• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
shantae 1 was ok for its time :(
Ah, the first Shantae has it's charms. ;)

The humour is there, the world is vibrant, and exciting, bustling with fun characters, with unique, witty dialogue to boot. There's some pretty good dungeon design in there, though actually getting through them can be a challenge, since the camera's so zoomed in on Shantae, due to the small screen size of the GBC.

The graphics are amazing, the best on the GBC bar none. They also represent the end of an era. This game was one of the last that used 8 bit graphics, not for style, but because of the limitations of the hardware.

It's still a good game, and if you haven't played it yet, you should definitely try to pick it up. But, if you really can't stand some of the quirks that come with retro gaming, then maybe it isn't for you.
I think the best word to describe the original game is “archaic”, it’s still a fun romp and bursting with charm, I’m glad it exists but it has not aged well to be honest. Doesn’t help the game was released a year AFTER the GBA came out..
I really don't understand the big problem that this thread has with the original game. It's the Game Boy Color's best Metroidvania and its cult classic status is the reason we have more Shantae games. If anything, Risky's Revenge is flawed because it's half the game the original was. Really, it has half the dungeons, half the dance transformations, half the game-length, no day/night cycle, and you don't even fight Risky despite the title. Half-Genie Hero was given to the wrong game.
I wasn't referring to the games themselves. The story is great, the characters aren't fleshed out, but great, and the music and visuals are great.
the gameplay I struggle with. The game is delightful. Getting through the game is difficult.
I've loved all of the games, thus far. Except HGH... I haven't played it yet.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Official art.... for Pirates Curse, the game where she lost her powers

A sword in her kit is not impossible, but her hair is just her main thing. Heck, her default weapon is her hair even in Pirates Curse.
But is her hair really gonna be most of her A moves? Even her potential moveset on the first page has one hair attack.

I wasn't referring to the games themselves. The story is great, the characters aren't fleshed out, but great, and the music and visuals are great.
the gameplay I struggle with. The game is delightful. Getting through the game is difficult.
I've loved all of the games, thus far. Except HGH... I haven't played it yet.
Well, to each their own. I'll admit I did get lost during my first time.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
WAIT! Alucard transforms?!

EDIT: HE DOES! SHANTAE MIGHT BE SPARED!! Since it looks like he replaces Sable Prince as the transforming AT, Shantae might be actually be destined for greatness!
Does he attack in bat form?
If not, I don't think I'd count him as a transforming AT

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Okay, this is my two cents on the whole Shantae AT thing. As an assist trophie, what would she do? Transform to a random animal? Why put a random element on top of a random element? It just doesn’t make sense to me. I know this only one thing but I legitimately cannot see her as an AT
Skull Kid (I know we don't know if he's still an AT, but he was at one point) and Togepi both have RNG-Based attacks, so I wouldn't base my argument on that alone.

Does he attack in bat form?
If not, I don't think I'd count him as a transforming AT
Yes he does, and there's also Mist form which he dodges attacks with (Wasn't sure it counted as a TF, but since Sakurai said "Mist form" I'm assuming it counts)

Edit:
This Saber is not from Fire Emblem. She's from Fate/stay night.
That Saber looks nothing like the FE Saber.

Last edited:

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
We're getting short for time until the release, so Nintendo could surprise us with something at any moment.

Im just terrified of scrolling through the subreddit or Discord and suddenly seeing an announcement for a Nintendo Indie Direct.

Be gentle with my heart, Sakurai.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Okay, this is my two cents on the whole Shantae AT thing. As an assist trophie, what would she do? Transform to a random animal? Why put a random element on top of a random element? It just doesn’t make sense to me. I know this only one thing but I legitimately cannot see her as an AT
Me too it just doesn’t make sense she is coming as a fighter I can feel he coming (I’m really feeling it!!!:ultshulk:)

Non compete clause (ncc)

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
What about the Belly Dance mini game from the GBC game?

Whoops, sorry about the double post.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

What about the Belly Dance mini game from the GBC game?

