• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I just wanna say I loved the speculation on Shantae with you guys. I may not have participated much, but I always loved reading this thread.
You guys stay awesome, no matter what happens next. Hopefully most of you will keep sticking around ;)

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
By the way I don't think I mentioned it here before, so I wanted to share a good argument I saw someone make on Reddit for why Sakurai might pick Shantae over Shovel Knight for a playable character. I mean, there are lots of good reasons why, but this was a less obvious one that I had never thought of.

Shantae is just way more expressive than Shovel Knight.

Sakurai has clearly given a lot of attention to making characters as expressive as possible in Smash Ultimate. He even went so far as to draw attention to this specifically in the E3 Direct, showcasing Donkey Kong's different facial animations. It shows across a lot of different characters too.

Now go back and watch the footage of Shovel Knight's Assist Trophy. Shovel Knight looks great; it's an excellent 3D model, and it moves well and everything. But even so, Shovel Knight just looks a little stiff, and with that helmet on, there's just not a lot of room to convey emotion. When you play Shovel Knight, he still isn't that expressive, and even though I love him his personality is basically just "generic hero", but somehow you kind of read some emotion into the pixel art (which Yacht Club games is a master of). That limited expressiveness just doesn't come through in his 3D Smash model.

Shantae on the other hand was made to be expressive. Both her in-game personality and her character design just ooze with expressiveness. So her interesting

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
With FIVE MINUTES REMAINING I will go radio silence while I watch the Direct.

I wish us all good luck and SHANTAE IS LOVE AND SHANTAE IS LIFE!!!!!!!!

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Just some final thoughts.......it's been really fun, whether she's in or not I've enjoyed hanging out with other Shantae fans all these months. If anything, speculating Shantae has made me an even bigger fan of her since I got to pick apart every one of her games with extra attention to detail.

Thanks Wayforward but also like, if she's not in I really wanna know why they didn't tell us.

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
You know, whoever posted that GamingIntel link where they said Banjo-Kazooie was out of the base roster makes me fairly happy, because if they're out that means the grinch leak is already kill.
The leakers are in such disarray, I wouldn't set much stock by any one leak at this point. Besides, Grinch leak isn't even the end of the world for us, because even if Shantae isn't base roster, it basically eliminates the rest of her serious competition for DLC slots.

What would really suck is if we just get a couple underwhelming fighters and no Shantae today. Then people are gonna be clamoring for all seven of those as DLC.

zferolie

Smash Hero
See you on the otherside. Me comment during the direct once or twice if I can look away at all haha

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
This game blows. Slow, no tech, wave dash sucks, Ganon still bottom tier. I'll stick to PM. F*** this game

zferolie

Smash Hero
Well.... this seems a bit of a letdown in terms of spritis and fighters. No story mode, only 2 more fighters.... yeah

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Shantae survived the Assist Trophy slaughter! There's still hope for DLC.

RIP Issac. Sorry guys.

zferolie

Smash Hero
No Shantae Assist, but Isaac and Black Knight Deconfirmed. Also Spring man deconfirmed too...

Top Bottom