• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
So people are hoping for a Nintendo Direct announcement soon? I'm ready for something.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, I think the only way for a Shantae animated series to not only work, but even thrive is to go with a streaming service like Netflix and Hulu, the only place on cable I could see it appearing is on Toonami.

And as for more talk about voice actors, think of it more in the context of the games and future releases rather than just a hypothetical animated series.
Only issue with Netflix is that you'd wait every few months or so before seeing the next batch of episodes. Worse case scenario being a small batch of episodes per season that make even one-cour shows seem longer (hello Castlevania).

That's pretty much all the leak said, just "Shantae will be revealed Oct 9, see you there" or something to that affect.

All other Direct leakers are like "It will feature this and Sakurai will scratch his nose which is a hint for the next direct and we will find out that Spirits mode is actually a tasty sandwhich that comes with the collectors edition...." And such specific details ad nauseum.

Like, this person just gave a date and a name. And such a short time away, so it's not like it was going to get tons of buzz. It's probably fake, but I can't see a reason to fake something so simple so soon to when it would be proven false.

So, again, probably fake, but since the wait is so short I'm going allow myself to get moderately hyped.
While it might be fake, I do appreciate the straightforwardness and lack of beating the bush to it. No walls of text, no puzzles, no picture association, no blurry pictures, no lackluster videos, no claims of hearing from the cousin's grandpa's uncle's daughter's pet hamster that works at Nintendo, just plain old directly saying what it is and getting straight to the point.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Today is Sunday and I am in the mood for.......(you get the drill)

Anyway we have about 1 to 2 days left for Nintendo to announce a Smash Direct as the rumors say they would. Let's see how right those "leakers" are.
You're exhausting the stockpile! I might as well give you what you want...
tumblr_nwxj2tS8TS1soy3odo1_500.gif

Those are the only 2 new ones I could think of. I must do some searching it seems.

So people are hoping for a Nintendo Direct announcement soon? I'm ready for something.
Yup. The "new fighter" tag on the website has disappeared, which usually means a reveal is imminent in the next week or so.
Let's hope for the best! :)

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
You're exhausting the stockpile! I might as well give you what you want...
View attachment 168542
Those are the only 2 new ones I could think of. I must do some searching it seems.

Yup. The "new fighter" tag on the website has disappeared, which usually means a reveal is imminent in the next week or so.
Let's hope for the best! :)
Well, you saved space princess party for last so that's definitely a way to go out on a high note where gifs are concerned.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
The only other name I've seen tossed around for a potential reveal this month, and this is more theory than leak, is Medusa. I'm kinda hoping we get Shantae as a newcomer and Medusa as an echo. That'd be a pretty sizable patch for any supposed leaks.

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
The only other name I've seen tossed around for a potential reveal this month, and this is more theory than leak, is Medusa. I'm kinda hoping we get Shantae as a newcomer and Medusa as an echo. That'd be a pretty sizable patch for any supposed leaks.
Is Medusa a popular request?

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
As far as I can see, she's got a small fan-following, they're just not vocal about it. Then again, I have a bad habit of not really paying attention to things.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Is Medusa a popular request?
Not so much as popular, but that she has a lot of things in her favor. First, a villain from a franchise that doesn't have one yet and with this games seeming theme of good v evil, that's one point for her. Second, Sakurai does have bias to series he has worked on and KI has been a passion project of his ever since Melee when Pit almost got added, so, another point. Last she would be an easy echo of Palutena because they are the same height, shape and both wield a staff. Further, Palutena used to have 12 custom special moves that were all unique, but now that custom moves aren't around, that's 8 specials going to waste. Give Medusa four of them and you have an echo with all unique special moves, making her worth more than other echos.

Last edited:

DOTBHDD

Smash Journeyman
Interesting.

Medusa would be cool. Not really into her personally. I think Shantae would most likely be the final female introduced to Smash Ultimate. Can't really think of any more other super popular female requests besides her.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Interesting.

Medusa would be cool. Not really into her personally. I think Shantae would most likely be the final female introduced to Smash Ultimate. Can't really think of any more other super popular female requests besides her.
Well, Viridi has chances similar to Medusa, just for her they would have to pull a Young Link with her size. She also had the Mii costume in her favor (Honestly we could have both considering there are 8 specials left over. I would not be surprised to have them both before DLC is done)

Dixie Kong is close enough behind, I think.
If we get Dixie and Shantae there really wouldn't be anyone else i needed. They were my two biggest wants during the Ballot.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Interesting.

