• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Shall i convict myself then?
On another note, I can't help but love the in game art of the original shantae
Well, if you must.

Are you referring to the pixel art? The original definitely has the best graphics on the GBC by far.

Edit 50 something minutes after this was originally posted heh: Huh, I'm feeling absolutely hopeless right now. There is nothing good for me, and it doesn't feel like there ever will be.

Last edited:

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
Wish I could remember where I saw that batch of idiocy. It was either 4Chan or GameFAQS.
I thought it was from Twitter, because I remember one dude saying that she shouldn't be in because she'd make G&W "not unique" with his 2D gimmick. Maybe it was the same guy, different platform or multiple people think that way, in which case I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry in response.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dose anyone want me to draw shantae hip bumping daisy in the art just so you would see what it looks like?

Inoj

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1541-1574-0818
That post earlier reminded me of this for some reason:
A bit mean, no?

Earlier in this thread it was asked what a modern day Shantae would wear:

Last edited:

kevinthedot

Smash Apprentice
Well if we're gonna talk about chest size, technically Shantae's got the smallest bust out of her friends.

I don't get why Risky is a pirate. She's already got a fantastic chest, she doesn't need more.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Okay here's a hypothetical for you all, so worst case scenario Shantae is not in Smash Ultimate whatsoever. What fighter (if any) would you take as a consolation prize? For me personally, if Shantae wasn't in but Joker from Persona 5 was playable I would eat my laptop out of sheer hype.
Ayumi Tachibana, Lip, KOS-MOS, Banjo-Kazooie, and Primarina/Pheromosa to name a few, anyone of those or two would make for no Shantae.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Well if we're gonna talk about chest size, technically Shantae's got the smallest bust out of her friends.

I don't get why Risky is a pirate. She's already got a fantastic chest, she doesn't need more.
Ah, yes, those outfits! Yeah, Shantae is the least busty. But her dances prove that she knows how to use what she has. :D

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
inb4 a mod comes in and destroys this thread for the picture, all while this scream echos everywhere by young kids first gazing upon it
You don't say... "Ear ****" would be more fitting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I have a couple problems...

A. Where is her waist? She doesn't look at all look healthy.
B. She's looking pretty mean there, she wouldn't be like that these days.
C. You can't see her delightful legs through her pants which should be see through (I'm a pervert heh).

I still love the design though, I just don't think it would fit the best in Smash.
Shantae's pretty (relatively) sullen in the original, at least based on my first impressions. Very little of that bubbly joy you see later on in the series.

It's a pretty incredible, believable arc concerning her self-esteem. At first she just plain feels inadequate due to "only" being a half-genie, and as a result has absolutely no room for shenanigans in her mind. After finally defeating Risky for the first time, her confidence improves somewhat, only to be shaken again upon being fired. Her half-genie status continues to weigh on her... until it comes to life and tries to kill her on Risky's orders.

Pirate's Curse is a strange case where even though she's technically even weaker than before and she knows it, in some ways it seems like a burden was temporarily lifted, no longer being expected to do genie things and thus, she can express herself more freely than before. In the end, though, she still needed to be half-genie to beat the Pirate Master.

Half-Genie Hero is where this issue is finally addressed head-on. After nearly having her genie half turn on her again due to dark magic, being saved from it by her non-magical friends and nearly seeing the entire genie race corrupted in the same way, Shantae is a completely changed woman by the end. No longer seeing the genies as infallible and fully realizing the strengths of being human result in her finally becoming at peace with who she is, and thus we see her at her happiest in the DLC campaigns.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Shantae's pretty (relatively) sullen in the original, at least based on my first impressions. Very little of that bubbly joy you see later on in the series.

It's a pretty incredible, believable arc concerning her self-esteem. At first she just plain feels inadequate due to "only" being a half-genie, and as a result has absolutely no room for shenanigans in her mind. After finally defeating Risky for the first time, her confidence improves somewhat, only to be shaken again upon being fired. Her half-genie status continues to weigh on her... until it comes to life and tries to kill her on Risky's orders.

