• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
I just 100% completed Jammies Mode, so cool of WayForward to give us a bonus like that. Can't wait for any future Shantae projects.

Also, a Smash Direct is scheduled for Wednesday. You think Shantae could be shown there?
While I'd personally love for that to happen, I feel like they wanna show the "big guns" in Directs like this and I'm not sure if Shantae fits into that just yet. I feel like a Shantae reveal works better as just an lowkey extra thing a in a general Direct or just a separate video stream, or even a secret character. But we'll see!
Eh, while I would LOVE to see Shantae get announced in the Smash Direct 2 days from now, the likelihood her getting announced to be added in the base roster at all is pretty damn slim. If I end up being wrong, then let's go!

But as DLC, she most certainly gotta fair chance of showing up as such.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Eh, while I would LOVE to see Shantae get announced in the Smash Direct 2 days from now, the likelihood her getting announced to be added in the base roster at all is pretty damn slim. If I end up being wrong, then let's go!

But as DLC, she most certainly gotta fair chance of showing up as such.
Yeah honestly, if her moveset resembles anything like the numerous ideas we’ve posted, her being a DLC character would give the Smash devs the amount of time and input necessary to make sure she’s the best she can be and to promote her well.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
This direct doesn't seem to interfere with of a potential "Nindies Presentation" that if the potential pattern persists would be in September, as this would be the best time to announce a Indie Character for smash.

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Well I sure have been gone for a while...

In honor of the Smash Direct happening in just under eight hours, here is the most far-fetched, wishful-thinking conspiracy theory that Shantae is going to be announced for Smash. Break out your tin foil hats because this one is a bit of a leap.

WayForward randomly dropped the Jammies Mode DLC for Half Genie Hero just a few days ago. Incidentally, that's also just a few days before the Smash Direct. Unlike previous DLC campaigns, this one was not a backer goal, it had no prior announcement, and they gave it to us for free, as a "thank you" to all their backers and fans.

Since it was free and all, I decided to play through Jammies Mode the other day on a whim. Here's a playthrough on YouTube if you want to check some of the details I reference yourself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdRatD0NLgs

The plot of Jammies Mode is that Shantae is organizing the "ULTIMATE SLEEPOVER PARTY", as thanks to everyone who helped her through her recent adventures. And yes, she consistently refers to it that way, all caps and everything. What makes it the "ultimate" sleepover party? Everyone is invited. Friends and foes alike. So, she goes through all of the levels delivering invitations to everyone.

This paragraph contains spoilers for the ending of Jammies Mode (as if there is really much of a plot to spoil) After Shantae finishes inviting everyone, she has an extended dialogue with Uncle Mimic. At one point he just says, "...". Shantae asks him, what is it? Oh, nothing, he replies. He's just very proud of her. Towards the end of the conversation, Uncle Mimic warns her that she should make sure she is well-rested for tomorrow. She asks why, what's happening tomorrow? To which Uncle Mimic simply replies, who knows? Every day is a new adventure.

Now, look at all of that and tell me you don't see the parallels. An "Ultimate" party, which is special because everyone is invited? Sound familiar? Not to mention Shantae delivers invitations to all the characters, just as the characters in Smash famously receive invitations to join. And in her conversation with Uncle Mimic, it really sounds to me like he knows about something Shantae doesn't, which he is very proud of her for, but which he wants to make sure she is rested for and ready for.

What if the Jammies Mode DLC is WayForward's way of celebrating Shantae's inclusion in Smash? The timing certainly fits, and the parallels between this campaign and Smash Ultimate are exactly the sort of subtle hints you would expect WF to put in if this were the case - anything more would be a problem with their NDA. And it would explain why this DLC doesn't fit the pattern of their other Half Genie Hero DLC.

Now, this could all just be coincidence..... I guess.... buuuut, you gotta admit, it's a little fishy, right? Right????

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Now, look at all of that and tell me you don't see the parallels. An "Ultimate" party, which is special because everyone is invited? Sound familiar? Not to mention Shantae delivers invitations to all the characters, just as the characters in Smash famously receive invitations to join. And in her conversation with Uncle Mimic, it really sounds to me like he knows about something Shantae doesn't, which he is very proud of her for, but which he wants to make sure she is rested for and ready for.
Don't you dare get my hopes up.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Shovel Knight is out! He's an AT!:surprised: (I'm very sorry, Shovel Knight fans...:( Believe me, I am...)

As for Shantae, NO sign of her, so...:ohwell:

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Shovel Knight is a Assist trophy...so that means there is a possibility indies can be included in the game which also means that Shantae can make it as a indie fighter for smash ultimate!!

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
I first wanna say congrats SK, making it in at all is quite the honor.

That being said, Shantae's biggest rival has been deconfirmed, but he simultaneously paved the way for an indie rep. We have a chance.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Having Shovel Knight as an assist trophy but no Shantae at all would be strange. I want her playable, of course, but I'll take an assist trophy as long as I see her in.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
While I wouldn’t say Shovel Knights’s Assist Trophy means Shantae is a lock. I do think a wink and nod to her is now entirely possible.

