• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Fighter: Shantae
Assist: Shovel Knight
Trophy: Commander Video
Item: Bedrock (Spawns on the stage. Acts as a small wall. Can't be attacked or moved. Only goes away when it despawns (Can be removed by attacking enough times in a row in training))
Stage: Runbow
A Runbow stage would be amazing Chaos!

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
A Runbow stage would be amazing Chaos!
Chaos is the best word to describe it, since the platforms would be disappearing almost without warning. Imagine standing on a platform, only to find yourself falling to your doom a second later.

I had the idea from a fake (thankfully image) Smash 4 leak that had Shovel Knight as a fighter and Runbow as his Stage.

Going off of that, how would you guys feel if Shantae was a fighter, but all of her supplementary content came from other indie games?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Chaos is the best word to describe it, since the platforms would be disappearing almost without warning. Imagine standing on a platform, only to find yourself falling to your doom a second later.

I had the idea from a fake (thankfully image) Smash 4 leak that had Shovel Knight as a fighter and Runbow as his Stage.

Going off of that, how would you guys feel if Shantae was a fighter, but all of her supplementary content came from other indie games?
That wouldn’t really make much sense considering all the extra licensing rights that’d need to be acquired for that to happen

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey

I gotta agree with Wademan here, as cool as it could be, it wouldn't make sense in the long run, because then it would require Sora to go to others for licensing issues when I would think they'd just want to go for the one surefire license and nip that bud quickly.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration

So, if you're saying Shantae as a fighter, but no Shantae stage or music?

...honestly, if that's the price it'd take to get her as a fighter, I'd be fine with it. I'd just love her in. Sure, stage and music would be the cherry on top of the whipped cream on top of the sundae, but I'd just love her in.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
So, if you're saying Shantae as a fighter, but no Shantae stage or music?

...honestly, if that's the price it'd take to get her as a fighter, I'd be fine with it. I'd just love her in. Sure, stage and music would be the cherry on top of the whipped cream on top of the sundae, but I'd just love her in.
I'm with you. It doesn't seem likely but if the way they were approaching it was "this is representation for indies in general instead of one indie franchise getting all the love" But, any combinations of circumstances that include us getting Shantae as a playable character is enough for me.

But I still don't see them doing that. Ever since brawl every franchise represented by a fighter also got a stage so if Shantae got it I imagine she will get a stage. Tho I could see some other indie stages/assists/items could make it in. Maybe if there were no other stages they could still licence some indie music that would get included with Shantae's stage (like how some nes games got their song's in stages that weren't theirs but close enough)

Maybe if it was handled like Pac-Man, where she has a taunt that references other indies (maybe she transforms into them), but other than that I wouldn't really like that. I want Shantae in smash as a representative of her own series, not a catch-all "Indie rep".

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Maybe if it was handled like Pac-Man, where she has a taunt that references other indies (maybe she transforms into them), but other than that I wouldn't really like that. I want Shantae in smash as a representative of her own series, not a catch-all "Indie rep".
Not to mention Namco Bandai owns all those properties that Pac-Man was referencing

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Okay, I don't know why, but it would be pretty awesome to somehow see Yoshimitsu (whether Tekken or Soul Calibur, I'd personally go for SC) be in the game. Mainly because he'd actually be quite an unusual sword fighter mechanically. Using his sword as a pogo stick, or a helicopter blade to fly around, among other things including actual Seppuku, it'd be weird, yet awesome to see this get in.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I mentioned a while ago that one of her taunts could be doing the "Item Get" pose and showing off random items from the Shantae series, and someone said she could also include characters/items from other WF games. That would be pretty cool to see.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
#ShantaeForSmash
Time once again for some great gifs/pics.

Anyway anything new?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mentioned a while ago that one of her taunts could be doing the "Item Get" pose and showing off random items from the Shantae series, and someone said she could also include characters/items from other WF games. That would be pretty cool to see.
Not to mention stuff from the GBC days (except licensed games, obviously). I don't think there's even been GBC sprites included in Smash.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Anybody thinks rottytops looks a little similar to Haruhi Suzumiya? I'ts gotta be the hair and headband.
Mostly the shared yellowish headband, I'd say.

But, I can definitely see the resemblance nonetheless.

Not to mention stuff from the GBC days (except licensed games, obviously). I don't think there's even been GBC sprites included in Smash.
Yeah, some recognition for Xtreme Sports would be nice. And, I'd like to see Sigma Star Saga get at least a trophy, but I could see a cool assist trophy coming out of it too. :)

Also, A Boy and his Blob, LIT, Mighty Flip Champs, Mighty Milky Way, Mighty Switch Force! and Cat Girl without Salad, are all of the other Wayforward titles I believe deserve some representation in Smash. Did I miss any?

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Unpopular Opinion... that video did go way overboard and a lot of it was reaches. I think it was a decent attempt but very poor execution and was handle poorly.

I only say this because I don't want to bandwagon other opinions and agree with everyone even though I don't. That video is easy to rip apart and debunk. Some good points were made but sometimes it just starts going too far.

Another unpopular opinion... the Zelda as a base for Shantae is a little dumb. Well... it's possible. But making that conclusion because of some poses? That I disagree with. Not even the echos share the same poses and animations as the person they are copying. If Shantae had the same poses as Zelda, then that would literally make her the most lazy and uninspired fighter on the roster. Which you can't even say that for all the echos.

If anything, her base would be of Toon Link. They both are proportioned relatively the same.

So the video and the Zelda pose thing... idk. I'm not feeling that. The strongest evidence we have is WayForward's silence and her absence as a PLAYABLE FIGHTER in all of the indie fighting games Shantae is missing out on. Both of these arguments are our strongest because both relate to actual legal clauses that could be in effect as we speak.

The Daisy hip thing in the mural and Shantae being chosen because of great moveset potential is our next best. Anything else is wild speculation and should probably only be discussed within this support thread.

If anything, I highly recommend someone make a video going into the possibility of WayForward's NDA and Nintendo's possible clause of Shantae's only fighting game appearance as a playable character being Smash until release. That is something very believable and within the realm of possibility.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Lol Indie Nobody. They think Shovel Knight is bigger because its newer and stars a man. Let the trolls stew in their salty tears.

Also Conner, I think this week is still likely, given this facebook post from Nintendo of Cananda Qubeq

https://www.facebook.com/events/354889078582986/
She's not a "Indie Nobody", at all. I'd say she's bigger than Shovel Knight, but I think he's unfortunately a bit more in the limelight at the moment.
And that's mostly because he's been appearing in everything these days, it's hard to avoid him.

(which could be seen as a good thing! Shantae not starring in many crossovers at the moment, could be the result of some legal thingamabob between Wayforward, and some other relatively large Japanese game development company, that ive somehow forgotten the name of. Umm... Nippon Ichi?)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
She's not a "Indie Nobody", at all. I'd say she's bigger than Shovel Knight, but I think he's unfortunately a bit more in the limelight at the moment.
And that's mostly because he's been appearing in everything these days, it's hard to avoid him.

(which could be seen as a good thing! Shantae not starring in many crossovers at the moment, could be the result of some legal thingamabob between Wayforward, and some other relatively large Japanese game development company, that ive somehow forgotten the name of. Umm... Nippon Ichi?)
I wasn't agreeing with the Indie Nobody line, hence the lol. Its just a bunch of 4chaners ******** just to *****. 4chan is just full of trolls and hateful people that have nothing better to do with their lives then to make other people as hateful and depressed as they are. Ignore pretty much anything on 4chan.

The people behind Disgaea? I would love to see Disgaea characters cross over more. Wish Etna was in Playstation All Stars.

Unpopular Opinion... that video did go way overboard and a lot of it was reaches. I think it was a decent attempt but very poor execution and was handle poorly.

I only say this because I don't want to bandwagon other opinions and agree with everyone even though I don't. That video is easy to rip apart and debunk. Some good points were made but sometimes it just starts going too far.

Another unpopular opinion... the Zelda as a base for Shantae is a little dumb. Well... it's possible. But making that conclusion because of some poses? That I disagree with. Not even the echos share the same poses and animations as the person they are copying. If Shantae had the same poses as Zelda, then that would literally make her the most lazy and uninspired fighter on the roster. Which you can't even say that for all the echos.

If anything, her base would be of Toon Link. They both are proportioned relatively the same.

So the video and the Zelda pose thing... idk. I'm not feeling that. The strongest evidence we have is WayForward's silence and her absence as a PLAYABLE FIGHTER in all of the indie fighting games Shantae is missing out on. Both of these arguments are our strongest because both relate to actual legal clauses that could be in effect as we speak.

The Daisy hip thing in the mural and Shantae being chosen because of great moveset potential is our next best. Anything else is wild speculation and should probably only be discussed within this support thread.

If anything, I highly recommend someone make a video going into the possibility of WayForward's NDA and Nintendo's possible clause of Shantae's only fighting game appearance as a playable character being Smash until release. That is something very believable and within the realm of possibility.
I just want to say no one is saying all these facts make it 100% true she is in, its all cercumstancial evidence and she has A TON. best to list them all.

Also, doubt she would have Toon link as a base. Just because her game sprite is chibi like in HGH doesn't mean thats the route sakurai will go. Most likely they will go her more full size non chibi look, like her profile shots have and in her previous games

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace

I completely agree with you : we should not mix together mere speculation with factual elements. We have enough actual facts to make a good case for Shantae's chances.

EDIT : As Shantae's devs said themselves, Shantae would be between Peach and Megaman, which is kinda Zelda.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Not cool dude
Did you make the video? Sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention.

I'm just being honest. I don't think it's a smart idea sharing that video around because it makes the Shantae fans seem desperate when we're reach on things that seem Coincidental. It's fine discussing it here but saying things like that outside of these walls is like like walking in a Star Wars convention wearing a Star Trek T Shirt.

Like I said. WayForward under NDA and Shantae's mysterious absence in Indie fighting games depsite being heavily requested are too VERY VERY strong arguments and is really all we need to feel confident she's a playable character. If you inform people of these two arguments alone, people will at least stop to consider why the suspicion is there in the first place.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Did you make the video? Sorry if I offended you, that was not my intention.

I'm just being honest. I don't think it's a smart idea sharing that video around because it makes the Shantae fans seem desperate when we're reach on things that seem Coincidental. It's fine discussing it here but saying things like that outside of these walls is like like walking in a Star Wars convention wearing a Star Trek T Shirt.

Like I said. WayForward under NDA and Shantae's mysterious absence in Indie fighting games depsite being heavily requested are too VERY VERY strong arguments and is really all we need to feel confident she's a playable character. If you inform people of these two arguments alone, people will at least stop to consider why the suspicion is there in the first place.
I agree that those 2 points are the main actual facts that strongly push at her in the game. Still, don't think it hurts pointing at all the tinfoil hat theories.

I mean, people still point at clouds for Rayman, and chairs for Skullkid.

Last edited:

A1Again

Smash Cadet
I wasn't agreeing with the Indie Nobody line, hence the lol. Its just a bunch of 4chaners ******** just to *****. 4chan is just full of trolls and hateful people that have nothing better to do with their lives then to make other people as hateful and depressed as they are. Ignore pretty much anything on 4chan.

The people behind Disgaea? I would love to see Disgaea characters cross over more. Wish Etna was in Playstation All Stars.

I just want to say no one is saying all these facts make it 100% true she is in, its all cercumstancial evidence and she has A TON. best to list them all.

Also, doubt she would have Toon link as a base. Just because her game sprite is chibi like in HGH doesn't mean thats the route sakurai will go. Most likely they will go her more full size non chibi look, like her profile shots have and in her previous games
I honestly feel like I'm the only person on the planet that actually liked PS All Stars and played it profusely. I kinda wish all systems had their own version of Smash with their own exclusive characters. Sure would love to see the Arbiter take down some Gears characters and Lara Croft smacking Nathan Drake around.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

Yeah, I knew you weren't agreeing with it. I was just trying to speak my opinion on the matter, sorry. Maybe there would have been less confusion if I didn't quote your post. And, yes, I have been trying to ignore them, and I have been for a very long time, the people there aren't nice at all. Also, whoa, calm down. As you said, they're trolls, don't bother getting all worked up over them. :)

And, yeah, they are the people behind Disgaea. It'd be really cool to see the series get representation in Smash actually.

D

Deleted member

I agree that those 2 points are the main actual facts that strongly push at her in the game. Still, don't think it hurts pointing at all the tinfoil hat theories.

What did I just tell you about skull kid?

unlikely

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman

Sorry if this becomes a double post. But I'm not about to wait 10 minutes before someone posts to share what's on my mind. So Dlly, forgive me.

Anyway, listing them all is fine. But sharing them is risky because A LOT if what is being said sounds so... shaky and there's too many maybes. What I mean to say is, we list the evidence here for us to dig apart and analyze. The two rock solid evidence that we do have we should share. If we just go out on Reddit and 4chan listing off 200 reasons why she is likely, 90% of that **** will seem like reaches. And most of them are. But if you just confidently send out the two forms of evidence that is very likely like BOOM BOOM then it's easier for everyone to digest whether you support her or not.

I see people that support her not taking the video seriously because it's too much. Too much to look into it and not all of it is solid. But people that don't support her are all noticing WayForward's weird behavior and Shantae missing as a playable character in fighting games. That's something that people can get into.

Also, Sakurai tends to work off of what the character's in game model looks like rather than portraits. Just look how Simon and Mega Man are so loyal to how they look and play in game. And in all the Shantae games from the original to HGH her model is very short and chibi. It's just eaier to see with an HD sprite.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman

I don't think that's good justification for our fan base doing the same thing. Then we look just as crazy as they do for making such theories.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I honestly feel like I'm the only person on the planet that actually liked PS All Stars and played it profusely. I kinda wish all systems had their own version of Smash with their own exclusive characters. Sure would love to see the Arbiter take down some Gears characters and Lara Croft smacking Nathan Drake around.
Oh I enjoyed it too. I loved playing as Kat. I just wish the roster was better. Zeus? 2 lightning bois? Donte? I think they needed a ton more Japanese representation, and then the game really would have caught on(FF, Disgaea, any other JRPG). Also, No Crash and Spryo hurt the game a lot too.

Yeah, I knew you weren't agreeing with it. I was just trying to speak my opinion on the matter, sorry. Maybe there would have been less confusion if I didn't quote your post. And, yes, I have been trying to ignore them, and I have been for a very long time, the people there aren't nice at all. Also, whoa, calm down. As you said, they're trolls, don't bother getting all worked up over them. :)

And, yeah, they are the people behind Disgaea. It'd be really cool to see the series get representation in Smash actually.
Ok, I was just clarifying, its OK :) . I look at 4chan from time to time and then get reminded on how big of assholes people can be when there is no consiquences for what they say, which is exactly what 4chan promotes.

I don't a Disgaea character has any chance, but seeing one would be awesome. Personally, I think NIS should make their own smash like game with all their properties. Or an Ark System works game with them. Hell, Have Lab Zero make an NISA fighting game.

What did I just tell you about skull kid?

unlikely
Just Making a point :)

Sorry if this becomes a double post. But I'm not about to wait 10 minutes before someone posts to share what's on my mind. So Dlly, forgive me.

Anyway, listing them all is fine. But sharing them is risky because A LOT if what is being said sounds so... shaky and there's too many maybes. What I mean to say is, we list the evidence here for us to dig apart and analyze. The two rock solid evidence that we do have we should share. If we just go out on Reddit and 4chan listing off 200 reasons why she is likely, 90% of that **** will seem like reaches. And most of them are. But if you just confidently send out the two forms of evidence that is very likely like BOOM BOOM then it's easier for everyone to digest whether you support her or not.

I see people that support her not taking the video seriously because it's too much. Too much to look into it and not all of it is solid. But people that don't support her are all noticing WayForward's weird behavior and Shantae missing as a playable character in fighting games. That's something that people can get into.

Also, Sakurai tends to work off of what the character's in game model looks like rather than portraits. Just look how Simon and Mega Man are so loyal to how they look and play in game. And in all the Shantae games from the original to HGH her model is very short and chibi. It's just eaier to see with an HD sprite.
Honestly, most smash guesses are reaches or listening to leakers. Sakurai only gives bread crumbs if anything at all. All smash speculation has been tinfoil hat theories for all the games. Its part of the charm I feel haha.

As for her model, I think Sakurai may go for her Original look or pirates curse look, as that was the game big at the time the smash development started. HGH is the most chibi of them, all the others still give her normal like propotions(except a slightly larger head for better facial expressions) HGH went to the extreeme of it.

I wouldn't mind a HGH look to her, but I think Sakurai may go more her original look if anything, based on what he did with Simon So she may be a bit chibi/anime, but not full HGH look. And Honestly current Zelda is very much like that. A Mix of Toon and realistic, and very big expressive eyes.

I don't think that's good justification for our fan base doing the same thing. Then we look just as crazy as they do for making such theories.
As I said, all smash speculation does this, its part of the smash hype cycle.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I actually quite liked PS All Stars, mostly because it had Sackboy in it, and I really love the LittleBigPlanet games lol.

Thankfully, you didn't double post, but I forgive you anyway. ;)
With a hug of forgiveness!

Yeah, maybe we should try and keep the theories to ourselves, so we don't get too much hate from the community, stating that our points are dumb and worthless, which if you look past all of the hype... some of them really are. Some of them could be put down as simple coincidence, nothing more.

Well, I'd say it's fine if we still discuss these kinds of things here, it's not like we have much else to talk about anyway. And it's fun! As long as we're happy doing it, it's fine! :)

But, the Isaac thread is still going strong (600 pages strong now! :D) and they have almost no evidence to back his inclusion up, except for "he is a very popular request from the fans". They have almost nothing to talk about, heck, the last time I was there they were discussing the 2 cent coin (and I'm not joking). At least our bonkers theories are more relevant to the character (and Smash) than that. And, no, I wasn't trying to bash Isaac there, I'd love to see him in the game! Just voicing my opinion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom