• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
And past 250 pages. not bad.

I'm telling you for Shantae I've been at 50/50 (for playable) for a while now, and it still hasn't changed. It's all about seeing the directs now and hoping she's in it, that the 'evidence' we found actually does hold up or not. ..'Not' being in games is still guessing to a good degree, so I just take the iffyness but combined with everything else, she has a solid chance, it's either it or not.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Here's an interesting little watch, if you're interested. It's another guy speculating on Shantae's chances and actually does factor in WF's uncharacteristic silence.
Not to bring the wrath of BillyBo on us, but yeah, this guy may be a "follow the leader" guy of BillyBo XD, down to the RTC-like rating systems, though with a DLC rating as well as the normal Chance/Wants ratings.

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
And past 250 pages. not bad.

I'm telling you for Shantae I've been at 50/50 (for playable) for a while now, and it still hasn't changed. It's all about seeing the directs now and hoping she's in it, that the 'evidence' we found actually does hold up or not. ..'Not' being in games is still guessing to a good degree, so I just take the iffyness but combined with everything else, she has a solid chance, it's either it or not.
I want to say something about people saying "If she's an AT why wasnt she shown alongside Shovel Knight?"

THe thing is in Japan, there isn't really a distinction between indies and anything not Triple A. You're either an AAA series/title or you're not over there. Now you could argue that since it was being shown to a g lobal auidence that if SHantae WAS an AT it'd make sense to show her alongside a fellow popular and highly regarded indie character like Shivel Knight but I think that IF SHantae is an AT, her being shown seperately from Shovel Knight would make sense.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
This Leak is Pretty Interesting

It doesn't have Shantae in it, but I really want you guys to take a look at the last name of the newcomers Anon "leaks".

Stanley. Stanley the Bugman.

Anon says that he has video of the guy (Press X to Doubt) but its the character.

Who is Stanley? Well, Stanley was created for ONE game. For Donkey Kong. And funny enough, he's considered Nintendo's worst, if not laughably forgotten Mascot. He's a retro character that has been the butt of the joke. And in the cartoons, has been seen to be incredibily wimpy and forced to live under Mario's shadow.

He has made references, as he appeared in Super Smash Bros. Melee as a trophy, Playable in Donkey Kong 3, and a couple of WarioWare games.

800px-StanleyArt2.png

Thought it would be interesting to share.

Last edited:

KingofUSA85

Smash Journeyman

It doesn't have Shantae in it, but I really want you guys to take a look at the last name of the newcomers Anon "leaks".

Anon says that he has video of the guy (Press X to Doubt) but its the character.

Who is Stanley? Well, Stanley was created for ONE game. For Donkey Kong. And funny enough, he's considered Nintendo's worst, if not laughably forgotten Mascot. He's a retro character that has been the butt of the joke. And in the cartoons, has been seen to be incredibily wimpy and forced to live under Mario's shadow.

He has made references, as he appeared in Super Smash Bros. Melee as a trophy, Playable in Donkey Kong 3, and a couple of WarioWare games.

Stanley would be a horrible choice for a Retro rep. If they are going to include a Retro rep the best pick would be Ayumi Tachibana.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Meanwhile, I’m hoping the Volleyball player (from the NES hit Volleyball) (and Shantae of course) ends up playable by some miracle.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I want to say something about people saying "If she's an AT why wasnt she shown alongside Shovel Knight?"

THe thing is in Japan, there isn't really a distinction between indies and anything not Triple A. You're either an AAA series/title or you're not over there. Now you could argue that since it was being shown to a g lobal auidence that if SHantae WAS an AT it'd make sense to show her alongside a fellow popular and highly regarded indie character like Shivel Knight but I think that IF SHantae is an AT, her being shown seperately from Shovel Knight would make sense.
I haven't really talked much on that, but I think it'd still more likely be shown alongside shovel knight. Not necessarily tho, so yeah it's definitely possible she could still be shown later. I wouldn't put too much into it meaning she's playable, but I still think it's a small little boost for her, personally.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Stanley would be a horrible choice for a Retro rep. If they are going to include a Retro rep the best pick would be Ayumi Tachibana.
All his attacks are just him spraying bugs or unleashing bees from his hands, like the Bug Plasmid from Bioshock.
That and all the spray shots mysteriously home in onto Donkey Kong's butt. Because reasons.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Meanwhile, I’m hoping the Volleyball player (from the NES hit Volleyball) (and Shantae of course) ends up playable by some miracle.
All his attacks are just him spraying bugs or unleashing bees from his hands, like the Bug Plasmid from Bioshock.
That and all the spray shots mysteriously home in onto Donkey Kong's butt. Because reasons.
Keep in mind of Duck Hunt. He had nothing to go off of. I actually wouldn't mind the guy. Also, I updated my edit, so you can take a look at him if you want.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Keep in mind of Duck Hunt. He had nothing to go off of. I actually wouldn't mind the guy. Also, I updated my edit, so you can take a look at him if you want.
Though I think that Duck Hunt Dog is basically THE representation of the NES in its infancy, so his merits are second to only Mario, ROB, and Mr. Game and Watch. However, you are still right on the nose, I was just trying to think of a hilarious moveset that Stanley would theoretically have, if he was playable.

NukeA6

Smash Master
And I thought Luigi had it bad in the N64 era and Mario RPG.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Though I think that Duck Hunt Dog is basically THE representation of the NES in its infancy, so his merits are second to only Mario, ROB, and Mr. Game and Watch. However, you are still right on the nose, I was just trying to think of a hilarious moveset that Stanley would theoretically have, if he was playable.
That could be interesting!