Staarih

Smash Master
While I’m a bit bummed about Shovel Knight not being playable, him being in in the first place is amazing for an indie. He was neck to neck with Shantae during the ballot, I recall, so maybe Shantae has a chance to appear ar some capacity as well.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
I dunno about you guys but I feel Shantae's chances just skyrocketed. My condolences to Shovel Knight fans who wanted him playable, but the fact he's even in the game as an assist means Sakurai and company have actually been listening. And as mentioned before, considering Shantae and Shovel Knight were pretty much even, it means she has definitely been considered.

I don't want to get my hopes too high, but I'm definitely more excited now than I have been since the ballot ended

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well with Ultimate having an Indie Rep being in the form of an Assist Trophy Shantae's chances have gone up higher than normal. I can't wait for the next Direct to come to see if our Half Genie Hero becomes the Smash Indie Queen we all hope to see.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I...think this means Shantae is in guys....I mean if SK can get AT status with being so new, multiplat from the start and flopped n Japan. Shantae...oooh god.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
This is it guys we now have more than a silver lining of a chance.

I hope WayForward made the process very easy on Sakurai IF he had contacted them.

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
Whelp. Let's just wait and see. I have a feeling since King k Rool is confirmed now. We might have a reveal trailer of him on his pirate ship attacking Scuttle Town as a nod towards Risky. With her popping in to protect her home from the King.

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Sense I saw Shovel Knight as a assist trophy I think Shantae have a big shot and she does have Nintendo history. Honestly I got King K Rool so I want Shantae for smash add me in the support list. I want to play a Genie Pirate I need it also my dream waifu battle Bayonetta vs Shantae it needs to happen.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I have to say seeing the SK AT gave me high hopes for Shantae. Let’s keep going guys!

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Though I hated seeing shovel knight get deconfirmed, it really shows that shantae can be playable, as she probably has more to work with moveset wise + being featured mostly on nintendo consoles.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
Hi everyone. After seeing my most wanted (Lip) being all but disconfirmed after today's Direct, I've decided to come here to support our favourite half-genie hero seeing how her biggest potential competition (Shovel Knight) is now an AT. May I have my name added to the supporter's list please?

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Well: I certainly didn't expect Shovel Knight to appear at all in the direct, but it certainly surprised me! Either way, even though Shovel Knight isn't playable (and I'm sorry for his fans because of that), I'm happy to see indies get some form of representation at the moment even if it's just as an Assist Trophy for him.

While I don't know where Shantae stands in all this, we'll just have to see how things go in the coming months, honestly.

mediyogurt

Smash Cadet
Yo, I really want Shantae. She's been one of my most wanted for years. I hope the Shovel Knight assist trophy bodes well for Shantae.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
This is going to be a crazy few months left. I just can't wait to see what comes next. I predict the next Smash Direct(or at least Smash stuff in a regular Direct) in October.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I dunno about you guys but I feel Shantae's chances just skyrocketed. My condolences to Shovel Knight fans who wanted him playable, but the fact he's even in the game as an assist means Sakurai and company have actually been listening. And as mentioned before, considering Shantae and Shovel Knight were pretty much even, it means she has definitely been considered.

I don't want to get my hopes too high, but I'm definitely more excited now than I have been since the ballot ended
No offense to SK and his fans, but I think Shantae is a way more deserving Indie rep. She began on Nintendo back in 2002, 3/4 games started off exclusively on Nintendo, female rep, and she has so much moveset potential that it is insane. If Sakurai had to choose 1 of the 2, I think he'd easily choose Shantae based on her merits and history.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
No offense to SK and his fans, but I think Shantae is a way more deserving Indie rep. She began on Nintendo back in 2002, 3/4 games started off exclusively on Nintendo, female rep, and she has so much moveset potential that it is insane. If Sakurai had to choose 1 of the 2, I think he'd easily choose Shantae based on her merits and history.
Also, she is more popular in Japan, so there is that.

D

Deleted member

I think people over here are over-comparing pretty Shantae's chances with Shovel Knight's AT role waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy too much.

I'd already be very happy if she makes in as an AT as well, or even as a simple trophy.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Man, Imma hella glad that there's a hint that indie characters can be involved with Smash Ultimate. With Shovel Knight in as an assist trophy and I feel sorry for those who wanted him playable, Shantae may come on in to Smash Ultimate as a playable character, considering her history with Nintendo and all. But of course, I can be wrong about that.

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice
The fanboy inside me is screaming that Indies and especially Nindies have a chance now. I wasn't expecting to see Shovel Knight in any capacity, and several of the most requested newcomers being early reveals offers a lot of chances.

The realist inside me is worried that an Assist Trophy is as close to Smash as Indies are ever going to get. Assist Trophies are usually characters that didn't have a realizable and diverse moveset, as seen with Bomberman. Shovel Knight on the other hand had a ton of options and still got sidelined (though to be fair, so did Zero).

Shantae has a better chance than I imagined she ever would, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
Wow, what a Direct. Oh my god I am SO hyped for King K. Rool, and Simon looks ****ing sweet as well. All the other new content looks amazing.

