• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
I mean yeah but if it was fake, he sure did have to go through alot of trouble (such as rearranging characters and making that linkedin profile)
"Sigh" After seeing soo many different things get fake leaks online from people wanting to get a few moments of recognition I don't put it past anyone not to do that

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
"Sigh" After seeing soo many different things get fake leaks online from people wanting to get a few moments of recognition I don't put it past anyone not to do that
I don't know, there's too many little things (like the random Grinch movie promotional stuff in the background) that makes this easy to accept as a real leak.

Also, Sakurai wanted both Chorus Kids and Mach Rider in earlier games, so this makes perfect sense.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
The french leaker's name is known,his workplace he is a graphic designer for a French company owned by Bandai Namco, so he could quite easily fake something like this given his occupation.

Also he is ****ed if this is infact real since we know his name.

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
The french leaker's name is known,his workplace he is a graphic designer for a French company owned by Bandai Namco, so he could quite easily fake something like this given his occupation.

Also he is ****ed if this is infact real since we know his name.
Yeah, he can kiss his entire career goodbye if it's real. Ninty is gonna drop that hammer and make sure he's black listed.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Interesting roster, I honestly wouldn't mind KOS-MOS, and if it confirms Mach Rider is female thats cool. No Shantae is sad but if this is true could mean DLC

The thing that hurts this though is the blurriness, and the fact that as far as I can tell, no characters have moved. Every time a character is added the others move around to fit them better. its VERy hard to tell due to the blurriness but it doesn't seem like this happened, unless someone could confirm
I wouldn't be mad if KOS-MOS made it in. And how does it confirm Mach Rider as female?

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
If this leak is indeed real, then it means one of three things:

(1) Shantae is an Assist Trophy character.
(2) Shantae is a regular Trophy or sticker.
(3) Shantae is not in at launch.

Grimacebsx

Smash Apprentice
I don't know, there's too many little things (like the random Grinch movie promotional stuff in the background) that makes this easy to accept as a real leak.

Also, Sakurai wanted both Chorus Kids and Mach Rider in earlier games, so this makes perfect sense.
If the picture was clearer yeah i could maybe take that seriously but as is no. (I think it's funny how these leaked images always seem to be blurry for one reason or another... And kinda convenient )

Prodis

Smash Rookie
A new leak came up, and so far nobody has been able to truly debunk it. It's blurry, but thats because its screenshots that come from a snapshat story.

I have no idea if its real, but it doesn't seem to have Shantae Please prove me wrong. We'll likely have to sit on it for awhile, as while it hasn't be debunked, it hasn't been confirmed yet.

Im off to bed. Please try to remain calm and not jump to conclusions.
I'd say fake, since it's blurrier than a Bigfoot family reunion photo. You'd think kthe dude would be able to get a clean image with a static picture.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Stop giving up hope on the drop of a hat. There is currently nothing that's confirming this leak is real.

It's blurry as hell, which makes me think that someone deliberately made it blurry so it would be taken seriously. You're telling me in this day and age not one of these tech-savvy leakers is capable of taking a clear picture? What made the ESRB leak believable was that it came with clear pictures.

Plus, we know who this leaker is. Why would they risk their job? This person is likely going to be fired, blacklisted in the industry, and probably sued by Nintendo. That's not worth the price of a few weeks of internet fame.

And even if it is real, there's nothing that says Shantae can't be DLC. Stop believing in the worst possible outcome for the sake of lowering expectations.

Last edited:

NukeA6

Smash Master
This leak is actually believable unlike Vergeben's final two but blurriness kills it so bad. I'm calling it fake because this 2018, not 1998. Nobody takes photos with this much bad quality anymore. Even my smart phone does better.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I’m still leaning on shantae becoming future dlc if the leak is real. We don’t know for sure if she becomes another assist trophy yet, so I’m going to hold my head up high and keep believing in her chances. I’m leaning on the leak being real cause Isaac and geno are my top 2 with banjo being ranked behind shantae for me. The next direct will reveal the truth. BRING ON NOVEMBER!!!!!

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
What's to have stopped the "leaker" from simply finding the info of Eric and adding his name in to make it seem more credible?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
This leak is actually believable unlike Vergeben's final two but blurriness kills it so bad. I'm calling it fake because this 2018, not 1998. Nobody takes photos with this much bad quality anymore. Even my smart phone does better.
Remember ESRB had blurry imagery too.

Not saying it’s real, but just putting pen to paper.

NukeA6

Smash Master

Well if that's true, then I guess the blurriness is on purpose. I got nothing against the leak BTW. I will be glad Vergeben is wrong.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Okay, morning folks! What's u-

Oh dear, it's end times. So, the full base roster has potentially been leaked, huh?
Allons-y...

It ha Shadow, Ken, Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, Isaac, Banjo&Kazooie, and Geno and supposedly KOS-MOS.

DYLLY GET IN HERE WE GOT ANOTHER DOUBLE POSTER!
Huh, that is a very cool roster, and I'd be perfectly fine with that. I mean, having no Shantae would be disappointing, but freaking KOS-MOS?! That can almost make it up for me.

He says in a double post, himself. ;p
I really don't buy that "leak" I can't say where, but both the image of Banjo and Chorus Kids seem familiar. Plus all those characters being added and Dixie not being one of them seems incredibly unlikely. I mean if there were two or three chargers left and Dixie wasn't there, it would be disappointing, but getting 6+ new characters and not including the last of Nintendo's all-stars who still isn't in Smash seems ridiculous.
Not necessarily? I wouldn't even call her a Nintendo All-Star, she's nowhere near as well known as Donkey and Diddy.
But yeah, this leak seems pretty hard to debunk. It was pieced together by the guy's Snapchat video and had a few other miscellaneous leaks for Christmas season merch, like the new Grinch. His text on the video was also "**** Nintendo" in French. If this is real, this dude is so getting the **** sued out if him by Ninty.
It was the French, huh? That explains it... (Sorry Majesty! I love you. :nervous:)
Also, yeah, may his career, and life in generalm rest in pepperoni, if this is indeed real.
Mach Rider and Chorus Kids seem unlikely to me
Why is that? They have both been considered by Sakurai at points. Also, is Mach Rider really female in this? If so, that's really cool!

Again I should mention, the leaker initially took this as a snapchat video knowing full well it wouldn't be saved and he kept the video in motion so any screenshots would automatically be blurry. This seems painfully deliberate and let's not forget that the ESRB leak had video evidence of the characters fighting so this isn't the same scenario.

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman

Press F to pay respects time.

The one thing I'm not sold on is this doesn't close the loop on the evidence. There's nothing here that matches the purple and gold chairs or the couch in the background from the 8/8 direct. There'd be no reason for WayForward to be dead silent, or keep to Shantae out of the other indie games.

But Isaac hype tho. WOOOO

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Shantae will either be an Assist or DLC Fighter if this is real. I'm perfectly content with either of those scenarios.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

My respects are paid. F

Banjo hype makes it all up for me.

Okay, morning folks! What's u-

Oh dear, it's end times. So, the full base roster has potentially been leaked, huh?
Allons-y...

Huh, that is a very cool roster, and I'd be perfectly fine with that. I mean, having no Shantae would be disappointing, but freaking KOS-MOS?! That can almost make it up for me.

He says in a double post, himself. ;p

Not necessarily? I wouldn't even call her a Nintendo All-Star, she's nowhere near as well known as Donkey and Diddy.

It was the French, huh? That explains it... (Sorry Majesty! I love you. :nervous:)
Also, yeah, may his career, and life in generalm rest in pepperoni, if this is indeed real.

Why is that? They have both been considered by Sakurai at points. Also, is Mach Rider really female in this? If so, that's really cool!
Heihachi and Takamaru were also once considered by Sakurai and they aren't playable. Also the only reason Mach Rider has been popping up lately is because of the "tradition/fan rule" that every Smash must have a "retro rep" and since so far every newcomer has been a long-requested character or a ballot pick I think we won't be getting a retro rep this time. Also Sakurai never said he wanted Chorus Kids, people found a Rhythm Heaven icon in the files of Smash 4 and just assumed that Chorus Kids were meant to be playable.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
I wouldn't be mad if KOS-MOS made it in. And how does it confirm Mach Rider as female?
Seems like the KOS-MOS thing was just clouds, not a character, so thats 7 characters on this banner

Oh doesn't confirm Mach Rider is a female, but we still don't know if mach rider is a female or not, as the arcade was hinting she was maybe

Its most likely Assist or DLC. Wayforward wouldn't have been this quiet if she wasn't in at all.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Seems like the KOS-MOS thing was just clouds, not a character, so thats 7 characters on this banner

Oh doesn't confirm Mach Rider is a female, but we still don't know if mach rider is a female or not, as the arcade was hinting she was maybe

Its most likely Assist or DLC. Wayforward wouldn't have been this quiet if she wasn't in at all.
Even if so, why keep her out of all those indie fighting crossovers?

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I've looked over that blurry mess and I don't see where KOS-MOS could be. But without her or another character, we'll have an odd number of fighters.

Shantae as an assist trophy would sting a bit, but I'd be fine for dlc. And if KOS-MOS is in, that would be a swell consolation prize.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Even if so, why keep her out of all those indie fighting crossovers?
Here is my theory. Wayforward was contacted early on for Shantae in smash, and work started for her, but the then decided to move her to early DLC due to time constraints. That would explain the silence, and also explain how Daisy is hip bumping and looking at nothing, as Shantae was planned for that spot, and can still go there with DLC. I can still see them updating the banner post launch.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord

You do realize that in cases 2 and 3, she could still become a playable character later, right?

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
So...where is that tiny banner suppose to go? It can't be the spine of the case because we've already seen that, and like all games it's just the standard red with text?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Yeah, but I have a gut feeling she's an Assist if this leak turns out to be true.
Well, someone get a clear picture of that leak, then we will see.

In fact, now that I think about it: Someone managed to unblur the censor over the "Mysterious Mode" in the 8/8 Direct, revealing the word "Spirits".
Couldn't someone do the same here?

Also why is it blurry in the first place?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Ok, so while driving into work, I was thinking about this leak, and it does line up with a lot of things

It fits the blog theory. Blog theory could fit 7 characters if we get 2 weeks of 4 characters shown.

It fits Music Icon Thoery. There are 3 music icons left on the music select screen

sound test screen.png

With that Banner, that would have Icons for Banjo Kazzoie Series, Golden sun series, and Rhythm Heaven Series. Mach Rider wouldn't get a music icon, and Geno can just get a Mario Icon and his music be there.

It fits 108 stages. Banjo and Kazooie gets a stage, Isaac gets a stage, Chorus Kids gets a stage, Geno gets a stage, and we get that rumored Minecraft stage. It would make sense that Nintendo said if we get Banjo and Kazooie we will also put in a minecraft stage.

The ONLY thing it doesn't fit is being a multiple of 4 for smash down, as this is 79 fighters. HOWEVER, if Mii fighters aren't in smash down(they didn't appear on the preveiw they showed of it during the august 8th direct), that would be 76 fighters and that is a multiple of 4. If Mii fighters are in then maybe there is 1 more echo MIA on the banner.

So what does this mean for Shantae? I still think she is a fighter, and was planned to be one, same as Inceniroar. But due to time constraints she and incineroar got moved to early DLC, maybe with other possible echos like Dixie and Medusa. I mean, I am sure Daisy is hip bumping Shantae, and they could have designed the art before they moved her to early DLC(hopefully free DLC), and I am sure the banner will be updated with DLC

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So...where is that tiny banner suppose to go? It can't be the spine of the case because we've already seen that, and like all games it's just the standard red with text?
I have a feeling that may just be for some promotional stuff. The guy this came from works(though most likely WORKED now), at a cardboard making company that does promotional stuff.

I actually want this leak to be real. Yeah, I know there's no Shantae, but Isaac, Banjo, and my girl KOS-MOS, would make up for her nonappearance for me.

I mean, Daisy is also doing it here. :/

So, umm... uhh?
They just took the art from the banner and put them around randomly there. See sonic is running on thin air

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I've always said that if Shantae isn't base roster she will be DLC. Unless she's deconfirmed as an Assist, there is nothing that stops her from being DLC. There's way too much evidence for her not to be in at all.

Michel

Smash Rookie
I don't know why people are believing this leak, especially when it conflicts with both Vergaben and box theory, two things which people hold as gospel.

And why is it that every leaker is unable to take a clear photograph? It's almost as if they deliberately make it blurry so it's more believable.

I also don't think KOS-MOS has a chance, so I'm calling fake on this one.
Do your research bud, it was from a snapchat story, screenshooting it, of course it is gonna be blurry

zferolie

Smash Hero
I've always said that if Shantae isn't base roster she will be DLC. Unless she's deconfirmed as an Assist, there is nothing that stops her from being DLC. There's way too much evidence for her not to be in at all.
Exactly. I mean there is that small chance she is an AT, but I doubt it atm

Do your research bud, it was from a snapchat story, screenshooting it, of course it is gonna be blurry
Also want to point out that Inceniroar could be DLC, since he got released way past the deciding roster for the game, and Verge only heard about the name recently due the them finalizing which gen 7 pokemon would be DLC recently

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Now that I think about it: Can someone check if the positions of the known characters have changed in that "leaked" image?

I mean in recent official reveals of characters, characters were moved around in that artwork, to make room for the new characters.
Did the same thing happen here?

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Now that I think about it: Can someone check of the positions of the known characters have changed in that "leaked" image?

I mean in recent official reveals of characters, characters were moved around in that artwork, to make room for the new characters.
Yup.

Otherwise, I'd say this leak wouldn't be anywhere near as wide spread as it is.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Now that I think about it: Can someone check if the positions of the known characters have changed in that "leaked" image?

Yup characters have been moved. The Mii fighters are all together, Jigglypuff is in a different place and we see her full art as well

D

Deleted member

You know what guys I finally come to the point where I don’t mind shantae as an assist or dlc but if she is an assist I will be extremely happy she’s in the game in that form besides she gonna be with SK after so long being absent she would make great dlc for blade strangers if there is any.
But hey we have Isaac geno BANJO!!!!! GUH-HUH!! So that’s sweet and no tony the fire tiger and Steve from minecrap meaning verge is debunked!!!! Yay!! Also remember this assists are considered special guests not humiliating a character also Matt and Erin would be through the roof to see their daughter in the new game as an assist if she is one i had fun/sad/weird times with all of you but it’s time to say goodbye. But if you want you can support banjo with me in the banjo thread your free to go right ahead like I am ( Teeb147 Teeb147 GoldLiger GoldLiger would you like to support the banjo thread with me?)but she could be for dlc we just don’t know anyway guy I love you all and I want to thank you all for being with me but now I got a dynamic duo to support join me if you want I don’t care and no mater what shantae will be a great assist and if she is one I can just make a mii out of her so no worries:)
Anyway thank you and goodbye!
:disco:;):bluejump:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom