• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace

It's understandable. Seeing as besides maybe the artbook launching later this month and the current nonexistent launch date for the Switch rerelease of GBC, there really isn't anything Shantae for me to talk about right now myself.

I finally started playing Ultimate last week, so that'll distract me until I decide to catch up on other Switch games, anyway.
Really? There's STILL no release date for Shantae 1 on Switch yet?

Also, yay Giga Mermaid 😍

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
So just feel like bringing it up but especially with the newest Sakurai column, it shows even more Rex was planned initially as the rep, meaning that 40 or so character list we've discussed might not be completely debunked just yet.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Really? There's STILL no release date for Shantae 1 on Switch yet?

Also, yay Giga Mermaid 😍
Nope. We're all baffled by this. I figure they might be holding it back for the 20th anniversary next year, others believe all their staff are busy working on other games (i.e. RWBY), but apart from that...

So just feel like bringing it up but especially with the newest Sakurai column, it shows even more Rex was planned initially as the rep, meaning that 40 or so character list we've discussed might not be completely debunked just yet.
Refresh my memory, but what was it again? Can't say I entirely trust it still.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
We just got Pyra and Mythra with the smash reveal on Feb 17. I say that the next character reveal may appear in either May or Early June in part of the E3 event.

If E3, then Sakurai and Nintendo may have plans to finish FP2's remaining challengers as a double reveal (I don't think they will do it again after Hero and Banjo & Kazooie's reveal in E3 2019) and thoughts about Smash Ulitmate's DLC.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
Bit of an unpopular opinion, but I actually hope the second Fighters Pass is the last Smash DLC we're getting, and it seems to be such. The last thing we need is the Smash Bros. debate raging on.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Do you have the list still? I kind of want to see it again to check.

Dukefire

Smash Master
I feel in between about DLC ending or a possible third pass. Whatever it is, tensions are starting to squeeze tightly as ONLY two spots remain (Nothing new within the Smash Speculation, just more salt to rush in depending on WHO's next).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On a side note, I bought the FP2 pass on Monday. I can proudly and officially say that I've contributed to the cause. :kirbsnow:

Bit of an unpopular opinion, but I actually hope the second Fighters Pass is the last Smash DLC we're getting, and it seems to be such. The last thing we need is the Smash Bros. debate raging on.
Well, probably, probably not. If the recent datamine is any indication, we might get one last batch that's a little smaller before the game can't take any more. Wouldn't expect the possibility to be confirmed before E3, at the very least (especially if FP2 sales are a motivator).

https://www.thegamer.com/smash-ultimate-fighters-pass-3/

But then again, this fanbase getting angry after an entry's support ends is nothing new, I've seen this happen all the time. If you really don't want to take the heat, just do what I do and ignore the board until the next major Nintendo console exists. It's not like anyone is tethered to it.

Last edited:

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
If Sakurai and his team are up to a third pass, I'm all for it. Even in the last two in EP2 were Shantae and Dixie (my top two wants) I would still welcome a third pass because more is always better and it would mean even more people get to have their favorite character added. Of course this is all if the Smash Devs would be happy about doing it, they have put so much time into this game that I would not begrudge any of them wanting to move on.

That aside, I just completed my 100% speed run of Seven Sirens. Making this the first Shantae game that I've gotten all the win screens for

Was surprised with how little time it took to clean up all the missed items from the super speed run.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
Do you have the list still? I kind of want to see it again to check.
Yeah.

Joker (starting since he’s already in)
Amaterasu
Arthur
Bandana Waddle Dee
Banjo
Bill Rizer
Byleth
Captain Toad
Chun-Li
Crash
Crono
Doom Slayer
Erdrick
Ezio
Flynn (SMTIV)
Heihachi
Jibanyan
Lana
Lara Croft
Leon S. Kennedy
Linkle
Lloyd
Lora (Torna)
Luminary
Monster Hunter
Phoenix Wright
Porky
Professor Layton
Rayman
Rex
Ryu Hayabusa
Sephiroth
Shantae
Sora
Spyro
Steve
Terra (FFVI)
Terry Bogard
Yu
Yuri (Tales of Vesperia)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, Lora was supposedly going to be a backup option if Pyra and Mythra didn't work, and Arthur and Monster Hunter are clearly out of the running. Should narrow it down a little, I guess.

