• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tybalt: Herbal One

Smash Cadet
One interesting little tid-pit I noticed, after looking at the current banner, previous ones and the "leak" banner is that Pit, who remains in the same spot in the official artworks but he was moved a bit to the left in the leak art. Probably nothing super important but interesting.

D

Deleted member

Do we even need to it's pretty obvious it wasn't real. Although I do like to see people coming together making sure misinformation isn't being spread.
Well even if it's not real, we're still gonna see three out of the seven of these characters in the game. Not saying who because I'm pretty sure you know who they are

Last edited by a moderator:

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Alright, lets assess the situation after the leak. How is everyone holding up?
I feel disappointed if true. Shantae is really the only character I want, that paired with the fact that it was leaked, PLUS paired with the unneeded and juvenile smugness from people who believe the leak, has greatly soured my mood for the day.

...and sorta solidified my stance of hating the Smash Bros community.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
About this leak, I won't consider believing it until I see a trailer for Mach Rider or the Chorus Kids. Besides, even if it turns out to be real, Shantae would still have a good shot as DLC.

Sheesh, with all of these so-called "leaks" going around I'm beginning to think that there's a possibility that Sakurai or Nintendo themselves are making fake information so it's harder to know what's actually real...

JonSmash

Smash Ace
personally I beleve the leak BUT with wayfolward being SO quite about her & not putting her in other fighting games I think she will be more then an assist trophy maybe she will be in the 1st wave of DLC ?

D

Deleted member

personally I beleve the leak BUT with wayfolward being SO quite about her & not putting her in other fighting games I think she will be more then an assist trophy maybe she will be in the 1st wave of DLC ?
That’s what others were thinking she got moved back to dlc due to time restraints

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I feel disappointed if true. Shantae is really the only character I want, that paired with the fact that it was leaked, PLUS paired with the unneeded and juvenile smugness from people who believe the leak, has greatly soured my mood for the day.

...and sorta solidified my stance of hating the Smash Bros community.
Hating the entirety of the Smash community based on a handful of individuals who soured your mood today seems like too much of a jump don't you think? There are smug people, some jerks, and some overly negative people here and there, but try not to throw literally everyone else under the bus based on a few bad encounters.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
The only think that would sink this ship is a video showing her popping out of an Assist Trophy. And even then, with enough support, that might get overturned into playable DLC. Like others have said, I'm gonna support our Half Genie Hero until the end and well beyond! Because this won't be the last Smash Bros, not by a long shot. And the next one will definitely see some of these 3rd Party characters cut(like Cloud and Snake) to save money. What 3rd Party wouldn't ask an exorbitant amount of money to let their character get into Smash? WayForward.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Hating the entirety of the Smash community based on a handful of individuals who soured your mood today seems like too much of a jump don't you think? There are smug people, some jerks, and some overly negative people here and there, but try not to throw literally everyone else under the bus based on a few bad encounters.
Sorry I should have clarified. I'm not saying everyone is bad just that I can't stand how aggressive this community can get, no one here in this thread mind you.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Sorry I should have clarified. I'm not saying everyone is bad just that I can't stand how aggressive this community can get, no one here in this thread mind you.
Oh, you aren't the only one.

Most people are pretty reasonable, but there are a few people who are incredibly toxic. There's people who use the !remindme bot on the subreddit just so they can rub it in that a newcomer did get in/didn't get in after-the-fact, which I would say is one of the most unforgivably toxic things any community could do.

