• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Level with me why is it that most of the "leaks" like this show characters of negligible detail and that don't interact with anything? Because it's easier to hide that they put it together themselves. Take an iphone leak for example a lot of times they take photos of it from each side seeing if it still doesn't have a headphone jack. (lol) Why not the same level of detail on our leaks? Well apple can't keep a lid on their leaks at all. (unless they're opening the lid themselves but anyway) It's pretty fair to assume plenty of them will be real. Can't say the same with Nintendo... I only take it seriously when it's closer to it's presentation because things are already in place for the characters reveal. My main point being unless they put everything out there plain as day or it's day beforethe direct it's pretty much a 99% percent chance it's fake. I don't think any blurry Nintendo leak is very reliable... Especially now that people are picking it apart.
I get where you're coming from, but there have been a fair share of blurry Nintendo leaks before. Pokemon Let's Go and of course, Smash 3DS, come to mind.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think the point that zferolie was trying to make is that due to the quality of the image trying to discern these minute details is only going to have us going in circles without being able to actually prove or disprove anything concrete.

Not saying don't try to analyze it, but at this point we aren't going to glean much when people can't agree on what they're even looking at.
Pretty much this yes. This stuff plus that tweet showing how easy it is to make move and remove characters helps point to fake. what we need though is proof the new fighters there are fanmade and not nintendo made. That is the key to prove this fake, and what people should be trying to do.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not saying its just the shantae fans, just saying that i am seeing the other threads here saying we in this thread are acting childish. Nothing wrong with looking for inconsitances, but make sure we make it look professional is all :)

I agree its fine to look, I am just saying other threads are looking at us and thinking we are coming of as spoiled. If we want to prove its fake, then do it, just be aware that this is a blurry image we are looking at and a lot of these inconsitancies could be tied to that
If we're just looking at what doesn't seem right, I see nothing wrong. We're not going off and debating with it. I think of it as scouting. Which is normal.
Youve voiced your concerns. that's ok. I dont think it makes anyone look bad though. (depends who, i guess)
If we want to try to make out stuff, we can look and make guesses. It being blurry doesnt help either case. But doesnt harm to try to make stuff out.

Anyone see how some people saw Sans? :p

Last edited:
Not saying its just the shantae fans, just saying that i am seeing the other threads here saying we in this thread are acting childish. Nothing wrong with looking for inconsitances, but make sure we make it look professional is all :)

I agree its fine to look, I am just saying other threads are looking at us and thinking we are coming of as spoiled. If we want to prove its fake, then do it, just be aware that this is a blurry image we are looking at and a lot of these inconsitancies could be tied to that
I say let them look at us however the hell they want, who cares?. SG just examined what they thought was a smear in the clouds and nobody is calling them childish. Any flaw found can help debunk it and like I said we're absolutely not the only ones trying to find flaws so why should we be the only ones singled out?

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Hey you wont mind if she gets in as an AT wont you?
Like with Shovel Knight, I think any form of indie representation is a huge deal and should be celebrated.

It's just...after all these months of campaigning and hoping and speculating I was reeeeeeeeeeally hoping for a fighter, but maybe I flew too close to the sun or something. Either way if Shantae is in the game in any capacity I'll be happy, but the desire for her to be a fighter will always be there!

zferolie

Smash Hero
I agree, but I don't think much else can be done, at least right now. Until something official happens, I feel like the Smash community is gonna be stuck in a new kind of speculation purgatory.
this smash drought in theory is no where near as bad as brawl or smash 4, its just with the game so close to release and such a small speculation window the hype is x100

If we're just looking at what doesn't seem right, I see nothing wrong. We're not going off and debating with it. I think of it as scouting. Which is normal.
Youve voiced your concerns. that's ok. I dont think it makes anyone look bad though. (depends who, i guess)

Anyone see how some people saw Sans? :p

Certain users is the key word there ;) And lol sans.

I say let them look at us however the hell they want, who cares?. SG just examined what they thought was a smear in the clouds and nobody is calling them childish. Any flaw found can help debunk it and like I said we're absolutely not the only ones trying to find flaws so why should we be the only ones singled out?
True, maybe it just looks more professional when SG is doing it? I don't know. Sorry, I just saw people thinking we are all childish and I know thats far from the case. Shantae fans are a pretty stand up bunch

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Any flaw found can help debunk it and like I said we're absolutely not the only ones trying to find flaws so why should we be the only ones singled out?
It's fine to be skeptical, but remember when people found "flaws" in the ESRB leak? The one that everyone found so many issues with that turned about to be true? Everyone thought Shulk was a photoshopped Little Mac!

No one is stopping anyone from finding inconsistencies, but no matter what we cannot determine if this is real or fake until either the person behind this comes out or Nintendo gives us the official roster. Because of the ESRB leak it is literally impossible to say either way.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
this smash drought in theory is no where near as bad as brawl or smash 4, its just with the game so close to release and such a small speculation window the hype is x100

Certain users is the key word there ;) And lol sans.

True, maybe it just looks more professional when SG is doing it? I don't know. Sorry, I just saw people thinking we are all childish and I know thats far from the case. Shantae fans are a pretty stand up bunch
yeah. Well, to be fair there are children here (or at least, there's some who're more immature)
It's bound to happen when we're talking about games. It does suck if people make representations of fanbases based on the least mature ones. though it does happen.

We can only try our best to bring a good side, I guess :)
(not that we can't try to manage a bit too if we want to)

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
It's fine to be skeptical, but remember when people found "flaws" in the ESRB leak? The one that everyone found so many issues with that turned about to be true? Everyone thought Shulk was a photoshopped Little Mac!

No one is stopping anyone from finding inconsistencies, but no matter what we cannot determine if this is real or fake until either the person behind this comes out or Nintendo gives us the official roster. Because of the ESRB leak it is literally impossible to say either way.
At the very least, its something to do. The speculation game is fun, and trying to tell people not to bother is like telling people not to have fun.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
I get what you're saying, but I doubt anything we do is going to stop other threads from talking about us. Look at the huge number of people lurking but not posting, people are just searching for material to mock Shantae fans regardless of how graceful we take a potential deconfirmation.

Jasper the Tourist

Smash Apprentice
I believe the leak is real. In this case, if Shantae is not revealed to be an AT, then I think she will be DLC, because there’s too much evidence pointing to her being in in some capacity.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I get what you're saying, but I doubt anything we do is going to stop other threads from talking about us. Look at the huge number of people lurking but not posting, people are just searching for material to mock Shantae fans regardless of how graceful we take a potential deconfirmation.
Of course those lurking are not here exclusively to have ammo to mock us with, right? Some people are just curious what the secound biggest newcomer thread has to say.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
At the end of the day the arguments for against this leak can go on forever and no one will really be satisfied until confirmation. That being said if this leak is real I would feel sorry for Sakurai above anyone else. Imagine it from his perspective:

He's been working on this series for about 20 years and in 44 days he will release Ultimate, his magnum opus. The game that he undoubtedly worked countless restless nights to create this grand representation of gaming over the years and personify it in a fighting game. And just a few weeks shy of the Direct where the last of the characters for the base roster will be announced, some random guy from a marketing design company leaks the whole thing on snapchat with a generic LOL emoji on it.

I can guess he didn't feel too good about Ryu and Simon being leaked early and all the hype dying away and this would definitely feel even worse. So for Sakurai's sake I hope its fake so we can have some surprises for the Direct (Hopefully Shantae but what can you do).

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Of course those lurking are not here exclusively to have ammo to mock us with, right? Some people are just curious what the secound biggest newcomer thread has to say.
I mean, of course people are going to look into a leak this big. We havent gotten jack for information in over a month, and something like this drops out of nowhere. It's the Smash community. We're going to look at it.

Many of us are here because we genuinely think and hope Shantae is a fighter, and it's kind of rude that so many are using the recent "leak" as an excuse to dismiss everything we have here, even though nothing of it has been truly confirmed. Yes, we all accept we may be wrong, but we are willing to take that risk because we care about a newcomer. Theres a difference between speculation, and essentially telling people there's no more hope (when that is clearly not true).

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Absolutely, perhaps I'm just a pessimist, I'm just aware of the droves of people who consider Shantae a never ever pick and mock anyone who supports her.

We're second biggest? Nice.

TheBeastHimself

I think Shantae will be DLC, but I wanted to leave this message to Shantae fans:

Do not believe this leak 100%, as that will make you disappointed now. And at the same time, do not find a couple of things wrong with the leak and then turn a blind eye to the leak, because that will make you disappointed later.

[QUOTE="EarlTamm, post: 22588172, member: 400170"Some people are just curious what the secound biggest newcomer thread has to say.[/QUOTE]

I'm one of 'em!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean, of course people are going to look into a leak this big. We havent gotten jack for information in over a month, and something like this drops out of nowhere. It's the Smash community. We're going to look at it.
No, I mean that people are naturally gonna want to see what the secound biggest newcomer thread has to say about the leak. All eyes are on us, be it negative or positive.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
There can be a process to debunking things. There's no harm in looking at things that dont match, so long as we dont go claiming conclusions based on little things found and gueses.

One of the issues to most of it is that the image is just too blurry. Which is a point Against the leak. But since there's so many people who overlook that, actually finding some stuff that might be covered up by the blurriness could reveal some things.
Enhanced images of it might show some things. There's a few things that are off here and there for sure, but it's not enough to say anything definitive for now.

Last edited:

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
I get where you're coming from, but there have been a fair share of blurry Nintendo leaks before. Pokemon Let's Go and of course, Smash 3DS, come to mind.
I'm not saying it's impossible just not very likely especially with sakurai at the helm. He also took away adventure mode because it was leaked before (what the hell!!!) and we do hear of nda's relating to companies they partner with in smash so he definitely is more cautious. Besides everyone was pretty quick to take this leak seriously. You know i get it though. You guys see somethings in the leak that can come of as being credible and that has some of our favorite characters attached to it. But i also think its important to take a step back and consider everything. And when you do having a blurry picture does take a lot of points away from it even with past legit leaks.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace

Look. I know a lot of people are here regarding the latest leak, trying to see what the hubbub is over on the most popular newcomer discussions on Smashboards, which is great. However, those of you who are just trying to spread negativity and dismiss any sort of hope aren't helping, and many people here find this entire forum as something more than "Sakurai, add this character because I like them". We all understand the risks, and we all know the shortcomings ahead. However, we are going to keep pulling ahead because many of us aren't going to give up until its truly the end, and even then we won't lose hope. Everyone loves a newcomer every Smash season, and trying to completely dismiss one because of a single "leak" goes right against what is so great about it.

Im happy some of you are hear to support Shantae, or might be curious about what is all going on here. However, if you are here to just look for dirt to laugh at a newcomer fanbase, or here to try to derail discussion to hatred or despair, you really should re-examine what Smash speculation truly is and stop trying to ruin the fun of others. Even if we are wrong, we'll still be damn glad we stuck with it until the end.,

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Look, just be happy if it turns out to be real. If Shantae gets in as an Assist, that's the next best thing! She'll have a fully-rigged 3D model that will be ripped and used in SFM/GMod videos in no time. Same with Shovel Knight.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Look. I know a lot of people are here regarding the latest leak, trying to see what the hubbub is over on the most popular newcomer discussions on Smashboards, which is great. However, those of you who are just trying to spread negativity and dismiss any sort of hope aren't helping, and many people here find this entire forum as something more than "Sakurai, add this character because I like them". We all understand the risks, and we all know the shortcomings ahead. However, we are going to keep pulling ahead because many of us aren't going to give up until its truly the end, and even then we won't lose hope. Everyone loves a newcomer every Smash season, and trying to completely dismiss one because of a single "leak" goes right against what is so great about it.

Im happy some of you are hear to support Shantae, or might be curious about what is all going on here. However, if you are here to just look for dirt to laugh at a newcomer fanbase, or here to try to derail discussion to hatred or despair, you really should re-examine what Smash speculation truly is and stop trying to ruin the fun of others. Even if we are wrong, we'll still be damn glad we stuck with it until the end.,
I dont think there's that many people like that around here, you dont need to worry too much (even if I could be wrong). Smashboards is pretty alright, I think ;)

Even if Shantae were in the leak, I would probably try to see if it can be debunked, it would suck to be suckered in by a fake leak.
And I think DLC is a legit phase for any fighter, including shantae, in any case, even if this were the base roster. s'all good really.
(and youre right most of us wont give up in any case)

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Nice of you to drop in!
Thank you! :)

You know, I've heard that sometimes people poke fun at Shantae fans. I can't really say I'm a Shantae fan myself because I only know that she's a purple haired half genie. So from an outsider's perspective, I honestly think it's pretty immature and ridiculous that people go out of their way to spread hatred towards you guys. There's literally no point! I've never played a Shantae game, so I personally can't say that I would want her in Smash. But does that mean that I would be upset if she got in or make fun of people if she didn't? Of course not! That's so stupid.

Listen, if you guys continue getting hate, you don't even have to listen to that. I know I just made an entire post about haters but the more you acknowledge them, the more they will try to get reactions out of you guys. What they have to say means absolutely nothing, they're probably 8-12 years old anyway.

So yes, even though this leak doesn't show her, go Shantae!

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

Thats the kicker aint it. Its true, no mater what we or anyone else finds, unless its the actual models used in this leak, we won't know one way or another till either the leakers comes clean or sakurai gives us new info.

yeah. Well, to be fair there are children here (or at least, there's some who're more immature)
It's bound to happen when we're talking about games. It does suck if people make representations of fanbases based on the least mature ones. though it does happen.

We can only try our best to bring a good side, I guess :)
(not that we can't try to manage a bit too if we want to)
That is true, didn't take that into consideration and it explains a few things.

true, and personally I love all this talk, at least we have SOMETHING to talk about right now haha

D

Deleted member

Since day one I have accepted she may not be in base game.
I obviously want her. But I've always had a contingent plans for all possible outcomes.

It's really just one plan for everything. Never stop supporting her.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I’ll just leave it up to the next direct now. Over on the Isaac thread we are supporting and believing this supposed leak but I understand how some of you here want the opposite to be true. I’m going to hope for the best regarding Shantae and Isaac both and remain optimistic that they will both get in as fighters in base or future dlc. I wish you guys the best of luck from here on out. Don’t stop supporting our favorite half genie and be strong. She will make it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
You guys might want to check this out regarding the new leak, there's more info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b3QRObLD54&feature=youtu.be
I like papagenos, but I dont think that many people would know the actual roster or share it. Probably is more people hearing things passed around and sharing it as if there's a source. Just saying someone is 'very credible' is not enough. :/

one positive of this leak's roster is that there's a good number of characters.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Also I wanted to say something. This isn't me trying to sound like a negative nancy, but I wanted to ask you guys something. Let's say that this leak is real. That means we would be getting 7 newcomers on top of the 9 officially confirmed ones, adding up to 16 brand new characters total. Would it be greedy, then, to ask or expect there to be DLC? Especially because Sakurai said "I hope you aren't expecting too many new challengers", and 16 already feels like way too many (in the context of that statement).

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Also I wanted to say something. This isn't me trying to sound like a negative nancy, but I wanted to ask you guys something. Let's say that this leak is real. That means we would be getting 7 newcomers on top of the 9 officially confirmed ones, adding up to 16 brand new characters total. Would it be greedy, then, to ask or expect there to be DLC? Especially because Sakurai said "I hope you aren't expecting too many new challengers", and 16 already feels like way too many (in the context of that statement).
If anything more characters for base would mean theyre more amped than we thought, and we can expect more DLC characters.

It's also money, so it only makes sense that they would squeeze in more if they think they'll selll.
And Bear in mind the switch is way more popular than the wii u too.

Last edited:

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
I've been wanting to get that off my chest mainly because people have been soo ready to jump ship. But I do think issac, geno, and maybe banjo and sora are coming along with shantae lol.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Many people have been saying that it's referring to non-echoes, so it'd be the lowest amount of actual newcomers at about 10 (correct me if wrong), and the reason most of us are expecting DLC is because this is the day and age where DLC is a big part of gaming, and it'd make no sense to go from having DLC in Smash 4 to nothing in Ultimate, especially when other Nintendo games have expansions that are almost able to be their own games, like the Mario + Rabbids DK expansion, Xenoblade 2 Torna Expansion, and Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion.

Edit: Oh and Torna was released as a standalone game

Last edited:

hassoutobi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5344-2558-0842
Switch FC
SW 7858-1447-7386
i got most of what i want, so the only dlc character i need left is Shantae. im very content with the roster as it is, its just Shantae is my #1 and it'd be insane if i got her. i got my #5 (Isabelle). i got my #4 (Daisy). i got my #3 (Simon). i got my #2 (Shadow). safe to say; im buying this game no matter what. but Shantae would just be the hugest cherry on top and bring this to an 11/10.

plus i dont expect a smash sequel for most of a decade after a game like this. DLC is Shantae's and a lot of other character's do or die tbh (Bandana Dee, Ayumi, Rex, etc.)

i think before any sequels they'll use this game as a platform and support it with plenty of new content anyhow.

Hyfiner

Smash Apprentice
I'm assuming that Sakurai's quote was in relation to the base roster It wouldn't be out of the question to have DLC especially the publicity that came with it and the smash ballot. Also DLC fighters can make some extra sales their way who doesn't like more money?

Also on a side note the last smash direct said the game has 103 stages and all 103 have been revealed (believe me I've counted) which means that none of the newcomers (except inkling/Simon) are getting an accompanying stage which seems a little weird. If this leak is real why bring in all these extra newcomers then not have a stage to represent them? Maybe my tinfoil hat's a bit on too tight but it's something I've been thinking about.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
Honestly, I don't care if it comes off as greedy. I never asked for the characters supposedly in the leak, so I'm still not satisfied on that front for this game. Once I get either Shantae, Phoenix Wright, or a Persona character I will be content, but until then this is all just a "so what" moment for me.

Top Bottom