• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Shantae's chances are the exact same today as they were yesterday.

Matt and WayForward have ALWAYS shared fanart and frankly I don't think they pay much attention to the hashtags that are used with it. There's a huge difference between liking a post and responding to it. They still go out of their way to ignore any tweets about Smash and I haven't seen them share any fanart with Shantae hanging out with other Smash characters. They are likely still under an NDA and I doubt Sakurai would be strict enough to forbid them from sharing fanart.

There's still the hints in Jammies mode and Shantae not appearing in other fighting gmes.

This changes nothing and to be honest seeing people give up hope so quickly is deeply disappointing.

None of us are saying that she couldn't be an assist trophy, but I do think it's silly to give up all hope because they liked a few tweets.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I want to add in a little circumstantial evidence, based on the Final Destination Broadcast video.
You wanna know another character that didn't appear in any game until Smash Ultimate? King K. Rool.
While I wouldn't say it's under the same conditions as Shantae, that's pretty telling how much Sakurai really wanted to revive the Kremlin King on Smash in such a capacity that he actually called "dibs" on him, forcing Retro Studios to make the tikis and the arctic animals as their villains. With one of his final playable games being in Super Mario Sluggers before being in the shadows.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Just finished the Main Game in Half Genie Hero 100%, was pretty fun. There were a few sections I did not like, like whenever an auto-scrolling type part of a stage would show, in particular at the end, but all and all it was a pretty fun game. I like how powerful collecting every dance and abilities makes you feel. :p

Also, Im sold on Shantaes personality, with how she interacts with both her friends and what I assume are reoccurring villains. Casually, and consistently wholesomely. I could have mistaken it for a Nintendo property if I did not know ahead of time it is an indie title( though that credit list was HUGE for that).
Easy way to handle the autoscroll levels. Jump and hold down the flamethrower spell!

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
It honestly impresses me that regardless of the time, we have at least 20+ active users on a daily basis. Beforehand, we'd usually only have 2 and 3 or maybe even none at all.

Overall, it's quite nice seeing this place having become this active. :)

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Woah. There were two pages of depression. I'd hate if Shantae were an AT, but here's the thing...

We survived everything. The hatred of /v/ from 4chan, some redditors, and especially GameFAQs. We been called delusional, hopeless, insane. They said we only like her for her pr0n, or that she's irrelavant. You know what I mean.

"Shovel Knights an AT..."
"Bomberman's an AT..."
"She's irrelavant..."
"Pr0n lovers..."
"Annoying fans..."

But WE aren't going down. We made it this far through the absolute hate towards us, and our pick. If :ultpichu: can make it, with absolutely no hope from the beginning, Shantae can too. Don't let others discourage you. Keep going.

We have hope for Base Roster or DLC. Lets hope she ISN'T an AT, but that she can still be playable! Lets go everyone!

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I want to add in a little circumstantial evidence, based on the Final Destination Broadcast video.
You wanna know another character that didn't appear in any game until Smash Ultimate? King K. Rool.
While I wouldn't say it's under the same conditions as Shantae, that's pretty telling how much Sakurai really wanted to revive the Kremlin King on Smash in such a capacity that he actually called "dibs" on him, forcing Retro Studios to make the tikis and the arctic animals as their villains. With one of his final playable games being in Super Mario Sluggers before being in the shadows.
I posted it earlier already, but what the heck, here is the topic again for reference: Link

However Retro Studios wanted to bring him back in the Switch-Rerelease of Tropical Freeze.
I don't think they were forced to make other villains.

K Rool was just a dead character to Nintendo and they didn't realize how much people still loved him, until the ballot showed them.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm not getting my hopes down. I feel like shes playable. If she's not, I'll cross that road when it comes

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Woah. There were two pages of depression. I'd hate if Shantae were an AT, but here's the thing...

We survived everything. The hatred of /v/ from 4chan, some redditors, and especially GameFAQs. We been called delusional, hopeless, insane. They said we only like her for her pr0n, or that she's irrelavant. You know what I mean.

"Shovel Knights an AT..."
"Bomberman's an AT..."
"She's irrelavant..."
"Pr0n lovers..."
"Annoying fans..."

But WE aren't going down. We made it this far through the absolute hate towards us, and our pick. If :ultpichu: can make it, with absolutely no hope from the beginning, Shantae can too. Don't let others discourage you. Keep going.

We have hope for Base Roster or DLC. Lets hope she ISN'T an AT, but that she can still be playable! Lets go everyone!
GameFaqs became an unredeemable after the whole Undertale/Rocket League kerfuffle. We can safely ignore them without any problems, because they have forfeited their seriousness once that happened. /v/'s just a bunch of whiners who would complain if something was off by a tenth of a millimeter or if the coffee was only a single degree Fahrenheit above the optimal coffee temperature. And Reddit... well, they're sort of wild cards. They can disappoint, but they can also impress.

Last edited:

MajestyIndigo

Smash Ace
Let's just not forget that with the very likely big amount of DLCs we will get (switch's success widely exceeding Wii U's ), there is no way she doesn't make it in at some point...
It's undeniable that she is among the most requested characters at this point and has to be on Nintendo's radar.
All these clues, hints, pros, cons, and logical outcomes we came up with so far don't really matter because they actually don't PROVE anything at the end of the day, but they help giving us an idea of what to expect.
We are all as clueless as each other on that matter, and those who pretend that's she doesn't stand a chance are on the same exact boat as us.
Fandemand is clearly what embodies this iteration of Smash and guess what ? We are the fans !
All we can do is hope and keep showing our composed enthusiasm online !
She has her chances more than ever, and that's thanks to you guys who have been supporting her series ever since the smash ballot ( or before ) to us supporting her today.
I want to believe she will be playable in this prestigious game because she CAN be ! And I'm sure as hell that she WIIL be !

loozer2

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how liking a tweet with fanart or appreciation for the character would violate an NDA, even if a smash tag were included. In all of the few instances where it has happened, the fan art was the focus of the tweet or in the case of the one Shantae/Lilac tweet, it was the person saying how much they loved the characters. They still don't respond to any questions related to smash or tweets where smash is the focus of the tweet, even in the same threads where they are responding to lots of other questions. I could understand if they were liking and retweeting tweets that were literally, "PLEASE PUT SHANTAE IN SMASH I LOVE HER #shantaeforsmash" but those get completely ignored even if they make up half of a thread.

https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/1008465630981324800
I mean are people forgetting this tweet from Yacht Club Games? This is WAY worse than Wayforward liking a piece of fan art that has a smash tag in it yet he's still in. Even then, it's a rare occurrence from Wayforward and just a like.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Shantae's chances are the exact same today as they were yesterday.

Matt and WayForward have ALWAYS shared fanart and frankly I don't think they pay much attention to the hashtags that are used with it. There's a huge difference between liking a post and responding to it. They still go out of their way to ignore any tweets about Smash and I haven't seen them share any fanart with Shantae hanging out with other Smash characters. They are likely still under an NDA and I doubt Sakurai would be strict enough to forbid them from sharing fanart.

There's still the hints in Jammies mode and Shantae not appearing in other fighting gmes.

This changes nothing and to be honest seeing people give up hope so quickly is deeply disappointing.

None of us are saying that she couldn't be an assist trophy, but I do think it's silly to give up all hope because they liked a few tweets.
One thing I think people keep forgetting is Wayforward is still a company. They're not going to agree to full out ignoring their fans for the sake of smash. Validating fans is what keeps them relevant.

Mrs.Milky

Smash Ace
Oi I just got half genie hero yesterday (time to make some fanart) also love the first stage song.

Furthermore I noticed that when you kill a enemy, they die like how you get ko'd in smash

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Honestly, no matter what you support, you will get hated no matter what.
So I don't see how all these haters even matter.

Keep supporting what you love. Stay true to yourself! ;)

AngrySun88

Smash Ace

I found some seriously cute fanart over on KnowYourMeme. They seem to be half/half on Shantae, but ultimately neutral.
Even the haters can't deny the cuteness of this or that there is demand for Shantae in Smash.

I've seen this one before on Twitter, but I don't think WayForward/Matt have ever liked or shared it.

NukeA6

Smash Master
They said we only like her for her pr0n
Funny, because I bet they all like Dixie Kong for the very same reason. It's like they refuse to believe that Shantae's fanbase started around the original game which reached cult status before Risky's Revenge even existed.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
Let's just not forget that with the very likely big amount of DLCs we will get (switch's success widely exceeding Wii U's ), there is no way she doesn't make it in at some point...
It's undeniable that she is among the most requested characters at this point and has to be on Nintendo's radar.
All these clues, hints, pros, cons, and logical outcomes we came up with so far don't really matter because they actually don't PROVE anything at the end of the day, but they help giving us an idea of what to expect.
We are all as clueless as each other on that matter, and those who pretend that's she doesn't stand a chance are on the same exact boat as us.
Fandemand is clearly what embodies this iteration of Smash and guess what ? We are the fans !
All we can do is hope and keep showing our composed enthusiasm online !
She has her chances more than ever, and that's thanks to you guys who have been supporting her series ever since the smash ballot ( or before ) to us supporting her today.
I want to believe she will be playable in this prestigious game because she CAN be ! And I'm sure as hell that she WIIL be !
Yaaaasss!
I've been thinking this too.
Regardless of what we speculate there's a 33% chance that she'll be in, 33% that's she'll be an AT, and a 33% chance she'll not be in the game at all or she'll be a trophy. (I like looking at it this way rather than 50% chance she's in or not)
The only thing we truly effect is her future inclusion. It's fun as hell to speculate, though

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
We have some news. This may be good or bad depending on your decision.

Famitsu might accidentally leak some info about the Nintendo Direct, and there may be nothing to stop them.

Here's a Reddit Post About the Situation

Here's a clearer version from 4chan's view.

EDIT: Don't read the spoiler tag if you haven't read either links.

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Funny, because I bet they all like Dixie Kong for the very same reason. It's like they refuse to believe that Shantae's fanbase started around the original game which reached cult status before Risky's Revenge even existed.
Trolls say the same thing about any female character - that fans only want them in because they're "hot" or because the fans are perverts. These haters are best left ignored as they aren't worth the effort.

And they always forget about Shantae's history with Nintendo or say that it's not relevant.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Y'all...

These last few pages are gross. Quit bein a buncha babies :rolleyes: our girl is A-OK and imma personally focus on keeping my hype under control for when she does get that sweet sweet confirmation that we are all waiting for so I still have the energy to go nuts!

AngrySun88

Smash Ace

Famitsu might accidentally leak some info about the Nintendo Direct, and there may be nothing to stop them.

Hopefully Nintendo can either halt them or they decide to release the Direct before the magazine comes out. They are already having some things spoiled for them already and they'd likely want to keep a big Smash reveal a secret. Everybody understands why Nintendo delayed the Direct, but at this point they're going to have everything spoiled before the Direct even happens.

And there will be leaks - real and fake - about Smash. Nintendo needs to nip those in the bud.

zferolie

Smash Hero

I'm sure nintendo knows this... but why they aren't releasing the direct, or even just the smash announcments before that, is anyones guess. Its obvious now that there was something involving earthquakes in that direct. I am assuming the torna DLC, as that has islands being destroyed. They probably need to remove that

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
that's the excuse people will cling to. Videogames are still overcoming sexism. Bathing suit Zero Suit created more controversy than bathing suit Shulk. Just ignore them.
are there people who like Shantae for her body? Absolutely. There are over 100 pages, on this site alone, that indicate her actual values. Aaaaaaaaaaaaand they blatantly mentioned it in the game where she tent a good role model due to her "outlandish outfit and temper". Someone pull that picture because she's talking to a guy who wears significantly less.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman
Updated information everybody. Refresh to see a tweet. Who knows, as the Twitter User may be wrong.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Updated information everybody. Refresh to see a tweet. Who knows, as the Twitter User may be wrong.
Well its still possible that Sakurai wrote this article 2 weeks ago. Still, good to know. Its still possible we may see some leaks as a worker may still send a picture, but who knows

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
that's the excuse people will cling to. Videogames are still overcoming sexism. Bathing suit Zero Suit created more controversy than bathing suit Shulk. Just ignore them.
are there people who like Shantae for her body? Absolutely. There are over 100 pages, on this site alone, that indicate her actual values. Aaaaaaaaaaaaand they blatantly mentioned it in the game where she tent a good role model due to her "outlandish outfit and temper". Someone pull that picture because she's talking to a guy who wears significantly less.
If anything, I think it makes her a better role model :upsidedown::upsidedown: being a qt does not stop you from being a funny badass! There's no reason to not love your body, I say if you've got it and you want to flaunt it then go for it. The normalization of the body and sexuality is good for society, imo. Only improvement would be to include some of the other healthy body types, everyone has the power to be babe!

:colorful: stay woke

Top Bottom