• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My fave before deconfirmation was Krystal. :/
I found some art of Shantae dressed like Krystal, and also one of Krystal dressed like Shantae :p

{/spoiler]

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
There aren't many characters I want at this point. I guess maybe all that's less is Impa and Dixie and since they, assuming they do happen, would probably be echoes, I think I'd be content assuming Shantae got in...as far as characters are concerned. I still want confirmation that there's a significant amount of single player content.
Oh! Dixie! How'd I forget her? Ok, if Shantae gets in, Dixie becomes my next most wanted (honestly she's really the biggest character Nintendo has who still isn't playable)

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
"Mr. Bozon, I don't feel so good"
View attachment 170598
I remember I had an idea when I first saw this: What would Shantae be like if she turned evil? Not like turned into Nega, but actually turned evil of her own free will (with an evil plan, henchmen and everything)? Would she try to make her friends her henchmen? The Barons? Risky (and if so, would any of them join her?)? What would her evil goal be? What would her plan be to get there? Would she be willing to stoop to killing to achieve her evil goal? What kind of Half-Genie Villain would she be?

(I know she's too good a person to actually do that, but what if?)

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm supporting Shantae and Bandana Dee at the same time, so if one gets in I'm going 100% on the other one.

As for someone else who I'd probably support in addition to Bandana Dee, I'm split between Rex + Pyra, Spring Man, Octoling and Euden [from Dragalia Lost] (good luck making a unique moveset for that guy). Basically a lot of Switch-era guys that would be DLC if they were to get in.
I almos forgot about Banana Dee. That's another one I wouldn't mind seeing in :)
And tbh, he's probably a shoe in, considering how many votes he gets and is Nintendo. I just wonder how his playstyle would translate to smash.

There's probably some others I forgot about :p

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
Anyone think Sakurai would potentially AT BOTH of the popular Indie picks, or maybe make one a Fighter and the other an AT?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Anyone think Sakurai would potentially AT BOTH of the popular Indie picks, or maybe make one a Fighter and the other an AT?
I would say that he could do either or and I personally wouldn't care at the prospect. However, you have to stop obsessively think about "the absolute worst case scenarios" because it does nothing but tire all of us out, you included. And really, I'm one to accept ATs as at least being something of a message from Sakurai stating "I heard you, but I'm sorry I couldn't think up of a good moveset for her" in a way or form.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I would say that he could do either or and I personally wouldn't care at the prospect. However, you have to stop obsessively think about "the absolute worst case scenarios" because it does nothing but tire all of us out, you included. And really, I'm one to accept ATs as at least being something of a message from Sakurai stating "I heard you, but I'm sorry I couldn't think up of a good moveset for her" in a way or form.
I doubt he would give that excuse to Shantae, as she has more than enough moves to pull from and WayForward already drawing up a potential moveset for her.

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I would be surprised if he couldn't think of a moveset, considering the sheer amount of material she has. Even if you just draw from Pirates Curse and HGH there's a bunch. Im personally just hoping for her in general, but my dream is her as a fighter.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I doubt he would give that excuse to Shantae, as she has more than enough moves to pull from and WayForward already drawing up a potential moveset for her.
I'm kinda hoping Sakurai gets lazy and goes strictly Pirate's Curse moveset. That would be an easy Risky echo and I kinda prefer her over Shantae.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
While I'm sure there are times he draws blanks, I'm also sure that in many cases ATs are ATs not necessarily because he couldn't think of anything but because he simply chose to prioritize other characters. You know; limited time, money and man power. Obviously "slots" aren't a thing in the way a lot of people like to believe and he doesn't deliberately exclude one character for the sake of another, but there has to be a cut off point somewhere.

A lot of people may not like it when characters they like are made into ATs, but it's meant as an acknowledgment not as an insult disregarding their potential.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1.Nope
2.yes I have also made a theory about this...

Sk could be the only indie to fill the AT portion
And alucard could fill the transforming AT portion just like sable prince from smash4 and commandervideo was the indie to only represent vault trophies in smash 4 as well.
Giving shantae to fill the fighter portion of indies!!!

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
1.Nope
2.yes I have also made a theory about this...

Sk could be the only indie to fill the AT portion
And alucard could fill the transforming AT portion just like sable prince from smash4 and commandervideo was the indie to only represent vault trophies in smash 4 as well.
Giving shantae to fill the fighter portion of indies!!!
WAIT! Alucard transforms?!

EDIT: HE DOES! SHANTAE MIGHT BE SPARED!! Since it looks like he replaces Sable Prince as the transforming AT, Shantae might be actually be destined for greatness!

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/TheOfficialTOY/status/1053085123464359936
Could this mean Shantae is safe from being AT'd?

Come on, her MAIN gimmick is transforming into other animals. I highly doubt Sakurai would make TWO transforming ATs.
Don't let this get to your head, TOY. Sakurai has done stuff we'd considered "impossible" back then. Look at Brawl with Snake or at Sm4sh with Bayonetta and Cloud. His rules are not our rules and we can't influence that otherwise.

D

Deleted member

WAIT! Alucard transforms?!

EDIT: HE DOES! SHANTAE MIGHT BE SPARED!! Since it looks like he replaces Sable Prince as the transforming AT, Shantae might be actually be destined for greatness!
I can also see sakurai completing the the holy trinity of metroidvanias and shantae is next

Also speaking of sable prince Hollywoodrok12 Hollywoodrok12 once said that shantae would replace sables AT while he’s the fighter and I laughed and laughed till I ded :laugh::joyful:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
There was never a quota for what kinds of assist trophies there are. How many sword using assists are there? How many punchers? Sable Prince being an assist or not never affected Shantae's chances as they could have two assists that transform, or none.

She will be in the game, as a fighter, but there were never any rules of "only this many of this kind" for fighters or assists.

Last edited:

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
You know... I have been thinking. I've been on the Shantae train since Ultimate was announced, but I never really thought about who to support if and when she is confirmed. Who are you guys going to hop to in the event she does get in?

For me, I think I'll join in with the Geno Bros. That puppet deserves to be in Smash at this point.
If Shantae is confirmed as a playable character I'd be pretty much satisfied to the point where I'd feel that wanting another character would be asking for too much from Sakurai. But if she doesn't make it I'd probably go to either Banjo & Kazooie or Medusa.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
There was never a quota for what kinds of assist trophies there are. How many sure using assists are there? How many punchers? Sable Prince being an assist or not never affected Shantae's chances as they could have two assists that transform, or none.

She will be in the game, as a fighter, but there were never any rules of "only this many of this kind" for fighters or assists.
Now, one thing people seem to forget is that, there are no rules when it comes to Smash.

Besides, "the character has to have originated from a video game", I'd say anything can happen. Nothing is certain.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Now, one thing people seem to forget is that, there are no rules when it comes to Smash.

Besides, "the character has to have originated from a video game", I'd say anything can happen. Nothing is certain.
And possibly "They should be visual interesting and mesh well with the style", though that's artist interpretation, not necessarily a rule. And definitely "if they can't function, they stay in the junction" with Sm4sh. :p

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I remember I had an idea when I first saw this: What would Shantae be like if she turned evil? Not like turned into Nega, but actually turned evil of her own free will (with an evil plan, henchmen and everything)? Would she try to make her friends her henchmen? The Barons? Risky (and if so, would any of them join her?)? What would her evil goal be? What would her plan be to get there? Would she be willing to stoop to killing to achieve her evil goal? What kind of Half-Genie Villain would she be?

(I know she's too good a person to actually do that, but what if?)
You don't go higher than "conquer the world" in Sequin Land. It's what all barons (except Squid) are trying to do in their own ways.

Risky Boots is probably a good approximation of "evil Shantae", capable of socializing but ultimately seeing everyone around her as tools to further her ends. Though Shantae is nowhere near as smart as Risky and unable to truly formulate a good evil plan, so it's pretty much as Risky says: she just doesn't have what it takes to be a seafaring cutthroat. In short, an inferior Risky Boots.

I'm kinda hoping Sakurai gets lazy and goes strictly Pirate's Curse moveset. That would be an easy Risky echo and I kinda prefer her over Shantae.
So you want people to believe Shantae is better with a sword than she is with her hair? Or if you try to make hair-equivalents of Risky's scimitar attacks, that'll make Shantae's hair deceptively short.

Pirate's Curse alone does not provide a very compelling moveset. The additions made to Pirate Queen's Quest complete it, though, with more shot types and the ability to call Tinkerbats (something Shantae absolutely cannot do).

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
You know... I have been thinking. I've been on the Shantae train since Ultimate was announced, but I never really thought about who to support if and when she is confirmed. Who are you guys going to hop to in the event she does get in?

