• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Alright, it's been a bit, how are my good Shantaeians? Y'all scared the banner could kill her chances or nah because Spawn Wave is saying there's another fighter left that isn't there other than Incineroar? I'm honestly still full pro Shantae in Smash.
I'm sorta not sitting well. The Grinch leak has holes but every hole we poke in it seems to be negated by the fact that there's just so much ground to cover and just too many uncertainties. I'm starting to lean team maybe/real if only because I'm growing frustrated due to the lack of info from Nintendo and the lack of any progress being made on this leak. I also doubt that if the leak is real that either Incineroar or this extra character is in as what purpose is to printing a incomplete mural mere weeks before it's gonna be outdated? Plus even if Incineraor is in and the extra character "leak" is real then who's to say that it's Shantae? It could be anyone and if it's a reveal that's being saved for last, I just don't think Shantae fits that bill. Thus we're left to hope for DLC which we still don't know will be a thing.

Also that rumor of WF being bought isn't sitting well with me. I'll admit that I haven't played all of their games but I really don't want to see some of these IPs put in jeopardy. I guess I should note however that I'm a very pessimistic and paranoia prone type of person, and I've been "worrying" about her chances since I first started supporting her, so I'm likely just being pessimistic and overthinking things, but who knows?

Sorry if I scare anyone or if I upset anyone. I've tried to avoid saying anything because I don't want to make people worry but I just kinda needed to voice this out.

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
i Think I found the reason why inciniroar is not in the roster because he’s the hero we should deserve

I mean who else would take that spot anyway?
the only other dlc pick im seeing be cited is skull kid and/or bandanna waddle-dee, characters who i believe shantae surpasses in terms of smash ballot popularity but im not sure.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
the only other dlc pick im seeing be cited is skull kid and/or bandanna waddle-dee, characters who i believe shantae surpasses in terms of smash ballot popularity but im not sure.
Skull kid had very little ballot popularity. He wasnt popular for voting at the time.
Bandana dee on the other hand is very popular in japan. Most likely going to be in at some point.

In any case, I want to stay hopeful, and enjoy what comes.

Last edited:

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I'm sorta not sitting well. The Grinch leak has holes but every hole we poke in it seems to be negated by the fact that there's just so much ground to cover and just too many uncertainties. I'm starting to lean team maybe/real if only because I'm growing frustrated due to the lack of info from Nintendo and the lack of any progress being made on this leak. I also doubt that if the leak is real that either Incineroar or this extra character is in as what purpose is to printing a incomplete mural mere weeks before it's gonna be outdated? Plus even if Incineraor is in and the extra character "leak" is real then who's to say that it's Shantae? It could be anyone and if it's a reveal that's being saved for last, I just don't think Shantae fits that bill. Thus we're left to hope for DLC which we still don't know will be a thing.

Also that rumor of WF being bought isn't sitting well with me. I'll admit that I haven't played all of their games but I really don't want to see some of these IPs put in jeopardy. I guess I should note however that I'm a very pessimistic and paranoia prone type of person, and I've been "worrying" about her chances since I first started supporting her, so I'm likely just being pessimistic and overthinking things, but who knows?

Sorry if I scare anyone or if I upset anyone. I've tried to avoid saying anything because I don't want to make people worry but I just kinda needed to voice this out.
Aye, you're completely fine on this! I feel you, this could or could not be her, but at the same time, I really feel like everything is just so much in line of he favor it'll be VERY surprising if she isn't in as a fighter/some sort of capacity. I wouldn't say lose hhope just yet, but it is good to temper you expectations a bit.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I've been staying up way too late again. :tired:

Goodnight everyone. Relax and enjoy the next few weeks, it's the last stretch and we'll find out what's really going on. It's ok no matter, and there's always hope and more anyway :)

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Skull kid had very little ballot popularity. He wasnt popular for voting at the time.

