
I haven't had many hopes or wishes... but the ones I had, no matter how small, got thoroughly crushed.
Every single one of them.

But at least she's there... Whatever that means? Idk.
This is just so weird to me.

My smallest hope was to know if there was a single-player mode or challenge modes that on its own I'd be interested enough in to get back into smash, since I couldn't really get into Brawl or Smash 4. Shantae would easily be the homerun wish fo rme.
Instead I'm just left with way more questions than anticipated.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see... More waiting.... yay.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
...................ugh

Pirahna Plant is separate from the other 5 DLC.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well Piranha Plant is the most WTF character Sakurai could do, and he always adds one wtf. I have a feeling the plant was planned for base game, but they didn't have the time to finish it, so we get it for free.

We know we still have 5 more fighters coming as DLC, so its still POSSIBLE we can get shantae as a fighter that way. I would assume spirits still have a shot because if not Sakurai really cut a ton of options off the table.

I will say, that World of Light trailer? freaking amazing. If anyone wants to watch it again here.

That music... that song. great

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
I think it's funny how the earlier reveals were kind of on a roll but this direct just fell on it's face. Shantae disappointment aside the only redeeming thing for me in this direct is the story mode everything else just annoyed me sorry piranha fans.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
*shrug*

I honestly am speechless... and not in a good way. With Isaac and Shantae basically out of the running, I don't know what to do now. I'm just... frustrated they would confirm him like that after this long. As for Shantae, it's the same scenario and it's honestly frustrating.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'm ****ing pissed. All those hints and radio silence for a glorified sticker? WayForward has some explaining to do.

Is anyone else massively disappointed by this Direct? This sure doesn't feel like the Ultimate Smash Bros.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
So..... anyone still buying the game? I mean I do have Ridley and two Belmonts + Zero Suit Samus with exposed skin. Can't ignore that.
I was going to buy on release, but at this point I would actually need thorough convincing to do that. The direct started at a sort of low note, and then it just went kind of lower and lower as it went on.

Im damn glad she got in, but man... TeamReal and TeamFake both got royally disappointed this direct. Even the legendary Genofans got absolutely jipped yet again.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Guys hope is not dead. Never ! Everything is possible. She is aknowledged in the damn game ! Besides, being a spirit doesn't mean she can't be a fighter later.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Of course. The roster is still pretty damn good. That spirits mode looks fun, and the game itself will still be a blast to play.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I'm ****ing pissed. All those hints and radio silence for a glorified sticker? WayForward has some explaining to do.

Is anyone else massively disappointed by this Direct? This sure doesn't feel like the Ultimate Smash Bros.
This game just overall sucks in my opinion. Smash 4 will die in a fire just like brawl did because people only see "OH LOOK NEW CHARACTERS" instead of gameplay that is fast, fluid, and technical. There is a reason people still play Melee and 64 even almost 20 years later, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT "GOOD" GAMES, THEY ARE "GREAT" GAMES.

Top Bottom