• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I want y'alls honest opinion. Do y'all think that Ultimate will be a good game? I think I may be in the extreme minority (as in 1/100000), but I don't think it will be much different than Smash 4. What did y'all think about Smash 4? To me, it was so slow and lacked a lot of fun movement that other games had. Ultimate just kind of looks like the same thing. Sure "wave dashing" is "back" but It's not even close to what it's full potential can be. The only thing that keeps me excited is Shantae.

I guess I'm wanting to ask, what is your opinion on Sm4sh/Ulitmate compared to the 64/Melee/PM?
I think it will be the best game in the series for 5 reasons:

1. Every character from the series is coming back.

2. Almost every stage from the series is coming back.

3. It's fast! Definitely the fastest Smash game behind Melee.

4. All the newcomers are the most highly requested characters in the franchise's history.

5. You can play it on the go.

Not only it has pretty much everything from every Smash, but all the good things from every Smash.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
TWO MOR MORE PAGES!!!!
Keep it up!!!
#ShantaeForSmash

On a more serious note what is the update with the Grinch leak?

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
I want y'alls honest opinion. Do y'all think that Ultimate will be a good game? I think I may be in the extreme minority (as in 1/100000), but I don't think it will be much different than Smash 4. What did y'all think about Smash 4? To me, it was so slow and lacked a lot of fun movement that other games had. Ultimate just kind of looks like the same thing. Sure "wave dashing" is "back" but It's not even close to what it's full potential can be. The only thing that keeps me excited is Shantae.

I guess I'm wanting to ask, what is your opinion on Sm4sh/Ulitmate compared to the 64/Melee/PM?
I think the overall fighting mechanic is fine it's been getting a lot better especially with smash4 and ultimate. Stages and characters choices are also Sakurai's strengths but i do think in other modes besides vs is where he falters. He does come up with good ideas but he replaces a lot of them without a good reason! Break the targets (Unique), board the platforms, boss battles, unique situations in classic mode/event matches, and obviously adventure mode though it might return. I get that he wants to focus more on the core vs fighting and i respect it but I do miss the nice attention to detail the earlier games had. And a lot of times when i finish playing vs mode it's like now what? Play smash tour?

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
You know what...I just had a thought that might make those of you on team real think a bit...

What if the banner is real...but it isn't the final roster?
That's exactly what I've been saying this whole time. :U

While not on any team, I have been leaning and believing that the leak is real, but not the final roster.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
That's exactly what I've been saying this whole time. :U

While not on any team, I have been leaning and believing that the leak is real, but not the final roster.
Yeah, we know there's definitely going to be DLC throughout Ultimate's life cycle.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
I think it will be the best game in the series for 5 reasons:

1. Every character from the series is coming back.

2. Almost every stage from the series is coming back.

3. It's fast! Definitely the fastest Smash game behind Melee.

4. All the newcomers are the most highly requested characters in the franchise's history.

5. You can play it on the go.

Not only it has pretty much everything from every Smash, but all the good things from every Smash.
Yes, while all those things are great, I feel like there is something inherently missing from it. I look at Smash 64 and Melee and see that the audience for those games are not only still kicking, but thriving. Even PM refuses to die. But then I look at Brawl and there is not to many people that still play it (beside playing the SSE). Now with Ultimate coming out, I look at Smash 4 and think, “where will this game go?” Will everyone just move on to Ultimate? I just feel like newer smash games are treated as a fad rather than something that can and will be played for years to come.
But of course, I am in the minority. I want to believe this game will be fun but different stokes for different folks

zferolie

Smash Hero
So its looking more and more likely this leak is true, at least it part. Still a chance more are coming, given how adament a lot of insiders are of Incineroar and maybe others.

So I am of 2 theories of that. The one that papagenos papagenos said on his latest video makes sense, that Banjo and Kazooie were very late additions and Sakurai moved Incineroar to DLC to have time to finish it.

The other theory I like is those leak is of the roster they are showing off at Nintendo live, and Sakurai still has some left coming to announce a week before launch as a surprise. could just be 1 for Inceniroar, but that would make the screen look odd. 5 characters would fit the CS screen in a perfect rectangle. That is a ton of characters though, but depending on if Sakurai feels Echos count towards his newcomer number or not is key. I know I posted a roster last week, but I did a slight change to it, and cleaned it up a bit

Smash CHaracter select screen Roster Complete.png

I did have Skullkid but replaced him with Rayman, for 3 reasons.

1: Ubisoft and Nintendo are super close, and have worked with nintendo properties with their own games(starlink and Mario vs Rabbids). Plus Rayman had a trophy in Smash 4. Seems super odd he is still not in smash.