Bandana Dee on the other hand is very popular in japan. Most likely going to be in at some point.
The lack of Bandanna Dee is the biggest surprise of all to me. I'm very neutral on the character myself, but Bandanna Dee is pretty much the Ridley of Japan. It's very difficult for me to see a scenario where Ridley gets in but somehow Bandanna Dee doesn't.

grizby2

Smash Lord
jeez, this thread never runs out of gas! though I gotta say, I love a thread with the personality and engine of a Hot Rod.

regarding the grinch leak, if it becomes reality, I think it would be one of the better-case scenerios. it certainly beats having only 2 more characters left! and 3 heaver hitters to boot! (those being geno Isaac and banjo) I say "NOT BAD!"

and of course dlc is still a thing. and we all know our lovely lady is queen of dlc.

just hang in there guys and gals. the leak is still fresh. if anything smells foul, the smash community will find it faster than a Star-nosed Mole.

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
jeez, this thread never runs out of gas! though I gotta say, I love a thread with the personality and engine of a Hot Rod.

regarding the grinch leak, if it becomes reality, I think it would be one of the better-case scenerios. it certainly beats having only 2 more characters left! and 3 heaver hitters to boot! (those being geno Isaac and banjo) I say "NOT BAD!"

and of course dlc is still a thing. and we all know our lovely lady is queen of dlc.

just hang in there guys and gals. the leak is still fresh. if anything smells foul, the smash community will find it faster than a Star-nosed Mole.
why, thank you! we have as much heart and will as our dear half-genie hero.

also, on that second point, yes i agree.

grinch is indirectly a better scenario for us than kencineroar honestly because shantae isn't competing with characters like isaac and geno for a dlc slot if they're already in. i don't know any other picks as widely popular as her tbh (barring skull kid and dee).

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I would also like to remind you all that the idea of an "assist trophy hell" is actually completely unproven, as we have never received word of Sakurai whether or not a fighter can go from Assist Trophy to Fighter within the same game. That means that, even if she is an assist trophy (which I don't think she is), there is still a chance she could make it in nonetheless.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I would also like to remind you all that the idea of an "assist trophy hell" is actually completely unproven, as we have never received word of Sakurai whether or not a fighter can go from Assist Trophy to Fighter within the same game. That means that, even if she is an assist trophy (which I don't think she is), there is still a chance she could make it in nonetheless.
AKA the Ashley Hail Mary. I'm not fully willing to give up just yet when Sakurai has shown that he doesn't give a crap about fan-made "rules."

Last edited:

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
I don't expect that many more ATs anyways. I mean it's not like there's just an extra 20 in hiding, I feel like the ones shown off are the most important ones as they're the newest and the rest will just be comprised of existing ATs from all games and only certain games.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
AKA the Ashley Hail Mary. I'm not fully willing to give up just yet when Sakurai has shown that he doesn't give a crap about fan-made "rules."

If Ashley and Shantae were to get in by the end of Smash Ultimate lifespan I might actually explode due to the amount of cute girl.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

As for the Banner leak and the SpawnWave addition... Did Spawn say that the banner was right but there was one more, or did he say that he knew of one character that wasn't on the banner so the banner couldn't be the complete roster. Because if it's the latter that means that Spawnwave knows of one character but not about the 7 in the banner so the banner can either be right but incomplete, or false but Spawn doesn't have anything to disprove the other 7.

Either way I don;t think the banner holds much weight, every minute more and more holes are being poked in it. But If all of it is right, but it's not the final roster then still anything is on the table. I don;t think that's likely cause that would be 8 more characters to reveal, but this is Sakurai after all.

Anyway, about the Warner Bros thing. I did a search and literally couldn't find anything. Like not even a 4chan or Gamefaqs post about it. So if it is a rumor, it's not one anyone seems to care about enough to even make it's own topic on it.

However, in the search I did find a list of Warner properties WF made games for. Did you guys know WF made Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck for the DS? That is nuts! I always meant to get it back in the day, but never got around to it. My favorite Looney Toon based off of one of his best shorts and made by Wayforward? I need to get this game now, and it's cheap as dirt on amazon.

