• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Maybe because Shantae is more well-known due to her longevity Sakurai likes the appeal of her more. Or he just sees the potential oozing with a shapeshifting character.
And transforming is a thing in Ultimate, as showcased by Pokemon Trainer.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Hmmm, this direct, while overall incredible, did leave me in an awkward position.

I'm someone who was wanting Shovel Knight and Shantae playable (and thought these were the only 2 indies that made any sense for being playable in Smash), though admittedly was more on Shovel Knight's side. Seeing Shovel Knight get deconfirmed was rough for sure. I mean, I realized his chances were slim (how I felt about any indie character), and the fact that he even made it in at all is certainly noteworthy. And it's nice that Yacht Club is happy about this. What happened is obviously better than nothing at all, still can;t help but be a bit bummed.

some disappointment over Shovel Knight aside, this does bode well for Shantae, and with Shovel Knight being an assist trophy now, I'm pretty much completely on the Shantae hype train for getting an indie rep in Smash Bros. Hopefully she can dance through the danger of becoming an assist trophy!

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Having Shovel Knight as an assist trophy but no Shantae at all would be strange. I want her playable, of course, but I'll take an assist trophy as long as I see her in.
Haiku: Actually, Shantae shall be confirmed as New Female Comer in SMASH! #Haiku #NeverGiveUp #RaheemXCristinaVee #Shantae4SmashUltimate #RiskyBoots4SmashUltimate #RET2GO P.S: Hopefully, Cristina Valenzuela aka Cristina Vee shall get married to me, after Shantae and Risky Boots are officially confirmed in SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE, real soon!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Hmmm, this direct, while overall incredible, did leave me in an awkward position.

I'm someone who was wanting Shovel Knight and Shantae playable (and thought these were the only 2 indies that made any sense for being playable in Smash), though admittedly was more on Shovel Knight's side. Seeing Shovel Knight get deconfirmed was rough for sure. I mean, I realized his chances were slim (how I felt about any indie character), and the fact that he even made it in at all is certainly noteworthy. And it's nice that Yacht Club is happy about this. What happened is obviously better than nothing at all, still can;t help but be a bit bummed.

some disappointment over Shovel Knight aside, this does bode well for Shantae, and with Shovel Knight being an assist trophy now, I'm pretty much completely on the Shantae hype train for getting an indie rep in Smash Bros. Hopefully she can dance through the danger of becoming an assist trophy!
Yeah I’m in a similar boat as well, though if Yacht Club is happy with this outcome, then there’s no reason we shouldn’t be either, it’s an incredible honor for them regardless. I doubt she’ll be base roster material, but I still have confidence she’ll make the cut as a DLC character. (also I appreciate the pun at the end, that’s actually pretty clever)

Haiku: Actually, Shantae shall be confirmed as New Female Comer in SMASH! #Haiku #NeverGiveUp #RaheemXCristinaVee #Shantae4SmashUltimate #RiskyBoots4SmashUltimate #RET2GO P.S: Hopefully, Cristina Valenzuela aka Cristina Vee shall get married to me, after Shantae and Risky Boots are officially confirmed in SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE, real soon!
Well, it’s nice to see you’re enthusiastic at least, in terms of that other dream though, she’s already taken: https://mobile.twitter.com/CristinaVee/status/949898850654826496

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
There's nothing I can add that hasn't already been said except that because Shovel Knight was created by former members of Wayforward it would be a special type of poetic irony for his biggest rival and practically mother to be added as a playable fighter. What an interesting next 4 months we are going to have.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
There's nothing I can add that hasn't already been said except that because Shovel Knight was created by former members of Wayforward it would be a special type of poetic irony for his biggest rival and practically mother to be added as a playable fighter. What an interesting next 4 months we are going to have.
I am so glad some one else realizes that by all accounts, Shantae is basically Shovel Knight's mother. If she does get in, there will be some Star Wars jokes.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
I am so glad some one else realizes that by all accounts, Shantae is basically Shovel Knight's mother. If she does get in, there will be some Star Wars jokes.
Star Wars jokes? Because of Shantae's inclusion once it happens? Like what?