2: Leakypandy has been very adament on skullkid as a boss. Yes they are not always right, but they have still stuck with this bit of info and say nothing else. Plus making him a boss feels like the Ridley as a boss for this game, as Nintendo could do

3: one of the insiders said that one of the trailers will showcase 2 fighters, and I beleive he said none of the leaked characters were in that trailer. I don;t think Skullkid would show off well with Inceniroar or Shantae, but I can see Shantae and Rayman being introduced in the same reveal trailer. Both 3rd parties, and both cartoonish, and I think they could play well off each other, with Raymans limbless style and shantae's transformations

I think either of these 2 possiblites is the most likely, if the leak is true, which it really looks like it is

EDIT:

Yes, while all those things are great, I feel like there is something inherently missing from it. I look at Smash 64 and Melee and see that the audience for those games are not only still kicking, but thriving. Even PM refuses to die. But then I look at Brawl and there is not to many people that still play it (beside playing the SSE). Now with Ultimate coming out, I look at Smash 4 and think, “where will this game go?” Will everyone just move on to Ultimate? I just feel like newer smash games are treated as a fad rather than something that can and will be played for years to come.
But of course, I am in the minority. I want to believe this game will be fun but different stokes for different folks
I have been hearing that a lot of pros are saying they are going to quit Melee for Ultimate.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Good morning people! :)

So, last night, I missed some discussion regarding assist trophies, I see. Well, here's how I'd see a Rottytops assist functioning.

Now, something I'm undecided on yet, is how would she move? Would she just, run around the stage normally. or would she use her head throw? Her head throw may be a bit too inefficient, but I don't know if, it was just an attack, would it take too long for her to line up the shot, at a player? Or, could she do something, completely new? I had an idea, where, if she was to far away from the players, she could just sink her entire body into the ground, only to pop up, next to them.

Anyway, I don't want to go on about that, for too long. ;p
Her head throw, yes. Unlike in Friends to the End, the entire world wouldn't freeze when she was performing the attack, for obvious reasons. She is completely immune to the fighters when performing it, however. Now, if she somehow manages to throw her head down, into a pit (not that one :p), I'm afraid she'd sadly, meet her doom... :(
If, her head hit a player, it would cause them quite a bit of damage, and. also when she reappears out of the ground, it would cause a considerable larger, amount of damage, launching people into the air.

Her other attack, would be her leg pull move, of course, in which she pulls off her leg, and uses it as a weapon, almost squashing enemies. She'd only perform it when close to the opponents. :)

If a player managed to hit her, she'd just eat a brain to replenish her health. :p
She can never die!

Another role, I could see her having (but wouldn't be too pleased with...), is, her as a stage hazard, driving across a possible Scuttle Town stage, in her Wagon (No, not that one either! Eww.), functioning similarly to King Bulblin, on the Bridge of Eldin stage.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well yeah, those games are vastly different from their successors and thus have their own fans and players. Doesn't necessarily mean they're better.

If every game tried to be Melee we'd be seeing the same "fad" phenomenon.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I'm hearing that MarioTehPlumber made the Grinch leak.

I CAN'T confirm it just yet, but given that he has the resources to buy 100 Rosalina amiibos, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that he commissioned this leak.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm hearing that MarioTehPlumber made the Grinch leak.

I CAN'T confirm it just yet, but given that he has the resources to buy 100 Rosalina amiibos, it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility that he commissioned this leak.
Seems.... odd for someone to do that

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
I'm not sure what to believe but the guys videos are all just basically trolling Smash leaks and people who believe leaks, so I guess I could see the psychology behind it.

Gonna be the twist of the century though if he did fake it.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
All I can say is if the grinch leak turns out to be true, that could possibly mean ray 01 from Custom Robo was considered at one point. Though because the trademark for the Custom Robo series was not renewed, many have written him off as impossible now. Do any of you think otherwise? I think maybe.

zferolie

Smash Hero
All I can say is if the grinch leak turns out to be true, that could possibly mean ray 01 from Custom Robo was considered at one point. Though because the trademark for the Custom Robo series was not renewed, many have written him off as impossible now. Do any of you think otherwise? I think maybe.
We can't say for sure if the Chadendorf leak is tied to this. its possible the user was just super lucky in his guesses. But if it was true then I can see it maybe as DLC?

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
zferolie zferolie Yeah I know it's completely pie-in-the-sky wish fulfillment, but the insiders certain about Incineroar and the Grinch leak could both be true if there were even more characters to be added AFTER that banner, but before DLC.

That could possibly explain the Shantae evidence. And Sakurai doesn't feel the need to keep the biggest announcements for last, re: Shulk, DHD, K. Rool, ect.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
zferolie zferolie Yeah I know it's completely pie-in-the-sky wish fulfillment, but the insiders certain about Incineroar and the Grinch leak could both be true if there were even more characters to be added AFTER that banner, but before DLC.

That could possibly explain the Shantae evidence. And Sakurai doesn't feel the need to keep the biggest announcements for last, re: Shulk, DHD, K. Rool, ect.
Yeah, i agree that is a possibility to. I can see next week at Nintendo live we get the leaked 7 characters all in a direct. And a demo there has them all as well.

