• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
Vergeben was wrong. Lol. Kazuma looks fun even if I didn't care much for him. Namco deserved another rep
Maybe, maybe not. He stuck to his guns with Steve and we won't know the answer for Chief 'til September or November I'm guessing.

This is gonna be a long year.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
Well, the E3 direct overall had a fair amount to be excited about. A new Wario Ware is always fun, Metroid Dread looks kinda terrifying, which is a great follow up to Fusion, And SMT 5 looks like it will be very cool.

I'm amazed they still haven't given us the title for BotW 2 tho.

Motor Bug2005

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MotorBug2005
What Kazuya's inclusion also does is it once and for all, disconfirms the 4chan character list "leak" as they were no Tekken characters on that list.

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
The real can of worms this reveal opens up is that franchises who previously had mii costumes released aren't out of the running anymore.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So there was actually quite a bit in this Direct that I'm interested in...and ironically the Smash reveal was probably the one that got me the least-hyped for it.

I'm not saying Kazuya's a bad choice per se (I acknowledge that Tekken is one of the most popular fighting games ever, so it does make sense); it's just that personally I don't really care much for traditional-style fighting games, and hell, I didn't even know what game he was from until the "Smash X Tekken" image appeared.

That being said, from what I gathered from the trailer, he does seem to have some unique abilities that differentiate him from Ryu, Ken, and Terry (in particular him turning into some sort of demon, which was pretty cool on reflection), from what I've inferred, he seems to be another playable villain which is appreciated, and I'm sure he'll be fun to play as when he comes out; it's just that for now, due to my own feelings regarding that particular genre, I'm rather lukewarm towards his inclusion.

I don't hate it, but I'm also not really jumping out of my seat in joy, either.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Welp, Llyod is pretty much a Mii.

Hope that didn't hit hard Nazyrus, sorry about your luck. Honestly, I don't have much faith in any of my requested characters either. Especially not at this point.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
So there was actually quite a bit in this Direct that I'm interested in...and ironically the Smash reveal was probably the one that got me the least-hyped for it.

I'm not saying Kazuya's a bad choice per se (I acknowledge that Tekken is one of the most popular fighting games ever, so it does make sense); it's just that personally I don't really care much for traditional-style fighting games, and hell, I didn't even know what game he was from until the "Smash X Tekken" image appeared.

That being said, from what I gathered from the trailer, he does seem to have some unique abilities that differentiate him from Ryu, Ken, and Terry (in particular him turning into some sort of demon, which was pretty cool on reflection), from what I've inferred, he seems to be another playable villain which is appreciated, and I'm sure he'll be fun to play as when he comes out; it's just that for now, due to my own feelings regarding that particular genre, I'm rather lukewarm towards his inclusion.

I don't hate it, but I'm also not really jumping out of my seat in joy, either.
Don’t worry, you’re allowed to not care about fighters, as long as you aren’t a jerk about it, which you aren’t being.

Though from your perspective as someone unfamiliar with Tekken I do have to laugh at the word choice that you think he “seems” to be a new villain to the roster after he spent literally his entire cinematic trailer dropping people into a volcano

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I personally don't think we have to worry about Master Chief at this point. Although I acknowledge what it would mean as a crossover standpoint, I don't they would end all of the DLC with a character that most Nintendo fans don't have a real emotional connection to.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I watched it live, trembling as I had never felt before (maybe aside from the end of Base Game).

I'm gonna be frank, I was at the JTDaddy territory of fear when it comes to Shantae. At least before the presentation. After I got something to eat and watched the live presentation, it subsumed. Though I just hope they aren't merciless with Shantae in the Mii Costume rounds.

Also, got a meme for y'all

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
I watched it live, trembling as I had never felt before (maybe aside from the end of Base Game).

I'm gonna be frank, I was at the JTDaddy territory of fear when it comes to Shantae. At least before the presentation. After I got something to eat and watched the live presentation, it subsumed. Though I just hope they aren't merciless with Shantae in the Mii Costume rounds.
Have faith, the final returning Mii costume Lloyd will undoubtedly come due to being from the same company, and Tekken has no shortage of characters to fit onto Brawler Miis.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
1623784052065.png

If there's one thing about this entire thing I am thankful for over the course of these last three years, is Nintendo tempering expectations immediately so we don't go ape.
As for the ~40 mins, I think it'd be closer to ~35 minutes, though that's if he'll talk about the entirety of the Tekken series and why he chose Kazuya over Heihachi.

Shadow Novus

Smash Apprentice
How does everyone feel about Shantae's chances for being the final DLC fighter?
Not gonna lie I'm kinda worried, since it feels like every newcomer in these FP's that are not Nintendo IPs all have mega-franchise status and Shantae for as much as I love her doesn't seem to have that kind of clout.

I absolutely want to be wrong 'cause I want her in more than anyone.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
How does everyone feel about Shantae's chances for being the final DLC fighter?
I still think she has a decent chance, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say there’s a lot of horses in the race that I think are plausible. I still hold that the DLC ending on a character that will only have new Mii Fighters and FP2 not having any indie Miis despite how much of a successful reaction they had in FP1 could lead to an indie character and indie Mii focused final showing, but that’s still just speculation based on Mii costumes of all things.

