• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
That’s why I mentioned earlier that I’m also trying to figure out some original storylines to splice in there; smaller conflicts, development for not just Shantae but for the the rest of the main characters and Sequin Land, just more stuff to fill out the story a bit more while still working within the confines of the context of each game.

Something like this maybe?
View attachment 168557
That art is beautiful

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Indeed! :D

The art style in the Nintendo Power article seemed to be very distinct actually.
The NP article was when Pirate’s Curse was first announced, so it makes sense why it looks so different, more so building off of the Risky’s Revenge art style

7675C350-7114-49BA-B4E8-4830032F7F69.png

2C93592A-BC25-4E04-BF1D-B83A4D53A892.png

F4A7BA0C-5362-474F-8876-31C30FC1401A.png

I don’t think Inti Creates came in for the portrait art until later on

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
The NP article was when Pirate’s Curse was first announced, so it makes sense why it looks so different, more so building off of the Risky’s Revenge art style

I feel like it has it's own unique style altogether. Which is good, the art is beautiful! Especially that Ammo Baron one.

If only there was more depicting Rotty.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I feel like it has it's own unique style altogether. Which is good, the art is beautiful! Especially that Ammo Baron one.

If only there was more depicting Rotty.
I guess that could apply to the first and last ones though there are still hints, the middle one is clearly adapting RR’s artstyle

Speaking of, I know it’s not official but I did find another beautiful fanart, same person who did that Sky art I posted a while back but I get the feeling you’ll appreciate this one more
E0DD8BD7-A2CE-460F-A37F-B980C40DEB01.png

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Interesting that Shantae's had so many variations in style considering the series has only 4 main games. Some like 0.5 Genie Hero even have two in the same game.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Interesting that Shantae's had so many variations in style considering the series has only 4 main games. Some like 0.5 Genie Hero even have two in the same game.
Well, that's mostly going by the artwork. The sprite in Risky's Revenge and Pirate's Quest look exactly the same.

D

Deleted member

Doing a reveal on the 9th would make the most sense because the music gets updated on Tuesdays and the last music preview was last week and it was an other section track before getting ready for an announcement. just like simon when an other track comes out before next week a new franchise is revealed and it be safe to do it on the 9th instead of the 10th because it would overshadow the new nes games coming on the nes online thing so there you have it

And here comes the hate from all of y’all saying I’m wrong:(

Last edited by a moderator:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Lol I just came from that 4chan leak that talks about shantae being revealed. I must say reading that whole thread was a roller coaster.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Doing a reveal on the 9th would make the most sense because the music gets updated on Tuesdays and the last music preview was last week and it was an other section track before getting ready for an announcement. just like simon when an other track comes out before next week a new franchise is revealed and it be safe to do it on the 9th instead of the 10th because it would overshadow the new nes games coming on the nes online thing so there you have it

Well, if you have your doubts and say it up front, the retaliation wouldn't be too bad later on.

Better to have multiple supports rather then just one.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Not so much as popular, but that she has a lot of things in her favor. First, a villain from a franchise that doesn't have one yet and with this games seeming theme of good v evil, that's one point for her. Second, Sakurai does have bias to series he has worked on and KI has been a passion project of his ever since Melee when Pit almost got added, so, another point. Last she would be an easy echo of Palutena because they are the same height, shape and both wield a staff. Further, Palutena used to have 12 custom special moves that were all unique, but now that custom moves aren't around, that's 8 specials going to waste. Give Medusa four of them and you have an echo with all unique special moves, making her worth more than other echos.
I'm glad that Palutena got a new side-b, but if that was going to happen I was really hoping for the superspeed dash she had, that's what would've made her actually good and really fun to play. I'm still going to try and see how far she can go and how fun she is in ultimate. Maybe there'll be a few cool surprises.
But it'd be interesting if Medusa did have some different ones. I feel like echos are kind of like easy variety for some character styles.

It'd be interesting if something came that soon, but it's already in 2 days, so I dont think there'd be a smash direct in 2 days, but who knows maybe some kind of announcement.

I'm not expecting too much, but whoever's hyped, I'm hyped that you're hyped :D

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Lol I just came from that 4chan leak that talks about shantae being revealed. I must say reading that whole thread was a roller coaster.
Haha, I bet.
You know, the one where it says she'll be revealed on the 9th. I'm just talking about the comments under the leak. That's where everything goes downhill
Yup.
Oh boy, such fun!

smashkirby

Smash Hero

I remember seeing this kind of thing for Risky Boots on nintendo power (which was how i was technically introduced to the Shantae franchise, but not the character) but here's the one for Shantae herself :3

OK, can I just say that I absolutely ADORE the Risky's Revenge artstyle? To me, the Risky's Revenge artstyle feels like a perfect example of 'Anime, but not TOO anime'.

Like, this is why I hope that if Shantae is in Smash, her design borrows heavily from the promo artwork for this game.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Nah, Connor, you won't get any hate.

I already hate your guts! :D
Yeah I know, it was fun to read though :D
Heh, I'd think it was.
It may be a bit disheartening though, reading through all of those negative comments about her. Shouldn't bring anyone's mood down too much though, and you should just ignore them if they do upset you.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
OK, can I just say that I absolutely ADORE the Risky's Revenge artstyle? To me, the Risky's Revenge artstyle feels like a perfect example of 'Anime, but not TOO anime'.