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
Alright, lets assess the situation after the leak. How is everyone holding up?View attachment 171719
a lot of people are losing hope and it's a little taxing and starting to permeate and dampen the mood of a lot of shantae for smash discussion. im fine though, Shadow was my #2, and with a lot of ballot top picks and fanservice characters in the game already, picks like Shantae and Ayumi are really imagineable as DLC.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
No worries, a few of us here have expressed more or less the same or at least similar sentiments. Earlier today in fact, and that was just in regards to conversations within this thread. I'm not online very often and when I am, I don't stray far from a handful of threads here in newcomer speculation. But sometimes even things here get a bit out of hand. It's all usually short lived and then returns to some sense of "normalcy" I guess, but it happens frequent enough to be a bit disheartening and kind of annoying tbh

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
a lot of people are losing hope and it's a little taxing and starting to permeate and dampen the mood of a lot of shantae for smash discussion. im fine though, Shadow was my #2, and with a lot of ballot top picks and fanservice characters in the game already, picks like Shantae and Ayumi are really imagineable as DLC.
Yeah. I personally think Shantae is a fantastic pick for DLC at the very least, although I still hold out hope she is base roster.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm trying to make sense of what's above Yoshi's egg, there's a space there that's just weird, or it could be a character that looks a bit like the background:
Between sheik and Ken

Screenshot 2018-10-24 21.34.41.jpg

To me it almost looks like a cat-like character with a weapon. kind of in the style of hollow knight.
The line above it is a cloud/light line that's there in the original, but now what's there?

Last edited:

Tybalt: Herbal One

Smash Cadet
Alright, lets assess the situation after the leak. How is everyone holding up?View attachment 171719
I'm holding up well. Bit sleepy though. To be 100% honest, I wouldn't be too upset if that was the base roster (Would 100% rather have one 1/2 genie hero rather than a futuristic biker and a screaming trio). However I can't simply accept this "leak" as truth. Even disregarding the blurriness it feels so... off. Like even the things I know should be there feel weird (cloud's sword tip not being visible is the most prominant bit to me).

I may feel stronger against because it seemingly has my older brother convinced that it is an actual leak because of the narrative surrounding it.

And with that I'll see you folks on the 'morrow

Dukefire

Smash Master
This situation is very similar compared to Ridley's back before Smash Ultimate's arrival.

The underdog that not a lot of people are looking forward to the future being bleak.

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
I'm done trying to "debunk" it, as fun as it was.
But I'm still on team fake until proven wrong.
I just don't see it happen this way, with all these newcomers announced in such a short time laps and such a small amount of presumed echoes.

The guy who leaked it is an artist and I guess any talented artist could pull off such a suspicious leak.

I'm just gonna stay on Team Fake until the next direct. The civil war is raging on and nobody can find the smoking gun to prove or disprove the "leak"
1540422915031.jpg

Keep your chins up everyone, all it takes is one character reveal to shine a light on this whole thing. Till then just have hope.

zferolie

Smash Hero
No offense guys, but you guys are coming off a little desperate. I get trying to debunk a leak that doesn't have shantae but talking about lighting, and slightly off character arms or wings from a super blurry as all hell picture as this leak just comes off poorly for all shantae fans.

I want it to be fake myself for shantae, but i'm staying in the middle till more proof one way or another shows up

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
One last thought before I fade into darkness;
Why on eart, with how important it is for them to keep new stuff secret, would Smash teams give such highly confidential information to some random untrustworthy french artist ?
Personally I would give this job to one of my closest colleagues.

EDIT : zferolie zferolie I know how pathetic and desperate I looked haha but who knows I may be right at the end of the day :p

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm personally staying in the middle of this one. I want Banjo to be real but I also ain't giving up hope for Shantae.

Also, can you imagine Universal's reaction to all this sudden publicity for their new Grinch movie?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
One last thought before I fade into darkness;
Why on eart, with how important it is for them to keep new stuff secret, would Smash teams give such highly confidential information to some random untrustworthy french artist ?
Personally I would give this job to one of my closest colleagues.
I don't know, I can ask the same about why all these guys on ResetEra and Youtube supposedly have inside sources willing to give out their secrets.

No offense guys, but you guys are coming off a little desperate. I get trying to debunk a leak that doesn't have shantae but talking about lighting, and slightly off character arms or wings from a super blurry as all hell picture as this leak just comes off poorly for all shantae fans.

