• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

zferolie

Smash Hero

Yeah It's that one. I listened to a few seconds of the pre-show and recognized her voice.

What I think happened is she sent out the "wrapped by the game" tweet, realized that we'd freak out, and mentioned that she was in a Disney World ride to distract us. She didn't say which to send us (or me, at least) on a wild goose chase to figure out what it was. If it wasn't anything big, why even bother doing anything to cover it up?
Well... that thumbnail just spoiled the third danganronpa game for me :(

D

Deleted member

I come back and a few of you seem to be giving up hope that those voice lines are for an AT because if they were they use voice clips from one of her games like PC well guess what they’re not. besides it’s somthing to put in Stephano Stephano s shantae spread sheet. like what EntropyKnight EntropyKnight said that animations take the longest time and one they’re done they do the voice over. Most likely the do the JP voices first then the US last. and that could explain the missing blog posts because they haven’t finished her animations yet and they had to hold back her reveal and what Hollywoodrok12 Hollywoodrok12 said is that the Disney world part was to distract us so she can cover up what she said. so this is BIG. also Makai Wars Makai Wars stated that possibly Cristina did the same thing Shulks va was also both of them said they were done with voice acting smash and imo Cristina could also do voice lines for her reveal and for a potential stage hazard. so cristina could begin the exact same situation that shulks va was and they dissent say what game and that won’t hurt an nda and it’s nothing against her chances of being playable. Also makai stated that when she asked Matt about shantae in smash and rotty as an assist he justs follows her instead of awnsering meaning their science is indeed suspicious. another thing to put in the spread sheet so yeah this dose not hurt her chances at being playable at all.

NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, long time lurker, full time Shantae fan (and hopefully I'll be able to main her).

I just wanted to jump in on the VA thing. It's worth noting that in both Anime and Japanese games that voice actors perform their lines *after* the animation enters it's final phases and usually match their voices up with the lip flaps. So, if Christina is indeed recording for Smash, it would make sense for it to be done after Shantae's animations were finalized.

Last edited:

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Imma be real with you guys. All the evidence we have is circumstantial. I want Shantae in Smash, but it's important to remember that there's nothing that's solid to state that she'll have any appearance and the same goes to popular characters like Issac and Bandanna Dee, as really the only evidence that may point towards characters are:

-Missing AND replaced ATs.
-Having had a Mii costume.
-What Sakurai has said in the past.

So only really get hyped for Shadow, Skull Kid, and maybe Geno.
Even those characters are circumstantial, though. Any hype is, realistically, unwarranted. We have nothing on shadow except a missing AT and a free bundle added to a sonic game (Isaac proved in Smash 4 missing AT means nothing and he could still be revealed as an AT) and Skull Kid has very little to go off of too, the AT thing and Zelda still having some musical to reveal (same as above). There's more for each and I'm not saying don't get hype, but the only thing that's definite is the 72 characters who have been revealed so far.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Sorry that happened to you, man... That sucks. I kinda got spoiled by a similar thumbnail on stuff, but Danganronpa V3 is my favourite in the series even with some stuff having been spoiled. Heck, most of the time my profile picture is either Haru like it is now or Himiko from V3. (I love that little Nyeh mage)

Anyway, I think most evidence for any character is just wild guessing. Even when there are leaks everywhere like in this cycle, we can't prove any of those leaks are correct. Basically what I've gotta say is that all evidence is kind of debatable, even if it seems real. We won't know until the game is released.

Also to edit this on to talk about what Motor Bug posted, no I don't think this does. I think it just means we might only have one Smash direct or two with maybe one or two reveals each time.
Basically I think 4 would be a good number for the remaining amount of characters. We got 8 new additions since june (Ridley, Simon, Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom, Daisy, K. Rool and Isabelle) so maybe half of that for the last 3 months is a safe number. 4 or 5 is still my guess.

Last edited:

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
I've edited my previous post so you can see what I was talking about.
It kind of reads like he's telling us not to expect a reveal each month, like they have been doing. I could easily see any October direct skipping Smash, followed by a November Smash Direct showing us the remaining fighters. Even if she doesn't make it into base roster, I'd be happy with a DLC slot (or, begrudgingly, an AT).

DerErlenkonig

Smash Cadet
Don't want to derail things, but just a quick aside.

I just bought and finished 1/2 Genie Hero in large part because of the enthusiasm of this board. It was great! I can absolutely see how incredibly well she'd work as a fighter.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sorry that happened to you, man... That sucks. I kinda got spoiled by a similar thumbnail on stuff, but Danganronpa V3 is my favourite in the series even with some stuff having been spoiled. Heck, most of the time my profile picture is either Haru like it is now or Himiko from V3. (I love that little Nyeh mage)

Anyway, I think most evidence for any character is just wild guessing. Even when there are leaks everywhere like in this cycle, we can't prove any of those leaks are correct. Basically what I've gotta say is that all evidence is kind of debatable, even if it seems real. We won't know until the game is released.

Also to edit this on to talk about what Motor Bug posted, no I don't think this does. I think it just means we might only have one Smash direct or two with maybe one or two reveals each time.
Basically I think 4 would be a good number for the remaining amount of characters. We got 8 new additions since june (Ridley, Simon, Richter, Dark Samus, Chrom, Daisy, K. Rool and Isabelle) so maybe half of that for the last 3 months is a safe number. 4 or 5 is still my guess.
D2 was my favorite of the series, as it had my favorite characters, Ibuki and Chiaki. no one seemed to click with me for D3 in just the trailers except the protag and maybe that surfer girl.

4 more additions including echos? hmmmm, that honestly is worrying for shantae's chances. we are pretty sure 1 of those slots is a pokemon, and ken echo just feels more likely. After that really there are a lot that could get in before shantae. Steve, isaac, geno, a retro.... I really hope this is just Sakurai semi-trolling, or something like maybe there will be a bunch at once at the end, or some in october and some in november...

D

Deleted member

D2 was my favorite of the series, as it had my favorite characters, Ibuki and Chiaki. no one seemed to click with me for D3 in just the trailers except the protag and maybe that surfer girl.

4 more additions including echos? hmmmm, that honestly is worrying for shantae's chances. we are pretty sure 1 of those slots is a pokemon, and ken echo just feels more likely. After that really there are a lot that could get in before shantae. Steve, isaac, geno, a retro.... I really hope this is just Sakurai semi-trolling, or something like maybe there will be a bunch at once at the end, or some in october and some in november...
Steve isn't happening so don’t worry about our girl

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
. I feel like I'm waiting for that one thing to completely deconfirm Shantae one way or another--but no such thing seems to be happening.

Ever get that feeling sometimes that our situation might be too good to be true?
I feel the same, I've been waiting for that one thing to deconfirm her or for Wayforward to be like "naw she's not in *dabs*" but that hasn't happened. If Shantae is really only an Assist after all this I'll admit I'll be really sad.

Also, apparently Shantae is the mascot of the platformer section on the Wii U Eshop, can someone with their Wii U check that for me?

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, D2 is a lot of people's favourite too. Honestly there's no bad choices for favourites. Also the surfer girl (Angie) has one of my favourite designs in the series and some of my favourite sprites. She's great. I really like the whole V3 cast (Yay slightly off topic sub-conversation in the Shantae thread. Well I'm keeping the other half of what I'm saying on topic, so it's fiiiine)

Anyway, I don't think less newcomers hurts her chances, at least it doesn't to me. In the end it is and always has been Sakurai's choice of characters, so she has the same chance that she always did. Plus DLC is a thing, although having her in at the base game would be cool. (They could do an expansion pass thing or something) 4-5 characters still seems about right to me, too. Basically my hope is at the same level it has been! Yeah!

D

Deleted member

I feel the same, I've been waiting for that one thing to deconfirm her or for Wayforward to be like "naw she's not in *dabs*" but that hasn't happened. If Shantae is really only an Assist after all this I'll admit I'll be really sad.
Don’t feel sad how bout looking at the spread sheet that can make you a little better.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah, D2 is a lot of people's favourite too. Honestly there's no bad choices for favourites. Also the surfer girl (Angie) has one of my favourite designs in the series and some of my favourite sprites. She's great. I really like the whole V3 cast (Yay slightly off topic sub-conversation in the Shantae thread. Well I'm keeping the other half of what I'm saying on topic, so it's fiiiine)

Anyway, I don't think less newcomers hurts her chances, at least it doesn't to me. In the end it is and always has been Sakurai's choice of characters, so she has the same chance that she always did. Plus DLC is a thing, although having her in at the base game would be cool. (They could do an expansion pass thing or something) 4-5 characters still seems about right to me, too. Basically my hope is at the same level it has been! Yeah!
Hard for anyone to top Chiaki as best girl in most games I find haha. I was a little sad the anime toned down a lot of Ibuki's quirks I thought.

I suppose. I mean I still feel like we will get a retro and a pokemon, and 2 echos to balance that out, but then how many more after that? Geno almost seems like a lock, and an echo with that. 1 more newcomer and 1 more echo as well? I am really hoping no steve, and Shantae gets that last place, but man Isaac fans will be pissed and feel like they didn't get any rep once again. And what about Rhythm Heaven? A rep was planned for the last game, and I would think Sakurai would bring one in this time(as my signiture shows when it decides to actually load, Rhythm girl is my want for that)

Its hard for me to say no to any of my wanted characters.

Hollywoodrok12

Smash Lord
... I didn't think we had any DR fans here... I'm sorry.

I wonder if this will affect Shantae's chances of making the base roster:

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/2...ltimate-character-announcements-to-slow-down/
That's actually VERY concerning, because it means we'll get less than one newcomer a month.... which falls perfectly in line with... *shudders* that one theory....

D

Deleted member

That's actually VERY concerning, because it means we'll get less than one newcomer a month.... which falls perfectly in line with... *shudders* that one theory....

Don’t you even think about it

Also I can’t believe all of you are losing hope all because of one tweet

Last edited by a moderator:

Tetiro

Smash Ace

I wouldn't worry about anything right now. Regardless of Shantae being in the base game or not she still has a great chance. All this does is seal the fates of many characters being base game. Instead it pushes them to DLC

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
Hard for anyone to top Chiaki as best girl in most games I find haha. I was a little sad the anime toned down a lot of Ibuki's quirks I thought.

I suppose. I mean I still feel like we will get a retro and a pokemon, and 2 echos to balance that out, but then how many more after that? Geno almost seems like a lock, and an echo with that. 1 more newcomer and 1 more echo as well? I am really hoping no steve, and Shantae gets that last place, but man Isaac fans will be pissed and feel like they didn't get any rep once again. And what about Rhythm Heaven? A rep was planned for the last game, and I would think Sakurai would bring one in this time(as my signiture shows when it decides to actually load, Rhythm girl is my want for that)

Its hard for me to say no to any of my wanted characters.
Chiaki is pretty great, but I always find myself going towards Akane.

As long as Simon didn't take up the "retro" spot, I'd agree with this. I do think Incineroar is pretty likely, as somewhat boring as that'd be, and I think Geno is pretty likely. After that? Dunno. Shantae's circumstantial evidence is strong, but if she is in, I don't expect her until the very last character reveal.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
There's always DLC if she's not in the base roster or an AT, which is what I've been saying all along.

Having her as DLC would be a good way for them to test the waters for other indie and smaller third party characters in the future.

I do think she will be in the game in some form or another. There's been too many hints for this to amount to nothing.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Chiaki is pretty great, but I always find myself going towards Akane.

As long as Simon didn't take up the "retro" spot, I'd agree with this. I do think Incineroar is pretty likely, as somewhat boring as that'd be, and I think Geno is pretty likely. After that? Dunno. Shantae's circumstantial evidence is strong, but if she is in, I don't expect her until the very last character reveal.
Akane was pretty cool. Honestly the whole cast was great in D2, really no one I disliked... well HOPE guy got a bit annoying, but that was his thing. D1 had some pretty unlikeable characters, like Kagakure. Never liked him. And also Togami, but again that was kinda his point.