Whoops, sorry about the double post.
Still doesn’t make sense she mostly attacks and transforms

That’s not an AT i see it’s actualy a fighter I really see

(I see it!!:ultshulk:)

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I'm hoping Shantae makes it in as well. In fact: I have a few wild theories on what the next direct could include:

Start with a reveal trailer for a character who was never even thought of by anyone, even during the Brawl era.
Showcase final new stages, including a second Mario stage with color never seen by human eyes.
Direct scheduled to be 30 minutes would end after 5 minutes to make time for some unexplained event.
Coverage would be botched by GameFAQS.
Final prediction: Lycans.

It's all sarcasm by the way. Points if you can guess what video I was referencing through the sarcasm. The Final Prediction is a hint!

As for who I would support if Shantae's status is revealed, it would be Gardevoir, the Volleyball player (NES game by the way), and Master Chief (the last want is for music alone).

Wwlink55

Smash Ace
As for who I would support if Shantae's status is revealed, it would be Gardevoir, the Volleyball player (NES game by the way), and Master Chief (the last want is for music alone).

>Gardevoir

I see you're a man of culture as well.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
But is her hair really gonna be most of her A moves? Even her potential moveset on the first page has one hair attack.
Look, it's one thing to come up with explanations for how any given character could be an echo of an existing fighter, no matter how far-fetched or stretched it may be.

But deliberately gimping another fighter's potential just to make creating an echo out of them easier? That's... just not how things work, buddy. The vast majority of them originate from Melee, cloned from characters that came a whole game earlier. You really think they made Pikachu will the full intention of making a Pichu out of it later? Then there's Simon & Richter, who are basically the opposite of what you describe: neither one had enough potential on their own, but by pooling their movesets together, it allowed not just one, but both to enter. That is what echos should be doing for fighters. Not taking moves away.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I'm hoping Shantae makes it in as well. In fact: I have a few wild theories on what the next direct could include:

Start with a reveal trailer for a character who was never even thought of by anyone, even during the Brawl era.
Showcase final new stages, including a second Mario stage with color never seen by human eyes.
Direct scheduled to be 30 minutes would end after 5 minutes to make time for some unexplained event.
Coverage would be botched by GameFAQS.
Final prediction: Lycans.

It's all sarcasm by the way. Points if you can guess what video I was referencing through the sarcasm. The Final Prediction is a hint!

Umm... werewolves, and yellowish blue?

D

Deleted member

What I’m really worried about is that she wouldn’t even be a unique AT, but a copy of Sable Prince. They both transform into animals, and Sable Prince isnt confirmed yet. All Sakurai would need to do is replace the Prince with the Genie, the Frog with the Monkey, and the Snake with the Crab.
Uh Hollywoodrok12 Hollywoodrok12 you actually said that a month ago about shantae and sable prince and I still find that funny just as wario finds it funny:warioc:

If Shantae gets in I honestly don't know who else I'd support. All of my most wanted are pipe dreams (P5 Joker, Neku Sakuraba, Blaze the Cat, Chrono) and Shantae is the only one that seems likely. I do hope the Isaac and Geno fans get their wish but I can't really say I care for those characters personally. I dunno I might just sit back and bask in my happiness.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Well, at least somebody with gorgeous hair is getting some attention on the blog today ;).

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
If Shantae gets in I honestly don't know who else I'd support. All of my most wanted are pipe dreams (P5 Joker, Neku Sakuraba, Blaze the Cat, Chrono) and Shantae is the only one that seems likely. I do hope the Isaac and Geno fans get their wish but I can't really say I care for those characters personally. I dunno I might just sit back and bask in my happiness.
Same here, everyone else I wanted is either confirmed, AT'd, or straight up deconfirmed.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Look, it's one thing to come up with explanations for how any given character could be an echo of an existing fighter, no matter how far-fetched or stretched it may be.

But deliberately gimping another fighter's potential just to make creating an echo out of them easier? That's... just not how things work, buddy. The vast majority of them originate from Melee, cloned from characters that came a whole game earlier. You really think they made Pikachu will the full intention of making a Pichu out of it later? Then there's Simon & Richter, who are basically the opposite of what you describe: neither one had enough potential on their own, but by pooling their movesets together, it allowed not just one, but both to enter. That is what echos should be doing for fighters. Not taking away moves.
Gimping? Not even close especially since Pirate's Quest is the Shantae game with the most attention and the best in the series. If you want gimping, try Ganondorf and Ness/Lucas to some extent (they barely use their own PK moves seeing as how 3 of them are from other characters). As for the Belmonts, Richter can do everything in his moveset whereas Simon can't.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I thought you liked Terra, and Kat & Ana too, right?