Last bit, what if Wayforward is looking to be bought, and it's bought by Nintendo to become a 2nd party studio? Imagine Wayforward titles with the Nintendo budget? Maybe Shantae getting in Smash was the foot in the door to make the offer?

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
As for the Banner leak and the SpawnWave addition... Did Spawn say that the banner was right but there was one more, or did he say that he knew of one character that wasn't on the banner so the banner couldn't be the complete roster. Because if it's the latter that means that Spawnwave knows of one character but not about the 7 in the banner so the banner can either be right but incomplete, or false but Spawn doesn't have anything to disprove the other 7.

Either way I don;t think the banner holds much weight, every minute more and more holes are being poked in it. But If all of it is right, but it's not the final roster then still anything is on the table. I don;t think that's likely cause that would be 8 more characters to reveal, but this is Sakurai after all.

Anyway, about the Warner Bros thing. I did a search and literally couldn't find anything. Like not even a 4chan or Gamefaqs post about it. So if it is a rumor, it's not one anyone seems to care about enough to even make it's own topic on it.

However, in the search I did find a list of Warner properties WF made games for. Did you guys know WF made Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck for the DS? That is nuts! I always meant to get it back in the day, but never got around to it. My favorite Looney Toon based off of one of his best shorts and made by Wayforward? I need to get this game now, and it's cheap as dirt on amazon.

Last bit, what if Wayforward is looking to be bought, and it's bought by Nintendo to become a 2nd party studio? Imagine Wayforward titles with the Nintendo budget? Maybe Shantae getting in Smash was the foot in the door to make the offer?
>Shantae being 2nd party under Nintendo

That is so unfathomably fitting you don't even know.

EDIT: I just had a thought. The banner leak has a ton of hoops to jump through, and if it misses even one it is almost confirmed fake.

First, it has to survive each and every piece of Smash information and direct we receive until release.

Second, if another equally-or-more confirmable leak comes out with contradicting information, it may be busted. (The true ESRB 2.0?)

Third, If a connection between the current company and Smash Bros cant be established, or it even comes out denying the entire thing, it could almost entirely point towards it being an elaborate hoax.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
>Shantae being 2nd party under Nintendo

That is so unfathomably fitting you don't even know.

EDIT: I just had a thought. The banner leak has a ton of hoops to jump through, and if it misses even one it is almost confirmed fake.

First, it has to survive each and every piece of Smash information and direct we receive until release.

Second, if another equally-or-more confirmable leak comes out with contradicting information, it may be busted. (The true ESRB 2.0?)

Third, If a connection between the current company and Smash Bros cant be established, or it even comes out denying the entire thing, it could almost entirely point towards it being an elaborate hoax.
Exactly, especially the part about reveals. Even if the next character announced is in the leak, they still need to have the same pose when they get on the official banner which is incredibly unlikely should the leak be fake.

Yeah, people are jumping on this bandwagon way too fast. And comparing deniers of this leak to the same as deniers of ESRB is not fair at all. ESRB had much clearer images, was all in game and even had gameplay footage. People saying this leak is fishy are not in denial like the ones saying the game play of Bowser Jr was a modified Diddy Kong.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Exactly, especially the part about reveals. Even if the next character announced is in the leak, they still need to have the same pose when they get on the official banner which is incredibly unlikely should the leak be fake.

Yeah, people are jumping on this bandwagon way too fast. And comparing deniers of this leak to the same as deniers of ESRB is not fair at all. ESRB had much clearer images, was all in game and even had gameplay footage. People saying this leak is fishy are not in denial like the ones saying the game play of Bowser Jr was a modified Diddy Kong.
I didn't even realize I forgot to include "the banner must be set up in the exact same way" issue. It's a lot of hoops for one leak to jump through, and at any moment it could stumble.

I've noticed that Nintendo hasn't made any activity in regards to the leak. When characters were leaked, didn't they reveal them shortly afterwards or something, like what they did with Shulk and Palutena?

