• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Need some gif/pic for the day. Anyway those pics of the Rotty cosplay were great.

#ShantaeForSmash

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Well, Mym's a thing now, so there's that (assuming you even know who I'm talking about).
50 DAYS LEFT!!!
50 Days left already? We're definitely gonna get some info in 50 Days. Judging by how there's a game mode to reveal, it seems like a Smash direct.

...You know, I think you may have answered your own question. ;)
Are you saying you believe Vergeben?

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
So... Idk how many of you actually care about WayForward as a company but I'm a tad bit worried.

I'm sure Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition got them enough money to be financially stable for a while... but they're not talking about much lately. It's mostly been Retweets of fanart.

As an indie, it's more important to be constantly updating your library with games to purchase so they can continue making games but nothing has been said lately. No future plans for anything. They could easily craft together a Mighty Switch Force game or try to get the license for a Venom game or something. I would happily expand my WayForward library outside of just the Shantae series.

I'm hoping and praying that the reason they've been so inactive is because they MAY have a Shantae reveal and they want that to be the biggest thing for everyone to focus on regarding their company. But if that is not the case, I can't help but wonder what projects has them so tangled up.

In my mind, I'd imagine this is the best shape WayForward has ever been financially. Never before has their company had this much publicity and popularity. So for them to not have anything lined up in the near future worries me

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
So... Idk how many of you actually care about WayForward as a company but I'm a tad bit worried.

I'm sure Half-Genie Hero Ultimate Edition got them enough money to be financially stable for a while... but they're not talking about much lately. It's mostly been Retweets of fanart.

As an indie, it's more important to be constantly updating your library with games to purchase so they can continue making games but nothing has been said lately. No future plans for anything. They could easily craft together a Mighty Switch Force game or try to get the license for a Venom game or something. I would happily expand my WayForward library outside of just the Shantae series.

I'm hoping and praying that the reason they've been so inactive is because they MAY have a Shantae reveal and they want that to be the biggest thing for everyone to focus on regarding their company. But if that is not the case, I can't help but wonder what projects has them so tangled up.

In my mind, I'd imagine this is the best shape WayForward has ever been financially. Never before has their company had this much publicity and popularity. So for them to not have anything lined up in the near future worries me
I see.

Yeah this may be an issue. They haven't released any new game at all this year. But, they're definitely working on something, who knows what though...

zferolie

Smash Hero

If we are shantae fans we care about wayforward. And I beleive they are doing fine. Just because they are a little quiet atm doesn't mean doom and gloom. Just look at Yacht games. All they have done is shovel knight and very slow DLC for it. Wayforward on the other hand has a ton of other projects they do for other companies, like they did that Mummy Demastered game, and it was good I heard. I am sure there are other games they are doing. No need to be a doom and gloom guy again

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
If we are shantae fans we care about wayforward. And I beleive they are doing fine. Just because they are a little quiet atm doesn't mean doom and gloom. Just look at Yacht games. All they have done is shovel knight and very slow DLC for it. Wayforward on the other hand has a ton of other projects they do for other companies, like they did that Mummy Demastered game, and it was good I heard. I am sure there are other games they are doing. No need to be a doom and gloom guy again
It's not doom and gloom. I can't see WayForward shutting down after lasting this long. But when The Mummy Demastered is the only new game released since Half-Genie Geno (vanilla game), it worries me because it's making me wonder what's making them stand.

I really do hope they got everything together.

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
It's not doom and gloom. I can't see WayForward shutting down after lasting this long. But when The Mummy Demastered is the only new game released since Half-Genie Geno (vanilla game), it worries me because it's making me wonder what's making them stand.

I really do hope they got everything together.
They made that Goosebumps game that came out last week.

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
I find it insulting that Shantae will likely never make it in to smash but 'characters' like WFT, Villager, DH, Doctor Mario, Dark Pit, etc. have made it in. Shantae is one of the most deserving characters of being in smash that you could possibly name. She's a female character, something that there's little of in smash, she's a protagonist, she's been in several games all of which are on Nintendo consoles (and up until recently exclusively so) that also go back nearly two decades, every game has been liked by critics, she has the perfect design, art style, humor, etc. for smash, she has so much potential for an interesting move set, etc.

But no apparently wii fit trainer is more deserving of being in smash. One thing I will never get over is the terrible roster in Smash 4. Yeah because everyone wanted the dog from duck hunt in smash, right? Or a nameless villager from animal crossing. While we are at it why don't we put little mac's trainer in smash? Or how about a biker from Excite Bike?

Last edited:

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I find it insulting that Shantae will likely never make it in to smash but 'characters' like WFT, Villager, DH, Doctor Mario, Dark Pit, etc. have made it in. Shantae is one of the most deserving characters of being in smash that you could possibly name. She's a female character, something that there's little of in smash, she's a protagonist, she's been in several games all of which are on Nintendo consoles (and up until recently exclusively so) that also go back nearly two decades, every game has been liked by critics, she has the perfect design, art style, humor, etc. for smash, she has so much potential for an interesting move set, etc.

But no apparently wii fit trainer is more deserving of being in smash. One thing I will never get over is the terrible roster in Smash 4. Yeah because everyone wanted the dog from duck hunt in smash, right? Or a nameless villager from animal crossing.
I pray to God that that leak claiming she's an Assist is fake. I don't know if I can handle that kind of disappointment again in the same hype cycle (I lost Shovel Knight and that hurt like heck).

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
I pray to God that that leak claiming she's an Assist is fake. I don't know if I can handle that kind of disappointment again in the same hype cycle (I lost Shovel Knight and that hurt like heck).
That would honestly be more than I am expecting. At the very least she would get an acknowledgement.

I was going to say that I don't think shovel knight even deserves to be in smash given that he has only been in one recent game but then I remembered that WFT and DH are in smash bros so apparently the only prerequisites for being in smash are being a character in a game that was at some point on a nintendo console. And even then it's almost never western characters.

and I wanted Geno to be in the game so I guess I can't talk.

Last edited:

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
She's a female character, something that there's little of in smash, she's a protagonist, she's been in several games all of which are on Nintendo consoles (and up until recently exclusively so) that also go back nearly two decades, every game has been liked by critics, she has the perfect design, art style, humor, etc. for smash, she has so much potential for an interesting move set, etc.
Being a female doesn't make her deserving at all, just like being male doesn't make a character deserving of a spot. There's simply more male protagonists in those longrunning franchises, so it's only natural that the ratio between male and female characters is leaning to the male side. Not to say that I'm against female characters, on the contrary, but I don't think it's something that makes her "deserving" of a spot in Smash. I actually find that kind of thinking way more insulting in regards to Shantae than her not getting into Smash.

I too think that her design, art style, humor, etc. are fitting for Smash and I also think that her history with Nintendo warrants to be hopeful for her inclusion but I really dislike how you go raving on about character such as Duck Hunt Duo, etc. and mostly Villager. Just because you don't like them doesn't make them any less "deserving" of a spot. If anything, I think Villager has much more right to be in Smash than Shantae (he's a first party character and represents one of Nintendo's biggest selling franchises). Do I like Shantae as a character more than a Villager from AC? Yes, I do. But I still think Villager's inclusion in SSB4 was long overdue.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Being a female doesn't make her deserving at all, just like being male doesn't make character deserving of a spot. There's simply more male protagonists in those longrunning franchises, so it's only natural that the ratio between male and female characters is leaning to the male side. Not to say that I'm against female characters, on the contrary, but I don't think it's something that makes her "deserving" of a spot in Smash. I actually find that kind of thinking way more insulting in regards to Shantae than her not getting into Smash.
You can take the exit if you want...

Because your not welcome here anymore

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
Being a female doesn't make her deserving at all, just like being male doesn't make a character deserving of a spot. There's simply more male protagonists in those longrunning franchises, so it's only natural that the ratio between male and female characters is leaning to the male side. Not to say that I'm against female characters, on the contrary, but I don't think it's something that makes her "deserving" of a spot in Smash. I actually find that kind of thinking way more insulting in regards to Shantae than her not getting into Smash.

I too think that her design, art style, humor, etc. are fitting for Smash and I also think that her history with Nintendo warrants to be hopeful for her inclusion but I really dislike how you go raving on about character such as Duck Hunt Duo, etc. and mostly Villager. Just because you don't like them doesn't make them any less "deserving" of a spot. If anything, I think Villager has much more right to be in Smash than Shantae (he's a first party character and represents one of Nintendo's biggest selling franchises). Do I like Shantae as a character more than a Villager from AC? Yes, I do. But I still think Villager's inclusion in SSB4 was long overdue.

First off her being a female helps distinguish her from many of the other characters. It was not the only reason she deserves to be in it but one of many. That is she would help fill many niches in the roster. Of course there is going to be more male characters when there are more male protagonists in nintendo games. The point though is that there are still far too little female characters and even less female protagonists in smash. That was just one thing she could add to the roster on top of everything else.

Second, I never complained the series was misogynistic or anything like that so don't get the wrong idea. I am simply saying that she would fill a niche. Stop cherry picking one thing I said in a list of things. If I literally said that she deserves to be in smash only because she's female then you would have a point.

And you are completely missing my point on what constitutes a character deserving of being in smash. it has nothing to do with me liking them (for example I HATE Bayonetta, from the way she is designed to her character, but I still think she deserves to be in the game..... just completely reworked and not OP).

Let's look at this objectively, shall we?

Wii fit trainer has been in ONE game, has no set personality, doesn't even have a name, you would have to stretch as much as possible to make up a move set around her, no one was asking for her, etc. How is that more deserving of being in smash bros than Shantae? Or King K Rool? Neither of which made it in to smash 4. Whether you like it or not there are objective things we can look at to see who is more deserving of being in smash than others. If there was not, then Mario would have no reason to be in smash, or Samus, etc. If every character is equally deserving of being in the game then why wasn't a goomba put in place of Mario and Luigi?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So I know I have posted my super wish list of 12 characters(6 unique and 6 echos) but been trying to see if I can get a roster that is 8 more characters(4 unique and 4 echo) instead, as a more realistic outlook. Given we have onlky 50 days left it would be hard for them to show off 12 more newcomers, but with 8 it is very likely, especially as the blog post theory is still holding up for 8 more newcomers(we have been getting 2-3 spotlights a week, and thats in line with the number needed for 8 more character spotlights)

Also I still feel like that music page is a hint/clue at how many new comers. there are 3 spots missing on that final row for icons for series music. I feel like its possible if minecraft gets a stage it will get its own icon even without a fighter due to the amount of music the series has, so that could mine 2 new series with music icons. That works well with just 4 more unique newcomers. Heck, its still possible to have 3 with the characters I picked based on want and Likelyhood.

Also 5 more stages is key to this as well, even with just 4 unique newcomers each getting a stage, plus the 5th being that rumored Minecraft stage(which I beleive minecraft does deserve a stage with how big it is)

Unique

Shantae.png

Still set on shantae. too Much facts and cercumstancial evidence to rule her out till she is outright deconfirmed somehow. She would get a stage and music icon.

incineroar.jpg

Inceniroar has a lot of cards pointing towards it, not just Vergeben. The presence in the anime, the marketing, and the push Gamefreak has done with them. Plus a unique grappler fighting style is needed in smash. Do I want other pokemon: Yes. But I am not against this guy. Gets a stage and already has a music icon

Geno.png

If any SE character is getting into base, its Geno. Only way its not is due to SE saying no, which seems unlikely atm. Sakurai really wants him, the fans want him, he seems like a shoe in. He gets a stage, and depending on who the 4th character is and if minecraft gets its own music icon for its stage, either his own music icon, or just shares the Mario Icon.

Rhythm Girl.jpg Lip.gif Donbe and Hikari.jpg Ayumi.jpg

This 4th slot is a toss up. I beleive this would be sakurai's Suprise pick, the one people aren't expecting. Rhythm Girl from Rhythm Heaven fits the bill, plus makes sense to rep the series, as it seems it was planned for the last game. If Sakurai still wants a RH rep, Rhythm Girl is the best pick. However he also could pull a retro surprise pick as well, and there are a ton of options, more then the 3 I listed. All good choices honestly. Now, if its a Rhythm Girl, she would get her own stage and music icon. The only retro I see getting a stage and music icon would be Lip, as Panel De Pon has a ton of music and could have a cool stage. the other 2 I listed may have stages but wouldn't have a music icon.