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Ok, well... I think it's about time I start adding people to the supporter list. Allow me to go through everyone who's asked and I'll have it updated as soon as possible.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Looks like I never asked to be added. So consider this a formal request to be included on the supporter list.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Anyone else think the scene from Spongebob movie with them annoucning the new manager fits Shovel Knight and Shantae so well?

"Its a name you all know! It starts with an S!" Im gonna try and make that edit with them in prepartion for a possible Shantae reveal

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Ok, so: just keep in mind, I have added everyone who has asked to be a supporter or has heavily implied that they have wanted to be as far back as when Smash Ultimate was released, so there is a possibility I may of missed some people from before that date. Either way, if you are tagged in this list of people and wish to be removed from the main supporter list if at all, either quote me or send me a private PM and I'll do that as soon as I can.

New Supporters:

@DaemonDD
The21stSmasher The21stSmasher
smash puffle smash puffle
MetroLSD MetroLSD
P.Kat P.Kat
Jazzy Jinx Jazzy Jinx
DoctorSanity DoctorSanity
Dixie Kong Dixie Kong
Teeb147 Teeb147
SuperNintendoKid SuperNintendoKid
Wademan94 Wademan94
Jorichi Jorichi
EarlTamm EarlTamm
mediyogurt mediyogurt
Starbound Starbound
perfectchaos83 perfectchaos83

Last edited:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
So I’ve been rewatching the newcomer trailers for a good chunk of the day and seeing how much effort and personality was put into them, I was wondering if that could be a good discussion topic, ideas for a potential reveal trailer for Shantae?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So I’ve been rewatching the newcomer trailers for a good chunk of the day and seeing how much effort and personality was put into them, I was wondering if that could be a good discussion topic, ideas for a potential reveal trailer for Shantae?
Well, Scuttle Town will be on fire, because of course. It would be neat if they used K.Rool in place of Risky, but perhaps they would not want to have any of the spotlight stolen.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Well, Scuttle Town will be on fire, because of course. It would be neat if they used K.Rool in place of Risky, but perhaps they would not want to have any of the spotlight stolen.
I'd actually really like that. Both pirates (K Rool and Ridley) should raid Scuttle town and, as per the usual in Smash Ultimate trailers, Shantae murders them with her transformations.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I'd actually really like that. Both pirates (K Rool and Ridley) should raid Scuttle town and, as per the usual in Smash Ultimate trailers, Shantae murders them with her transformations.
And you could get Ridley involved if you want even more Pirate action. I am half joking of course, but there is a surprising amount of piracy going on in Ultimate, especially if Shantae don's some of the pirate gear for some of her moves.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Huh, I swear I announced my Support long ago but I just checked the OP and I'm not there, so... add me plz? Yellowlord Yellowlord

Luminario

Smash Lord
I think I'd prefer a sillier one that has the Smash girls dancing and slowly reveal Shantae as the lead dancer, similar to how WFT's trailer started with Smash characters doing yoga poses. Either that or the K.Rool + Ridley one that's already been suggested.

Staarih

Smash Master
King K. Rool "substituting" for Risky as the pirate demolishing Scuttle Town would be genius. We just need fire and flames, and Shantae dancing through the danger, and voilá!

Also, Yellowlord Yellowlord , while I'm usually indifferent towards support lists, might as well add me on this one :)

Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
i had an idea that, Krool's trailer kinda ruined mine but whatever,

In a nut shell, the trailer would focus on DK and Diddy getting their house bombed from afar, so they go to investigate, when they get there on the beach they find a pirateship with Krool manning the capitans wheel. He jumps on to the shore
(Krool introduction card),
and proceeds to just absolutely wreck DK and Diddy
(Krool gameplay)

Cut back to DK and Diddy being surrounded by Krool and his kremlings. Then from out of the tree line a small monkey shaped projectile headbutts krool right in his Eye and he is knocked back. The monkey lands and its an adorable little guy, then in a puff of smoke the monkey disappears and shantae appears in the smoke (title card Ret 2 Go)

gameplay footage

Ends with the Pirate ship on fire sinking just off the beach, and DK playing the bongos, while Shantae and Diddy dance around a fire..