I don't think Sakurai would make a third party the retro character. Retro I assume/feel would be an old nintendo property forgotten through the ages. Like my sig shows(if it decides to show... why does sometimes a signiture on this site shows up and other times it doesn't?) I feel Lip, Ayumi, Mach Rider, and Donbe and Hikari seem like the more likely ones.

And I could see Shantae and the retro being the last unique fighters maybe? that or Geno and the retro, with Shantae and the pokemon revealed beforehand. Plus the echos of course.

I feel still 8-12 feels right. 8 the lowest. That ends us on 80 in the base game, a good number. Uniques would be a pokemon, a retro, Geno, and Shantae(sorry Rhythm Girl :_( ) Echos Would be Ken, Shadow, Dixie, and Medusa.

EDIT: You know... I could see Sakurai or Square making Geno(or any Square rep like dragon quest) as one of the first DLC characters? You could sell that well moreso then a Rhythm Heaven character. Plus I am still a bit sold on my theory that we are getting 3 more unique music icons on the music menu. Shantae, Minecraft stage, and Rhythm Heaven would fit that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Why are people taking this tweet as a bad thing when it’s already a good thing?

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice
Why are people taking this tweet as a bad thing when it’s already a good thing?
Are they taking it as bad? It's either a tease (the timing lines up to when a Western Dub for a Japanese game would be recording) or just her doing another job. Either way, it doesn't *hurt* Shantae's chances.

Stephano

Smash Journeyman
This could mean two things.

1) Fewer Newcomers are released
Or
2) Character Blog Posts Announcements are slowing down.

Either way, its gonna be a PAINFUL October...
December won't come soon enough. To be honest, I'm not too excited about the game. I was not a fan of Sm4sh. I didn't like ledge trumping, how slow the game was, no advance tech skill from Melee, and of course Ganondorf Bottom tier (RIP sweet prince). I'm a Project M person all the way. The only thing that is giving me hope for this game is Ganondorf's sword and running animation and the POSSIBILITY that my 3rd favorite video game character will be in smash. Most likely the only way I'll buy this game will be because of her...

D

Deleted member

Are they taking it as bad? It's either a tease (the timing lines up to when a Western Dub for a Japanese game would be recording) or just her doing another job. Either way, it doesn't *hurt* Shantae's chances.
It dose line up as well she’s doing this similar to shulks va

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Why do people stick to that pigeonholing?
There is no such thing as a "Newcomer Category" or whatever, dictating there can only be one character of a certain category...

I said it once and I'll say it again.
There is only one thing that determines what newcomers make it in: Masahiro Sakurai
He alone has a say in what works and what doesn't.

Whatever "rules" and barriers people keep making up, will not have any say on what will be in the game.
It's just us making up rubbish and believing it for some reason...

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
There is no such thing as a "Newcomer Category" or whatever, dictating there can only be one character of a certain category...

There is only one thing that determines what newcomers make it in: Masahiro Sakurai

Whatever "rules" and barriers people keep making up, will not have any say on what will be in the game.
And thats the thing. I'm not saying its a rule, but so far Sakurai himself seems to like to put in a retro character. He's done it every game, so he may want to do it again this time. I think its a safe bet that Sakurai wants to put a retro in.

And if he doesn't, then he doesn't.

DoctorFate

Smash Apprentice

It's really just taking trends that Sakurai has exhibited in the past and trying to tie them to Ultimate's character selection philosophy. You're right, we have no way of knowing who he'll pick and for what reasons. But we do have the release cycle of the previous Smash games to try and extrapolate some ideas.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
D

Deleted member

This could mean two things.

1) Fewer Newcomers are released
Or
2) Character Blog Posts Announcements are slowing down.

Either way, its gonna be a PAINFUL October...
2) because there going too fast with newcomers we’ll get a direct in October you’ll see

Top Bottom