Echos

Medusa.png

Still feel as she is one of the most likely Echos coming. Is a villain, and a Sakurai Baby, and could be a perfect head villain(or seemingly head villain) for the Spirits mode. Some people tried to say she can't work as an echo due to being left handed as Palutena is right handed, but thats no issue at all. Just mirror the base model and you are good to go. Fighting games already do this and have for YEARS, so this wouldn't hurt her at all. She would be best as a Chrom level echo having a different down B then Palutena, with Heavenly light from Smash 4(renamed and colored of course.)

Ken_Masters.png

Just seems quite likely, with that still not debunked image leak, and would be a very easy echo to make.

Shadow.png

Still MIA as an AT, and like Ken would be an easy echo to make. Also could replace Sonic's Up B for Mewtwos Up B.

Impa.png

Zelda deserves another character if Mario, FE, and Pokemon are getting another character in the base game. Best way is through an Echo and Impa is a core staple of the whole series. I like her Warriors look best but I doubt thats happening, so Skyward sword or OoT are good choices for her look.

And then a Minecraft stage as well. So this roster checks all the boxes I have for clues we have seen for the final roster size:

Multiple of 4 for smashdown
108 stages (Shantae, Geno, Inceniroar, Minecraft, Surprise character)
3 more music icons(Shantae, then two of these 3: Geno/Minecraft/Surprise character)

Plus I am sure DLC is coming. Isaac, Rex and Pyra, one of the surprise characters, and more can be DLC.

Pit93

Smash Apprentice
First off her being a female helps distinguish her from many of the other characters. It was not the only reason she deserves to be in it but one of many. That is she would help fill many niches in the roster.

Second, I never complained the series was misogynistic so don't imply that. I am simply saying that she would fill a niche. Stop cherry picking one thing I said in a list of things. If I literally said that she deserves to be in smash only because she's female then you have a point.
I didn't say it was the only reason you mentioned but it being a reason at all just seems odd to me. I also didn't imply you calling the series misogynistic, but calling "being female" as "filling a niche" does sound questionable to me. There's so much more that would warrant an inclusion of Shantae that including her "being female" just degrades your argument as a whole. You don't have to agree with me, but that's how I see it. ;)

And you are completely missing my point on what constitutes a character deserving of being in smash. it has nothing to do with me liking them so again, you are taking what I am saying out of context. Let's look at this objectively, shall we?

Wii fit trainer has been in ONE game, has no set personality, doesn't even have a name, you would have to stretch as much as possible to make up a move set around her, no one was asking for her, etc. How is that more deserving of being in smash bros than Shantae? Or King K Rool? Neither of which made it in to smash 4. Whether you like it or not there are objective things we can look at to see who is more deserving of being in smash than others. If there was not, then Mario would have no reason to be in smash, or Samus, etc. If every character is equally deserving of being in the game then why wasn't a goomba put in place of Mario and Luigi?
I don't think there are many clear "objective" ways to determine who's more deserving and who's not. In the end, what counts the most is who Sakurai wants to be in the game. You also didn't make it all too clear what you exactley meant with "deserving". That's a lot clearer now. But that's still nothing "objective" but your opinion because, just like you said, there are a lot of characters in Smash that don't fulfill these criteria, so we can't really call them "objective", can we?

You can take the exit if you want...

Because your not welcome here anymore
Because I dislike an argument that seemed to me (without the further explanation) like it reduced a female character on her gender and because I don't like that because I think that's disrespectful? Well ok, that doesn't really impress me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*sigh*
I wish people would stop calling her an assist in places and fake leaks. It doesn’t make sense
And it’s not gonna happen never ever

Btw Hollywoodrok12 Hollywoodrok12 can you put what I said about Cristina in the spread sheet?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Okay guys lets all calm down here. We are having a lot of stress going on because with the lack of silence from WayForward. Cristina Vee's twitter name change, the leaks and the images shown so far so for now let's all take our time and breath in, breath out. Do this multiple times then come back on.

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
I didn't say it was the only reason you mentioned but it being a reason at all just seems odd to me. I also didn't imply you calling the series misogynistic, but calling "being female" as "filling a niche" does sound questionable to me. There's so much more that would warrant an inclusion of Shantae that including her "being female" just degrades your argument as a whole. You don't have to agree with me, but that's how I see it. ;)

I don't think there are many clear "objective" ways to determine who's more deserving and who's not. In the end, what counts the most is who Sakurai wants to be in the game. You also didn't make it all too clear what you exactley meant with "deserving". That's a lot clearer now. But that's still nothing "objective" but your opinion because, just like you said, there are a lot of characters in Smash that don't fulfill these criteria, so we can't really call them "objective", can we?

