• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Whoa what's going on
There was a leak that WF is going to be bought out by WB games, so Shantae might be meeting her Ultimate demise, not just in terms of Smash Bros.

I'm worried it might be real, Connor's being Connor, Dylly's angry at Connor and presumably you're angry at me.

Edit: You meaning the thread in general, not necessarily you specifically.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
There was a leak that WF is going to be bought out by WB games, so Shantae might be meeting her Ultimate demise, not just in terms of Smash Bros.

I'm worried it might be real, Connor's being Connor, Dylly's angry at Connor and presumably you're angry at me.

Even if it is true (which it very much might not be), WB buying WF is not the end of Shantae. It could simply be a situation of "hey, we like your games. We would like to buy you before our competitors can". They will still be able to not only make Shantae (and other WayForward games), but they will have the backing of a major publisher.

The only thing it hurts is that it will essentially render her no longer an "indie", which is far from the worst fate.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace

Calm down holly, it'll be okay.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
So now that we've been given a little bit of time to digest this leak and really think about it, I'm so super torn right now.

On one hand, no Shantae or Elma for base would suck, 100% more if any of them get AT'd.

On the other, the Grinch Leaks is probably the only possible reality where the goddamn Mach Rider could actually be a reality! Plus the possiblity of DLC for them is incredibly high in my opinion so it wouldn't even suck that much in the end I guess.

I dunno. I'm 50/50 on the leak being real or fake, and I'm 50/50 on whether or not I want it to be real. Either way, I guess I'll be happy (unless it turns out Vergeben was right all along, I hate his attention-whoring ways).

yellow lord do you think i can ****ing remain calm right now?
I believe you can. It's hard but I ask of you to just walk away from the computer, sit down somewhere, close your eyes and breathe deep and slow for ten seconds. Think of nothing but calming images, like a calm lake, a beach at night, hugs from Rotty (OK so given your feeling on Rotty that would do the opposite of calm you but you get what I mean).

I understand your self-esteem troubles, but please believe that I genuinely believe in you, and that you are better than what you think you are.

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I hope Etika is okay. I never was a fan and thought he was a little overrated, but i never wanted anything bad to happen to him.

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I hope Etika is okay. I never was a fan and thought he was a little overrated,but i never wanted anything bad to happen to him.
I haven't been keeping up with him lately so this thread was literally the first time I heard about this just a few hours ago. Jesus Christ I am so scared for him right now. My heart dropped once I finally put all the pieces of news together.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Even if WB buys Wayforward that doesn't mean the end of shantae.

That's assuming the leak is real and isn't some spiteful 4chaner wanting to punch Shantae fans while they're down.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
I haven't been keeping up with him lately so this thread was literally the first time I heard about this just a few hours ago. Jesus Christ I am so scared for him right now. My heart dropped once I finally put all the pieces of news together.
On twitter its stated He's with his friends and family rn

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
So what you saying is larger budget=big games,possible 3D shantae game,possible shantae anime,enough money for amiibo? Great now I want this to be real!!
For cryin' out loud...that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying it's possible. You really need to stop flip flopping all the time. At least Hollywoodrok12 Hollywoodrok12 is consistently pessimistic.

Again, adding to the number of people who've said it already. WayForward being purchased by WB isn't a bad thing. WB doesn't put out just garbage. They work with many studios who do respected work, unless you somehow think the Batman: Arkham games are all awful, along with anything put out by NetherRealm.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
On twitter its stated He's with his friends and family rn
Thank God. As annoyed as I have been lately with his crappy inconsistent uploads and his drinking, I do like the man a lot, and I hope he'll bounce back from this good as new.

red dead redeemed self ****ing esteem

they might send me back to the ****ing white rooms again ****
I apologize if you believe that I'm being insincere. I don't exactly know what you mean by "white rooms" but I am concerned for you just by your tone about them. I'm not sure what I could say that'll help, just know that I do appreciate your presence in this thread, and that I'm willing to talk things out with you if you need help.

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Thank God. As annoyed as I have been lately with is crappy inconsistent uploads and his drinking, I do like the man a lot, and I hope he'll bounce back from this good as new.

I apologize if you believe that I'm being insincere. I don't exactly know what you mean by "white rooms" but I am concerned for you just by your tone about them. I'm not sure what I could say that'll help, just know that I do appreciate your presence in this thread, and that I'm willing to talk things out with you if you need help.
Yeah, though his YouTube got terminated...I hope he records it or something.

I have a feeling white room is those small room they use for the unstable people and tie them with that thing

D

Deleted member

Matt owns Shantae not WF.
So if WB does buy WF shantae would stay indie.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
It's not?

I see blurry images here.
I can at least make out who all the characters were with the ESRB leak. It was a bit fuzzy but still clear enough to read details into it. I didn't actually know who was who until which characters were pointed out exactly where they were in the Grinch leak.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Oof. Quite a lot of stuff happened. I'm glad Etika's ok.
Everybody else, relax. Take a deep breath like Red dead redeemed suggested, and take things slowly one at a time without jumping too far as you can.

The new information about what looks like Isaac's growth energy may be really about Isaac. While I think it possible it could just be an item, I'll say that Isaac is actually pretty likely too. That doesnt mean that the leak is real, since Isaac was Extremely popular in votes anyway.
It does put a few things in favor of the leak, but it could just as well be fake for sure.

I hope she's at least DLC, as a AT would kinda suck, but at the end of the day I hope she's just in the game somewhere.

For her to be completely absent would really really suck.
She could still be base. She could definitely be DLC (and personally I always thought dlc would be more likely anyway).

This is stressful
Relax as much as you can :) It's like a show. New info at least.

I still think it's base or bust, since Sakurai doesn't ever consider DLC until development is complete for the Base Game, so it wouldn't make sense to have all of this evidence in advance.
Stop talking like that about things you dont know (not that you cant have your opinion), especially in a place where you know others wont like it.
They would secure a spot for her as soon as they can by contract if they wanted to have her in, including as dlc. Thinking that they dont think about dlc at all before the end of the development is a misinterpretation of some things they said.

I can't debunk this leak. There's nothing we can do about it. If she's in, great; if not, oh well, it'll be another 5 years before we get another shot.
Just because you cant debunk it yourself, or sooner than you'd like, doesn't mean anything. Time will tell, and it's better to be hopeful when there's hope. If you dont have the hope, take a step back and try not to put others down who want to look at the side that youre overlooking.

I've seen every single "debunk" and it looks exactly like detail nitpicking. You're making the same exact arguments that others made for the ESRB leak. Shulk was said to be Little Mac photoshopped too as well as other character portraits (i.e. Wario being too ugly).

And of course the person who took the pic is gonna deny it. As if he's gonna say, "Yeah I took a photo of the updated banner and uploaded it on the Internet so I can be the biggest news to an online videogame community." He's already identified and his career has crashed and burned.
Most of the time leaks are fake, so just because one image in the past turned out true that people were debating, doesnt mean that this is the same case. It can easily be fake, and it's worth looking into, including different possibilities. It could go either way, and there are things against it, and lots of stuff that's fishy.

There was a leak that WF is going to be bought out by WB games, so Shantae might be meeting her Ultimate demise, not just in terms of Smash Bros..
Hollywood, seriously. There's so many leaks, and most of it is fake. You should know better than to jump to something someone claimed as if it means anything at all. Even if something like that were to happen, why would it have any bearing on her in ultimate? But it's most likely fake anyway.

So now that we've been given a little bit of time to digest this leak and really think about it, I'm so super torn right now.

On one hand, no Shantae or Elma for base would suck, 100% more if any of them get AT'd.

On the other, the Grinch Leaks is probably the only possible reality where the goddamn Mach Rider could actually be a reality! Plus the possiblity of DLC for them is incredibly high in my opinion so it wouldn't even suck that much in the end I guess.