Pirate's Curse is a strange case where even though she's technically even weaker than before and she knows it, in some ways it seems like a burden was temporarily lifted, no longer being expected to do genie things and thus, she can express herself more freely than before. In the end, though, she still needed to be half-genie to beat the Pirate Master.

Half-Genie Hero is where this issue is finally addressed head-on. After nearly having her genie half turn on her again due to dark magic, being saved from it by her non-magical friends and nearly seeing the entire genie race corrupted in the same way, Shantae is a completely changed woman by the end. No longer seeing the genies as infallible and fully realizing the strengths of being human result in her finally becoming at peace with who she is, and thus we see her at her happiest in the DLC campaigns.
except for the Ninja campaign. she was years old dirty diapers all OVER her body.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Well, if you must.

Are you referring to the pixel art? The original definitely has the best graphics on the GBC by far.

Edit 50 something minutes after this was originally posted heh: Huh, I'm feeling absolutely hopeless right now. There is nothing good for me, and it doesn't feel like there ever will be.
Nope the art made for the game haha

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
A. It's cartoony and unrealistic AF, that's why it's so great
B. She has more personality in this version than in Half Genie Hero
C. no u
A. But the waistline is a problem, if she gets hit by so much as Mario’s F.L.U.D.D., the poor girl will snap in half!

B.OBJECTION!
790BE452-CC43-4FA2-82BE-910343D8FC4C.png

I’m not gonna let you sit there and tell us Shantae has more personality in the original
73099134-F2FA-44F5-A830-4532B08FACCD.png

A08875AF-08CC-4512-9B99-71D24E5F1553.png

EF5163F7-269B-43D0-9C4E-670846A36B91.png

Actually that last one alone proves my point enough
3. You’ve revoked your arguing privileges with that statement.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Oh, and today's blog post was interesting...

They said that Sheik is a guy...
We're all doomed.
It's equal parts funny and confusing that they'll casually throw Fiora into Shulk's FS (a possible spoiler for a more recent game) but refer to Sheik as a he as though people don't know that it's Zelda when OOT is much older and much more well known.

That or it's just meant as a reference but still, it's a bit strange to just bring that up when they've referred to Sheik as a she in past Smash games.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

That does make me wonder how they will handle her arc in future releases

Shadowknight1

Well, I'm hoping that some of the stuff from the Kickstarter that didn't get funded, like the Risky's redemption story, may end up in a future game!

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

They said that Sheik was a guy...
We're all doomed.
We gotta pay close attention to the frequency of character blog posts going into the home stretch.

That does make me wonder how they will handle her arc in future releases
Well, I'm hoping that some of the stuff from the Kickstarter that didn't get funded, like the Risky's redemption story, may end up in a future game!
Shantae may have the reached the peak of her own personal character development, but everyone around her still have stories to tell. And she'll be with them every step of the way, if need be.

Redemption for Risky, though... how would they go about that? I'd imagine it'd be very gradual process, maybe starting with her "conquering" a town that was in fact ruled by a tyrant, and she inadvertently gets hailed as a hero.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
My favorite design is definitely HGH. I love to see her with that much joy and cuteness.
It would be cool if they make a new design that's kind of a blend of her designs too, but I like the cute :)

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Shantae may have the reached the peak of her own personal character development, but everyone around her still have stories to tell. And she'll be with them every step of the way, if need be.

Redemption for Risky, though... how would they go about that? I'd imagine it'd be very gradual process, maybe starting with her "conquering" a town that was in fact ruled by a tyrant, and she inadvertently gets hailed as a hero.
That'd make sense to me. I think it's somewhat hinted that she's been corrupted by dark magic.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
This came across my mind while I was at work. I’d think I can safely say at least two reasons why I prefer the HGH design over the Pirate’s Curse design are her colors and her eyes. Her tan looks a lot more natural and the rest of her color scheme has stronger hues of color and it makes her really pop out. And with the eyes, they feel like a natural progression of Matt’s original style. I like the pupils when they’re a lot thinner, they have a lot more room to move around and I think they give her a lot more expression.