Because I dislike an argument that seemed to me like it reduced a female character on her gender and because I don't like that because I think that's disrespectful? Well ok, that doesn't really impress me.
How is that questionable? There are very few female characters in the game as we have established, so immediately shantae is already adding something whether you personally care about that or not is irrelevant. And the fact that that somehow degrades my argument is kind of laughable to me. You would have to be so fixated on that one point I made that it would overshadow everything else that I said. It's kind of funny to me also because you can;t seem to counter anything else I said about why she deserves to be in smash, all you can do is cherry pick that one point. Your argument does not seem to have much of a foundation.

Second, I completely disagree, there are indeed many objective ways of looking at this and I proved it. If by your logic, every character is equally deserving of being in smash, then why are Mario, Smaus, Fox, Kirby, etc. in the game instead of a goomba, a waddle dee, a metroid, etc. ? The character's importance in the franchise alone is a factor otherwise Mario would not be in the game. You can sit here and pretend that there isnt a way of quantifying how deserving a character is but even Sakurai clearly follows SOMETHING because again, none of the major character like Mario, Samus, Link, etc. would be in the game instead of other random characters from their franchises, or other franchise for that matter. And no **** sakurai gets the final say, that doesnt change the fact that some 'characters' really don't deserve to be in the game.

You seem like the type of person that thinks everything is subjective.

If for example I am writing the ending to a story, I have a million different ways I could make the story end, and there are objectively bad ways I could make it end. Like ignoring the established lore, retconning characters, dues ex machina devices, not providing any closure, changing the tone, etc. But because I am the writer, I can't make any mistakes, right? I can't write something that's bad, right? because I get the final say, that means I can't possibly do anything that's not perfect, right?

There ARE objective ways of looking at what characters that should or should not be added to the roster. Like it or not.

Any way you look at it WFT and DH just seem like a joke that went way too far.

As well, Sakurai USED to have a template for what characters would make it in to smash but that apparently is no longer being followed.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys lets all calm down here. We are having a lot of stress going on because with the lack of silence from WayForward. Cristina Vee's twitter name change, the leaks and the images shown so far so for now let's all take our time and breath in, breath out. Do this multiple times then come back on.
I don't think Shantae fans know how to calm down.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
How is that questionable? There are very few female characters in the game as we have established, so immediately shantae is already adding something whether you personally care about that or not is irrelevant. And the fact that that somehow degrades my argument is kind of laughable to me. You would have to be so fixated on that one point I made that it would overshadow everything else that I said. It's kind of funny to me also because you can;t seem to counter anything else I said about why she deserves to be in smash, all you can do is cherry pick that one point. Your argument does not seem to have much of a foundation.

Second, I completely disagree, there are indeed many objective ways of looking at this and I proved it. If by your logic, every character is equally deserving of being in smash, then why are Mario, Smaus, Fox, Kirby, etc. in the game instead of a goomba, a waddle dee, a metroid, etc. ? The character's importance in the franchise alone is a factor otherwise Mario would not be in the game. You can sit here and pretend that there isnt a way of quantifying how deserving a character is but even Sakurai clearly follows SOMETHING because again, none of the major character like Mario, Samus, Link, etc. would be in the game instead of other random characters from their franchises, or other franchise for that matter. And no **** sakurai gets the final say, that doesnt change the fact that some 'characters' really don't deserve to be in the game.

You seem like the type of person that thinks everything is subjective.

If for example I am writing the ending to a story, I have a million different ways I could make the story end, and there are objectively bad ways I could make it end. Like ignoring the established lore, retconning characters, dues ex machina devices, not providing any closure, changing the tone, etc. But because I am the writer, I can't make any mistakes, right? I can't write something that's bad, right? because I get the final say, that means I can't possibly do anything that's not perfect, right?

There ARE objective ways of looking at what characters that should or should not be added to the roster. Like it or not.

Any way you look at it WFT and DH just seem like a joke that went way too far.

As well, Sakurai USED to have a template for what characters would make it in to smash but that apparently is no longer being followed.
how dare you put down Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt
She's been in three games Wii Fit, Wii Fit Plus, and Wii Fit U

Top Bottom