Well, I have quite a couple of characters that I support other than Shantae anyway:
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Banjo-Kazooie
Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
Bandana Dee (Kirby)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Reimu Hakurei (Touhou)
Kat & Ana (WarioWare)
Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
Adeleine (Kirby)
Vaati (The Legend of Zelda)
Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia) (She's so cute! <3)
Susie Haltmann (Kirby)
Midna/Twili Midna (The Legend of Zelda)
Fjorm (Fire Emblem Heroes)
Lyn (Fire Emblem)
Micaiah (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn)
Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy 7)
Palla, Catria and Est (Fire Emblem?)
Veronica (Fire Emblem Heroes)
Saber Artoria (Fate/Stay Night)
Toon Zelda (The Legend of Zelda)
Tetra (The Legend of Zelda)
Medli (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)
Terra Branford (Final Fantasy 6)
Mipha (The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild)
Anna (Fire Emblem)
Birdo (Super Mario)
Meloetta (Pokemon)
Goomba (Super Mario)
Tsareena (Pokemon)
2B (NieR: Automata)
Marx (Kirby)
Viridi (Kid Icarus)
Edelgard von Hresvelgr (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
Gunvolt (Azure Striker Gunvolt)
Kat (Gravity Rush)
Lana (Hyrule Warriors)
Asuka (Senran Kagura)
Hikari and Donbe (Shin Onigashima)
Marina (Mischief Makers)
Linkle (Hyrule Warriors)
Bub & Bob (Bubble Bobble)

I'd say that's enough for now. :)
That's interesting to see. I never counted how many we were each suppoting. I bet some people have few, you have quite a bit, a little more than me

It's cool to be part of a support thread this long for me, I havent stuck around before as much as I did this time around.
Also, I want to say that I learned quite a bit on this thread, including about emotions, and I want to say thank you, even if there have been bad times, Because we each have the opportunity to learn to find good ways of channeling how we feel into how we do things, including anticipate a character, and we can look for the ways to enjoy what we do, and we can also learn to put enough space to enjoy what's already offered in things, including smash, without dropping our desire for something like a character either. Desire is a feeling of potential, and so it's possible to channel that energy into passion. When you can learn to be passionate instead of needy, insecurity wont get in the way as much, and you can have much more of a chance to handle any fears. Fear is tied to a feeling of hurt in an possibility, whether it's true or not.

We can learn to be open to other possibilities, knowing that the truth is beyond what we think. Emotions are still related to the nervous system, so it's connected to the mind. If we can use our thoughts to open to a greater truth, that we dont know fully (as much as we want to think we or someone knows the entire truth, they dont, and we dont) we can affect how we feel by being more open, and more. We can use that to our advantage, and open up some space in your mind to leave stuff open, and enjoy the open potential. Enjoy smash, and enjoy possibility, and then if we get her, it's like a wish come true. And we can be grateful for it, well at least I know we'd all enjoy her :)

Eh, well maybe I went a little overboard with this one :p
well enjoy yourselves anyway ;p

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Yeah that's how I feel about most of the highly requested characters. I became a Nintendo Fan with the Wii and DS, so a lot of the characters like Geno and Skull kid don't appeal to me because I have no memories of them. Because of this, along with the facts that the Wii U version got pretty much everyone important, from the Wii era except Bandana Dee, and that Bomberman, SK, and to a lesser extent, Waluigi are deconfirmed, most of my support is going to the guys from the Switch era, so I can't really support anyone besides Shantae and Bandana Dee until DLC.