Any ideas of what kind of stories these could be? As well as how they would affect Shantae so she doesn’t end up becoming a side character in her own series?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That'd make sense to me. I think it's somewhat hinted that she's been corrupted by dark magic.
She was cursed by the Pirate Master for sure... but given that she defied him in his last moments (murder by inaction), how much that influenced her is in question. In fact I think humans in general are less susceptible to magic corruption, it's how Shantae was able to fight her corruption better than full genies after all.

What drives Risky to conquer and do evil is... that's really all she knows. In her own words the Pirate Master "taught me everything I know". That almost sounds like she was borderline raised by him... maybe too well. In her mind raiding, pillaging and plotting are the only ways to get what you want. It would take genuine kindness from many people to convince her otherwise, not just one particularly selfless individual.

Wademan94 Wademan94 Easy. Just take the plot threads raised by Bolo, Rottytops and Sky at the end of Half-Genie Hero and incorporate them in Shantae's next adventure somehow. Bolo's dojo could be a key facility for learning moves, Wrench might have problems reaching his family that Sky and Shantae would work together to fix, and who knows what a zombie road trip would lead to.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

She was cursed by the Pirate Master for sure... but given that she defied him in his last moments (murder by inaction), how much that influenced her is in question. In fact I think humans in general are less susceptible to magic corruption, it's how Shantae was able to fight her corruption better than full genies after all.

What drives Risky to conquer and do evil is... that's really all she knows. In her own words the Pirate Master "taught me everything I know". That almost sounds like she was borderline raised by him... maybe too well. In her mind raiding, pillaging and plotting are the only ways to get what you want. It would take genuine kindness from many people to convince her otherwise, not just one particularly selfless individual.
Which sadly she's not likely to get kindness from Shantae's friends. Heck, Bolo and Sky barely tolerate Rottytops.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
In her first game Shantae is honest to god crass as hell to everyone, she's also in a huge rush so even when talking to friends she has maybe 2 lines of normal dialog before going "ANYWAY I need to stop Risky, what do you know?"

She definitely mellows out in her later games, I think Pirate's Curse put it best, she's a nice and compassionate girl but has a very short temper. Even when she snaps at her friends (read: Bolo) she calms down very quickly and talks to them normally. I think Shantae has a "work mode" where she's got the temper of a female 90s anime lead, and a "casual mode" which is what she's in in all the DLC where no one is actually in danger and she's messing around in her Ninja outfit or going to the beach or something.
That almost sounds like she was borderline raised by him... maybe too well. In her mind raiding, pillaging and plotting are the only ways to get what you want. It would take genuine kindness from many people to convince her otherwise, not just one particularly selfless individual.
In HGH's Pirate Mode, Hypno Baron says Risky is a being possessed by Dark Magic, which honestly makes a lot of sense considering she's purple and the only people with odd skintones in the Shantae world are zombies or obvious non human entities. I think Risky was always evil but hanging out with the Pirate Master got her tangled up with Dark Magic voodoo and bam, now she's pure evil, her skin turned purple, and she's connected to Dark Magic.
There's also the fact that the reason Risky didn't travel into the dens of evil with Shantae in PC was because she was afraid of getting possessed like her Tinkerbats (turned into Cacklebats) so she was also extremely susceptible to Dark Magic considering it's likely a huge part of her being by that point.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

They said that Sheik was a guy...
We're all doomed.
Even when i first played the game it never occurred to me that Sheik was a guy. I looked at the character and instantly thought it was female. I don't know if I suspected she was Zelda, but I never thought she was male.

I remember I had friends over who had already played the game trying to gaslight me saying "what are you talking about? Sheik is a guy"

Top Bottom