Like Stanley's neutral is Mr G&W, but slower and more powerful.
His Side Specials are a "puff", where if you're on the outer end of the smoke, its less damage and less knockback, but if you're in the right range, its LOTS of damage and knock back
His down, side, and up tilts can be a sweep witb his bug spray. His neutral special can be a swarm of bugs that do little damage and random acts of flinching. Moves in a straight line, and if it attaches to the opponent, it swarms them for a small period of time.

I suddenly love Stanley.

And I thought Luigi had it bad in the N64 era and Mario RPG.
Luigi had it good. Poor Stanley...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Still it is fake due to skull kid

ChirimoyaX

Smash Rookie
Of course. Thought it would be interesting to share, though. I suddenly want this guy.
How about we start the Stanley Bandwagon right now? That would be a bizarre turn of events for the Shantae Support Thread :laugh:

Anyway, never stop supporting, people!!!:estatic: Keep it fun and keep it healthy ;)
#Shantae4Smash
#SupportYourTownGenie

EDIT: I can finally post images! Yay!
shantaepixelated.jpg

Last edited:

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
I like to imagine this video as an accurate representation of what leaks do to the speculation side of Smash:

In this case:

Uncle Blobb = Vergeben / Fake leaks
People on the "train ride" = Smash speculators
The Carnival = Smash Ultimate
The 3 characters who actually ride the rides = people not swayed by leaks

(I'm bored, pls don't sue I just wanna ****post, plus this video is meme-worthy IMO)

Last edited:

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad the thread is back in good spirits again.

Also now that you've mentioned him, I think a Stanley AT would be funny. Like he just chases you around and pushes you with his spray thingy, like a walking Gust Bellows but only slightly annoying.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well guys: while I won't be adding new supporters tonight, anybody who wishes to be apart of the supporter list may quote me or tag me: I will get them added as soon as I am able to and not swarmed with work and stuff. This includes anyone I may of missed recently.

Also, 10,000 replies is honestly awesome, especially after 250 pages. Just goes to show how much this thread has grown since August, huh?

Either way, see you guys at another point in time!

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Another reason why wayforwards nda/ncc is very effective because it would ruin the surprise! Wise choice of Nintendo to scram off leakers by giving them false info.
Could they be so blind that they can't actually read some colder reads like we could?
Or are we the blind ones because we do read all these cold reads?
It's basically our equivalent of the Zen Riddles.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord

THe thing is in Japan, there isn't really a distinction between indies and anything not Triple A. You're either an AAA series/title or you're not over there. Now you could argue that since it was being shown to a g lobal auidence that if Shantae WAS an AT it'd make sense to show her alongside a fellow popular and highly regarded indie character like Shivel Knight but I think that IF Shantae is an AT, her being shown seperately from Shovel Knight would make sense.
The problem with that tho, is that Shovel Knight was included almost certainly because of presence of the Ballot. His game did not do well in Japan at all, so we can assume most of the Ballot support he got was western. And back then western ballot voters all held the two as very close rivals.

So if they were paying enough attention to western votes to decide that he should be included, then they were probably aware fo the rivalry the fans had imposed upon him and Shantae. So, knowing of that rivalry, were both in the game to the same capacity it would make sense to show them off either together or one after the other. By showing one and not the other, but still having the other be an assist trophy it makes it seem like one of the rivals "won" with fans either saying SK won because he is in and she isn't or Shantae fans saying she won because SK is an Assist and she still has a chance.

Now, of course Nintendo doesn't have to be nice and stop speculation in it's tracks, but then generally like to be fair about this kind of stuff considering how most of the highly requested characters that were assist trophies got confirmed as such early on (Waluigi, Takamaru, Lynn, Ashely, Krystal)

D

Deleted member

Could they be so blind that they can't actually read some colder reads like we could?
Or are we the blind ones because we do read all these cold reads?
It's basically our equivalent of the Zen Riddles.
What do you mean?

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
10,000 replies is ****ing nuts. Especially since I've been active in this thread since late March/early April.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
So how are things going?

Let's see what is next on the Alt artwork...Oh I know Meta Ridley:

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Character Art Meta Ridley.jpg

Man does this guy look even more menacing.

Anyway for Shantae's chances in Smash, I think it best to say if she had zero chance of being a playable fighter than WF would not be as silent as they are and she would have appeared in Blade Strangers, Indie Pogo or Rival of Aether.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
For the reveal, if Jammies means anything at all regarding Smash, it'll most likely start with Shantae asleep. On Risky's ship. What the latter will be doing is up for debate.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Well, I sure am glad that I never saw Saturday Supercade…:mad:

That being said, there`s worse picks for retro characters. *points to Urban Champion* He'd be ideal to represent the older days of Donkey Kong without resorting to the paradox of having DK Jr.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
The other part is just their complete and udder silence. No new info yet. Hopefully SoonTM
Yeah and they have been silent on that front for YEARS which has to be tough on them.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well guys: while I won't be adding new supporters tonight, anybody who wishes to be apart of the supporter list may quote me or tag me: I will get them added as soon as I am able to and not swarmed with work and stuff. This includes anyone I may of missed recently.

Also, 10,000 replies is honestly awesome, especially after 250 pages. Just goes to show how much this thread has grown since August, huh?

Either way, see you guys at another point in time!
This is the 4th time I asked, but can you please put me on the support list?

Top Bottom