• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staarih

Smash Master
Shantae also makes an appearance in Blaster Master Zero - while I haven't played the game, it does have one of my all time favorite artworks of Shantae:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
^ Yeah, I'm checking out the list of games she makes guest appearances in.

I definitely like the look of Indivisible. Wish I would have known about it sooner, I definitely would have pledged money towards it.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Since we're showing Google analytics, Here's some JP analytics Shantae (Red) vs Shovel Knight (Blue)

Granted, neither of them hold a candle to something Like Touhou in Japan, but It's just a nice comparison to her biggest competition as it were.
This is great! Good find!!!!

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Great news! The physical rewards for the HGH Kickstarter are about to be shipped out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/posts/2237757

I'll make sure to take pictures of the rewards when they arrive and post them here.~
Oh yeah I forgot about that, I think I'm supposed to get a coin?

By the way everyone have we discussed Shantae's moveset under the circumstances that, what if they just don't want to use any of Pirate Curse's moveset on the grounds it doesn't represent her long term character?

I was thinking about her inclusion in Blaster Master Zero and noticed how none of her moves seem to reference Pirate Curse's gameplay abilities. And thinking it through it does make sense, as Shantae's "core" aesthetic revolves around the transforming into different animals and magic. But it made me wonder if a similar mindset may also apply to her moveset if she's included in Smash. As fun as Pirate Curse was it was a deviation from the core Shantae gameplay experience, and one they didn't go back to in the latest game.

Do I THINK Sakurai is one to do that? Not truthfully, as he's one to still keep the FLUDD around for Mario's special. But the possibility is still there. What do you guys think of this potential mindset if Shantae gets made?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
A move or two could be a token reference to Pirate's Curse. For comparison's sake, Shantae's spiritual equivalent adventurer Wario frequently had changes in his gameplay on the Wario Land/World series, and the only moves that were kept in Smash are his Shoulder Bash and Wild Swing-Ding! His shtick is that he doesn't necessarily rely on a traditional set of moves, so he does what he wants (which is somewhat reflected in Smash).

The pirate outfit definitely needs to be in as an alt costume, though (alongside the HGH ones, if it's even possible).

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Shantae has such a massive movepool that you could honestly exclude all of Pirate's Curse and still have too many powers to choose from. So yeah, I think they should go for just a pure Shantae.

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps I'm biased because I think her moveset in Pirate's Curse (especially the cannon) is one of the best feeling mobility abilities I've played in a game for a long long time skjdfhksjfhsfkj

Speaking of moves, have we discussed what we think her final smash would be? This game has a much higher emphasis on big cinematic or one shot final smashes, what would Shantae's be? My personal bet is something like Risky Boots crashing her ship trying to take Shantae out, but Shantae of course being too experienced with her and effortlessly getting out of the way.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Speaking of moves, have we discussed what we think her final smash would be? This game has a much higher emphasis on big cinematic or one shot final smashes, what would Shantae's be? My personal bet is something like Risky Boots crashing her ship trying to take Shantae out, but Shantae of course being too experienced with her and effortlessly getting out of the way.
I've had trouble for a while settling on a Final Smash for her, and I had to omit some ideas because of the changes made in this game (anything I had involving the dance parlor minigame from the GBC original was tossed considering DK's Final Smash has been changed. As of right now, here's what I settled on for her in this game (slight spoilers for Pirate Queen's Quest):

Shantae would transform into the mermaid to trap her opponents in bubbles which would gather into one, then all her main transformations from HGH (Mermaid, Crab, Bat, Mouse, Spider, Harpy, Monkey, and Tinkerbat) fly back and forth across the screen to attack the captured opponents, and finally she’d fly up off-screen to smash the opponents to the ground with the giant elephant and send them flying. (inspired by several attacks Shantae uses for her boss battle in Pirate Queen’s Quest)

Though an idea I had that involved Risky could be her jumping onto the stage and Shantae duking it out with her with the captured opponents caught in the middle, it'd be like Robin's in Smash 4

Shantae has such a massive movepool that you could honestly exclude all of Pirate's Curse and still have too many powers to choose from. So yeah, I think they should go for just a pure Shantae.
That's kinda the approach I took with for my moveset ideas (though if they'd kept the Custom Moves idea, I think some of the Pirate Gear could've been incorporated there), let me know if you or anyone else has any feedback

Neutral Attack: whips her hair to attack up to 3-times in succession (Both the down tilt and neutral aerial also use the hair whip)
Dash Attack: Slides forward with her feet up (Rottytops race from GBC game)
Forward Tilt: Power Kick from Pirate’s Curse
Up Tilt: Flicks her hair forward similar to Greninja's tongue

Forward Smash: Elbow dash from the first Shantae game, propels her forward a bit
Down Smash: Puts her hands together and shakes her hips forward then backward (uses the dance mapped to the A button in the first game/elephant dance from Risky’s Revenge)
Up Smash: 2-hit spin kick from the first Shantae game

Forward Aerial: Based off her twirl attack from the first game, she spins around ballerina style with her hair hitting opponents as she twirls around.
Back Aerial: Thrusts her hip back similar to Peach
Up Aerial: In a pose similar to her Half-Genie Hero artwork, she thrusts her hand upward creates a small flame that hits multiple times
Down Aerial: The drill attack from the first game, similar to Sonic’s Down air, but can hit an opponent more than once.

Grab: (maybe her hair could be used to extend the reach of her grab?) otherwise just a standard grab and pummel with her knee
Forward Throw: She bumps her opponent with her hip.
Back Throw: Backflips and throws the enemy into the ground, continuing her momentum until she lands back on the ground (inspired by her Recover animation from Pirate’s Curse)
Down Throw: She throws her opponent to the ground and pulls out a Storm Puff to zap them with
Up throw: Throws her opponent up and hits them with a single fireball

Neutral Special: Transformation Dance, similar to Half-Genie Hero, Shantae dances and activates a selection of transformations around her and must select a direction to transform similar to Shulk’s new Monado Arts activation (lasts for 10 sec., shield and B to cancel out) Each Transformation would have one attack and one special attack (I’ve been pondering the possibility to have all her specials tied to a magic meter)

Forward-Monkey (Low Damage, High Jump, Wall Climb)
Attack: Monkey Claw (overhead slash, easily combo with it)
Special: Monkey Bullet (weak but fast dash, slightly slower than Fox Illusion)

Down-Elephant (High Damage, Low Speed)
Attack: Elephant Dash (slow but powerful dash attack)
Special: Elephant Stomp (high knockback)

Back-Spider (double jump allows her to use webbing to pull herself up if a surface is above)
Attack: Spider Leg (performs an uppercut with her frontal leg similar to the Bonelegs enemy in HGH)
Special: Spider Venom (continuously deals damage similar to flowers)

Up-Harpy (Less Traction, Multiple Jumps)
Attack: Harpy Talon (overhead slash, potential meteor smash?)
Special: Harpy Feather (low damage, but can fire multiple at a time)

Side Special: Triple Fireball-shoots out three fire balls-one straight forward, one angled upward, and one angled down, probably could cover half the length of Final Destination in distance

Up Special: Storm Puff-uses the puff to float upwards a bit before letting go, the puff will send thunder down upon release and disappear after

Down Special: Pike Ball-similar to Mega Man’s Leaf Shield, one Pike Ball revolves around Shantae. It lasts a bit longer but can’t be thrown.

Her taunts would consist of some of the belly dances from the GBA game, specifically the ones mapped to the D-Pad (potential easter egg could have you transform to a Tinkerbat for a moment when you put in the button combination for that dance)

Idle Animations:
-Straightening out her hair like in Pirate’s Curse
-Imitates Rottytops’s idle stance for a bit

On-screen Entrance: Shantae flies in on a magic carpet (Half-Genie Hero for that idea) and says "Ret-2-Go!"

Victory Animations:
-Spinning around in midair like she does when she completes a stage from her games
-Her flying in her monkey form to grab a gem, then transforming back to perform a dance (like in Super Shantae NAB)
-Landing from a jump and performing her Stage Clear pose from HGH

Other Details:
-She has the ability to crawl.
-Her default idle stance would be her full health dancing animation in Pirate’s Curse and Half Genie Hero, but it'd change depending on the damage she's taken like in those two games.
-Her Screen KO animation would resemble the one used in the Officer costume

Last edited:

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
If you want to be boring about it, Shantae has an explosion dance in HGH.

But I'm all for it being something wacky and creative.~

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
For a Final Smash I would use the P.O.O.P T.O.O.T vessel and having it shoot all weapons on to the stage dealing massive damage.

A good Risky cameo should be okay.

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
I think Shantae is perfect as the go-to indie rep for smash bros, tons of moveset potential, big history with nintendo, great character in general, im all in for her :3

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
So I was feeling bored, and decided to look in to how many Nindies Showcases Nintendo has done, Turns out its only 3,
Feb 28, 2017
Aug 30, 2017
Mar 20, 2018
But there is a potential pattern forming. If they continue with the 2 NIndies per year approx. 6 months apart we are due for one September-ish. A Nindies Showcase would be a fantastic platform to announce an indie character for smash

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I noticed this thread has been quiet for a while, maybe we could discuss more ideas for Shantae's representation in Smash. I've shared my moveset ideas for her above, so I'd like to share what I want to see for her stage and it's music.

What I had in mind was a travelling stage similar to 3D Land. It'd be based off the Burning Town sequence from the first game and Main Street from Half Genie Hero. Starting out at the lighthouse you cross the bridge travel through Scuttle Town as Risky’s ship fires upon the stage in the background (some of the bridge would collapse when hit by the cannonballs) and some Tinkerbats throw torches onto the stage. The stage stops moving at a building that has platforms popping in and out of the background. The second part goes through an on-fire section of Scuttle Town then stops again once you get on Risky's ship as it travels back around to the lighthouse and restart the cycle. Risky will be hanging out on the ship firing cannonballs across the stage like the battle in the first game, but a barrel of TNT will appear below her and attacking it would send her and any opponents in range flying. The Battlefield and Final Destination versions would be the island with the lighthouse.

Stage Music:
Dance Through the Danger (Half-Genie Hero)
We Love Burning Town (Pirate's Curse)
Neo Burning Town (Half-Genie Hero)
Boss Battle (Pirate's Curse)
Boss Battle (Half-Genie Hero)
Scuttle Town (Pirate's Curse)
She's Got Moves! (Risky's Revenge)
Trip Through Sequin Land (Pirate's Curse)
Barrel-O-Mermaids (Half-Genie Hero)

EDIT: Back when I wanted to see Shantae in Smash 4, this was an idea I had for a 3DS stage for her

6C39B93A-59CC-4652-A52A-7A47A5F5F8F0.png

This is the Pirate’s Curse version of the Spittle Maze from the GBC game, I always thought this section of the maze would be a great layout for a Smash stage.

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Where should one start in the Shantae franchise? I'm very interested in the character, she seems extremely versatile (mind-boggling moveset potential) and I'm a huge fan of platformers, bonus if they're underground or otherwise underappreciated. We have every console in the current generation available under our roof, as well as my 3DS, so console availability isn't an issue. What's the perfect Shantae game for newcomers?

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Where should one start in the Shantae franchise? I'm very interested in the character, she seems extremely versatile (mind-boggling moveset potential) and I'm a huge fan of platformers, bonus if they're underground or otherwise underappreciated. We have every console in the current generation available under our roof, as well as my 3DS, so console availability isn't an issue. What's the perfect Shantae game for newcomers?
I haven't played the original or Risky's Revenge, but the two most recent games are both good to start on. The series itself feels more episodic in nature rather than following a strict storyline. The only real exception to that is from Risky's Revenge to Pirate's curse, but I wouldn't say it's necessary to enjoy Pirate's curse. I'd say take your pick between Pirate's Curse and Half Genie Hero.

Staarih

Smash Master
Where should one start in the Shantae franchise?
The games are all pretty solid, so I think you could pick any of them and it’d be a good first game. Pirate’s Curse has had the best reception though, and it’s the one I personally began with as well. It’s kind of an ”odd one out” though as Shantae doesn’t use her magic transformations, but pirate gear. After Pirate’s Curse I played Risky’s Revenge which runs as good as Pirate’s Curse imo and has the transformations - as does the latest game Half Genie Hero. Then there’s the original Game Boy game which is worth a try, even if I did find it a bit clumsy after playing some of the recent games. Anyway, pick whichever interests you and I’m sure you’ll love it!

As for stage ideas, I think a street portion of Scuttle Town could work, with rooftops and little market stands as platforms (kind of like the ”hub world” on HGH). It could be bombed by Risky from time to time when the visual could change for a more dark scene (think Neo Burning Town) and then turn back to normal and cycle through this phase gradually. Shantae’s lighthouse could be seen in the distance or something, as it is pretty iconic.

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
They're all solid games, but I'd honestly start with Risky's Revenge, better controls and difficulty curve than the first game, though there are some elements that may be a bit frustrating like the map system and it's the shortest of the games. If you decide to go thought Pirate's Curse first, at the very least watch a playthough of that game just so you understand what's going on better.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I would say start with Risky's Revenge as well. Especially if you can't find the original game.

Man I can't wait for the next Direct to show us some more characters. Let's see if that "leak" list is as accurate as they say.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Welp, the physical rewards came in but I can't seem to upload the images directly to this site (they're apparently too big), so I'm using a web service and linking to them. This is the first time I've used this service so I'm not sure if it'll actually work or not.

https://ibb.co/iXyrB8
https://ibb.co/iVQGdo
https://ibb.co/hKjL4T
https://ibb.co/kJWNJo

Interestingly, the lenticular wall poster is like those pictures where if you move them around, they move around too. And for those curious, the backer exclusive art book contains art specifically from the stretch goals parts of the games as well as the art that backers were allowed to vote on (such as enemy designs and such). And the backer exclusive soundtrack contains music from stretch goal material (like the Costume Pack).

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hey guys: please accept my apologies for being so inactive lately. Hopefully, everyone has been doing well lately as we approach the end of July.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Count me in as a Shantae supporter too!
Have been quietly supporting her for a very long time and she's pretty much the only one I really desire to see in Smash. Besides her I just prefer to see characters with creative and unique fighting styles.

My dear sweet god! Shantae games and Blaster Master are my favorite games and I thought I was blessed with the Shantae DLC in Blaster Master Zero and now they throw this at me? Good luck trying to peel me away from this game for a while...

I'm also really hoping those statues of Shantae and Rotty Tops will be available in Europe. Because I really want to add those to my collection.

Staarih

Smash Master
Just when I thought I was done with the game... but nope! Unexpected but I'll totally take it, looks super fun and adorable, and the more the merrier! The Kickstarter seems to be coming to an end, wonder if they've been brainstorming new ideas for new games already...

I'm also really hoping those statues of Shantae and Rotty Tops will be available in Europe. Because I really want to add those to my collection.
The Charagumin ones? They do look really nice. A while back WayForward was asking who we'd like to see getting one next. I don't think any results are in but looks like there's a third one coming to join Shantae and Rottytops haha!

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I am here to voice my support! Voted for her during the Smash ballot actually.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
View attachment 155098
Very cute new mode indeed lol. Starting now.

Clear animation for Jammies Mode!!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1024382625828335616
It really warms my heart when game developers get the chance to do stuff like this for their fans no matter how small it may seem

Geez, imagine if that was one of Shantae's victory animations for Smash. Also why do you tease me like this Wayfoward? I want all of those plushes to real! As well as one of Shantae and of her monkey form.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
That free update as so nice of them, it gets me thinking of how should have Shantae in her Jammies as a costume in Smash, so we can sleep on the competition:)

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Got to play Jammies Mode yesterday. It was a fun final update for the game.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just when I thought I was done with the game... but nope! Unexpected but I'll totally take it, looks super fun and adorable, and the more the merrier! The Kickstarter seems to be coming to an end, wonder if they've been brainstorming new ideas for new games already...

The Charagumin ones? They do look really nice. A while back WayForward was asking who we'd like to see getting one next. I don't think any results are in but looks like there's a third one coming to join Shantae and Rottytops haha!
I recall that one buyer complained about having to paint the Shantae one (while obviously never having heard of how Japanese model kits tend to require that).

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So a weird thought I had after seeing the win screen variants for this mode is that I could totally see Shantae’s friends wearing the other pajamas she had, like they’d be spares in case they didn’t bring any pajamas to her party.

This one I think fits Rottytops pretty well:
80CCCBAF-2269-4075-BB70-6C7C15FDD9EF.png

I could see Sky wearing these ones:
528FE5DD-5B1D-41C3-AC70-D342AB5C8D6B.png

And yes, for some reason I can see Bolo wearing this:
BA83C437-C795-4F44-B2FE-3B34C41C61E6.png

(I dunno if it’s because I’ve been watching some RWBY lately and I see some similarities between Bolo and Jaune and these remind me of his pajamas) All I know is once I get my Cintiq up and running it’s on my fanart list.

That free update as so nice of them, it gets me thinking of how should have Shantae in her Jammies as a costume in Smash, so we can sleep on the competition:)
I’ve thought about that idea too, and it’d be even more fitting after we got this mode, I think it could happen though at the least she’d need to have her hair still in a ponytail so she can attack with it

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I almost forgot about indivisible. That should be worth checking out.

Japan likes cute girls, so I say shantae has a chance :)
Maybe Ashley has more of a chance, dunno, but she's cool too.

Staarih

Smash Master
I just 100% completed Jammies Mode, so cool of WayForward to give us a bonus like that. Can't wait for any future Shantae projects.

Also, a Smash Direct is scheduled for Wednesday. You think Shantae could be shown there?
While I'd personally love for that to happen, I feel like they wanna show the "big guns" in Directs like this and I'm not sure if Shantae fits into that just yet. I feel like a Shantae reveal works better as just an lowkey extra thing a in a general Direct or just a separate video stream, or even a secret character. But we'll see!

Top Bottom