• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
I have a good question about the copyright names for Smash seem to be perfectly fit to end like that and considering that we may get a new character from the same company already represents. If we do get a new character from different company like, “Koei Tecmo”, “WarForward Technologies Inc.” or Activision”, is it still going to fit in some way or it seems perfectly fit to end and we get a new character from a same company? I’m just actually curious about that.View attachment 319937
There's this:
1624123555580.png

There's still room for the bottom.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
How does everyone feel about Shantae's chances for being the final DLC fighter?
Pretty high honestly, we are on the endgame now, and the endgame for both pass 1 and base game were low notes. We aren't gonna end on a high note (meaning big, expensive, huge gaming icons type of picks such as Chief, Sora, Crash, etc). We ended with incineroar and byleth in Ultimate so far, so I definitely expect a low note to end pass 2 as well.

It's not even a fan prediction, it's a reasonable overall prediction based on the marketing strategy they have applied in Ultimate to get things selling:

To have the big guns towards no later than midway of the reveals in order to sell the PASS format, because after that certain point people will no longer care about buying the pass format, but individual characters instead, meaning less profit for Nintendo. This is why you haven't seen anything huge closing in base game nor pass 1. And no, Smash 4 isn't a reference here, that's a different previous game where the marketing strategy clearly differed from what they've been doing more organized in Ultimate.

If we were getting anything HUGE we would've gotten it in the placement where Min min or Pyra happened. Tekken was most likely the last big-ish (it's not really big in japan, tekken sold only well on the west) thing we were gonna get.

An indie such as Shantae or a huge fan demanded 1st party would definitely be your best bets on what will close this pass, don't expect anything bigger than that. The big 3rd party stuff already had its window for having a profitable effect on selling the pass format. That window is long closed by now since people know what they are interested or not with 90% of the pass already revealed, meaning the pass format most likely is not even selling anymore at this point.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Does anyone think Wayforward will include some of the Advance Wars cast in their holiday IP get-togethers on Twitter now?

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Thank you all so much for wishing my special day of birth, guys. It really means a lot to me. I’m always confident about how my day is going to be special by spending time with my family, hanging out with each other and celebrate a big special event of me turning 21.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Thank you all so much for wishing my special day of birth, guys. It really means a lot to me. I’m always confident about how my day is going to be special by spending time with my family, hanging out with each other and celebrate a big special event of me turning 21.
Happy Birthday and now you are in some places legally old enough to drink.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Pretty high honestly, we are on the endgame now, and the endgame for both pass 1 and base game were low notes. We aren't gonna end on a high note (meaning big, expensive, huge gaming icons type of picks such as Chief, Sora, Crash, etc). We ended with incineroar and byleth in Ultimate so far, so I definitely expect a low note to end pass 2 as well.

It's not even a fan prediction, it's a reasonable overall prediction based on the marketing strategy they have applied in Ultimate to get things selling:

To have the big guns towards no later than midway of the reveals in order to sell the PASS format, because after that certain point people will no longer care about buying the pass format, but individual characters instead, meaning less profit for Nintendo. This is why you haven't seen anything huge closing in base game nor pass 1. And no, Smash 4 isn't a reference here, that's a different previous game where the marketing strategy clearly differed from what they've been doing more organized in Ultimate.

If we were getting anything HUGE we would've gotten it in the placement where Min min or Pyra happened. Tekken was most likely the last big-ish (it's not really big in japan, tekken sold only well on the west) thing we were gonna get.

An indie such as Shantae or a huge fan demanded 1st party would definitely be your best bets on what will close this pass, don't expect anything bigger than that. The big 3rd party stuff already had its window for having a profitable effect on selling the pass format. That window is long closed by now since people know what they are interested or not with 90% of the pass already revealed, meaning the pass format most likely is not even selling anymore at this point.
Everything you said for the most part is true, except for Tekken's performance in Japan.
Lets review again the 20 best selling japanese IPs, excluding the one that were not originated in videogames (like Dragon Ball):

1) Final Fantasy
2) Sonic the Hedgehog
3) Resident Evil*
4) Dragon Quest
5) Monster Hunter*
6) Metal Gear
7) Tekken
8) Street Fighter
9) Pac-Man
10) Mega Man

11) Kingdom Hearts
12) Souls
13) Power Pros
14) Devil May Cry
15) Castlevania
16) Frogger
17) Simple
18) Tales
19) Megami Tensei (includes Persona)
20) Professor Layton

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Everything you said for the most part is true, except for Tekken's performance in Japan.
Let me rephrase it… in comparison to US and other regions, Tekken did the least good in Japan, by comparison. So I feel like, while sure tekken fans in japan were pleased, the west was even more pleased by its inclusion to the roster, just by the difference in sales of the series in general. Hence why I consider it to please western audiences the most out of everyone.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Let me rephrase it… in comparison to US and other regions, Tekken did the least good in Japan, by comparison. So I feel like, while sure tekken fans in japan were pleased, the west was even more pleased by its inclusion to the roster, just by the difference in sales of the series in general. Hence why I consider it to please western audiences the most out of everyone.
Fair enough. That, and Shantae would be a nice addition for sure, though others would argue based on interviews that Shantae was included in the game as a spirit because of an email sent out. It's a rather weak argument if you ask me, but they're sticking to it.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Just to clarify: PS1 Tekken 2 and 3 are the 5th and 6th best selling games namco/bandai games, other games above them are the first two tamagochi gameboy games, a dragon ball Z game (illegible to smash) and a baseball game.

There was a time Tekken was huge in japan. Is true that its sales have dropped with each entry, Tekken 7 on PS4 has sold at most 100-150k copies (10% of Tekken 2 and 3 sales) but that also happened to various japanese IPs. Example: Street Fighter peak was during its 2nd entry (SNES port sold 2.9 millions) and the 5th entry sold a maximum of 150k.

Tekken series its very big on its own, it has enough merits to be on smash.

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I like to think Sakurai was tired of waiting on revivals for SvC and Street Fighter x Tekken so he took matters into his own hands adding Ken, Terry and now Jin.

Edit: Whoops. I meant Kazuya. Dunno how I got that wrong.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I like to think Sakurai was tired of waiting on revivals for SvC and Street Fighter x Tekken so he took matters into his own hands adding Ken, Terry and now Jin.

Edit: Whoops. I meant Kazuya. Dunno how I got that wrong.
...But the thing is, Nintendo was the ones who wanted Terry and Kazuya. Sakurai only chose Ken on his own merits. The rest were suggested to him. It's safe to say this fun theory doesn't actually work well in context.

...Also, Jin also has a Devil Form. That's not odd to mistake a Devil Form user from another.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
...But the thing is, Nintendo was the ones who wanted Terry and Kazuya. Sakurai only chose Ken on his own merits. The rest were suggested to him. It's safe to say this fun theory doesn't actually work well in context.

...Also, Jin also has a Devil Form. That's not odd to mistake a Devil Form user from another.
Well of course Jin has a Devil Form. He is after all Kazuya's son. They really got an effed up family.

MattX20

Smash Hero
At this point, the only thing is whether or not Nintendo of Japan ultimately had Shantae on their list. They're the ones making the picks, so all we can do is wait

Dukefire

Smash Master
Again, speculation is best used to pass the time. To believe it as hard evidence isn't a great way to go.

Now, one figure remains in Sakurai's hidden drawer and it could be any character. Plus, we got then less a week before Sakurai showcases Kazuya's moveset, stage, music tracks and Mii Costumes.

MattX20

Smash Hero
My personal guess as to when FP11 will be revealed would be in September alongside the last general direct of the year since Directs are back on.

Dukefire

Smash Master
My personal guess as to when FP11 will be revealed would be in September alongside the last general direct of the year since Directs are back on.
Beginning of Fall will be the time to drop another direct. Of course, not everyone will be happy once Challenger 11 is revealed. I just don't know WHO it is, but we can still guess till the end.

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Okay, this interview apparently is the reason that some are using to argue Shantae being out of Smash DLC speculation https://www.siliconera.com/shantae-...antaes-past-present-and-future-shantae-anime/
How did Shantae end up as a Spirit in Super Smash Bros Ultimate and how much input did you have on it?

Bozon: We’ve been working with Nintendo for something like 25 years, and they know that we’re diehard fans. In this case we just sent over some artwork to be used at their discretion, on the off chance they could include her in some way. We didn’t know that she’d be a Spirit, or even what a Spirit was! We were shocked to see Shantae show up during a Smash Direct. It was awesome! Before that moment, we didn’t know any details. In cases like

that, our M.O. is to zip it and wait.

That's it? Seems pretty weak to swing a gavel one way or the other, and appropriate for the question while not being anywhere as fishy as Suda's "No comment".

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
How did Shantae end up as a Spirit in Super Smash Bros Ultimate and how much input did you have on it?

Bozon: We’ve been working with Nintendo for something like 25 years, and they know that we’re diehard fans. In this case we just sent over some artwork to be used at their discretion, on the off chance they could include her in some way. We didn’t know that she’d be a Spirit, or even what a Spirit was! We were shocked to see Shantae show up during a Smash Direct. It was awesome! Before that moment, we didn’t know any details. In cases like

That's it? Seems pretty weak to swing a gavel one way or the other, and appropriate for the question while not being anywhere as fishy as Suda's "No comment".
Especially since it’s in reference exclusively to something that would have taken place in the pre-release period, not anything after. Not to mention they chose to include two Shantae spirits when no other indie series barring Shovel Knight with his assist trophy were in the base game at all, and other series like Rayman and even series with in-game representation like Monster Hunter only had one spirit... so people claiming Shantae wasn’t even on Nintendo’s radar or other general put-downs are just grasping at straws.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Well, more ammo for those that want to shut down shantae.

Again, just hold out till the end of Smash DLC.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978

So did Nintendo reach out to 3rd parties developers in some way to encourage WF to do this or did they just decide to do it once Smash Ultimate had been made public?

ProtoTwi

Smash Ace
NNID
Proto-Twi
So did Nintendo reach out to 3rd parties developers in some way to encourage WF to do this or did they just decide to do it once Smash Ultimate had been made public?
Considering Shantae has been on Nintendo retail signage in the past, I'd bet it's just standard practice to send off official artwork to Nintendo for reasons like, Retail signage, and E-shop Banners.

Dukefire

Smash Master
Small news for those that have the Wii U. In responce to Metroid Dread coming months later, the eshop has the metroid titles in of the best selling games.

Really for the argument against shantae after one interview, is it almost equivalent to the window in the Shantae and the Seven Sirens opening.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I really have to apologise to any of you Shantae and Smash fans but Matthew Graphids tweeted about 6 years ago, it seems WayForward (desperately possibly) want Shantae in Smash for sending emails to us fans and people for their Kickstarter. I don’t how they re now after everything. I……I don’t know what to say. Any thoughts?https://twitter.com/MatttGFX/status/1408378172199026688

MattX20

Smash Hero
I really have to apologise to any of you Shantae and Smash fans but Matthew Graphids tweeted about 6 years ago, it seems WayForward (desperately possibly) want Shantae in Smash for sending emails to us fans and people for their Kickstarter. I don’t how they re now after everything. I……I don’t know what to say. Any thoughts?https://twitter.com/MatttGFX/status/1408378172199026688
...? Is there any actual proof of this?

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
...? Is there any actual proof of this?
I don’t think sources always need prove but I really don’t know. I cannot tell for certain that that’s his opinion or a fact about WayForward is desperate but if there’s something, I’m just really curious about those type of those Shantae situations but if it’s really the case about WayForward is that desperate about it and Nintendo would already be mad about it but still in the relationship, I have a personal thought about it but I won’t share. Keep that in mind, I’m just curious about certain things.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I don’t think sources always need prove but I really don’t know. I cannot tell for certain that that’s his opinion or a fact about WayForward is desperate but if there’s something, I’m just really curious about those type of those Shantae situations but if it’s really the case about WayForward is that desperate about it and Nintendo would already be mad about it but still in the relationship, I have a personal thought about it but I won’t share.
Considering the fact Nintendo trusted them to do a remake of the first two Advance Wars titles, I get the feeling the tweet is just a biased one against Wayforward in particular.

Top Bottom