Just expect to hear the exact same chorus of “It’s gonna be Crash, Hayabusa, Master Chief, or Doomguy” from the general crowd that you’ve heard since pre-Sephiroth for a few more months, and never give up hope for the Half Genie Hero.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I still think she has a decent chance, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say there’s a lot of horses in the race that I think are plausible. I still hold that the DLC ending on a character that will only have new Mii Fighters and FP2 not having any indie Miis despite how much of a successful reaction they had in FP1 could lead to an indie character and indie Mii focused final showing, but that’s still just speculation based on Mii costumes of all things.

Just expect to hear the exact same chorus of “It’s gonna be Crash, Hayabusa, Master Chief, or Doomguy” from the general crowd that you’ve heard since pre-Sephiroth for a few more months, and never give up hope for the Half Genie Hero.
Honestly given how this whole DLC pass has been.... i don't think it will be any most requested character. Only Steve was been highly requested that made it in this FP, so I feel the last will also be someone not as mainstream.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie I'm kinda worried, since it feels like every newcomer in these FP's that are not Nintendo IPs all have mega-franchise status and Shantae for as much as I love her doesn't seem to have that kind of clout.

I absolutely want to be wrong 'cause I want her in more than anyone.
Thats how I feel. She is my most wanted that isn't an Asset (Most wanted being Krystal)

TBH, I feel like Crash, Hayabusa, Master Chief, or Doomguy are not going to happened, we have gone through 10 DLC cycles and nothing.

zferolie

Smash Hero

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think the low note ones were the characters that got their mark into Smash Ultimate's roster.

Steve for the longest time was laughed off as a joke until 2020 at the supposed E3. (Thanks to the pandemic shutting the world down)
Tekken creator was annoyed after so many requests for a smash rep that he just rage against them. Though, I guess he did good job to blow a lot of people off on Tekken's tracks. Also, Sakurai previously stated that Tekken mechanics would be hard to implement back then.
Terry was leaked by accident on the nintendo website that had SNK content coming soon at the time.
Sephiroth wasn't on a lot of people's minds since Square Enix had claim issues for the music tracks and other content.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

zferolie

Smash Hero
I hope they acually make a big tweet about wayfoward working on it. Wayforward themselves haven't yet

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
Have faith, the final returning Mii costume Lloyd will undoubtedly come due to being from the same company, and Tekken has no shortage of characters to fit onto Brawler Miis.
Actually there is still one more mii costume from smash 4 that hasn’t returned.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Red shell mii hat. Lol
Oh, I was referring to the DLC costumes as those are the ones being brought back in Smash Ultimate’s DLC. Technically speaking there’s like 10 base Smash 4 costume pieces that got cut for ultimate... but let’s face it we aren’t getting the red shell hat or the tiny hibiscus hair accessory as DLC 😅

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah. Anyway, we got another two weeks to know when Kazuya and the next Mii Costume wave will be released. I doubt we will have anymore DLC announcement as Sakurai stated that we have two more presents videos based on the current information so far.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I was gonna wait for a sale to buy Re-Bootcamp. As it is $60.

But now that I know Wayforward is developing it. Looks like I'm buying it day one.

I hope it leads to WF working on more Nintendo IPs, I don't know of anyone who doesn't think WF would knock a Wario Land game out of the park.
Personally, I want to see their writing chops put to the test in a Mario RPG. Ideally also with Shantae in the mix.

Great to see the developer of one of my favorite franchises getting to work on another one of my favorite franchises!

Imagine if there's a Shantae easter egg in there......
I'm telling you, Ammo Baron was made for this kind of game. Even in his own series proper he's worrying about finances he needs for his troops and air units wasting fuel from idling. Now if he could get some pointers from Colin... :demon:

When I saw the trailer, it really looked like wayforward art. But the website didn't list wayforward when i checked.

Still. Wayforward is working on an Offical Nintendo IP... That huge
Yeah, if you look at the way the characters move in their normal battle portraits, it's indeed very reminiscent of sprites from Half-Genie Hero onwards

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Maybe, maybe not. He stuck to his guns with Steve and we won't know the answer for Chief 'til September or November I'm guessing.
Well have I got some bad news for Vergeben - September/November came a bit early this year.

That’s the Community Director of 343 Industries. And before anyone says NDA, if there was an NDA gag out on Chief, he would absolutely know about it.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I just finished watching Nintendo Direct and I wouldn’t say Nintendo wins E3 specifically but they did win with few things that I’ll mentioned about my thoughts. Kazuya from Tekken for Smash? Obviously I did not expect that but I’m glad that Bandai Namco finally got some more love what they deserve after 7 years from only getting Pac-Man by them and they finally got more reps. Pretty dark Kazuya dumps Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Pit, MY MAIN MIN MIN, Marth and Kirby into a lava pit but of course Kirby survived that like in World Of Light. Why Kazuya have to do that to them? Pure evil lol.

Danganronpa for Nintendo Switch? I literally randomly predict that in my head after my interesting experience of Danganronpa Series. I just randomly thought what if Danganronpa for Switch and it actually happened. Let’s go!

BOTW 2 gameplay? As much as I’m not specifically a Zelda fan but we finally got what we needed. I understand the development took an extra while because of COVID-19 and developing video games took longer like modelling features, mechanics and stuff. I did played BOTW 2 years ago and already finished it. I had a nice experience with it and now maybe I’ll give a sequel a shot as well if I consider it.

Last edited:

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Wonder why it took this long to officially post it but yes, it’s Wayforward in Advance Wars!

Now I’m not saying working closely with Nintendo with discussions for this game likely occurring last year or even as far back as 2019 is necessarily a point in favor of Shantae in Smash... but it certainly isn’t a point against!

Top Bottom