But yeah, most relevant to us here is clearly that Shovel Knight Assist Trophy. Hooooly ****. There is a lot to unpack there.

Consider first the implications of Shovel Knight being an Assist Trophy. First of all, it disproves the notion that Sakurai is only interested in catering to the Japanese audience, and that he is ignorant of and/or uninterested in Western indie characters.

It is also strong evidence that Sakurai is using the Smash Ballot results pretty heavily in Smash Ultimate - and again, not just the Japanese results either. Shovel Knight is a character who rose to prominence specifically through the Smash Ballot. There was no significant Shovel Knight campaigning outside of that. Shovel Knight was a great and popular game, but a lot of unrepresented games meet those criteria. It's hard to make sense of Shovel Knight getting this honor without thinking that the Smash Ballot was a big factor. K. Rool's inclusion is also evidence that Sakurai weighed the ballot results very heavily. Unlike Ridley, Sakurai never spoke about the possibility of adding K. Rool before Ultimate, and from what we know about the character selection process, he was never seriously considered either. Now all of a sudden he is one of the major reveals. I would be surprised if that didn't have something to do with the Smash Ballot.

So, we know that Sakurai is open to Western developers and indie characters, and we can be pretty certain that he is drawing on Smash Ballot data pretty extensively, including characters whose primary support is overseas. Online poll after online poll during the Smash Ballot suggested that Shantae did extremely well. All things considered, it is almost impossible to imagine that Shantae didn't receive extended consideration. At the very least, Sakurai and friends must have had a serious conversation about her at some point. And of course, her main rival for a spot in Smash is now officially out of the running with the Smash equivalent of a consolation prize.

If they really did put Shantae in the game, revealing Shovel Knight as an Assist Trophy first would make sense. It sets the stage in a more gentle way for indie representation in Smash. Plus, it is the kindest way to let down Shovel Knight fans if he got passed over for Shantae.

So far the big character reveals have been Inklings, the return of all vets + Ridley, Simon + K. Rool. Those are all some big reveals to drop. Inevitably there will be another Direct or two dedicated to Smash. They must have another pair of big reveals planned, probably two pairs. It's really hard to say right now which characters will fill that out, but I'll bet they have at least one more third party character to show off. Shantae would be appropriately surprising, and plays into the theme of acquiescing to popular fan requests (particularly as represented by the Smash Ballot).

Don't go getting your hopes up too high, but I found this Direct to be very encouraging for Shantae.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
This and Dixie are all that’s really left for me to support. I am still hoping for crash bandicoot, but that is obviously not gonna happen, at least for the base roster. So anyway, seeing shovel knight get the smash “consolation prize” (more like a slap in the face) makes me think Shantae has good chances of being playable (after all, that’s basically how Belmont got in: biggest competition was deconfirmed by the worlds worst item) because it shows indies can have representation in smash, and shantae would be a nice step into indies for smash. She easily has the most potential of the remaining not yet seen fan favorites, which I believe solidifies her chances (I hope so anyway, it’d be great to have on the roster with Nintendo’s all stars)

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
This and Dixie are all that’s really left for me to support. I am still hoping for crash bandicoot, but that is obviously not gonna happen, at least for the base roster. So anyway, seeing shovel knight get the smash “consolation prize” (more like a slap in the face) makes me think Shantae has good chances of being playable (after all, that’s basically how Belmont got in: biggest competition was deconfirmed by the worlds worst item) because it shows indies can have representation in smash, and shantae would be a nice step into indies for smash. She easily has the most potential of the remaining not yet seen fan favorites, which I believe solidifies her chances (I hope so anyway, it’d be great to have on the roster with Nintendo’s all stars)
How is the Assist Trophy a slap in the face, ESPECIALLY for Shovel Knight? Nintendo is officially recognizing Shovel Knight and Yacht Club Games(Look at there twitter, they are super happy about this!), and are welcomed in as apart of the Smash legacy, even if it is a small part. Would you rather there be no assists at the cost that characters like Shovel Knight never get a chance to shine? Ridding of the assist trophies wont make any of those assists become playable, just that they wont be there at all.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
How is the Assist Trophy a slap in the face, ESPECIALLY for Shovel Knight? Nintendo is officially recognizing Shovel Knight and Yacht Club Games(Look at there twitter, they are super happy about this!), and are welcomed in as apart of the Smash legacy, even if it is a small part. Would you rather there be no assists at the cost that characters like Shovel Knight never get a chance to shine? Ridding of the assist trophies wont make any of those assists become playable, just that they wont be there at all.
i agree, being an AT isn't a slap to face, It's only a good thing, especially for a character like SK who previously was thought impossible.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Throw me on your supporter list if you have one! Didn't see this thread until now and I'm hyped to consider her.

Shovel Knight AT is interesting because Sakurai is aware of the growing presence of Indies. Additionally, Shantae and Shovel Knight were consistently the top Indies in all polls the Internet conducted, and, importantly, both had similar results. So if Sakurai is aware of the demand for one, he should also be aware of the demand for the other.

Maybe because Shantae is more well-known due to her longevity Sakurai likes the appeal of her more. Or he just sees the potential oozing with a shapeshifting character.

Top Bottom