If Sakurai and his team are up to a third pass, I'm all for it. Even in the last two in EP2 were Shantae and Dixie (my top two wants) I would still welcome a third pass because more is always better and it would mean even more people get to have their favorite character added. Of course this is all if the Smash Devs would be happy about doing it, they have put so much time into this game that I would not begrudge any of them wanting to move on.

That aside, I just completed my 100% speed run of Seven Sirens. Making this the first Shantae game that I've gotten all the win screens for

Was surprised with how little time it took to clean up all the missed items from the super speed run.
Of course they would. The only limit is how much more the game can take before crashing, so I assume they'd officially stop once that limit is reached.

I just hope that Sakurai would be able to remain financially stable when not working on any new games, given the current state of affairs.

That being said, have you considered a minimalist run to make things more challenging?

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Of course they would. The only limit is how much more the game can take before crashing, so I assume they'd officially stop once that limit is reached.
I still don't think of third Fighters Pass is happening. As for how much space the game holds, just because there IS enough room for more characters, that doesn't mean that Sakurai, or Bandai Namco, or Nintendo are obligated to fill them. Sakurai himself even said that there's only 2 characters left to go in the Pyra Presentation, and it's LONG since been confirmed that Fighter Pass 2 is Smash Ultimate's final DLC wave.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm just saying that it's hypothetical at the moment. Not that anyone would ever believe me (as usual).

Anywho, for convenience's sake, let's see how the "list" would be like as it stands right now.

Joker (starting since he’s already in) 👌
Amaterasu
Arthur
Bandana Waddle Dee
Banjo 👌
Bill Rizer
Byleth 👌
Captain Toad
Chun-Li
Crash
Crono
Doom Slayer
Erdrick 👌
Ezio (?)
Flynn (SMTIV)
Heihachi
Jibanyan
Lana
Lara Croft
Leon S. Kennedy
Linkle
Lloyd
Lora (Torna)
Luminary 👌
Monster Hunter
Phoenix Wright
Porky
Professor Layton
Rayman
Rex
Ryu Hayabusa
Sephiroth 👌
Shantae
Sora
Spyro
Steve 👌
Terra (FFVI)
Terry Bogard 👌
Yu
Yuri (Tales of Vesperia)
A decent chunk is out or in, but there's still a ways to go. Depending on how much DLC there's allegedly left, I could see one more Nintendo character added, with the other(s) being third-party. If this list is real at all, anyway.

Last edited:

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
A decent chunk is out or in, but there's still a ways to go. Depending on how much DLC there's allegedly left, I could see one more Nintendo character added, with the other(s) being third-party. If this list is real at all, anyway.
Don't forget that Yu (or the Persona 4 Protagonist) is also a Mii costume, likely ruling him out too.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Ok Guys, its come to my attention that Good Smile Company is asking fans what series should become a Nendoroid next. I think its time we let them know we want our girl Shantae to become a Nendoroid!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Ok Guys, its come to my attention that Good Smile Company is asking fans what series should become a Nendoroid next. I think its time we let them know we want our girl Shantae to become a Nendoroid!
The more Shantae merchandise the better even though we are getting a lot of that already. I'm voting for my boy Goemon since Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja is my favorite video game franchise of all time and I want to see more merchandise from that. But if not Goemon, I would like to see Shantae get a Nendoroid.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
my :ultbayonetta: Nendo wish became real after I asked for it on that Sega survey
I'm getting on this, pronto.

By the way, big news on the indie front: a brand-new 80s TMNT game is coming from DotEmu and Tribute Games! Needless to say, LRG are rejoicing.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Heroes in the Half Shell. Turtle Power! The nostalgia from watching the show (1987 and 2003 version) on DVD and playing the arcade games.