I dunno how popular she is, but I do see Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X come up a bit

I dunno how popular she is, but I do see Elma from Xenoblade Chronicles X come up a bit
Eehhh both Elma and Xenoblade X in general aren't really popular (Not a lot of people played X because Wii U and Elma is widely considered to be a very bland and boring character) so much as they want her as a consolation prize since we're likely not getting any Xenoblade 2 content until Dlc and people want SOMETHING to hold them over.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm a big fan of Medusa, so I hope she gets in. a very cool female villain. she could ork as a unique or palutena echo

Dukefire

Smash Master
Right now, the focus of the majority is on Incinaroar, Steve, Geno, Bandana Dee and Skull Kid to be announced next for Smash since the number of base slots is almost full.

Who knows, it could be one of them or one that not a lot was expecting. It's unstable with 60 days Remaining on the clock.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Right now, the focus of the majority is on Incinaroar, Steve, Geno, Bandana Dee and Skull Kid to be announced next for Smash since the number of base slots is almost full.

Who knows, it could be one of them or one that not a lot was expecting. It's unstable with 60 days Remaining on the clock.
Steve is not happening. Neither is Bandana waddle Dee or Skull kid. the former due to while popular i doubt popular enough for smash. Or unique enough. Skullkid because i feel Sakurai will pull a ridley and make him a boss.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Soo, why don't we be the minority that ignores them, in favour of other things instead?

And, I didn't think the base slots were almost full. Nobody at Nintendo said that, did they?
Sakurai is a weird guy (in a fun way :3), his thought process is much different than anyone else's. He could do anything really. Don't expect any certain thing from him (which i know sounds bad, but that's not what i really meant... sorry). If those are the characters people expect, he'll probably do the exact opposite.

Let's just try to think about the good, and the positive for now, as hard as it may seem. :)

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Soo, why don't we be the minority that ignores them, in favour of other things instead?

And, I didn't think the base slots were almost full. Nobody at Nintendo said that, did they?
Sakurai is a weird guy (in a fun way :3), his thought process is much different than anyone else's. He could do anything really. Don't expect any certain thing from him (which i know sounds bad, but that's not what i really meant... sorry). If those are the characters people expect, he'll probably do the exact opposite.

Let's just try to think about the good, and the positive for now, as hard as it may seem. :)
Quite true, there is no evidence one way or the other to suggest how full or lacking the revealed roster is. All we have heard is "don't expect too many" and "slowing down"

The first statement already seems to be more than what most would consider too many, so i have a feeling the second won't be as slow as most expect either

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I like the 2009 and 2001 shantae
Me too, I hope this stuff will be shown off in Udon's artbook, if that ever comes out.

Quite true, there is no evidence one way or the other to suggest how full or lacking the revealed roster is. All we have heard is "don't expect too many" and "slowing down"

The first statement already seems to be more than what most would consider too many, so i have a feeling the second won't be as slow as most expect either
Not to mention that the article the second statement was published in had gotten delayed, so it holds a different kind of truth to it than most people realise.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace

I want the card characters >:0

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Going back to that Nintendo Power concept article, what kind of style do you all think Shantae would use when wielding battering weapon items? So far we've seen only a horizontal swipe in Ninja mode, which is hardly her usual style.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Going back to that Nintendo Power concept article, what kind of style do you all think Shantae would use when wielding battering weapon items? So far we've seen only a horizontal swipe in Ninja mode, which is hardly her usual style.
I'm pretty sure Sakurai and Wayforward can talk it out on her inclusion.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
There are other third party characters I definitely want to see first, but I actually do like Shantae and would like to see her in the roster. If there's a support list and I'm not on it, add me please.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
The issue I see with trying to adapt the game plots into a show is that, well, the game structure, especially in the older games, is a bit too formulaic. The original is basically, visit town, talk to friend, friend opens door, explore dungeon, find villain who taunts you then fight a boss. Repeat three more times. Not to mention the overworld wandering where nothing of significance happens, and the backtracking. And it's not like you can just cut them out, otherwise items will start popping up out of nowhere.

Half-Genie Hero's plot at least, would probably transition into a show better than the others, since it's structure is pretty episodic as it is. And you wouldn't have to show what happened in the previous two games to understand it.
That’s why I mentioned earlier that I’m also trying to figure out some original storylines to splice in there; smaller conflicts, development for not just Shantae but for the the rest of the main characters and Sequin Land, just more stuff to fill out the story a bit more while still working within the confines of the context of each game.

Something like this maybe?
0F44AD48-E086-4DAB-9623-B249566D4597.png

Top Bottom