I dunno. I'm 50/50 on the leak being real or fake, and I'm 50/50 on whether or not I want it to be real. Either way, I guess I'll be happy (unless it turns out Vergeben was right all along, I hate his attention-whoring ways).
I agree with you. I think that we need more girls in the base roster. Not saying that as a reason for the leak being fake, but I just feel that way, and besides that the leak could be fake, just like it could be real. There hasn't been enough to say either way. But it's better to take unofficial claims (especially with all the fakers out there) as unproved, which it is.
On the up side, it'd be a good deal of characters, lots would be happy, and it's a good sign for things to come with dlc :)

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
I can at least make out who all the characters were with the ESRB leak. It was a bit fuzzy but still clear enough to read details into it. I didn't actually know who was who until which characters were pointed out exactly where they were in the Grinch leak.
Agreed ken looks like a red blurr in this new leak.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I agree with you. I think that we need more girls in the base roster. Not saying that as a reason for the leak being fake, but I just feel that way, and besides that the leak could be fake, just like it could be real. There hasn't been enough to say either way. But it's better to take unofficial claims (especially with all the fakers out there) as unproved, which it is.
On the up side, it'd be a good deal of characters, lots would be happy, and it's a good sign for things to come with dlc :)
It's funny, that whole leak is a dream roster, yet despite being both a Geno and Banjo supporter, none of the people on Grinch Leaks gets me even half as hyped as Mach Rider, my most wanted Retro! I've been listening to his Melee theme all friggin day!

I would be super happy and satisfied if it's real even with the sting of no Shantae and no Elma. That's part of the reason why I have doubts about the leak too though. It's just a little too perfect. It all seems a little too on the nose for fan desires, and seven characters plus Spirits mode plus all the extra info we don't know about like new game modes and and the rest of the items and Assist Trophies seems way too much crap to jam into one Direct assuming we aren't getting one this month. I dunno, if something is too good to be true, it usually isn't. I'll keep an open mind until then though.

Agreed ken looks like a red blurr in this new leak.
Yeah here's the thing, I know that people are saying "Oh it's blurry because it's Snapchat not the original picture!" But to me, that just raises even more red flags. If the leaker had such easy access to this bit of info than why not just upload the original picture? It's giving me flashbacks to...

...OK this is where y'all can mock me for my nutty love of Cryptozoology but it reminds me a lot of the "Fresno Nightcrawler" video. Where the video in question is not actually the original, but was actually film of the friggin film, and the original film being, ahem, conveniently erased so that you can't read any detail into it.

Here's a cool video explaining it all for those of you that aren't a giant dweeb like myself:awesome:

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Right now, we are starting to get back on our feet with the remaining time that's left before Smash Ultimate.

Of course, there are those that still want to keep it down to avoid being a threat and possibly beating their picks if it happens.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
It's funny, that whole leak is a dream roster, yet despite being both a Geno and Banjo supporter, none of the people on Grinch Leaks gets me even half as hyped as Mach Rider, my most wanted Retro! I've been listening to his Melee theme all friggin day!
It's one of those too good to be true kind of leaks. Sakurai has always been one to subvert expectations and bring in someone unexpected (Wii Fit, Shulk, Duck Hunt, Cloud, Pac Man, etc). So to see all these characters that almost perfectly align with the "mainstream" selection of characters seems a bit off. Though I do admit adding Mach Rider is definitely a Sakuai thing to do.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I came back to see what became of my watched threads after the ‘grinch leak’ and it seems that it’s become a real ****show. I say that leak is fake, mainly because it’s so damn blurry you can barely even tell who the characters are, let alone see if the art is actually designed the same or ripped from something, and something about banjo looks fairly similar to a past artwork/render.

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
By the way guys, I did some minor research about that "Warner Bros buying WayForward" rumor and there's nothing. So yeah, I'd say the 4chan poster is just being a jerk. Honestly, I would call him worst names but gotta keep it kid friendly here.

I'm just hoping we get a Direct soon so we can get conformation on who's in and what not. I do think Shantae still has a high chance to get in. Those hints are far too real.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I came back to see what became of my watched threads after the ‘grinch leak’ and it seems that it’s become a real ****show. I say that leak is fake, mainly because it’s so damn blurry you can barely even tell who the characters are, let alone see if the art is actually designed the same or ripped from something, and something about banjo looks fairly similar to a past artwork/render.
There are a lot of problems with that leak. Firstly the man's connection to Namco/Bandai turns out to be a false lead. He left the company that did business with Bamco in 06 and is now working with another cardboard advertising company, this company doesn't list Bamco or Nintendo as past clients.