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Thought I understand DK is fresh in everyone’s mind considering the direct, how about maybe coming up with something involving Toon Link? His game deals with pirates.

Couple ideas I had are Toon Link sailing out on the King of the Red Lions nest a familiar lighthouse when a group of pirate ships start firing cannonballs on him and just when it seems like one will hit him straight on, mermaid Shantae pops out and smacks the cannonball back towards them.

or maybe he could use the crane to fish up the magic lamp that was thrown into the ocean, only for harpy Shantae to snatch it from him

I’ll try to expand on some more ideas soon

EDIT: For the cannonball attack idea, Something that I think that could make the trailer a bit more unique is if there was a bit of a rhythm motif to it, like maybe before her reveal she could be dancing in silhouette with a beat similar to HGH to signify her about to transform and sounds like the cannonballs firing and hitting the ocean would be perfectly timed with the beat

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I haven't thought of a precise idea for a trailer, but I like the idea of it starting with Toon Link traveling through the sea on the King of Red Lions and spotting Scuttle Town in the distance, which could also lead into the previous mentions of DK/Diddy and K. Rool.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Or maybe one of the Belmont's try going after The Pirate Master? That would be fitting, considering the Pirate Master did kinda "borrow" some of Dracula's techniques.

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
Thought I understand DK is fresh in everyone’s mind considering the direct, how about maybe coming up with something involving Toon Link? His game deals with pirates.

Couple ideas I had are Toon Link sailing out on the King of the Red Lions nest a familiar lighthouse when a group of pirate ships start firing cannonballs on him and just when it seems like one will hit him straight on, mermaid Shantae pops out and smacks the cannonball back towards them.

or maybe he could use the crane to fish up the magic lamp that was thrown into the ocean, only for harpy Shantae to snatch it from him

I’ll try to expand on some more ideas soon

EDIT: For the cannonball attack idea, Something that I think that could make the trailer a bit more unique is if there was a bit of a rhythm motif to it, like maybe before her reveal she could be dancing in silhouette with a beat similar to HGH to signify her about to transform and sounds like the cannonballs firing and hitting the ocean would be perfectly timed with the beat
I mean. If they go with more HGH design for Shantae, that more toon look would fit perfectly within the Wind Waker world.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean. If they go with more HGH design for Shantae, that more toon look would fit perfectly within the Wind Waker world.
Actually, that's a good point, what sort of look would they go for with Shantae?

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Considering it’s the most recent release, I’d say the portrait art style for Half Genie Hero. Plus I think Wayforward went with something similar when they created art to promote Shantae for the Smash Ballot.
I guess. It would fit, but I think they can go two routes when it comes to designing Shantae's look. They can go the HGH route and proportion it that way and make her more cartoony, or they can go with the route of the Indivisible design and be a tad more realistic with her proportions. I am fine with either, but it would shift the tone of the character a bit depending on which way they would go.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I guess. It would fit, but I think they can go two routes when it comes to designing Shantae's look. They can go the HGH route and proportion it that way and make her more cartoony, or they can go with the route of the Indivisible design and be a tad more realistic with her proportions. I am fine with either, but it would shift the tone of the character a bit depending on which way they would go.
I mean there’s also Pirate’s Curse’s artstyle as well. Personally I think this artstyle represents the tone of the character and series pretty well and I think it makes her stand out better. Granted there’d need to be a few tweaks to make this design work as a 3D model, but I could easily see this being the benchmark for her overall design in Smash

371FBAF8-4DAF-435A-A5EC-0BD1608991E8.png

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I mean there’s also Pirate’s Curse’s artstyle as well. Personally I think this artstyle represents the tone of the character and series pretty well and I think it makes her stand out better. Granted there’d need to be a few tweaks to make this design work as a 3D model, but I could easily see this being the benchmark for her overall design in Smash

View attachment 156542
I could definitely see that, especially if they are gonna try to incorporate the pirate gear. It's a nice in-between, and it does fit Shantae pretty well.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I mean there’s also Pirate’s Curse’s artstyle as well.
Yup, I'd personally prefer Pirate's Curse art style - all polished, modernized and 3D for Smash of course. I feel like Shantae's proportions look the best in it, and it would translate well into a Smash moveset (especially if the pirate gear is incorporated) and blending in with the other fighters. The chibi-style isn't really my thing.

Matt Bozon has said in the past that he sees Shantae being in between Peach and Mega Man (stylistically), so the artstyle could go either way really haha, since Peach is more "realistic" while Mega Man is more chibi.

Last edited:

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Ok, so: just keep in mind, I have added everyone who has asked to be a supporter or has heavily implied that they have wanted to be as far back as when Smash Ultimate was released, so there is a possibility I may of missed some people from before that date. Either way, if you are tagged in this list of people and wish to be removed from the main supporter list if at all, either quote me or send me a private PM and I'll do that as soon as I can.

New Supporters:

@DaemonDD
The21stSmasher The21stSmasher
smash puffle smash puffle
MetroLSD MetroLSD
P.Kat P.Kat
Jazzy Jinx Jazzy Jinx
DoctorSanity DoctorSanity
Dixie Kong Dixie Kong
Teeb147 Teeb147
SuperNintendoKid SuperNintendoKid
Wademan94 Wademan94
Jorichi Jorichi
EarlTamm EarlTamm
mediyogurt mediyogurt
Starbound Starbound
perfectchaos83 perfectchaos83
I've always been a Big Shantae Fan supporter since day 1: https://smashboards.com/threads/the...or-ssb4-wayforward-wants-her-in-smash.328577/ So, please add my name: Raheem The Dream Raheem The Dream in (your) The Shantae 4 Smash Ultimate Thread Support Group & especially for crying out loud please add my Shantae & Risky Boots Social Media Fan Group: https://www.facebook.com/ShantaeANDRiskyBoots4SuperSmashBros.Ultimate/

Also, I was majorly credits for supporting Geno from Super Mario RPG: Legend of The Seven Stars to (finally) be confirmed in this: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate = https://smashboards.com/threads/geno-♥♪-return-of-the-starsend-savior-rise-again.446378/ 38257309_2612748448950736_8752483161234997248_o.png

37778104_1790331601014201_8882527761571250176_o.png
28959374_1630833213630708_8517389609368289280_o.jpg
37759081_1790334771013884_2907523117989494784_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Err...this is awkward, I realize my original post has been misread. For the record, I like Pirate’s Curse’s artstyle and wanted it initially back around Smash 4, but now I’ve gotten a lot more attached to the portrait artstyle in HGH, (especially in the win screens) and the stuff I was talking about was supposed to apply to it instead. I figured the picture I posted would’ve been enough for everyone else to get the idea. Sorry that I didn’t word it well enough.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
Man, if Shantae would get a cinematic trailer of this quality I'd be over the moon!

But after seeing Shovel Knight get the AT-treatment, I have the feeling this could go either way. They've clearly used the info they've gathered from the ballot, so it kind of depends on the reason why Shovel Knight became an Assist Trophy. Is it because his moveset just wouldn't be interesting, or is it because they just want indies to be nothing more than AT's?
At least we know indies aren't immediately pushed to the side.

I feel like I can completely trust the Smash devs with which style they'd pick for Shantae. I know how meticulous and respectful these guys are towards each character and series. If anything I'm more curious how cute her animal transormations would look in 3D (not to forget a CG trailer).

All I know for sure is that the wait is going to be very painful and it's either going to end in bliss or heartbreak. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but man.... it's harder than I thought.

Fingers crossed.

Top Bottom