Well, hope to see some news about Shantae GBC soon. With March and the worldwide pandemic slowing down, I do see that the companies will be able to gain traction. Sure it may take a while, but a change to resume normal pace one step at a time.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
On a side note, I bought the FP2 pass on Monday. I can proudly and officially say that I've contributed to the cause. :kirbsnow:

Well, probably, probably not. If the recent datamine is any indication, we might get one last batch that's a little smaller before the game can't take any more. Wouldn't expect the possibility to be confirmed before E3, at the very least (especially if FP2 sales are a motivator).

https://www.thegamer.com/smash-ultimate-fighters-pass-3/

But then again, this fanbase getting angry after an entry's support ends is nothing new, I've seen this happen all the time. If you really don't want to take the heat, just do what I do and ignore the board until the next major Nintendo console exists. It's not like anyone is tethered to it.
I've heard people talk about this third fighter's pass, but how does Mythra and Pyra's situation change the likelihood of this happening? This isn't a new datamine, it was done shortly after Joker came out in 2019, https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019...s-set-aside-world-light-according-data-miner/. The only thing that changed with Mythra and Pyra is that they turned out to each take a slot instead of one. I guess I'm just not seeing how this raises the chances of a third pass any more than it ever did.

Placeholders were added in Smash 4 too actually, but only with incremental updates. That's partially what led to people finding out about Ryu and Roy I think. It sounds like this time Nintendo was just like "screw it, we're adding a huge block of placeholders in case we want an extra season of DLC characters and we won't need to update the file system". Not to say it couldn't be done and that we won't get a Pass 3. But also not to say it couldn't be updated to include 20 more slots and have a Pass 3, 4, and 5.

I personally feel like Pass 2 might be it, but wouldn't really surprise me if they make another or do a couple standalone (Piranha Plant-esque) either.

Dukefire

Smash Master
E3 may be the final piece to see if Sakurai and the Smash Team are done with DLC or they have a little fuel left to burn. (AKA little more profit Nintendo can get.)

Just don't get too worked up as some tends to let the hype train go faster under false hope and speculation.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've heard people talk about this third fighter's pass, but how does Mythra and Pyra's situation change the likelihood of this happening? This isn't a new datamine, it was done shortly after Joker came out in 2019, https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2019...s-set-aside-world-light-according-data-miner/. The only thing that changed with Mythra and Pyra is that they turned out to each take a slot instead of one. I guess I'm just not seeing how this raises the chances of a third pass any more than it ever did.

Placeholders were added in Smash 4 too actually, but only with incremental updates. That's partially what led to people finding out about Ryu and Roy I think. It sounds like this time Nintendo was just like "screw it, we're adding a huge block of placeholders in case we want an extra season of DLC characters and we won't need to update the file system". Not to say it couldn't be done and that we won't get a Pass 3. But also not to say it couldn't be updated to include 20 more slots and have a Pass 3, 4, and 5.

I personally feel like Pass 2 might be it, but wouldn't really surprise me if they make another or do a couple standalone (Piranha Plant-esque) either.
According to some analysts, the game is pretty much reaching its limit to how much stage content it can have, so they could use what space they have left to fill it out properly and make the UI look clean. In these circumstances, I can only see one season of support left if the code really can't be tweaked to have much more than that.

And I was only expecting three seasons in the first place, so no biggie. The way I see it, it would be the dessert following the entrée, appetizer and main course.

Last edited:

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I think a third pass would make sense to extend the life of ultimate even further if its true that the switch's lifespan is only halfway over but think after fighter's pass 2 Sakurai and his team deserves an intermission to work on a different project for a while. Either way I'm satisfied with the amount of newcomers we got along with who was included. Getting Shantae would be the cherry on top for me.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think a third pass would make sense to extend the life of ultimate even further if its true that the switch's lifespan is only halfway over but think after fighter's pass 2 Sakurai and his team deserves an intermission to work on a different project for a while. Either way I'm satisfied with the amount of newcomers we got along with who was included. Getting Shantae would be the cherry on top for me.
The only issue is that the...crisis kind of makes it difficult for Sak and the staff to go anywhere for gathering resources for a new game right now, so they could be able to do one last batch while waiting for that to blow over. Granted, Sora itself is literally just Sak and his wife, but still.

In the meantime, let's just wait and see what happens. If scheduling is still out of whack ever since :ultminmin's reveal, we might hear something around May.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
I usually don’t talk much around here because of all that before but I want to say something.