For me, I think I'll join in with the Geno Bros. That puppet deserves to be in Smash at this point.
Misty, hopefully as a second Pokémon Trainer.
I wish she would be the Steve? as Pokémon Generation 8 is to Smash Ultimate.

Imagine if she came back, older and wiser, and as the champion of the region - complete with a real personality and actual character development. She'd even be better off if she were the game's SNK Boss. That is my personal pipe dream for Gen 8.
Aside from her...I guess Elma, Impa, a new SEGA rep, and finally a non-video game Nintendo property.
EDIT: How dare I forget that I'm also a Marx stan now?! :4pacman:

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
If Shantae is confirmed as a playable character I'd be pretty much satisfied to the point where I'd feel that wanting another character would be asking for too much from Sakurai. But if she doesn't make it I'd probably go to either Banjo & Kazooie or Medusa.
Shantae is pretty much my biggest want that's plausible.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
I can also see sakurai completing the the holy trinity of metroidvanias and shantae is next

Also speaking of sable prince Hollywoodrok12 Hollywoodrok12 once said that shantae would replace sables AT while he’s the fighter and I laughed and laughed till I ded :laugh::joyful:
I never said he'd be a fighter. I was trying to imply he'd be like Isaac where he'd be completely removed from the playing field. Why the heck would they make Sable Prince a fighter lol?

And also i checked Alucard, and he only transforms into a bat [Edit: and if it counts, a cloud of smoke, but I'm pretty sure it's just supposed to be teleportation] (Before TOY freaks out, the most likely situation is that Sable Prince is still an AT, seeing as to how they reused assets from Smash 4, so the "Transforming AT" is still off the table)

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I never said he'd be a fighter. I was trying to imply he'd be like Isaac where he'd be completely removed from the playing field. Why the heck would they make Sable Prince a fighter lol?

And also i checked Alucard, and he only transforms into a bat (Before TOY freaks out, the most likely situation is that Sable Prince is still an AT, seeing as to how they reused assets from Smash 4, so the "Transforming AT" is still off the table)
I hope so, because I have a gut feeling that Shantae was more highly requested than Shovel Knight for a potential Indie Fighter. Also, I'm confident WayForward and Sakurai would've been able to agree on a moveset for her.

Also, with how Nintendo is heavily pushing Indies, and how both her and Shovel Knight were heavily supported back during the ballot, one of the two was (hopefully) bound to make the roster.

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I’ll just say if shantae makes it in, the only other big characters I would ask for would be geno and Isaac as I’ve wanted both of those guys in since brawl. As for future dlc, I’d lose my **** if Sora from kingdom hearts or Banjo Kazooie got into the fighter roster. Both of them are childhood favorites of mine. :)

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
I don't really trust that AT theory, although I will say that I would assume Sakurai would prefer some variety when it comes to them. I personally feel that Shantae is far more likely as a fighter than an assist trophy simply due to how much is available as a moveset. Most assist trophies seem to be either characters that may have difficult-to-create movsets as fighters, or characters that are largely side-characters in their respective franchises.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
So... Idk how many of you actually care about WayForward as a company but I'm a tad bit worried.

I'm sure Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition got them enough money to be financially stable for a while... but they're not talking about much lately. It's mostly been Retweets of fanart.

As an indie, it's more important to be constantly updating your library with games to purchase so they can continue making games but nothing has been said lately. No future plans for anything. They could easily craft together a Mighty Switch Force game or try to get the license for a Venom game or something. I would happily expand my WayForward library outside of just the Shantae series.

I'm hoping and praying that the reason they've been so inactive is because they MAY have a Shantae reveal and they want that to be the biggest thing for everyone to focus on regarding their company. But if that is not the case, I can't help but wonder what projects has them so tangled up.

In my mind, I'd imagine this is the best shape WayForward has ever been financially. Never before has their company had this much publicity and popularity. So for them to not have anything lined up in the near future worries me
According to Wiki, they are working on an unnamed triple A game. I'd imagine that's why their not talking about much as it would mean that most of their resources would be going towards that.

D

Deleted member

I don't really trust that AT theory, although I will say that I would assume Sakurai would prefer some variety when it comes to them. I personally feel that Shantae is far more likely as a fighter than an assist trophy simply due to how much is available as a moveset. Most assist trophies seem to be either characters that may have difficult-to-create movsets as fighters, or characters that are largely side-characters in their respective franchises.
I know but I’m just saying it could happen and besides.....
6C02C3AF-D52D-45B1-B81E-AE0074B6D664.png

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I almos forgot about Banana Dee. That's another one I wouldn't mind seeing in :)
And tbh, he's probably a shoe in, considering how many votes he gets and is Nintendo. I just wonder how his playstyle would translate to smash.