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I'm not super familiar with the Shantae series, but I certainly recognize why you all want her in Smash. Personally my most wanted newcomer is Dixie Kong now that K. Rool was confirmed, but I just wanted to throw some support to all of you. I plan on finally giving these games a shot with Half-Genie Hero, I have a feeling I'm in for a good time.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I'm not super familiar with the Shantae series, but I certainly recognize why you all want her in Smash. Personally my most wanted newcomer is Dixie Kong now that K. Rool was confirmed, but I just wanted to throw some support to all of you. I plan on finally giving these games a shot with Half-Genie Hero, I have a feeling I'm in for a good time.
Dixie and Shantae are the only two characters I need for this to be the perfect Smash for me (well side from all the Pokemon I love that have no chance because they aren't Pikachu or Charizard)

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hell, he doesn't care all that much about his own if the fans want hard enough.

He never did say Ashley was an assist after all. :demon:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I didn't even realize I forgot to include "the banner must be set up in the exact same way" issue. It's a lot of hoops for one leak to jump through, and at any moment it could stumble.

I've noticed that Nintendo hasn't made any activity in regards to the leak. When characters were leaked, didn't they reveal them shortly afterwards or something, like what they did with Shulk and Palutena?
Well Palutena's "leak" (well made fake, so well that it was only after they guy showed the models that we realised) came months before E3 so I think Nintendo will stick to it's usual strategy of ignoring the internet until forced to do so.

13 Days to go until supposed direct.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Dixie and Shantae are the only two characters I need for this to be the perfect Smash for me (well side from all the Pokemon I love that have no chance because they aren't Pikachu or Charizard)
Glad to see another Dixie supporter! Shantae and Dixie have a lot in common so I guess it makes sense that there would some overlap between supporters. Speaking of, you guys can add me the support list.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
mean who else would take that spot anyway?
Could be Phoenix Wright.
Think of it this way...how exciting would it be to not only see Shantae making the base roster, but also being the one to snap the banner "leak" in half? Its definitely possible, and the evidence against the leak is beginning to build.
Honestly, since the leak hasn't been debunked and still looks plausible enough, I still hold that while it is be real, that doesn't mean that it's final for the base roster. So either way, Shantae still has a shot.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

Okay, we've seen a few people already post evidence of potential Photoshopping, so calm a little. It'll be okay. As for the rumor of WF being bought by WB, I have to ask, and I'm gonna ask this loud because everyone seems to be doom and gloom about the mere chance that this person isn't lying his butt off: WHY IS THAT A BAD THING?!
I've been staying up way too late again. :tired:

Goodnight everyone. Relax and enjoy the next few weeks, it's the last stretch and we'll find out what's really going on. It's ok no matter, and there's always hope and more anyway :)

Teeb, enjoy a like for posting that adorable picture.

EDIT: One more thing I'll say regarding that leak. Just keep an eye on the length of the next Smash direct. Because if it's under 45 minutes, then likely we're not getting that bunch of characters. If there were more echoes, maybe, but not that many newcomers are going to be shown off in under 45 minutes and still have time to show any more new ATs, Pokemon, Items, modes they haven't hinted at, as well as the big Spirits Mode reveal. Unless we expect two info dumps next month, which I'm not.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
some random guy on 4chan says WB is buying wayforward and everyone freaks. no proof or anything. relax guys, this is most likely fake. from what I can tell WF has no need to let itself be bought.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
some random guy on 4chan says WB is buying wayforward and everyone freaks. no proof or anything. relax guys, this is most likely fake. from what I can tell WF has no need to let itself be bought.
And even IF it is, Shantae is owned by Matt, not Wayforward.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
I'm so out of the loop with this whole "Grinch Leak" thing. I don't buy any leak for a second but what the conclusion on this thing?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm so out of the loop with this whole "Grinch Leak" thing. I don't buy any leak for a second but what the conclusion on this thing?
Well it's been two days and the main Smash U thread hasn't found anything to hard debunk it and there's one group of insiders saying it's fake and another who says it's real. Neither offering more than "you gotta trust me"s to back it up.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
I'd check this video out, but basically the 'leak' has a lot of discrepancies that aren't present in any of the official banners that have been shown up until now that would actually make it look worse. The reason for this seems to be that the creator of the leak had to fill in spots and make educated guesses on what would be present behind the characters after being moved. The problem here is that there was an official background that was briefly shown at Nintendo's E3 show floor, and the leaks background does not match up and is missing a lot of detail. Again, the video explains it far better than I can, I'd highly recommend everyone on here check it out.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The lack of Bandanna Dee is the biggest surprise of all to me. I'm very neutral on the character myself, but Bandanna Dee is pretty much the Ridley of Japan. It's very difficult for me to see a scenario where Ridley gets in but somehow Bandanna Dee doesn't.
If that is indeed the case, I could see Shinya Kumazaki being baffled at his senpai's decision.

why, thank you! we have as much heart and will as our dear half-genie hero.

also, on that second point, yes i agree.

grinch is indirectly a better scenario for us than kencineroar honestly because shantae isn't competing with characters like isaac and geno for a dlc slot if they're already in. i don't know any other picks as widely popular as her tbh (barring skull kid and dee).
Exactly, the more big names that get in, the less there is that get in the way of characters that people want. And we already had a lot of space clearing with :ultridley:, :ultinkling:, :ultdaisy:, :ultchrom:, :ultdarksamus:, :ultkrool: and :ultisabelle: getting in.

I've always known of WayForward working on all sorts of licensed games, including Batman The Brave & The Bold, Adventure Time and even a GBC game for a cancelled Wendy the Witch cartoon. That last point of yours would make a lot of sense, and go a long way towards explaining why they're so shy on saying anything in regards to Smash these days. Wouldn't want the deal to fall through.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Other characters besides Shantae, Skull Kid, and Bandana Dee I could see being locks for DLC are:

Crash Bandicoot
Dixie Kong
Sora
Elma
Rex & Pyra
Springman

Other characters besides those are up in the air, no offense to anybody. If the banner leak is fake and Banjo-Kazooie, Geno, and Isaac are not in the base game, they're locks for DLC as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ahem........
F4C1A01C-1B79-47F2-9785-D6B389A7CA30.jpeg

zferolie

Smash Hero
And even IF it is, Shantae is owned by Matt, not Wayforward.
Exactly. we have nothing to worry about

Other characters besides Shantae, Skull Kid, and Bandana Dee I could see being locks for DLC are:

Crash Bandicoot
Dixie Kong
Sora
Elma
Rex & Pyra
Springman

Other characters besides those are up in the air, no offense to anybody. If the banner leak is fake and Banjo-Kazooie, Geno, and Isaac are not in the base game, they're locks for DLC as well.
Medusa, Bandana waddle Dee, Ms Pac-Man, Impa, Gen 8 Pokemon, Other pokemon(Gardevoir and Meloetta please) and Dragon Quest character are all likely as well.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Forgive me for this 1 double post. Just wanted to say this about one of the key points against this leak, or a lot of characters still to come. How Sakurai say said when the game was revealed that to not expect too many new characters.

... However, sakurai said this very simular thing back for Smash 4 when it was announced.

https://nintendotoday.com/super-smash-bros-wii-u-characters/

Quote: "There is a charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes difficult to fine tune each character and have them all feel distinctive” Sakurai told Nintendo Power magazine, talking about fighting games in general. He added, “we have probably already reached the limit of what’s feasible. A change of direction may be what’s needed "

He said that and what happened with Smash 4? we got 21 new fighters including DLC. Obviously Sakurai said this to keep expectations down so we could be super surprised and hyped, so why would this time be any different?

D

Deleted member

I found this in the banjo thread it’s a comic of why inceniroar isint in the game we shall remember him as a hero for what he has done:(
F
756CF66B-6359-4D73-A955-73A226C2FB8D.png

D

Deleted member

Wait a minute... @Maxie , I know you!

You uploaded some videos of Luigi humping things on Youtube, if I'm not mistaken. :p

It's also, pretty explicit. It's making me really uncomfortable anyway.

Edited: Thank you moderators! :grin:
Yep. That's me.

Top Bottom