I want it to be fake myself for shantae, but i'm staying in the middle till more proof one way or another shows up
That's a bit disingenuous trying to blame only Shantae fans. SourceGaming, 4chan, and Gamefaqs have been doing the exact same thing all day, fans of Bandana Dee and Skull Kid are also trying to debunk it. Nothing wrong with that at all, people have characters they want so of course they're gonna try to debunk a leak that doesn't have them on it.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace

C'mon guys. Don't forget about the girl we're fighting for!

Im not sure what you mean by this. I think its perfectly reasonable to look at, because that can point out important flaws in the actual banner.

D

Deleted member

Guys you do realize is that if she’s an at it’s a BIG accomplishment WF has made same with YC

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, this community and many others are still currently: (Regarding the constant leaks trying to sink the ships of the support.)
Waiting...._by_IanMcRacoon2000.jpg

zferolie

Smash Hero
That's a bit disingenuous trying to blame only Shantae fans. SourceGaming, 4chan, and Gamefaqs have been doing the exact same thing all day, fans of Bandana Dee and Skull Kid are also trying to debunk it. Nothing wrong with that at all, people have characters they want so of course they're gonna try to debunk a leak that doesn't have them on it.
Not saying its just the shantae fans, just saying that i am seeing the other threads here saying we in this thread are acting childish. Nothing wrong with looking for inconsitances, but make sure we make it look professional is all :)

C'mon guys. Don't forget about the girl we're fighting for!

Im not sure what you mean by this. I think its perfectly reasonable to look at, because that can point out important flaws in the actual banner.
I agree its fine to look, I am just saying other threads are looking at us and thinking we are coming of as spoiled. If we want to prove its fake, then do it, just be aware that this is a blurry image we are looking at and a lot of these inconsitancies could be tied to that

D

Deleted member

Again, this community and many others are still currently: (Regarding the constant leaks trying to sink the ships of the support.)View attachment 171734
Remove banjo and shadow and we’re good (yes I’m still on team real sry guys)

Yeah ok.
in response to the leaks..
View attachment 171735
It looks really bad but I'm not giving up yet <3
Might actually finish this later we'll see.
Hey you wont mind if she gets in as an AT wont you?

One of your art states it

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I think the point that zferolie was trying to make is that due to the quality of the image trying to discern these minute details is only going to have us going in circles without being able to actually prove or disprove anything concrete.

Not saying don't try to analyze it, but at this point we aren't going to glean much when people can't agree on what they're even looking at.

Last edited:

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
It's definitely suspicious, for a lot of reasons. It's hard to tell exactly though.

What makes you say it's obvious to be not real though? im curious.
Level with me why is it that most of the "leaks" like this show characters of negligible detail and that don't interact with anything? Because it's easier to hide that they put it together themselves. Take an iphone leak for example a lot of times they take photos of it from each side seeing if it still doesn't have a headphone jack. (lol) Why not the same level of detail on our leaks? Well apple can't keep a lid on their leaks at all. (unless they're opening the lid themselves but anyway) It's pretty fair to assume plenty of them will be real. Can't say the same with Nintendo... I only take it seriously when it's closer to it's presentation because things are already in place for the characters reveal. My main point being unless they put everything out there plain as day or it's day beforethe direct it's pretty much a 99% percent chance it's fake. I don't think any blurry Nintendo leak is very reliable... Especially now that people are picking it apart.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think the point that zferolie was trying to make is that due to the quality of the image trying to discern these minute details is only going to have us going in circles without being able to actually prove or disprove anything concrete.

Not saying don't try to analyze it, but at this point we aren't going to glean much when people can't agree on what they're even looking at.
I agree, but I don't think much else can be done, at least right now. Until something official happens, I feel like the Smash community is gonna be stuck in a new kind of speculation purgatory.

Top Bottom