Like, this is why I hope that if Shantae is in Smash, her design borrows heavily from the promo artwork for this game.
I really like the last one on the right (the bigger one), I dont know what it's particularly from though, is it just the normal one? Maybe looking at it compared to the rougher ones makes it stand out.
A mixture of that and HGH would probably be my fave, I think :)

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

I have no issues with the artstyle myself, though I do think it can sometimes make characters a little, well...
5AE66F21-511A-4021-8751-730B0ACEFE86.png

doofy looking to be frank

I really like the last one on the right (the bigger one), I dont know what it's particularly from though, is it just the normal one? Maybe looking at it compared to the rougher ones makes it stand out.
A mixture of that and HGH would probably be my fave, I think :)
Dat transparency on those pants tho.

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Nah, Connor, you won't get any hate.

I already hate your guts! :D

Heh, I'd think it was.
It may be a bit disheartening though, reading through all of those negative comments about her. Shouldn't bring anyone's mood down too much though, and you should just ignore them if they do upset you.
I was intrigued by the hate they gave out to her. It just makes it even better when she does get in.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was intrigued by the hate they gave out to her. It just makes it even better when she does get in.
That's interesting, I'm glad youre here :)
I remember Lindsey Stirling mentioned something similar, like it just fueled her more when there were haters, because of her passion to prove them wrong (besides wanting to show herself that she can go far, I guess). To me it's like.. firey in a positive way, I want to learn to be more like that too. :)

Last edited:

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
That's interesting, I'm glad youre here :)
I remember Lindsey Stirling mentioned something similar, like it just fueled her more when there were haters, because of her passion to prove them wrong (besides wanting to show herself that she can go far, I guess). To me it's like.. firey in a positive way, I want to learn to be more like that too. :)
Speaking of Lindsey, I really like her senbonzakura cover! Shes pretty good :D

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Controversial opinion. (which youre free to have)
I love the new design by times 50 :)
I kinda said it for them to come kill me haha..

Indeed I do too

I will say I really like Zelda’s personality and charm in Ultimate, it seems like she actually wants to be here

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I love the new design by times 50 :)
Indeed I do too
I love it a lot too, just so cute, and charming, and bubbly!

From what I've seen, it looks like a mixture of the ALttP and the ALBW designs, but I'm not too sure. I hope that design makes it into a 3D Zelda game eventually!

I will say I really like Zelda’s personality and charm in Ultimate, it seems like she actually wants to be here
Agreed. ;)

Well, I don't know how many characters REALLY want to be there, since they're all getting beat up. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
She has so much more of it, and also cuteness and joy. (which I Im a big fan of. surprised some people prefer more somber looks, but each their own :))

And obviously that's why I like the HGH shantae. But I do like the taller design from before too, there's something more graceful there, but generally smaller character tend to do better in smash :p (apart from longer hitboxes, I guess.)

I love it a lot too, just so cute, and charming, and bubbly!

From what I've seen, it looks like a mixture of the ALttP and the ALBW designs, but I'm not too sure. I hope that design makes it into a 3D Zelda game eventually!

Agreed. ;)

Well, I don't know how many characters REALLY want to be there, since they're all getting beat up. :ohwell:
Or do the beating up ;)
Dont you want a cute character trashing everyone? I know I do :)

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Yes and since you've brought up Zelda, twilight Zelda is best lady, with the newer smash Zelda coming second!....whoops did I say that out loud?
I like Twilight Zelda's design, but as a character...she leaves much to be desired, IMO. She wasn't in the game enough to really do much. Personally, I like Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild Zeldas better.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I feel like I can finally play Zelda now online. A friend of mine has said they buffed her.
She's buffed significantly. Just the being able to land her fair and bair more safely is huge.
Side b is faster and you can act after if you do it in the air. And there's more.

Some people think she's still not super great, but it depends what they look at. I'd say she's pretty good now.
Ohh, really? That's interesting!

I don't know much about what they've done to Link (besides the basic changes). Hopefully they've buffed him, that would be very nice.
Being able to grab quick is actually a good change. And his bomb is actually great for edge guarding, so he'll be good too.

It's all up in the air until there's a lot more mastery by everyone though.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Agreed. ;)

I mean we know the Animal Crossing characters want to be there, and I’m sure Shantae wants to be there too

She has so much more of it, and also cuteness and joy. (which I Im a big fan of. surprised some people prefer more somber looks, but each their own :))

And obviously that's why I like the HGH shantae. But I do like the taller design from before too, there's something more graceful there, but generally smaller character tend to do better in smash :p (apart from longer hitboxes, I guess.)
I’d say the portrait art is a pretty good height, I find it both cute and graceful, and Shantae’s canonically pretty short anyway

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Ohh, really? That's interesting!

I don't know much about what they've done to Link (besides the basic changes). Hopefully they've buffed him, that would be very nice.
This probably has nothing to do with him being buffed, but sakurai did something really neat to get one of the final smashes with links boomerang.

D

Deleted member

Anybody watching the big house twitch stream? Make sure to look out for any announcement the likeliest would be a single character announcement date.

Top Bottom