• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Going off of Rondo of Blood, he can't aim his whip or tether onto things.

Ness & Lucas's moves just won't work in Smash. Healing is cheap, their raw psychic energy covers their signature attacks and Shield is covered by something everyone can do in Smash.

Ganondorf does not represent what you're arguing, unless you're saying Falcon was specifically designed to model Ganondorf off of at a later date. If that sounds silly, it's because it is. Clones are never "planned" the same way new fighters are, they're more opportunistic or, in worst case scenarios like Ganondorf, desperate measures to get a beloved character in at any cost.
You're just using plain game mechanics for Richter. Any human can aim a whip and most fictional whip users can tether things. Simon lacks Richter's magical abilities and his acrobatics which is a lot different. I mean, he's been in more games than every Belmont so if he had those abilities, they would've been displayed. He really has nothing special even in Castlevania Judgement.

Ness and Lucas could have easily used PK Rockin/Love for their final smash but why Starstorm was chosen is beyond me. Plus, PK Paralysis could have easily been PK Fire since the latter nearly does the same thing.

As for Ganondorf, he may not have been planned for Melee but he was brought back for the next two games without much change put into him. Funny enough, Link has more drastic changes to him in Ultimate than Ganondorf has now. He at least uses his sword now and I wonder what took Sakurai that long to do so.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
In the future i'll try to drop my insights in lesser bulks :p
I'm just focused on certain things right now i guess.

Anyway, I really enjoy the thought of shantae being in smash. it's going to be so fun if that's the case. I'm even thinking I'd main her regardless of how she plays, which is rare for me to decide, if I do ;p, but yeah I'll just need secondaries to balance if I find myself feeling lacking in how she feels to me. First using Shantae, then switch if I dont feel satisfied with a match :)

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
You know what would be the ultimate fan service?

Shantae's final smash having Bolo, Rottytops, and Sky in it.

Im not entirely sure what could be her final smash, but I know for sure there's potential.

Last edited:

ActualGarbage

Smash Ace

Im not entirely sure what could be her final smash, but I know for sure there's potential.
They all stand in a circle highschool bully style and just kick the opponents for the final Smash.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

That has been brought up before, it would probably work like Robin’s Pair Up from 4, if they’re willing to make 3D models of her friends, then I’m all for it.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

Hm...this or Rotty assist trophy? Probably this.

Regardless, knowing Sakurai, watch an assist from Shantae be some total rando like a Naga.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

I really like that. I'd love for the series to have the representation in the FS, rather than something that's only shantae-based. :)
I dont know how much i'll play with smash balls, but it'll be great for the series, as well as for other characters that are fun to see around :)

Considering the trend we saw with certain final smashes, it wouldnt surprise me if they would actually go that route.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hm...this or Rotty assist trophy? Probably this.

Regardless, knowing Sakurai, watch an assist from Shantae be some total rando like a Naga.
I’m hoping Patricia Wagon if not for specifically Shantae’s assist, then as an assist in general, maybe she could have her and a character from her series considering both Capcom and Konami have another series represented by an assist

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I’m hoping Patricia Wagon if not for specifically Shantae’s assist, then as an assist in general, maybe she could have her and a character from her series considering both Capcom and Konami have another series represented by an assist
I'd rather a Cat Girl without Salad assist, actually, but Patricia would still be cool.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
What did you have in mind for her abilities as an assist?
Hmm, well, I'd say there could be something revolving around the gun cartridges. Maybe Kebako could use a different one each times she's summoned, though that is probably a bit too hopeful.

It'd be cool for her to spout out some dialogue as well, like "I'm ready to shoot stuff! Who's are bounty today, Squiddie?", before going and targeting the players. I dunno. :ohwell:

zferolie

Smash Hero
Looks like we got 3 smash spotlights again this week, with Palutena finally showing up(hope this means Medusa soon :) )

So if I did my math right we got 55 of the 72 unique fighters(pokemon trainer is 1). that means there are still 17 more currently known fighters to be shown onto the blog. 7 full weeks, with 5 days a week of updates. if we keep the 3 character spotlights a week, hat means it will take 6 weeks to show everyone with 1 extra, so that would be 4 more characters if this speed doesn't slow down. It could speed up too, but at most I am leaning towards another 4 on top of that, so 8 more characters. Could happen, the weeks after a first we could get a few at once or 2 on the same day.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hmm, well, I'd say there could be something revolving around the gun cartridges. Maybe Kebako could use a different one each times she's summoned, though that is probably a bit too hopeful.

It'd be cool for her to spout out some dialogue as well, like "I'm ready to shoot stuff! Who's are bounty today, Squiddie?", before going and targeting the players. I dunno. :ohwell:
Fair enough, if she was a bit more well known as well as her game having easier access, she could be interesting and unexpected

My idea for Patty was for her to jump around shooting her pellet gun while her helmet automatically turns on and off the blocks that appear on the stage. Like in her game and with Bowser’s new Final Smash, anyone caught within the outline of block when switched on are Screen KOed and the blocks act as platforms changing up the stage. She can be attacked and Screen KOed as well if you get her within the blocks switching on as well

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I've been trying to get on top of the speculation scene. So far, it really does seem like Shantae is the current frontrunner in terms of speculation, aside from the ever present "Geno and Anyone Verge Says". Anyone post this yet?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I've been trying to get on top of the speculation scene. So far, it really does seem like Shantae is the current frontrunner in terms of speculation, aside from the ever present "Geno and Anyone Verge Says". Anyone post this yet?
I’m pretty sure one of us here made that actually

Also I forgot about how cute her Mutant Mudds sprite was

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
No, not at all.

I'm just in shock really.
Okay. I thought I was in trouble!

I just wanted his thoughts on recent changes in the Shantae speculation scene, considering she is quickly growing in popularity because of the Jammies Mode DLC and such. He was also someone who supported her originally (saying that she was "a better choice than Shovel Knight")

He's more so focused on Isaac from Golden Sun, but he's a pretty decent Smash Bros Ultimate youtuber. He tries to examine and pick at leaks, rather than just reading them at face value.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
If that was somehow a bad thing, I would like to apologize immediately.
https://youtu.be/FrS_xfb-RKs
Heh, good work! Though I actually don't remember when the original spreadsheet was posted... Though I feel it's in the Sub-100's area of posts. Back when 8/8 was all the rage and we were speculating whom will come in during September.

It's also making the rounds over on KnowYourMeme. Because it was posted on Twitter. Anyone got the newer spreadsheets?

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Heh, good work! Though I actually don't remember when the original spreadsheet was posted... Though I feel it's in the Sub-100's area of posts. Back when 8/8 was all the rage and we were speculating whom will come in during September.
The spreadsheet can't be from then, considering Jammies Mode came as a surprise August 31st, weeks later.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Actually... that guy is cool. I get a tad stressed when you guys send that sheet around willy nilly but he seems open minded so whatever.

I'm ready for this damn game to hit shelves. Show me Shantae and I'll be at the store at 6:00 AM ready to pick up my copy.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Actually... that guy is cool. I get a tad stressed when you guys send that sheet around willy nilly but he seems open minded so whatever.

I'm ready for this damn game to hit shelves. Show me Shantae and I'll be at the store at 6:00 AM ready to pick up my copy.
Oh, I would say BillyBo10k and PapaGenos are the only really good Smash Ultimate youtubers. Others are really clickbaity.

Also, sorry for contributing to your stress by randomly sending it!

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Oh, I would say BillyBo10k and PapaGenos are the only really good Smash Ultimate youtubers. Others are really clickbaity.

Also, sorry for contributing to your stress by randomly sending it!
Throw in RelaxAlax and I would agree with you.

K4tr1

Smash Rookie
So uh...not really related but this has been driving me batty all day. At E3(I THINK) there was a game revealed that had a kind of Breath of the Wild look to it, female protagonist, a mount with antlers...I can't remember the darn name of it...anyone know what I'm talking about?
I think the one you are thinking of is Decay of Logos. Took me a while to find the name of it.

Anyways, hi everybody! I'm just another lurker who's been reading all the stuff written about our favorite half-genie hero.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

I'm hoping my preorder at my local gamestop is doing midnight release.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I think the one you are thinking of is Decay of Logos. Took me a while to find the name of it.

Anyways, hi everybody! I'm just another lurker who's been reading all the stuff written about our favorite half-genie hero.
Welcome aboard!

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
You know, after doing a bit of research, Nintendo seems to treat Shantae awfully similarly to Shovel Knight, especially on the 3DS. For example, Shantae was actually featured on the Splash Screen of the Indie section of the 3DS Eshop earlier this year, and both franchises are tied at 3 premium 3DS themes each. The only advantage I see Shovel Knight having is an amiibo.

On another note, can anyone actually find the statistics regarding sales for the games? I find it odd how Shantae is considered a best seller on the 3DS, yet barely sold 100,000 copies. Is there a possible reason for this? The Shantae fanbase seems to be pretty bustling for a number like that. We're also the 2nd most popular newcomer thread currently on Smashboards, with the 2nd most replies and views.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
You know, after doing a bit of research, Nintendo seems to treat Shantae awfully similarly to Shovel Knight, especially on the 3DS. For example, Shantae was actually featured on the Splash Screen of the Indie section of the 3DS Eshop earlier this year, and both franchises are tied at 3 premium 3DS themes each. The only advantage I see Shovel Knight having is an amiibo.
Which isn't really a Nintendo advantage since Yacht Club were the ones who produced and distributed the amiibo. Any company can approach Nintendo and say "we would like to make amiibo for our game/franchise" if that company is willing to foot the bill for production and distribution, then all Nintendo really does is agree to allow them to use the amiibo name and technology.

So them making their own amiibo is in no way a sign of greater favor from Nintendo. Now if Nintendo approached them and said "amiibo of your character will sell well. We want to make said amiibo because it will make is money, can we pay you for the license to make them?" Then yeah, that would be Nintendo showing a greater than usual interest in someone. Anyway, that wasn't the case this time.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
You know... I have been thinking. I've been on the Shantae train since Ultimate was announced, but I never really thought about who to support if and when she is confirmed. Who are you guys going to hop to in the event she does get in?
Sora and Elma. Sora'd be my last big want for Smash, and Elma is rad and I think she'd be a cool addition with her dual wielding swords and guns. Then I think I'm just out of additions that could happen for Smash and I guess I'll support someone dumb and cool that has little to no chance of getting in like Kazuma Kiryu or something.

Top Bottom