There's probably some others I forgot about :p
I thought you liked Terra, and Kat & Ana too, right?

Well, I have quite a couple of characters that I support other than Shantae anyway:
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Banjo-Kazooie
Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Bandana Dee (Kirby)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Reimu Hakurei (Touhou)
Kat & Ana (WarioWare)
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
Adeleine (Kirby)
Vaati (The Legend of Zelda)
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) (She's so cute! <3)
Susie Haltmann (Kirby)
Midna/Twili Midna (The Legend of Zelda)
Fjorm (Fire Emblem Heroes)
Lyn (Fire Emblem)
Micaiah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy 7)
Palla, Catria and Est (Fire Emblem?)
Veronica (Fire Emblem Heroes)
Saber Artoria (Fate/Stay Night)
Toon Zelda (The Legend of Zelda)
Tetra (The Legend of Zelda)
Medli (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy 6)
Mipha (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild)
Anna (Fire Emblem)
Birdo (Super Mario)
Meloetta (Pokemon)
Goomba (Super Mario)
Tsareena (Pokemon)
2B (NieR: Automata)
Marx (Kirby)
Viridi (Kid Icarus)
Edelgard von Hresvelgr (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
Gunvolt (Azure Striker Gunvolt)
Kat (Gravity Rush)
Lana (Hyrule Warriors)
Asuka (Senran Kagura)
Hikari and Donbe (Shin Onigashima)
Marina (Mischief Makers)
Linkle (Hyrule Warriors)
Bub & Bob (Bubble Bobble)

I'd say that's enough for now. :)

Last edited:

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
Okay, this is my two cents on the whole Shantae AT thing. As an assist trophie, what would she do? Transform to a random animal? Why put a random element on top of a random element? It just doesn’t make sense to me. I know this only one thing but I legitimately cannot see her as an AT

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Okay, this is my two cents on the whole Shantae AT thing. As an assist trophie, what would she do? Transform to a random animal? Why put a random element on top of a random element? It just doesn’t make sense to me. I know this only one thing but I legitimately cannot see her as an AT
They've done it before. Even so, there's other things Shantae could do. Don't forget that Assist Trophies are much more complex now.

NukeA6

Smash Master
So you want people to believe Shantae is better with a sword than she is with her hair? Or if you try to make hair-equivalents of Risky's scimitar attacks, that'll make Shantae's hair deceptively short.

Pirate's Curse alone does not provide a very compelling moveset. The additions made to Pirate Queen's Quest complete it, though, with more shot types and the ability to call Tinkerbats (something Shantae absolutely cannot do).
Uh-huh, because we all know Smash Bros represents exactly what a character can do. Remember when Ness used PK Fire and Thunder in Earthbound? How about the time when Peach creates explosions with her hips? How about the moment in Ocarina of Time where Ganondorf fights like Captain Falcon? Or how about Simon Belmont doing Richter's Item Crash? Yeah, I thought so.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Uh-huh, because we all know Smash Bros represents exactly what a character can do. Remember when Ness used PK Fire and Thunder in Earthbound? How about the time when Peach creates explosions with her hips? How about the moment in Ocarina of Time where Ganondorf fights like Captain Falcon? Or how about Simon Belmont doing an Richter's Item Crash? Yeah, I thought so.
Im not sure why you are being so aggressive. I would say that Shantae, while she does have a pirate-like moveset potential, is more well-known for her hair and her magic. While it doesn't need to be her only options, I do think its important to consider what is most significant to her character.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Let's add one more thing: Shantae has a sword in official art so, yeah.

Im not sure why you are being so aggressive. I would say that Shantae, while she does have a pirate-like moveset potential, is more well-known for her hair and her magic. While it doesn't need to be her only options, I do think its important to consider what is most significant to her character.
It's just a mere wish and he was being defensive about it. So I defended my position but don't worry, it most likely won't happen and I wasn't putting her hair out of the picture. Of course, Shantae isn't going to have 100% hair attacks and will probably have a lot of kicks.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
Let's add one more thing: Shantae has a sword in official art so, yeah.

Official art.... for Pirates Curse, the game where she lost her powers

A sword in her kit is not impossible, but her hair is just her main thing. Heck, her default weapon is her hair even in Pirates Curse.

Top Bottom