Same here. She was originally my 2nd most wanted, with Inklings at #1. Once those little squid kids were revealed in the first trailer I've been hoping for Shantae ever since.
Similar case here. She was #3 next to Bandana Dee at #2 and Inkling at #1 (but If I didn't have to give them each separate numbers, they'd all be tied at #1), and then Shovel Knight (who I still wanted) got deconfirmed and Shantae's chances skyrocketed, and then I stumbled upon this thread and all the evidence towards her inclusion in it, and now Shantae got an ever-so-slight edge over Bandana Dee. (I still really want Bandana Dee tho)

That's interesting to see. I never counted how many we were each suppoting. I bet some people have few, you have quite a bit, a little more than me

It's cool to be part of a support thread this long for me, I havent stuck around before as much as I did this time around.
Also, I want to say that I learned quite a bit on this thread, including about emotions, and I want to say thank you, even if there have been bad times, Because we each have the opportunity to learn to find good ways of channeling how we feel into how we do things, including anticipate a character, and we can look for the ways to enjoy what we do, and we can also learn to put enough space to enjoy what's already offered in things, including smash, without dropping our desire for something like a character either. Desire is a feeling of potential, and so it's possible to channel that energy into passion. When you can learn to be passionate instead of needy, insecurity wont get in the way as much, and you can have much more of a chance to handle any fears. Fear is tied to a feeling of hurt in an possibility, whether it's true or not.

We can learn to be open to other possibilities, knowing that the truth is beyond what we think. Emotions are still related to the nervous system, so it's connected to the mind. If you can use your thoughts to open to a greater truth, that we dont know (as much as we want to think we or someone knows the entire truth, they dont, and we dont. Use that to your advantage, and open up some space in your mind to leave stuff open, and enjoy the open potential. Enjoy smash, and enjoy possibility, and then if we get her, it's like a wish come true. And we can be grateful for it, well at least I know we'd all enjoy her :)

Eh, well maybe I went a little overboard with this one :p
well enjoy ;p
Yeah. Honestly, this thread was the best part about this hype cycle, IMO, since I found a lot of hope for one of my 2 most wanted fighters, and, with every time you guys tried to debunk my AT theories, learned that even when you think you got all the info, there's still more to be found. At this point all we can do is cross our fingers and hope the Smash Roster grows one Half-Genie stronger (If it does, I'll lose my mind).

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Gimping? Not even close especially since Pirate's Quest is the Shantae game with the most attention and the best in the series. If you want gimping, try Ganondorf and Ness/Lucas to some extent (they barely use their own PK moves seeing as how 3 of them are from other characters). As for the Belmonts, Richter can do everything in his moveset whereas Simon can't.
Going off of Rondo of Blood, he can't aim his whip or tether onto things.

Ness & Lucas's moves just won't work in Smash. Healing is cheap, their raw psychic energy covers their signature attacks and Shield is covered by something everyone can do in Smash.

Ganondorf does not represent what you're arguing, unless you're saying Falcon was specifically designed to model Ganondorf off of at a later date. If that sounds silly, it's because it is. Clones are never "planned" the same way new fighters are, they're more opportunistic or, in worst case scenarios like Ganondorf, desperate measures to get a beloved character in at any cost.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
#ShantaeForSmash Man do I love the color option for the hastag. As you can see the theme is even perfectly represents Shantae's colors well.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Ahh, it's been a bit since I've been here in Shantae's (honestly) amazing and enthusiastic support thread. How is everyone, anything come up recently or are we still tinfoil-hatting? XD

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I doubt links slow down things. And the listing isn't that long, in my book, so s'all good.
Nah, Links don't slow things down at all. I mean, look at him go!

Ahh, it's been a bit since I've been here in Shantae's (honestly) amazing and enthusiastic support thread. How is everyone, anything come up recently or are we still tinfoil-hatting? XD
I'm doing well anyway. :)
How're you?

And, yes, we're still using up tinfoil. Still awaiting news, just like everyone else.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
So uh...not really related but this has been driving me batty all day. At E3(I THINK) there was a game revealed that had a kind of Breath of the Wild look to it, female protagonist, a mount with antlers...I can't remember the darn name of it...anyone know what I'm talking about?

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
I'm doing well anyway. :)
How're you?

And, yes, we're still using up tinfoil. Still awaiting news, just like everyone else.
I'm doing pretty good, been hanging out in the Geno support thread (aka my "main" thread), but had remembered that this was a fairly great one as well considering all of the support towards the character (Shantae) and how nice everyone in general is in here. Not to mention Shantae is very interesting when it comes to speculation because of how tinfoil-hatty she is in her current spot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom