• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
I woke up to a rather disturbing thought, a few hours ago.
the name Ms. Pacman has so many implications that you wouldn't think of.
1 - Ms implies that they were married. She's either a divorcee or a widow.
2 - Pacman is their last name. When you marry you take the persons last name. Pacman has a first name and I'm moderately uncomfortable by the thought that his first name could be George.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I keep having nightmares of Shantae being an assist trophy like shovel knight... i hope that won’t happen!

TOY the Gamer

Smash Ace
I keep having nightmares of Shantae being an assist trophy like shovel knight... i hope that won’t happen!
Same here, buddy. I really hope she's in the PLAYABLE roster and Sakurai just kept her under wraps away from the prying eyes of Vergeben.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Same here, buddy. I really hope she's in the PLAYABLE roster and Sakurai just kept her under wraps away from the prying eyes of Vergeben.
If that was the case they would have announced Shantae as an AT with Shovel Knight. Also WF would have allowed Shantae to be part of Blade Strangers.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I have researched it a bit, and come up with a Win and Loss list for Shantae if she fought all the current Smash characters in their canon forms.

Lose: ------------- Win:
Mario ------------- R.O.B
Luigi ------------- Ice Climbers
Peach ------------- Olimar
Yoshi ------------- Pac-Man
Daisy ------------- Duck Hunt
Bowser ------------- Fox
Wario ------------- Falco
Donkey Kong ------------ Wolf (all three Star Fox characters are assumed fighting without their vehicles)
Diddy Kong ------------ Pichu
Jigglypuff ------------ Mr. Game & Watch
Pokemon Trainer ------------ Wii Fit Trainer
Charizard ------------ Inkling
Pikachu ------------- Villager
Squirtle ------------- Isabelle
Ivysaur
Metwo
Greninja
Lucario
Bayonetta
Snake
Cloud
Ryu
Simon
Richter
Sonic
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Link
Toon Link
Young Link
Kirby
King Dedede
Metaknight
Ridley
King K. Rool
Captain Falcon
Ness
Lucas
Dr. Mario
Marth
Roy
Ike
Lucina
Chrom
Robin
Corrin
Pit
Dark Pit
Palutena
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Dark Samus
Rosalina & Luma
Megaman

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I’m back on iFunny and people keep saying AT at my shantae posts THAT AINT GONNA HAPPEN!

Also one user made a scary comment about Steve in smash *gulp*

“Steve has a very good chance of being in the game vergeben and one other source agreed on it. It make sense to promote the new Minecraft Dungeons game”

Guys I’m scared:(

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I’m back on iFunny and people keep saying AT at my shantae posts THAT AINT GONNA HAPPEN!

“Steve has a very good chance of being in the game vergeben and one other source agreed on it. It make sense to promote the new Minecraft Dungeons game”

You dont deserve to plasy as Shantae if your convictions are that fragile.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
It feels like all of the characters that should be fighters are AT's, so I'm not so sure that was a nightmare and not a vision of things to come:(.

Same. I'd make a comment about them unfortunately probably being right, but then everyone would call me a detractor for it. Let's just hope that Sakurai doesn't say "Steve is the first indie character to be in Smash" because then it's Game Over.

I have researched it a bit, and come up with a Win and Loss list for Shantae if she fought all the current Smash characters in their canon forms.

Bowser ------------- Fox
Donkey Kong ------------ Wolf (all three Star Fox characters are assumed fighting without their vehicles)
Ivysaur
Metwo
Greninja
Lucario
Bayonetta
Snake
Cloud
Ryu
Simon
Richter
Sonic
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Link
Toon Link
Young Link
Kirby
King Dedede
Metaknight
Ridley
King K. Rool
Captain Falcon
Ness
Lucas
Dr. Mario
Marth
Roy
Ike
Lucina
Chrom
Robin
Corrin
Pit
Dark Pit
Palutena
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Dark Samus
Rosalina & Luma
Megaman
So basically she loses to almost everyone with the ability to fight? I feel like she could beat some of the weaker Pokemon. Maybe not Charizard, Lucario or Greninja (Definitely not Mewtwo), but probably Pikachu, Squirtle and Jigglypuff.

In my life as a Smash fan I've had the overwhelming majority of my requested characters end up as assist trophies or pokeballs and it hurts every time. But also I strongly feel like they would have shown Shantae along with Shovel Knight instead of stringing us along an extra 2-3 months just to say "HEY THAT OTHER HIGHLY REQUESTED INDIE CHARACTER IS AN ASSIST TROPHY TOO LOL KEPT YA WAITING HUH?", plus Shantae not being in any other crossover fighting game would make no sense unless she's playable.

A1Again

Smash Cadet

Bowser ------------- Fox
Ivysaur
Metwo
Greninja
Lucario
Bayonetta
Snake
Cloud
Ryu
Simon
Richter
Sonic
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Link
Toon Link
Young Link
Kirby
King Dedede
Metaknight
Ridley
King K. Rool
Captain Falcon
Ness
Lucas
Dr. Mario
Marth
Roy
Ike
Lucina
Chrom
Robin
Corrin
Pit
Dark Pit
Palutena
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Dark Samus
Rosalina & Luma
Megaman
Sorry to say, but Ivysaur is weak to fire. Shantae can use Flamethrower. You didn't research enough, no offense.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Sorry to say, but Ivysaur is weak to fire. Shantae can use Flamethrower. You didn't research enough, no offense.
No Ivysaur is strong enough for that weakness to not really matter.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Alright, I wanted to share one final possibility I thought of...

Since so far there has been no mention of a Nintendo Direct, I think it's possible that there will be no news in October.
However...
What if all the remaining content will be revealed to us in November?

The way I can see this working, is November serving as a "Smash Countdown" (provided the game won't be delayed).
Think of another Smash Direct, split into parts.
With more content being revealed each week, until the release day finally comes.

Just something I came up with...

But yeah since I am an outcast now, I won't bother you with my presence anymore.
So bye...

Swade

Smash Apprentice
I recently had a dream where I found the full strategy guide for Smash Ultimate. My instinct kicked in and I just went straight to the assist trophy section to just find her, but every time I get to the section. It was never there, like it never existed at all.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey

Since so far there has been no mention of a Nintendo Direct, I think it's possible that there will be no news in October.
However...

The way I can see this working, is November serving as a "Smash Countdown" (provided the game won't be delayed).
With more content being revealed each week, until the release day finally comes.

But yeah since I am an outcast now, I won't bother you with my presence anymore.
So bye...
That'd be an interesting proposition. Not doing a full-on reveal, but a gradual 50 Fact Extravaganza-esque Direct over the weeks of November? I could see that, though I could also see them not having that many more fighters and I'd doubt that Sakurai would reveal 6-8 fighters (echoes or uniques) in the span of a month, more like maybe 2-4.
Also, why are you beating yourself up about being an "outcast"? You don't seem to be that offensive. You're more just a blunt man about this type of stuff.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Whoa now. I’m sorry for scaring you guys like that! Anyways thanks for hearing me out guys. I’m going to remember these strong reasons if I ever get that worried again.
1. The fact Shantae hasn’t appeared in any other indie crossover fighting games while shovel knight has makes me feel that Nintendo made a deal to have her appear exclusively in smash bros. AS A PLAYABLE FIGHTER!

2. WayForward pushed so hard for her during the smash ballot while shovel knight did not get much from yacht games. It was because of that I discovered her games and became a huge fan like many others and she got my ballot vote! She had to have done well due to pirates curse selling well on the 3ds in Japan that same year so she has her fans there too!

3. Jammies mode gave some hints with all the ultimate references and how that ending could in fact be hinting to that becoming a reality. Also WayForward is silent about her in smash bros probably due to nra agreements. This means she is in the game!

4. Finally I’m always going remember that she is a character of all the indies that deserves that spot due to her history with nintendo and the immense potential her moveset could bring to the table. I’m going to stay optimistic and keep rooting for her and you guys until the very end. No deconfirm means the hype doesn’t stop!
SHANTAE FOR SMASH!!

GhostStorm

Smash Apprentice
I recently had a dream where I found the full strategy guide for Smash Ultimate. My instinct kicked in and I just went straight to the assist trophy section to just find her, but every time I get to the section. It was never there, like it never existed at all.
Would be cool if they make a strategy guide. Would like to own one for novelty sake.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I woke up to a rather disturbing thought, a few hours ago.
the name Ms. Pacman has so many implications that you wouldn't think of.
1 - Ms implies that they were married. She's either a divorcee or a widow.
It could also mean they're siblings (which also doesn't necessarily mean that they weren't married ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ). :p
Er, maybe not go into that considering they have a kid. It’s a loose explanation at best, but I found a comment on Gnoggin’s video on Ms. Pac-Man:
Ms. is pronounced 'miz'. It was introduced in the early 20th century as an alternative to "Miss" or "Mrs.", for when addressing a woman whose marital status is unknown to the speaker. Eventually it became common for women, especially early feminists, to prefer going by 'Ms.' because they didn't want to be defined as a person by whether they were married to a man or not. "Ms." also began to be used just as an abbreviation for "Miss", in which case, it's pronounced the same way as "Miss". But these days, whether a woman goes by Ms., Miss, or Mrs. is pretty much a matter of personal preference.

Bowser ------------- Fox
Ivysaur
Metwo
Greninja
Lucario
Bayonetta
Snake
Cloud
Ryu
Simon
Richter
Sonic
Zelda
Sheik
Ganondorf
Link
Toon Link
Young Link
Kirby
King Dedede
Metaknight
Ridley
King K. Rool
Captain Falcon
Ness
Lucas
Dr. Mario
Marth
Roy
Ike
Lucina
Chrom
Robin
Corrin
Pit
Dark Pit
Palutena
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Dark Samus
Rosalina & Luma
Megaman
Um, what kind of research is this based on?

Minecraft Dungeons as far as we know is just coming to PC, why would Sakurai or Nintendo care about promoting it?

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Er, maybe not go into that considering they have a kid. It’s a loose explanation at best, but I found a comment on Gnoggin’s video on Ms. Pac-Man:
Ms. is pronounced 'miz'. It was introduced in the early 20th century as an alternative to "Miss" or "Mrs.", for when addressing a woman whose marital status is unknown to the speaker. Eventually it became common for women, especially early feminists, to prefer going by 'Ms.' because they didn't want to be defined as a person by whether they were married to a man or not. "Ms." also began to be used just as an abbreviation for "Miss", in which case, it's pronounced the same way as "Miss". But these days, whether a woman goes by Ms., Miss, or Mrs. is pretty much a matter of personal preference.

Um, what kind of research is this based on?

Minecraft Dungeons as far as we know is just coming to PC, why would Sakurai or Nintendo care about promoting it?
I looked into various feats, and for stuff like Pokemon what they reasonably compare to in their games.

You got any questions? :U

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
If our tin foil hat theory doesn't fail me then we should get a Direct either the day before or on the day the physical release date for a certain Shantae game over in Japan.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If that was the case, then why wasn't Dark Samus announced alongside Ridley?
To not take any of Ridley's time in the spotlight.

However...

So bye...
I believe the last Smash Direct will be grander than the last one, will be at least a hour long, and will reveal twice as much characters. I could see 4 uniques being revealed through each quarter of the Direct and Echo Fighters being revealed all together in one segment like in the last Direct. So I could see 4 more uniques and 6 more Echo Fighters left for the base roster.

Whoa now. I’m sorry for scaring you guys like that! Anyways thanks for hearing me out guys. I’m going to remember these strong reasons if I ever get that worried again.
1. The fact Shantae hasn’t appeared in any other indie crossover fighting games while shovel knight has makes me feel that Nintendo made a deal to have her appear exclusively in smash bros. AS A PLAYABLE FIGHTER!

2. WayForward pushed so hard for her during the smash ballot while shovel knight did not get much from yacht games. It was because of that I discovered her games and became a huge fan like many others and she got my ballot vote! She had to have done well due to pirates curse selling well on the 3ds in Japan that same year so she has her fans there too!

3. Jammies mode gave some hints with all the ultimate references and how that ending could in fact be hinting to that becoming a reality. Also WayForward is silent about her in smash bros probably due to nra agreements. This means she is in the game!

4. Finally I’m always going remember that she is a character of all the indies that deserves that spot due to her history with nintendo and the immense potential her moveset could bring to the table. I’m going to stay optimistic and keep rooting for her and you guys until the very end. No deconfirm means the hype doesn’t stop!
SHANTAE FOR SMASH!!
That's the spirit!

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman
Jammies mode would have to either be hinting Shantae as a playable character or the Smash references in the jammies mode are coincidences.

Jammies mode teasing Shantae as an assist trophy makes Zero sense and would be an odd and tone deaf choice on wayfowards part.

Yes, Platinum games teased Rodin as an assist trophy BUT Platinum games never ran an aggressive campaign to get him as a playable fighter.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Jammies mode would have to either be hinting Shantae as a playable character or the Smash references in smash are coincidences.

Jammies mode teasing Shantae as an assist trophy makes Zero sense and would be an odd and tone deaf choice on wayfowards part.
Like I said before, if Jammies Mode is hinting Shantae towards being a Assist Trophy than that would be like WayForward giving the middle finger to it's fans because if they know she's not in or they don't know her fate, than they shouldn't tease the fans like that.

D

Deleted member

that would be like WayForward giving the middle finger to it's fans
Wayforward loves their fans not middle fingering them they like/retweet fan art and awnser questions.
That just dumb what you said.

the Smash references in smash are coincidences.
Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!!!!!
Btw I can’t find the image can someone find it this thread for me please? I can’t find it

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I know it's almost impossible, but I'd love if that at the same time Nintendo announced Shantae's appearance in Smash, WayForward announced that a new project was in the works, new Shantae game, or not.

Her appearing in Smash could boost sales of a supposed new Wayforward game. :)

Last edited:

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
I know it's almost impossible, but I'd love if that at the same time Nintendo announced Shantae's appearance in Smash, WayForward announced that a new project was in the works, new Shantae game, or not.

Her appearing in Smash could boost sales of a supposed new Wayforward game. :)
I would love that!

Potential heresy: I really enjoyed 1/2 Genie Hero but found it to be disappointingly short. Hopefully a Smash presence would give them the funding and demand they need to make a longer sequel.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Wayforward loves their fans not middle fingering them they like/retweet fan art and awnser questions.
That just dumb what you said.
I know they like/retweet fan art and respond to questions from the fans, but what I said isn't dumb because that would be a giant false promise to the fans.

Top Bottom