• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I misunderstood. So let's chill.

As for Fire Emblem...
Again, given how much of an FE fanboy he is, I can see Sakurai pulling in yet another Fire Emblem character.
Yeah that ain’t happening. I get people like to meme about Fire Emblem Bad And Overrepresented but don’t just blindly assume Sakurai adds them out of fanboyism. Every Fire Emblem rep aside from Marth has come out in service of a new game. There is no new Fire Emblem game, and no reason to add another

Unless we’re talking Heroes. Reginn the cyber centaur for Smash and don’t even question me.
726C05CF-C5E6-4A38-95DB-74C42903C2CC.png

...And because I know someone could take this seriously, no, Fire Emblem Heroes is not going to make an appearance in the Smash DLC.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Quick question: I've been hearing about this "Concert Leak" on Youtube that apparently leaked the remaining two fighters in Vol. 2. Can anyone explain to me what that's about?

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
He outright said he was worried about adding another FE character, so i beleive its safe to say we aren't getting any more from that game this time. I doubt we will see any mew FE till the next game
Yeah that ain’t happening. I get people like to meme about Fire Emblem Bad And Overrepresented but don’t just blindly assume Sakurai adds them out of fanboyism. Every Fire Emblem rep aside from Marth has come out in service of a new game. There is no new Fire Emblem game, and no reason to add another

Unless we’re talking Heroes. Reginn the cyber centaur for Smash and don’t even question me.
View attachment 305085
...And because I know someone could take this seriously, no, Fire Emblem Heroes is not going to make an appearance in the Smash DLC.
Sorry, but knowing his history, I won't rule out another Fire Emblem character.

I know he says he is concerned about new Fire Emblem characters.
He did it back in Smash 4.
And yet he did it again in Ultimate.

So yeah, I can't trust his words.
Just like I cannot trust his "It's gonna be the last Smash Game", that he is saying every single time, with each new game.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Sorry, but knowing his history, I won't rule out another Fire Emblem character.

I know he says he is concerned about new Fire Emblem characters.
He did it back in Smash 4.
And yet he did it again in Ultimate.

So yeah, I can't trust his words.
Just like I cannot trust his "It's gonna be the last Smash Game", that he is saying every single time, with each new game.
I think you are being paranoid. There are litteraly no new FE games to pull someone from, and the only popular one is Lyn who is an assist trophy and i doubt sakurai would promote her over any other one

Dukefire

Smash Master
I think we should halt it here. We are creating another demon that shouldn't exist here since we already know it isn't possible no more.
Screenshot_20210224-203248_YouTube.jpg

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Quick question: I've been hearing about this "Concert Leak" on Youtube that apparently leaked the remaining two fighters in Vol. 2. Can anyone explain to me what that's about?
Whether it's fake or not, someone posted a list of songs that nintendo is apparently planning to make a concert with, and that post was after sephiroth, and every fighter we got so far had music for them in the list except Ken, and they had listed a xenoblade chronicles 2 song after sephiroth, which matched with Pyra and Mythra getting in.

According to the songs after the XC2 ones, Crash and Monster Hunter could be the last characters, because songs from them were there.
The monster hunter one is the same we already have in the game though, but since the rest were in order, people still think monster hunter could be the last one.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
There was a list of 90+ songs posted on a site like 4chan, with the post claiming that it was a setlist for a three hour long Smash concert that ended with a song from Xenoblade Chronicles 2, a song from Monster Hunter, and a song from Crash Bandicoot. It was posted in January, but it had songs for every character but Ken (which is a weird omission), and if that was a setlist for a concert, each song would have to be less than two minutes long for it to fit into three hours. (and that's without any sort of intermission)

Like a lot of anonymous text-only leaks, it doesn't seem super reliable - there were a few alleged leaks from before December that listed Sephiroth but got the rest of the characters wrong.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as I see, Ultimate is seemingly ignoring mobile stuff for no reason, even Dr. Mario World, so I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

That reminds me, whatever happened with those 30 milestones?
They kind of tapered off before they even reached 30. Probably shouldn't have skipped so many games.

Honestly, leaks and speculation isn't worth holding onto since Smash info is in a sealed vault.

As stated many times before.
View attachment 305096
If I had a pound for every text "leak", I wouldn't even need my weekly paycheque to earn funds for the e-shop.

The best policy is educated guesses based on what's been found before, I'd say. :cheersleo:

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
As i said in other places, i really do not think this roster is getting leaked at all. Sakurai and nintendo have been to tight lipped about this so far. The only leaks that will happen are accidental ones like the snk copyright.

I think the only think that will help point us to possibilities are the current theory if everyone in pass 2 missing out on base roster or long negotiations. That is a very likely theory that all 4 fighters share right now

Dukefire

Smash Master
Min Min- Since Spring Man is already an Assist Trophy and Ultimate was already finished in development before ARMS was finished.
Pyra and Mythra- Since Rex was a Mii Costume and the game was developed after Ultimate was finished.
Sephiroth- FFVII representation with more music and spirits to come along after so little content present before challenger 8.
Steve- Arguable one of the Biggest Games with a lot of people playing. So stands to reason not to include them. Of course, it was a 5 year negotiations since Smash 4's development

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I think you are being paranoid. There are litteraly no new FE games to pull someone from, and the only popular one is Lyn who is an assist trophy and i doubt sakurai would promote her over any other one
Paranoid, how?
All I am saying is that it wouldn't surprise me if this pass would have another Fire Emblem character, considering Sak's favouritism.

And didn't the man himself say, that new game releases don't matter, when it comes to making new Smash characters?

zferolie

Smash Hero
Paranoid, how?
All I am saying is that it wouldn't surprise me if this pass would have another Fire Emblem character, considering Sak's favouritism.

And didn't the man himself say, that new game releases don't matter, when it comes to making new Smash characters?
Thats the thing, what favortisim? Sakurai has put in a bunch of FE characters, where where has he said he has favorited them? He was against adding byleth till others convinced him it would be unique. Pretty sure that was the same for corrin in an interview. Chrom got in due to being an echo.

If anything, Sakurai acknowledges the view of too many FE, and has to be convinced.

Comedic Comrade

Smash Journeyman
If the Monster Hunter Mii Costume returns, then the song leak will automatically be deconfirmed. Besides, I feel like Pyra and Mythra have closed the book on leaks once and for all, given the fact that nobody predicted them, like with Sephiroth. Pyra and Mythra's inclusion seems to indicate that all info is secure behind Nintendo's vault and will never be getting out.

On a side note, would Silent Hill in Smash work? They could add either Harry Mason, James Sunderland, Heather Mason or any other protagonist from the series as a playable character.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
Thats the thing, what favortisim? Sakurai has put in a bunch of FE characters, where where has he said he has favorited them? He was against adding byleth till others convinced him it would be unique. Pretty sure that was the same for corrin in an interview. Chrom got in due to being an echo.

If anything, Sakurai acknowledges the view of too many FE, and has to be convinced.
Citation needed.

Either way, it's very well known that Sakurai is a massive fan of Fire Emblem.
And as great and dedicated as the man is, he certainly is not without his flaws.
Certain characters and franchises have always gotten preferred treatment over others.
It's very apparent with Kirby, Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Personally, I don't see a new Fire Emblem fighter happening with this Pass, mainly because as far as we know, there's no new game in the series yet. So unless they started working on one as early as November 2019 (aka the point where the choices for Vol. 2 were finalized) and Sakurai was given exclusive early access to it, I don't see another FE fighter being in Volume 2.

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
dlewis53 dlewis53
Again, a new Fire Emblem character can happen, even if there are no new releases.
If Sakurai wants yet another Fire Emblem character, it will happen.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
dlewis53 dlewis53
Again, a new Fire Emblem character can happen, even if there are no new releases.
If Sakurai wants yet another Fire Emblem character, it will happen.
But how will he actually represent the new character well if he only has incomplete builds to go off of? He doesn't want to repeat the mistakes made with Roy.

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman
But how will he actually represent the new character well if he only has incomplete builds to go off of? He doesn't want to repeat the mistakes made with Roy.
Let’s just bring an end to this debate. It’s a pointless back and forth. If he wants to believe Sakurai will add another Fire Emblem re because ooooh big scary Sakurai bias (whatever happened to all the worry about Nintendo being the one choosing the reps again?) then we clearly won’t convince him otherwise.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Smash Lord
I mean, hey, if it doesn't happen, it's all good.
But as of right now, I wouldn't rule it out completely.

zferolie

Smash Hero
If the Monster Hunter Mii Costume returns, then the song leak will automatically be deconfirmed. Besides, I feel like Pyra and Mythra have closed the book on leaks once and for all, given the fact that nobody predicted them, like with Sephiroth. Pyra and Mythra's inclusion seems to indicate that all info is secure behind Nintendo's vault and will never be getting out.

On a side note, would Silent Hill in Smash work? They could add either Harry Mason, James Sunderland, Heather Mason or any other protagonist from the series as a playable character.
Also if we get a spirit event for rise i think thats a big hit against monster hunter characters as well

Citation needed.

Either way, it's very well known that Sakurai is a massive fan of Fire Emblem.
And as great and dedicated as the man is, he certainly is not without his flaws.
Certain characters and franchises have always gotten preferred treatment over others.
It's very apparent with Kirby, Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem.
On phone during for so cant find the links now sadly.

Also while sakurai has a personal bias for KI and Kirby... we haven't gotten a new rep from those series since 4 and brawl respectively. So if he really was giving his bias games more characters we would have had medusa and bandana waddle dee and Adelain in smash by now

Dukefire

Smash Master
I probably think Smash Ultimate may do that as properties that belongs to the company with collaboration, it is likely it could happen.

To name a few

Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default II: Square Enix

BoTW Age of Calamity: Nintendo

Resident Evil: Capcom

Edit: To those that want to hear some announcements for the Playstation, The State of Play is beginning shortly

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So this might be somewhat unrelated, but I wanted your guys' opinions on something:

Tomorrow I'm planning on purchasing Shantae and the Seven Sirens and finally play all the Shantae games (at least, until they finally get around to that re-release of the original game), but after that, I'm wanting to get back into one of four RPGs that I started (but haven't finished yet), so I wanted your guys' opinions on which one I should try to finish first.

The options are:

Final Fantasy VII
Dragon Quest XI S
Chrono Trigger on the DS
Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Teeb147

Smash Legend
So this might be somewhat unrelated, but I wanted your guys' opinions on something:

Tomorrow I'm planning on purchasing Shantae and the Seven Sirens and finally play all the Shantae games (at least, until they finally get around to that re-release of the original game), but after that, I'm wanting to get back into one of four RPGs that I started (but haven't finished yet), so I wanted your guys' opinions on which one I should try to finish first.

The options are:

Final Fantasy VII
Dragon Quest XI S
Chrono Trigger on the DS
Which one do you feel like playing? XD

Alternatively, chrono trigger is a short-ish rpg (in rpg standards) so if you want something shorter and sweet then that's a good classic.

Last edited:

Dukefire

Smash Master
Fire Emblem Three Houses: There are three houses with each of their own routes to take and units available to start with. You choose how your unit grows and if they live or die (you can choose casual if you want a chill game)with 4 total routes in game. (5 if you bought DLC)
Dragon Quest XI S is a long RPG with plenty of tasks and grinding to keep you busy as the story unfolds both 2D and 3D version.
Final Fantasy VII: Like Dragon Quest in RPG and if you are ok with the battle system of the party of three. If you feel you want to go god mode for a battle, there is a cheat that allows your party to boost their stats and have max limit at your leisure.
Chrono Trigger: not too familiar with the game, but it is fun with the time travel aspect to change the future.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Fire Emblem Three Houses: There are three houses with each of their own routes to take and units available to start with. You choose how your unit grows and if they live or die (you can choose casual if you want a chill game)with 4 total routes in game. (5 if you bought DLC)
Dragon Quest XI S is a long RPG with plenty of tasks and grinding to keep you busy as the story unfolds both 2D and 3D version.
Final Fantasy VII: Like Dragon Quest in RPG and if you are ok with the battle system of the party of three. If you feel you want to go god mode for a battle, there is a cheat that allows your party to boost their stats and have max limit at your leisure.
Chrono Trigger: not too familiar with the game, but it is fun with the time travel aspect to change the future.
I'm aware of this; I've already started each of these games, but the problem is that I kind of stopped playing them, so they've been sitting on my backlog for a while now. I wanted to finish them, but I'm having trouble deciding which one to finish first.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'm aware of this; I've already started each of these games, but the problem is that I kind of stopped playing them, so they've been sitting on my backlog for a while now. I wanted to finish them, but I'm having trouble deciding which one to finish first.
Only you know what you feel like playing ;)
Fire emblem is the only one what isn't a normal rpg. If you feel like playing a strategy rpg, obvious choice ;p. ff7 if you feel like blocky textures, chrono for 2d, and dq for good 3d.

that help? :p

Schonberg

Smash Journeyman

The options are:

Final Fantasy VII
Dragon Quest XI S
Chrono Trigger on the DS
-For FF7, is that the original or the remake? The original is great but definitely has some pacing issues towards the middle, but I might put this one as the lowest priority out of your list.

-Highly recommend DQXIS, it’s as classic as you can get in the modern era of RPGs, the characters are endearing, and the designs and world are as whimsical and Toriyama as ever. However, the music might get a bit grating - as amazing as the orchestrated score is, it’s remarkably short by DQ standards, so expect to hear a lot of repeated tracks. And I personally dropped the game in the last third - you can pretty clearly tell by major story beats what the first third, second third, and final third of the game are. I think the first third is classic JRPG goodness, the second third is utterly spectacular and might be one of my favorite JRPG sequences in years... and then the final third kinda dropped the ball for me in gameplay and especially in the story.

-Chrono Trigger is always a classic that stands the rest of time as well now as it does as ever. It’s by far the shortest game on your list, so I might recommend that just on convenience. Besides that, not much else to say besides that the battle mechanics are great and the story is JRPG perfection.

-Three Houses I also can’t recommend highly enough. The SRPG format and life/class management features Polish the game to a T without making the sim stuff uber necessary to perfect outside of Lunatic difficulty. And the best thing about it is that with multiple routes, you can play one route, and let the game rest for a bit if you want to play something else, then come back to a completely different story experience. Black Eagles forever

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

The options are:

Final Fantasy VII
Dragon Quest XI S
Chrono Trigger on the DS
You honestly can't go wrong with any of them. In terms of time, I think Chrono Trigger is shorter (about 20 hours, going by HowLongToBeat.com, though it's been a while since I played it and it depends on your playstyle). Final Fantasy VII took me about 35 hours, Fire Emblem Three Houses took about 35-40 hours for me to beat one story, and Dragon Quest XI took about 110 hours (though that was with me intentionally trying to completely fill the bestiary, which meant a lot of grinding for rare monsters and taking on the post-game super-boss).

All of them are amazing (Final Fantasy VII's overworld graphics might be dated, but it more than lives up to its reputation). If I had to narrow it down to two, I'd say Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VII - those seem like games that you absolutely have to play at some point. Plus, Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem are much easier to put down and come back to later, since FE is mission-based and Dragon Quest has a recap whenever you start the game (along with markers on the map showing you where to go).

Last edited:

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
I think I'll have to get the FF7 remake on ps5 since it'll have Yuffie.
..I don't have a ps5 tho :O

She's a PS5 only thing?! Aw **** you, Square that damn is still impossible to buy due to scalpers, I have a 500 gift card specifically for it and I can't use it cause Best buy is still out

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think I'll have to get the FF7 remake on ps5 since it'll have Yuffie.
..I don't have a ps5 tho :O

Well I finally have a good reason to get a PS5.... when I can actually find one. Yuffie was by far my fav from that game. Best girl

dlewis53

Smash Lord
-For FF7, is that the original or the remake? The original is great but definitely has some pacing issues towards the middle, but I might put this one as the lowest priority out of your list.

-Highly recommend DQXIS, it’s as classic as you can get in the modern era of RPGs, the characters are endearing, and the designs and world are as whimsical and Toriyama as ever. However, the music might get a bit grating - as amazing as the orchestrated score is, it’s remarkably short by DQ standards, so expect to hear a lot of repeated tracks. And I personally dropped the game in the last third - you can pretty clearly tell by major story beats what the first third, second third, and final third of the game are. I think the first third is classic JRPG goodness, the second third is utterly spectacular and might be one of my favorite JRPG sequences in years... and then the final third kinda dropped the ball for me in gameplay and especially in the story.

-Chrono Trigger is always a classic that stands the rest of time as well now as it does as ever. It’s by far the shortest game on your list, so I might recommend that just on convenience. Besides that, not much else to say besides that the battle mechanics are great and the story is JRPG perfection.

-Three Houses I also can’t recommend highly enough. The SRPG format and life/class management features Polish the game to a T without making the sim stuff uber necessary to perfect outside of Lunatic difficulty. And the best thing about it is that with multiple routes, you can play one route, and let the game rest for a bit if you want to play something else, then come back to a completely different story experience. Black Eagles forever
I guess I should clarify that when I start playing these games again, my aim is to primarily just get to and defeat the final boss.

For FFVII, it's the original and last I checked I was past the mountainous maze area that you get to after a certain...spoilerly scene involved Sephiroth.

For DQXI, I had just finished the second dungeon (I think) and got the twin blonde sisters to join my party.

For Chrono Trigger, I was still early enough that I'm considering just starting from scratch with that one.

And for Three Houses, I'm on the Golden Deer route relatively early after the time-skip, and I have yet to do the other three routes yet.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I guess I should clarify that when I start playing these games again, my aim is to primarily just get to and defeat the final boss.

For FFVII, it's the original and last I checked I was past the mountainous maze area that you get to after a certain...spoilerly scene involved Sephiroth.

For DQXI, I had just finished the second dungeon (I think) and got the twin blonde sisters to join my party.

For Chrono Trigger, I was still early enough that I'm considering just starting from scratch with that one.

And for Three Houses, I'm on the Golden Deer route relatively early after the time-skip, and I have yet to do the other three routes yet.
I'm just finishing my play through Dragon Quest XI S and it's one of the RPGs I've had the most fun with in a while. It captures the things that I really liked about turn based games in the past, but offers ways to quickly finish battles (Fast / Very Fast battle speed), minimal random encounters (only the ocean), and if you don't mind the fights being a little harder, you can skip level grinding all together (though getting skill points to build out your tree is satisfying too). It's a bit long.

I didn't have a PS during the original FFVII release and I recently tried to go back and play it and while it might be a masterpiece of a game back in its day, the pacing and progression speed with transitions and gameplay felt too much of a slog and I didn't finish the 1st disc. My fault, really, I know there are people that like it a lot. I've gotten spoiled by faster paced games and smooth loading and stuff of the current gens.

Chrono Trigger is probably the shortest of these but it's been so long since I played it. I'm actually not sure if I ever finished it or not since I remember renting it from a Blockbuster type place in the past as a kid.

I haven't played Three Houses but I've played most of the other Fire Emblems. Assuming it's like the others, I think you'll know if you're in the mood to play Fire Emblem. The series started to lose a tiny bit of appeal to me when they started introducing ways to grind levels and things. The game with Lyn and the JP only ones before that didn't allow you to replay levels or fight random skirmishes, so I used to like that you had to strategically choose who to use and level up. I have still liked the games, but the OG ones were definitely my favorite. Haven't played Three Houses though, maybe I'd love it. I'll have to give it a try.

My personal 2 cents is DQ XI, but they're all different types of games, so really whichever you're feeling is probably the one to go with. They're all good games (from what I hear of the ones I haven't played, hah).

Last edited:

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Trolling
Yea! Now we can see her down B counter and final smash that's just her slashing at one enemy:\

He had said " This would never happen but imagine if we got an ARMS reveal for the next fighter. " The second part of that sentence is what he was saying would never happen, not anything located in the thread beforehand.

I also think Fire Emblem's DLC in Smash is done for this game. So much that I'd be willing to bet a Switch or something, hah. if
I'd be willing to be you the last character will be a FE character. Heck, the last two characters will be from Persona, FE, Pokemon, or King of Fighters. One thing you gotta understand is that Sakurai does/doesn't do thing in-spite of the player base(He says there are too many sword users but then makes the majority of characters added into smash sword users.) And INB4 "Nintendo chose the characters." He did - https://twitter.com/sora_sakurai/status/1059958604818657282?lang=en ( Sakurai did go to the owner of Atlus and asked for that anime guy + he did say no to Cuphead.)

The last character will be a FE character just to piss people off and give everyone the finger.

I'd be nice if Smash was an actual celebration of gaming and not a celebration of what a 13 year old Japanese boy likes about gaming:\

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Yea! Now we can see her down B counter and final smash that's just her slashing at one enemy:\

I'd be willing to be you the last character will be a FE character. Heck, the last two characters will be from Persona, FE, Pokemon, or King of Fighters. One thing you gotta understand is that Sakurai does/doesn't do thing in-spite of the player base(He says there are too many sword users but then makes the majority of characters added into smash sword users.) And INB4 "Nintendo chose the characters." He did - https://twitter.com/sora_sakurai/status/1059958604818657282?lang=en ( Sakurai did go to the owner of Atlus and asked for that anime guy + he did say no to Cuphead.)

The last character will be a FE character just to piss people off and give everyone the finger.

I'd be nice if Smash was an actual celebration of gaming and not a celebration of what a 13 year old Japanese boy likes about gaming:\
I assume you're joking but who knows. I'm not sure about Pokemon, I could see a Pokemon finish up the pass, but I highly believe that Persona, Fire Emblem, or KoF won't be in the rest of the pass. It's probably against ToS of Smashboards to bet, but I'd put at least a few hundred towards it, hah.

You can call me whatever you want, I don't care at all, but I've liked all of the DLC so far. I like all sorts of games, cartoony platformers like Shantae, violent games like The Last of Us, action adventure like BoTW, pretty much every genre besides first person shooters, and I don't think the pass is geared towards 13 year olds at all. shrug

Top Bottom