I personally believe FP3 won’t occur because of how far it has been ever since Smash Ultimate start developed back in 2015 probably eighth after Smash 4 is fully complete. It has been 6 years since Sakurai been working and working and working almost endlessly. I can imagine how insane it is to design, model and animate everything into action in video game testing platform before converting into final project before adding in the full game. I just think it’s time for Sakurai to have well deserving break for few years until next Nintendo generation console released and then Sakurai cango back developing Smash 6 if it’ll happen in the future somewhere. If there’s somehow FP3, I won’t be surprised because I think we already reached the absolute but if this what Sakurai wants, it’s all on him and Nintendo. Also what if Octoling from Splatoon 2 comes to Smash DLC? Pyra/Mythra has been added probably from the fans but also adding more Xenoblade contents. It would equaled to Octoling being added for more Splatoon contents as well. Kind of like Sephiroth as a villain equaling to any villains joining Smash like Dr. Eggman or any villain from original games but mainly Sephiroth was in because the lack of FF contents

LaBeteNoire

Smash Lord
I'm getting on this, pronto.

By the way, big news on the indie front: a brand-new 80s TMNT game is coming from DotEmu and Tribute Games! Needless to say, LRG are rejoicing.

LGR did the exact same thing when the Scott Pilgrim re-release got announced. Here comes a super expensive collectors edition that I have to get because I have been wanting a new turtles game like this for ages...

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
LGR did the exact same thing when the Scott Pilgrim re-release got announced. Here comes a super expensive collectors edition that I have to get because I have been wanting a new turtles game like this for ages...
Same here. We've come a long way since the Pizza Hut coupon for TMNT II: The Arcade Game on NES, haven't we?

That said, I have a feeling that they'll release the game for the cartoon's 35th anniversary next year, which might be why there's no release date at the moment.

Also what if Octoling from Splatoon 2 comes to Smash DLC? Pyra/Mythra has been added probably from the fans but also adding more Xenoblade contents. It would equaled to Octoling being added for more Splatoon contents as well. Kind of like Sephiroth as a villain equaling to any villains joining Smash like Dr. Eggman or any villain from original games but mainly Sephiroth was in because the lack of FF contents
Personally, I think they'd add at least one of Off The Hook's members, seeing as they only have a spirit and the Squid Sisters got the one-two-three punch of a spirit, an AT and Mii costumes.

Of course, that's assuming they won't skip to Splatoon 3 for content.

Last edited:

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Same here. We've come a long way since the Pizza Hut coupon for TMNT II: The Arcade Game on NES, haven't we?

That said, I have a feeling that they'll release the game for the cartoon's 35th anniversary next year, which might be why there's no release date at the moment.

Personally, I think they'd add at least one of Off The Hook's members, seeing as they only have a spirit and the Squid Sisters got the one-two-three punch of a spirit, an AT and Mii costumes.

Of course, that's assuming they won't skip to Splatoon 3 for content.
Ok. I mean we already got Xenoblade 2 Mii costume, “Nia” before Pyra/Mythra so they can still add some bit more Splatoon 2 contents

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Yeah, all of the character trailers do nods to the character's original series. From Terry, the entire company as a whole.

Ex. King K Rool buried under a rock like Gruntilda's fate in B&K 1. Sephiroth's sinister nature from FF VII and the FF VII Advent Children movie.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, all of the character trailers do nods to the character's original series. From Terry, the entire company as a whole.

Ex. King K Rool buried under a rock like Gruntilda's fate in B&K 1. Sephiroth's sinister nature from FF VII and the FF VII Advent Children movie.
I can imagine Six from Little Nightmares series joining Smash as DLC for more Bandai Namco content and Lloyd will return as mii costume or we get them in the opposite way with Lloyd as playable and Six as mii. After all, we only got PAC Man then again, he’s already respresenting the whole franchise and Bandai Namco works for Smash. I just think Bandai Namco deserves more contents for having Six from Little Nightmares series being playable or Lloyd from Tales Of series. Mono from Little Nightmares 2 can be an alt, spirit or mii costume alongside with Lloyd

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
I'm taking a crack at that list.

Confirmed: Joker, Banjo, Byleth, Erdrick, Luminary, Rex (Sort of), Sephiroth, Steve, Terry Bogard

Disconfirmed: Arthur, Ezio (Altair tho), Heihachi, Leon S. Kennedy, Monster Hunter, Yu (Persona 4 protagonist Mii)

Likely shot down for Sephiroth: Crono, Terra, Sora, maybe Lara Croft

Likely shot down for Pyra/Mythra: Lora

Their company has Miis in Vol. 2: Amaterasu, Chun-Li, Doom Slayer, Phoenix Wright

That leaves us with...

Nintendo: Bandana Waddle Dee, Captain Toad, Lana, Linkle, Porky...Min-Min suggests they can change their selection in a short time due to no negotiations being necessary. A possible Gematsu situation, if you will.

Konami: Bill Rizer

Activision: Crash, Spyro

Atlus: Flynn

Level-5: Jibanyan, Professor Layton

Namco: Lloyd, Yuri

Ubisoft: Rayman

Koei Tecmo: Ryu Hayabusa

WayForward: Shantae

Nicalis: Quote

I'm going to wait another reveal before swinging my gavel on this.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Let's help Mr. Bozon with this.

It's funny that Bozon is as enthusiastic about pushing his fans to unite to vote for the reality that a Shantae Nendoroid happens as he was about pushing us to go vote for Shantae in the Smash Ballot. Not that this is a bad thing as it's a good sign he cares and loves the Shantae fanbase. It's weird he hasn't really replied to fans about the possibility of Shantae in Ultimate aside from when she was confirmed as a Spirit. If he's under a NDA and she's in, he can just lie or say anything aside from saying "Yes she's in" or confirming she's in. I think Bozon has been suspiciously quiet about the topic of Shantae in Smash the past 2 years as he would reply a lot to people about this question back during the Smash Ballot days. Sometimes, I think Bozon knows more than he is leaning all of us on as well as WayForward.

SebTheGamer

Smash Journeyman
It's funny that Bozon is as enthusiastic about pushing his fans to unite to vote for the reality that a Shantae Nendoroid happens as he was about pushing us to go vote for Shantae in the Smash Ballot. Not that this is a bad thing as it's a good sign he cares and loves the Shantae fanbase. It's weird he hasn't really replied to fans about the possibility of Shantae in Ultimate aside from when she was confirmed as a Spirit. If he's under a NDA and she's in, he can just lie or say anything aside from saying "Yes she's in" or confirming she's in. I think Bozon has been suspiciously quiet about the topic of Shantae in Smash the past 2 years as he would reply a lot to people about this question back during the Smash Ballot days. Sometimes, I think Bozon knows more than he is leaning all of us on as well as WayForward.
In my honest opinion thought, I think they’re just toying with us for mixed-up reasons.

Jorichi

Smash Apprentice
I do agree the behavior of WayForward around Smash is a bit suspicious.
But on the other hand, what else could they do?
Outright saying Shantae's is in is obviously something they can't do, true or not.
But disconfirming it would pretty much deflate speculation around her in a snap. It'd take the fun out of it for us, them, Sakurai and his team and everyone else involved. Again, whether she'd be in or not.
Whilst remaining quiet is their best bet, it's a bit too quiet. Everything even remotely relating to Smash is expertly avoided to the point that it raises eyebrows of fans of a franchises that's often pretty open and active with its fans.

I don't think they'd behave like that for publicity reasons. I think they're just afraid to be poking a beehive, acting a bit out of character because of it. So it's not really something you can read into for clues to see whether she's a fighter or not.
It's just very hard to deal with very eager and overly enthusiastic fans. No matter how you phrase things, people will read into it and try to spin it their way.
Hopefully, at the end of Smash Ultimate's development, we can get some answers on how they saw their position on the whole speculation cycle.
I'd be interested to see how things went for them. Or especially how Sakurai saw things on Shantae, whether she's a fighter or not.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
At this point for me it's not about Smash anymore but thinking they really are serious about celebrating Shantae's 20th anniversary next year.

I mean why else would there still be no release date for the first game's Switch port. I've never seen any third-party company show this amount of restraint for re-releasing the first game for their own landmark series.

Top Bottom