Then a week before the game launches, we get a surprise direct doing over the last bits. Opens with the Incineroar trailer, then it goes over some onloine futures, how lobbys work, maybe trophies and other ingle player stuff. During this we get 3 more echos, Ms Pac Man, Medusa, and Impa. Then near the end Sakurai says take a look at our last announcment, and its a trailer with both Shantae and Rayman. He goes over them and then the direct ends, maybe with a tease for our first DLC characterm though I can see them not saying anything on who the DLC will be till the game awards, which launchs the day before the game releases

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Trust me, Ultimate is much better than brawl and smash 4 competitively. I know some people who dont think so but they're mostly melee-only players who can't stand not having proper wavedashing.

The game is faster, all characters are faster and move smoother. The landing lag on all aerials have been severely reduced, making it pretty much as fast as l-canceling aerials in melee, and characters' speed is faster too. Lots of little things have been fine-tuned as well to make it look and feel good.
You can dash dance extremely well, which brawl and smash 4 lacked. And you can cancel dashes into any attack, which makes up for not being able to wavedash in most cases (except getting out of shield quicker)

It won't match to the competitive (incl. speed) of melee, but that's also a plus and I think they found a happy medium for casual people to feel welcomed, and the crazy technical ceiling (of wavedashing) isn't there so more people will be able to feel like they're able to grow with the mechanics.

Not to mention the immense amount of characters, that will bring both awesomeness and diversity to the game.
All in all, I think more people will get into the game and stay in the game, and in my eyes it's guaranteed to have a long life. :)

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The Grinch left some green pixels in the mural, #TeamReal
Image compression can do that. Which is the likely explanation for the errors/cut-offs in the official image mural that people have seen. More cut-offs were there than just where isaac is talked about. So it doesnt mean much, really.

Good afternoon peeps. Grinch leak still going strong I see.
Hi :)
And depends who you talk to. While there's a few more things going for it, that can easily have other explanations.. There's also some more stuff going against it. Not to mention insiders saying that the grinch leak happened to get some of the characters right, and that's most likely why it caught so many off-guard (besides looking convincing to the degree it does).

.. I don't feel like I want to debate too much today. But I will say that lots of people 'want' to believe it, cuz it has quite a few characters. And that's not a good excuse to overlook that it's a leak, and that most leaks are fake. And that people go out of their way to make them. This one had more effort in it.
It just takes someone that's a bit more savvy on the artistic side.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Image compression can do that. Which is the likely explanation for the errors/cut-offs in the official image mural that people have seen. More cut-offs were there than just where isaac is talked about. So it doesnt mean much, really.

Hi :)
And depends who you talk to. While there's a few more things going for it, that can easily have other explanations.. There's also some more stuff going against it. Not to mention insiders saying that the grinch leak happened to get some of the characters right, and that's most likely why it caught so many off-guard (besides looking convincing to the degree it does).

.. I don't feel like I want to debate too much today. But I will say that lots of people 'want' to believe it, cuz it has quite a few characters. And that's not a good excuse to overlook that it's a leak, and that most leaks are fake. And that people go out of their way to make them. This one had more effort in it.
It just takes someone that's a bit more savvy on the artistic side.
The esbr leak says hi

Teeb147

Smash Legend
The esbr leak says hi
that's a bad argument though. That's one leak. Most of the leaks are fake. Why would you focus on one that was right when more have been fake?
The answer is that you want this one to be real (in your case).

NukeA6

Smash Master
that's a bad argument though. That's one leak. Most of the leaks are fake. Why would you focus on one that was right when more have been fake?
The answer is that you want this one to be real (in your case).
Or you're in denial.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Or you're in denial.
It's super easy for me to say the same about people who believe in it. Gullible is another one.
I dont say those things because I dont want to be mean to people. (I also understand that it can look convincing, and it's also a possibility)

I want to keep open about it, and I try to encourage that for others too.
It has stuff going for it, just like against it. Out of prudence and history, I think it's better to consider that it can be fake. (and still be open to that it can be real)

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Or you're in denial.
Can we not?

There's certainly a lot of evidence for the leak, but as of now we can't consider anything to be conclusive. I still lean towards it being real, but just as it can't be proven false yet, it can't be proven to be true, so let's not antagonize each other for being skeptical.

Too many people are being dismissive of whatever side believes different from them. There are good argument's for both sides, so how about we don't talk down to others for whatever explanation they chose to subscribe to when nothing can be proven either way.

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Hey all! Are you planning on getting the game physical or digital (and what are your reasons for swaying one way or the other)?

MattX20

Smash Hero
I still firmly believe Shantae's chances are at her best as DLC. It would explain why an AT of her wasn't shown with Shovel Knight.

Top Bottom