Also, the blank background seen in the leak is missing many features and landmarks seen in the official background. Suggesting that the leaker didn't know what to fill in the empty space with when removing characters to make the blank background.

Lastly, the volume of characters seems dubious. Many believe we have one Smash Direct left before release, if that was the case this direct would have 5 newcomer trailers. It's not impossible, but it does seem incredibly unlikely.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
There are a lot of problems with that leak. Firstly the man's connection to Namco/Bandai turns out to be a false lead. He left the company that did business with Bamco in 06 and is now working with another cardboard advertising company, this company doesn't list Bamco or Nintendo as past clients.

Also, the blank background seen in the leak is missing many features and landmarks seen in the official background. Suggesting that the leaker didn't know what to fill in the empty space with when removing characters to make the blank background.

Lastly, the volume of characters seems dubious. Many believe we have one Smash Direct left before release, if that was the case this direct would have 5 newcomer trailers. It's not impossible, but it does seem incredibly unlikely.
Yeah, only way that many could happen in a last direct is if it were at least an hour long so they had time to tell us about modes. All I can say is that every character is just as likely now as they were before the leak.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Alright. C'mon guys. We are better than this.

There's no reason to be negative. The recent leak scared us at first, but now its slowly showing its cracks. Now isn't the time to despair, now is the time to be excited because our favorite girl really, truly does have a chance, and always has.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Yeah, only way that many could happen in a last direct is if it were at least an hour long so they had time to tell us about modes. All I can say is that every character is just as likely now as they were before the leak.
Like, the only way I could see that many characters still being there is if there were a Smash Direct AND a general Direct. Then each could start and end with a new comer trailer and then Nintendo could release the final trailer as a stand alone just before the game comes out.

But honestly i don't see that happening.

Mario9919

Smash Apprentice
Alright. C'mon guys. We are better than this.

There's no reason to be negative. The recent leak scared us at first, but now its slowly showing its cracks. Now isn't the time to despair, now is the time to be excited because our favorite girl really, truly does have a chance, and always has.
I highly agree with this. Especially don't believe that "WB buying WF" 4chan bull either.

Shantae still has a chance and Wayforward isn't being bought out by Warner Bros.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Like, the only way I could see that many characters still being there is if there were a Smash Direct AND a general Direct. Then each could start and end with a new comer trailer and then Nintendo could release the final trailer as a stand alone just before the game comes out.

But honestly i don't see that happening.
I'd still like to believe there could be many characters revealed in november though :)
Not saying it was looking like that, but who knows. More characters, the merrier :)

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Think of it this way...how exciting would it be to not only see Shantae making the base roster, but also being the one to snap the banner "leak" in half? Its definitely possible, and the evidence against the leak is beginning to build.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Think of it this way...how exciting would it be to not only see Shantae making the base roster, but also being the one to snap the banner "leak" in half? Its definitely possible, and the evidence against the leak is beginning to build.
I dont know if you were referring to what I said, but I still want to be open to that Shantae could be in as well as many other characters. :)
It could be base roster, which would be awesome, but if it ends up dlc, that's way better than them not being in :D

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Gamefaqs and 4chan would 404 for weeks...from sheer rage.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Alright, it's been a bit, how are my good Shantaeians? Y'all scared the banner could kill her chances or nah because Spawn Wave is saying there's another fighter left that isn't there other than Incineroar? I'm honestly still full pro Shantae in Smash.

D

Deleted member

i Think I found the reason why inciniroar is not in the roster because he’s the hero we should deserve
Alright, it's been a bit, how are my good Shantaeians? Y'all scared the banner could kill her chances or nah because Spawn Wave is saying there's another fighter left that isn't there other than Incineroar? I'm honestly still full pro Shantae in Smash.
I mean who else would take that spot anyway?

Top Bottom